What movies have you seen lately? Now with reviews!Movies 

• Thread starter scentedsoap
  • 8,159 comments
Was aware of this from early trailers, being a Ben Wheatley film (A Feild in England, Sightseers, High Rise and Kill List amongst others) Finally got to see it and thoroughly enjoyed it. I mean, Sharlto Copley, Killian Murphy, Michael Smiley and Sam Riley, Noah Talyor too. Probably the best post-Scorsese or Tarantino shoot-fest I've seen for a long while (oddly enough Scorsese was a producer.)

I saw this recently and enjoyed it, it went really fast and you didn't know who was going to get shot next!

Documentary on Ferrari Gran Prix in the 50's. I'm not sure if this has been mentioned on here before (without going back over the pages). I have had this a while but not watched it until recently, it is such a shame so many young talented men died before 35, along with the crowd. You can see how the safety features have gradually been worked in the sport. They were dangerous open top powerful machines of the day. The brave photographers used to lay on the grass before the corners! Very interesting and enjoyable.

Last edited:
...Finally, finally got around finishing Logan. Whew. The disc's been sitting gathering dust on my desk since last year. Feels good to get it over with. Trying to avoid spoilers was real pain in the proverbial, let me tell you.

As for the moive... it's exactly as I expected it to be. Nothing surprising, nothing underwhelming, perfectly serviceable and an appropriate send-off for Mister Jackman and his tenure as the Angry One. 7/10.

Now, with Disney gobbling up Fox and the dream merger of X-Men universe and MCU getting ever so closer, I wonder, who will don the now-iconic adamantium claws in the future installments?

Don’t normally bother to review films, but just been to see The Darkest Hour.

What a magnificent performance from Gary Oldman and his supporting cast.

Fabulous piece of film making.

Ingrid Goes West - 7/10: A fun movie with a very nice dark streak right the way through it. Aubrey Plaza is a fantastic actress and nails the role. Cynical as all hell and with a chilling ending, recommended to fans of black comedy. Falls flat for the last 25 minutes.

...Just finished watching Transformers: the Last Knight.

...I want the two+ hours of my life back. This movie was utter pants. Oh boy, where do I even start with this one?!

Without a shred of doubt, I can confidently say that this is the worst film Michael Bay has made yet. By far. Disjointed story, hyperkinetic pacing, nonsensical action set pieces, cringe-worthy dialogue, humour that fails to land even once... What a waste of what could have been a potentially interesting material.

The biggest problem, I think, was the decision to turn this "story" into a single movie. If it was split into two, then I honestly think there would have been more breathing room afforded to the filmmakers and might have led them to craft a more coherent flow of events and thus, a much more watchable pair of movies as the end result.

As it stands, there are about three, four separate set pieces in the movie that would have served as perfectly serviceable final acts in other, less frentic movies. But no - Bay and Co. had to throw everything in here, including the proverbial kitchen sink and then for a good measure, a whole bunch of meaningless product placement no doubt necessiated by the newest production partners from the People's Republic of China. Argh.

Although the end credit scene left a room for another sequel, I kinda hope it does not happen until Michael Bay let someone else make it. Or, just let the franchise slowly wither away. Either would be fine, really.

Finally got to watch John Wick 2. Not as good as the first movie. The very end scene, made it a bit too farfetched from reality, based on the first movie.

...Just finished watching Transformers: the Last Knight.

...I want the two+ hours of my life back. This movie was utter pants.

There's a massive clue in the title to the expected quality of this film. Like @DesertPenguin said, did you really expect anything different?

I, Tonya. A wasted opportunity to kick-start a prequel series. Very little about early attempts at artificial intelligence and robotics. Will Smith was criminally underused. His time-travelling cop character relegated to a brief blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo appearance in the crowd. 2/5

As a young person here I don't usually watch older movies. But I was told to watch Shawshank Redemption, so I did.

That movie is a great movie I quite enjoyed it and the whole full circle moment at the end of the movie. What I really took out of this movie though was just how crappy the prison system in the US actually is, that is probably one of the truest movies I've seen in awhile as well. I know people you have been to jail and come out with exactly the same attitude and problems that two of the main characters had, and that is why I say that the US prison system and the Judicial system is not as black and white as the government wants us to realize it is. Any thats my two cents, and go watch that movie if you haven't.

P.S. It is on Netflix

There's a massive clue in the title to the expected quality of this film. Like @DesertPenguin said, did you really expect anything different?

...See, here's the thing. The first Transformers movie is one of my guilty pleasures. I really enjoyed that film. When it came out, I think I saw it probably a couple of times. I even own the DVD for it. And I also found the third film more than palatable.

Most importantly, I watch Michael Bay movies for mindless action. I know what to expect from his films. I am not (I think) one of those people who disparage his movies simply because it's one action set piece after another. No, when I'm in the mood for such a thing, his films are just about perfect.

So, yes. I expected it to be better than this.

Tomb Raider - 5/10: It was probably the most basic film I've seen this year. Just a pretty bland movie that tries too hard to remind you that it's based on a video game.

There's nothing really to complain about and nothing to write home about. The villain is a weird blend of pure evil and motivational evil but the movie never commits enough to either so he seems totally out of place.

There's worse movies out there to waste popcorn on.
Sets up a sequel that won't happen.

Ready Player One: 8/10 - What a fun movie! Speilberg has created a nice thrillride that is pretty much suitable for all audiences. Pure popcorn flick at its finest. Highly recommended.

I don't even want to say too much to ruin it but it is a memorising watch from start to finish. The 3rd act is a bit bulky but doesn't distract from the overall quality.

Swiss Army Man

I've never seen anything quite like it before! If you can get over the initial toilet humour and bizarre intro it becomes a heartwarming story that, in places, goes a bit overboard on the cheese but for the most part is very well acted and genuinely funny. The ending felt a little rushed to me but the performances, soundtrack and visuals are all great. I'd avoid it if you don't like quirky films or are uncomfortable with bodily functions, though.

I think this quote from the directors sums it up well: "We wanted to make a film where the first fart makes you laugh and the last one makes you cry"

Black Panther 9/10
Tomb Raider 7.0/10 (In 4DX, otherwise 6.0/10)
Pacific Rim Uprising 8.5/10
Ready Player One 8.0/10

Black Panther is incredible and among my top three Marvel movies (The original Iron Man and Guardians of the Galaxy being the other two).
All the moving, shaking and soaking go a long way to enjoy a rather generic origin story for the Tomb Rider. I do like Alicia Vikander's physical presence though.
Both Pacific Rim and Ready Player One were great big fun!
I´m looking forward to watching A Quiet Place, and I have Annihilation in my queue.

Last edited:
....Just finished watching the Wolf Warrior 2.

That was a....uh, interesting experience. Objectively, it's a crap movie. But, subjectively, I can see why it earned nearly a billion dollars at the worldwide box office. Actually, I was expecting to see an extrovert, totally incoherent and shamelessly patriotic piece of nonsensical propaganda. While it's not entirely about those, this film still has enough of them to appeal to the current masses of the Xi Jinping-era China. Probably.

Bizarrely enough, it's not a martial arts movie - I wouldn't categorise it as one - but structured more like a traditional Hollywood action film. I found that slightly odd, to say the least. I wouldn't recommend this film to the trad Chinese action movie fans simply because of that.

In a prelude to going to the theatre on Saturday, we watched Super Troopers, even though I have seen the movie a dozen times. Followed that up with a screening of Super Troopers 2 on Saturday. If you enjoyed the first, then I would guess you would also enjoy the second.

Just went and saw two movies: A Quiet Place, which I'd rate good/great, and Isle of Dogs which I'd rate great/great.

Other movies I've watched recently: The Last Samurai (great/great), Ugetsu Monogatari (ok/great), Ichi the Killer (good/great), Princess Minerva (bad/great) and Annihilation (good/great).

Ready Player One - 8/10
Rather enjoyed this a lot, so much going on in the background with references and so on.

Was just able to go see this today as well, and I would give it an 8/10 too. Spielberg did a good job with the story... I did read the book a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it (and, of course there is quite a bit left out). In fact, I was talking about it at work one day and another guy had said that he listened to it on audible, so I downloaded it and have "listened" to it twice more.

My wife even enjoyed it, and although we both were early teens/teens in the 80's, I was afraid it would be too nerdy for her. She really enjoyed the story and the nostalgia aspect of it though. Will definitely watch it again.

large_m0sBfKZpDns5x4u7sWTBPhgiAJn.jpg

Virus... I used to be obsessed with this movie when I was a kid, but I haven't seen it since. The last time I watched it, it was a double feature with Blue's Clues. But that finally changed last night when I finally got around to rewatching it (sadly not followed by Blue's Clues this time).

Now that I'm much older than 8, I can now appreciate this movie's many shortcomings and can see why it got critically panned... but to be honest, I still quite enjoyed it and think that critics might've been a little bit too harsh on it. I mean c'mon, 19 on Metacritic? That should at least be 29! My Jamie Lee Curtis crush has subsided since when I originally saw Virus, but she's still a badass here. The visual effects alternate between surprisingly effective and amusingly bad, but they're always entertaining. The script is facepalm-inducing at times, but that can be overlooked if you don't take the movie too seriously and just enjoy it as a B movie with an A budget. And as a Navy vet, I personally just really dig the whole "sci-fi body horror movie that takes place on military ship" premise of Virus.

I rate it "so-so"

Last edited:
The Greatest Showman. Loved it.
Hugh Jackman was brilliant, all the cast were actually. If thats his real voice, man he can sing. A really fun upbeat musical.

Yea he genuinely enjoys singing and doing musicals. One thing I learned from taking chorus for the first time when in college for music is that literally everyone can sing well. All it takes is proper instruction on how to use it. I was really impressed with how good I could sound when I tried and it was addictive.

Wathed Hidden Figures. I give it 9,5/10
Brilliant film, caught it by chance on Sky Movies. Not seen it advertised anywhere which is a shame as it was pure quality.
Enjoyed it through out and would highly recommend it. One of the best films I've watched this year.

Saw Eddie The Eagle on TV the other night.
Not bad, quite predictable with it's underdog triumph over adversity theme. Likable well portrayed characters and a decent recreation of the 80's feel and the 88 Calgary Olympics.

I just finished Little Evil. Coming from the director of Tucker and Dalr vs. Evil, which is purely the reason I watched it, it was alright but quite forgettable.

5/10

Now on to Cargo.

Watched The Martian for the first time, considering the praise and hype about it I thought it was pretty poor. Maybe a 3/5

It felt completely like a recruitment/propaganda video for Nasa or a career in Engineering, was like a film you are shown in a classroom as I'm sure it probably is. Also it didn't know what it was trying to be, it wasn't dramatic enough to be gripping, funny enough to be a comedy etc etc. Actually the tone fluctuated so jarringly that it made it cringe worthy at times. The characters were wooden and not fleshed out and it never felt emotional enough to make you care about any of what was going on.

Basically he and a few others did some cool science and maths and that saved the day, like a slightly patronising educational children's book. I don't know what the directors cut is like but the theatrical cut was messy. Also the sets were on the cheap side, lots of Ikea and Aeroplane parts going on. The waste bins were pavement grit bins, seriously!? All in all it was certainly watchable but totally forgettable. Best bit for me was him digging up Pathfinder with Sojourner who is still a cute microwave on wheels.

Considering this is Riley Scott (Alien) and it had a budget of $108 mil I would highlight the film The Last Days On Mars.

If you set aside that its a horror B-movie and ignore the horror element it was a much better Mars peril movie than this. It had better sets, better acting and was made for a lot less. Sure the critics didn't like it but I'm starting to get that those critics are dumb when it comes to science and basically need their ignorance insulted to think somethings great. "Wow I didn't know you could make water or grow Potatoes like that, 5 stars!"

Back