What manufacturer(s) would you want to join F1?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SUPER NUMBBER
  • 143 comments
  • 8,186 views
McLaren did test with the Lamborghini engine and from what I understand Senna loved it – IIRC the fact that McLaren wouldn’t race with it caused a rather big fracture in the Senna/McLaren relationship.
 
McLaren did test with the Lamborghini engine and from what I understand Senna loved it – IIRC the fact that McLaren wouldn’t race with it caused a rather big fracture in the Senna/McLaren relationship.

thats one of the reasons he left.

if only mclaren used it... his death in 94 might of never happened :grumpy:
 
McLaren did test with the Lamborghini engine and from what I understand Senna loved it – IIRC the fact that McLaren wouldn’t race with it caused a rather big fracture in the Senna/McLaren relationship.
Just think - if Lamborghini had supplied McLaren for '94, then maybe the company would have had a bit of success with the support of a top team. Then they'd have a good motorsport heritige.
 
McLaren did test with the Lamborghini engine and from what I understand Senna loved it – IIRC the fact that McLaren wouldn’t race with it caused a rather big fracture in the Senna/McLaren relationship.
I was under the impression that Lamborghini's philosophy was to to compete with their cars or engines. When they relented and supplied Larousse (I think) and were unsuccessful, it probably reaffirmed the notion that Lamborghini shouldn't be in motorsports. Maybe that had something to do with the failed McLaren/Lamborghini marriage.

But I've been wrong before ...
 
I thought the lambo engines were not good enough for the job.
 
Lotus & Porsche.

I don't see why there will be a USA F1 team ever. America is probably the only country in the world where most people have no clue who Schumi is.

QFT!

I'll add mine.

Team Lotus return as a chassis builder from Proton......Use either Lamborghini, Judd, Yamaha, Mugen, Cosworth, or other power plant.

From the Prodrive Camp - Aston Martin
From the Tata Camp - Jaguar
From VW Group - Audi/Porsche Car

From the U.S.A.

Ford and G.M. but they will probably have to find a chassis builder so they would essentially be the engine constructor.
 
And we know that will be illegal soon.

What if RUF entered a car, perhaps improving on a Porsche F1 racer?
 
Team Lotus return as a chassis builder from Proton......Use either Lamborghini, Judd, Yamaha, Mugen, Cosworth, or other power plant.

...

Ford and G.M. but they will probably have to find a chassis builder so they would essentially be the engine constructor.

No new engines are allowed to enter. Only designs that existed and were homologated before the freeze may enter F1. So the only thing they can do is wait for it to be over (2017 if all goes according to the current plan, or 2012 if they agree on a new design), or rebadge existing engines.

Or instead focus on sportscars, and fine-tune those big, brawny V8s to sing like they did at Silverstone today.

From the Prodrive Camp - Aston Martin
From the Tata Camp - Jaguar

Why? Jaguar just tried recently, and failed. The team is now quite successful as Red Bull.

And Prodrive wanted to enter, but didn't when customer-cars were banned.

What if RUF entered a car, perhaps improving on a Porsche F1 racer?

RUF is an overglorified tuner-company. I doubt they have to funds to compete at F1 levels. On top of that, assuming Porsche entered F1 in the first place, and built a somewhat-competitive car - I don't think they would willingly share the design with anyone. Or that a small tuner without a wind-tunnel (at least for now) would be able to improve on that design...
 
Err... When did Subaru field an F1 car?
Well they have never fielded a Formula One car, but they have powered a Formula One car. At least they came close to it, however, these Subaru cars were never raced.

First there was the Minardi M188 Subaru of 1988. Minardi lost intrest because the engine had a massive lack of power...

And then there was the Coloni C3B and afterwards the C3C from 1990, again never raced. Probably because of the same reason!
 
No new engines are allowed to enter. Only designs that existed and were homologated before the freeze may enter F1. So the only thing they can do is wait for it to be over (2017 if all goes according to the current plan, or 2012 if they agree on a new design), or rebadge existing engines.

.

Your right, i forgot about the ten year engine development ban.

Damn, that was dumb.
 
Yeah, that's a sure fire way to get more manufacturers into F1, Mosley! Way to go!

:grumpy:
 
One has to wonder why people keep wanting the VAG when:

*Lamborghini engines wasn't even raced

*Porsche abandoned their F1 Project

*Audi won't race in a series that isn't relevent to its road cars.

I do have to ask though, can the designs of the existing cars be modified for approval or is it restriced as well?
 
really though, mazda needs to join F1 and lotus needs to make a comeback
 
really though, mazda needs to join F1 and lotus needs to make a comeback

Although I do respect Mazda, I don't think they need to join F1. I think their ace is the rotory engine, which wouldn't be allowed in F1.

Lotus coming back would be great.
 
I do have to ask though, can the designs of the existing cars be modified for approval or is it restriced as well?

Assuming you actually manage to modify an existing (open-wheel) car to FIA-spec levels of safety, your design will probably be overweight, not structurally rigid enough, and will probably have some parts that are too large. Never mind the fact that it'll be about as fast as a snail compared to purposely-designed F1 cars.

And as for regular cars... it's hopeless.
 
But they can't. No new engines are allowed to enter Formula 1 for the next 8 years.


Didn't this thread run it's course about halfway through the first page? Now it's just re-suggestions of already-said manufacturers, and most of them haven't got a hope in hell. That being said, that new group trying to purchase Aguri may be backed by something bigger...
 
But they can't. No new engines are allowed to enter Formula 1 for the next 8 years.

this thread isnt called "what manufacture/constructor would you like to see in F1 before 2016" now is it
 
Yeah, this is more like in the spirit of wishfulness. Besides, you never know if they will lift the ban before then - it's possible.
 
this thread isnt called "what manufacture/constructor would you like to see in F1 before 2016" now is it

You also forgot that Cosworth is no longer part of FoMoCo.


My point was that, since the first 20-40 posts, everybody is just repeating.
 
a company thats completely incompetent of making a piston race engine :dunce:

even then, they can get assistance from Cosworth to build an F1 engine.

I think they are definitely competent and might even be competitive, but they wouldn't really bring anything that new to the sport. Other companies suggested might bring something new or have a previous history with the sport. But I guess with the rules being so tight there really might not be that much new to bring. Ok, Mazda F1 works for me, as long as Lotus comes back as well.
 
My point was that, since the first 20-40 posts, everybody is just repeating.

Has anyone said an engine produced by the Allison Turbine Co. into a Formula 1 car? A Howmet would see innovation (albeit very short-lasting innovation) or at least an attempt to break rules in an otherwise strict event. After the Lotus 56, who knows what could be done with the modern turbine.
 
At the moment, nothing - engines are required to have 8 pistons at set angles and dimensions...
 
I suppose that it was just an idle thought on my part... have they cracked Le Mans after the Rover-BRM project?
 
*has a Indiana idea:idea:* Need Riley and Scott to build the chassis, right down the street from the Speedway, perfect test track, then take the Honda engine (note: Honda is currently building a plant in Greensburg, IN as I speak... and with the it being the ONLY IRL Engine supplier, it only makes sense), some good Drivers (Takuma Sato, you're Hired!!! Who else, you guys can decide.) Add in some American Financial backing (let's see technical supplier would be Marathon Oil, Sprint as main sponsor to tick off AT&T Williams F1... you can all decide some of the others)... add all that together and we have an F1 team! :):sly::lol::dopey: Its nice to dream, isn't? ;)👍
 
I want Jaguar to come back, with that nice green...
maybe bring Irvine back out of retirement and get de la Rossa (SP) back into racing
hahaha
 
Sad but true. But 200,000 show up on given weekend to watch guys in crude cars turning LEFT, LEFT, LEFT...
They're are a few, sitting in the wee hours, eyes glued to TV watching the best drivers on earth.

I can see you're insulting NASCAR with that statement (yes i am a NASCAR fan). no offense but you have the typical stereotype of someone that is not a NASCAR fan, someone who has no idea of the time and money put into tuning and windtunnel testing. Though not as much in F1, but the reason for that is the stock cars don't have so many wings and aerodynamic things on it, the body still looks very close to something you would drive on the street. I hate to see people always bashing NASCAR.

on the subject on F1, I do watch it, I have a DVR, I record the races so I don't have to stay up 'til some ridiculous hour of the morning to watch the race. I used to not like F1 because there were to many driver aids like TC and ASM, the 7-speed paddle shift transmission. Compare that to NASCAR, no driver aids except power steering with a 4-speed stick shift and compareable HP. Now tell me, which do you think takes more skill to drive, the one with all the driving aids or the one without any?
 
Here's an apple and an orange. Which takes more skill to eat?

The skills you need to drive an F1 car are completely different to those needed to drive a NASCAR. Anything else on the subject is just retrodden ground here.

Incidentally, F1 cars don't have TC and ASM anymore. NASCARs make, on a superspeedway, something like 4 gearshifts a lap? Sometimes none, on the really fast ones? F1 cars change gear more often in one corner. That doesn't make them better, or require more or less skill than NASCARs, but it does explain why they need a 7 speed semi automatic.
 
I want Jaguar to come back, with that nice green...
maybe bring Irvine back out of retirement and get de la Rossa (SP) back into racing
hahaha

Only if they keep a consistent team together - that was the reason Jaguar failed so badly, they kept changing their staff every year and it meant that everytime they improved on anything, it was thrown away because they replaced someone again.
Though this was more Ford's fault than anyone's.

I'd like to see Prodrive (as Aston Martin) make an entrance at some point, but I think, like Jaguar, they are going to focus on what they are successful at right now - sportcars, specifically the Le Mans and GT series. They'd also require some serious money and time to make the chassis and either make an engine or find a supplier (seeing as they can't use customer cars).
I'd also be interested to see an American effort appear but hopefully not under Ford.
Lastly, it would be nice to see a new French team appear, as the hole that Ligier/Prost left has not really been filled. A Spanish team would be interesting too.
 
I can see you're insulting NASCAR with that statement (yes i am a NASCAR fan). no offense but you have the typical stereotype of someone that is not a NASCAR fan, someone who has no idea of the time and money put into tuning and windtunnel testing. Though not as much in F1, but the reason for that is the stock cars don't have so many wings and aerodynamic things on it, the body still looks very close to something you would drive on the street. I hate to see people always bashing NASCAR.

on the subject on F1, I do watch it, I have a DVR, I record the races so I don't have to stay up 'til some ridiculous hour of the morning to watch the race. I used to not like F1 because there were to many driver aids like TC and ASM, the 7-speed paddle shift transmission. Compare that to NASCAR, no driver aids except power steering with a 4-speed stick shift and compareable HP. Now tell me, which do you think takes more skill to drive, the one with all the driving aids or the one without any?

The one with something other than banked turns.
 
Back