What movies have you seen lately? Now with reviews!Movies 

• Thread starter scentedsoap
  • 8,163 comments
Watched The Martian for the first time, considering the praise and hype about it I thought it was pretty poor. Maybe a 3/5

It felt completely like a recruitment/propaganda video for Nasa or a career in Engineering, was like a film you are shown in a classroom as I'm sure it probably is. Also it didn't know what it was trying to be, it wasn't dramatic enough to be gripping, funny enough to be a comedy etc etc. Actually the tone fluctuated so jarringly that it made it cringe worthy at times. The characters were wooden and not fleshed out and it never felt emotional enough to make you care about any of what was going on.

Basically he and a few others did some cool science and maths and that saved the day, like a slightly patronising educational children's book. I don't know what the directors cut is like but the theatrical cut was messy. Also the sets were on the cheap side, lots of Ikea and Aeroplane parts going on. The waste bins were pavement grit bins, seriously!? All in all it was certainly watchable but totally forgettable. Best bit for me was him digging up Pathfinder with Sojourner who is still a cute microwave on wheels.

Considering this is Riley Scott (Alien) and it had a budget of $108 mil I would highlight the film The Last Days On Mars.

If you set aside that its a horror B-movie and ignore the horror element it was a much better Mars peril movie than this. It had better sets, better acting and was made for a lot less. Sure the critics didn't like it but I'm starting to get that those critics are dumb when it comes to science and basically need their ignorance insulted to think somethings great. "Wow I didn't know you could make water or grow Potatoes like that, 5 stars!"

I personally enjoyed the movie, but I read the book beforehand which probably helped. The movie definitely rushes through things and glosses over details, at the expense of the intensity of the drama. But the book was written by a computer scientist who was anal about scientific detail and accuracy, which is probably why it felt like a patronizing recruitment video to you... I don't mind my sci-fi dry though. In fact, I may even prefer it.

Watched Atomic Blonde last night and it was amazing. The story may have been a bit predictable but I think fight scenes and the performances of Theron and McAvoy definitely made it worth it. The soundtrack was absolutely amazing as well. Favourite part of the film definitely has to be that stairwell fight scene. Such a brutal and amazingly shot scene which looked a lot more realistic than what you'd see in typical action films.

My_Neighbor_Totoro_-_Tonari_no_Totoro_%28Movie_Poster%29.jpg

My Neighbor Totoro
Hayao Miyazaki

So, recently, we got a whole bunch of Hayao Miyazaki films... and we started off with one that I thought my daughter would best appreciate, seeing as Princess Mononoke is violent, Spirited Away is full of monsters and Nausicaa is full of people shooting each other (she hates that).

It's worth noting that the title character, Totoro appears in only four or five scenes throughout the entire movie. And yet Totoro has become an iconic figure in Japanese animation. I won a plushie once at an arcade, which I gave to a girl in Taiwan. (looong time ago). Back then, I watched Totoro in the original Japanese. Didn't understand a single word, and the subtitles were in Chinese. But I loved it.

As I watched this movie a dog's age ago (literally), upon re-watching, I was surprised by how laid-back the pace was compared to more modern children's animations. And yet, it's precisely that which immerses you in the world of Totoro. There is no rush-but between important scenes and there are no "adult jokes" to fill in the "boring" parts. You live the life of two sisters as they settle in and adjust to their new surroundings and as they become acquainted with their new neighbors and the spirits of the forest.

The main characters come off as very authentic (being a parent and a former kid), and the oft-nostalgic way in which Miyazaki views rural (pre-war?) Japan is very touching (having much of my childhood post-US surrounded by rice-paddies, I could relate).

The true litmus test would be my daughter. Despite fidgeting her way through modern children's movie classics like "Up" and "Toy Story 3", she watched the film completely entranced. And then asked for it again the next day. Totoro is a visual storybook that's simple in premise and execution, yet rich in detail. Perfect for kids... and adults... alike.

I guess there's something to be said for the "old-school", huh?

9/10 (not Miyazaki's best work, ending decidedly low-key)
Great review @niky - I just saw the film for the first time this weekend - and despite my slight reservations during the kiddie-cartoon-ish intro, my (very high) expectations were exceeded... it really is a stunningly understated masterpiece, and a joy to watch.

One reason I wanted to watch it now was because I brought back some Ghibli figurines from Japan for my nephew, including one of Totoro. As I expected, he was a tad non-plussed by them, since he has never seen any Studio Ghibli movies, so I reckoned it would be a good idea to buy a couple on Blu-ray so he can watch them at his leisure... however I have my doubts that he would like this (he's just turned 10) - given a few years have now passed, what do you think your daughter would make of it now? I may be wrong but I think this movie would be too 'easy going' for my nephew (or any of his wee pals for that matter), and he's too young to appreciate the film in the same way that I did. I can see how the movie appeals so well to young children and adults, but I reckon it might be a tough sell to a 10 y.o. boy!

Great review @niky - I just saw the film for the first time this weekend - and despite my slight reservations during the kiddie-cartoon-ish intro, my (very high) expectations were exceeded... it really is a stunningly understated masterpiece, and a joy to watch.

One reason I wanted to watch it now was because I brought back some Ghibli figurines from Japan for my nephew, including one of Totoro. As I expected, he was a tad non-plussed by them, since he has never seen any Studio Ghibli movies, so I reckoned it would be a good idea to buy a couple on Blu-ray so he can watch them at his leisure... however I have my doubts that he would like this (he's just turned 10) - given a few years have now passed, what do you think your daughter would make of it now? I may be wrong but I think this movie would be too 'easy going' for my nephew (or any of his wee pals for that matter), and he's too young to appreciate the film in the same way that I did. I can see how the movie appeals so well to young children and adults, but I reckon it might be a tough sell to a 10 y.o. boy!

Ten might just be over the limit, considering he's a boy... girls that age can still relate, but I think you missed the bus there with the kid by a few years.

I think the best point of entry for a ten year old might be one of the more action oriented ones, like Nausicaa or Porco Rosso. Gateway drug, then onto some of the more cutesy stuff.

Watched T2 Trainspotting yesterday. Having not seen the first movie, and only having read reviews about it, I only had a minor idea of what I was in for. I knew that the title had absolutely nothing to do with the contents of the movie, and that it was going to be very edgy. However, I was pleasantly surprised that enough of the characters' backstories were revealed, as they had to deal with the 20-year timeshift in-universe too. The main thing that stood out for me was its incredibly objective display of drug addiction, not giving lip-service to either side of the moral spectrum. Loved the soundtrack, it was incredibly immersive. The only negatives to take away was that the intimate scene at the beginning of the movie could've been a bit less obnoxious, and they could've supplied subtitles for some of the thick Scottish dialects. :lol:

Ten might just be over the limit, considering he's a boy... girls that age can still relate, but I think you missed the bus there with the kid by a few years.

I think the best point of entry for a ten year old might be one of the more action oriented ones, like Nausicaa or Porco Rosso. Gateway drug, then onto some of the more cutesy stuff.
I watched Porco Rosso last night - I thought it was brilliant, though I fear that it is too adult in terms of its underlying themes to appeal to him either. However I have now just ordered Nausicaa (and three more Studio Ghibli Blu-rays, bringing my total to 8 this week!) and I think Laputa: Castle in the Sky and Howl's Moving Castle are prime candidates!

Watched T2 Trainspotting yesterday. Having not seen the first movie, and only having read reviews about it, I only had a minor idea of what I was in for. I knew that the title had absolutely nothing to do with the contents of the movie, and that it was going to be very edgy. However, I was pleasantly surprised that enough of the characters' backstories were revealed, as they had to deal with the 20-year timeshift in-universe too. The main thing that stood out for me was its incredibly objective display of drug addiction, not giving lip-service to either side of the moral spectrum. Loved the soundtrack, it was incredibly immersive. The only negatives to take away was that the intimate scene at the beginning of the movie could've been a bit less obnoxious, and they could've supplied subtitles for some of the thick Scottish dialects. :lol:
I'm glad you liked it, but I'm surprised you watched it without having watched the first movie first! I noticed that it is carefully plotted to work well as a stand alone movie, given the 20-year gap between the original and the sequel.

I enjoyed the original film when it first came out, but to my surprise it has really grown on me since then and I now have it on Blu-ray. I'd read the book (highly recommended, though even I found some of the language tricky to follow, and I'm from Edinburgh!) and seen the play (which really made the book famous) before the first movie was ever made, and so the film had a lot to live up to - however it not only succeeded, but has stood the test of time well too.

I watched Porco Rosso last night - I thought it was brilliant, though I fear that it is too adult in terms of its underlying themes to appeal to him either. However I have now just ordered Nausicaa (and three more Studio Ghibli Blu-rays, bringing my total to 8 this week!) and I think Laputa: Castle in the Sky and Howl's Moving Castle are prime candidates!

Forgot about those! Straight up high adventure, should appeal to him well.

I finally got a chance to watch Fight Club. I really enjoyed it. I definitely see how Mr. Robot is heavily influenced by it. But, I don't really like the ending.

like, he just killed himself and he's like perfectly fine?? And Marla is like perfectly fine about it? And they're just gonna hold hands like that? I don't think it's a good ending but I have no idea how I could improve on it without adding more time to the movie

Last edited:
I finally got a chance to watch Fight Club. I really enjoyed it. I definitely see how Mr. Robot is heavily influenced by it. But, I don't really like the ending.

like, he just killed himself and he's like perfectly fine?? And Marla is like perfectly fine about it? And they're just gonna hold hands like that? I don't think it's a good ending but I have no idea how I could improve on it without adding more time to the movie

A bullet through the cheek won't kill you. The narrator purposely missed his brain with the shot. But having wrested control, finally, from Tyler Durden, he could obscure the fact that he would.

Basically he did the one thing his psychotic alternate self wasn't psychotic enough to do: Commit suicide. Or seemingly commit suicide.

Marla is confused by what's happening, but she recognizes, likely, which Tyler Durden is in control, because she finally understands Tyler's split personality.

v1.bTsxMjYxMjk1NTtqOzE3NzQwOzEyMDA7Njc0OzEwMDA

The Strangers Prey at Night..... >>IMDB Link<<

Watched this last night and I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected 👍 For a low budget movie and a cast of about 12 people it certainly kept me watching :) Good acting by the youngsters playing the prey, but the guy running about with the axe is just something else haha! I'm sure they took someone out on day release from the loonie bin to cover his role ;)

Nice low budget very effective and watchable slasher movie :cheers:

My_Neighbor_Totoro_-_Tonari_no_Totoro_%28Movie_Poster%29.jpg

My Neighbor Totoro
Hayao Miyazaki

So, recently, we got a whole bunch of Hayao Miyazaki films... and we started off with one that I thought my daughter would best appreciate, seeing as Princess Mononoke is violent, Spirited Away is full of monsters and Nausicaa is full of people shooting each other (she hates that).

It's worth noting that the title character, Totoro appears in only four or five scenes throughout the entire movie. And yet Totoro has become an iconic figure in Japanese animation. I won a plushie once at an arcade, which I gave to a girl in Taiwan. (looong time ago). Back then, I watched Totoro in the original Japanese. Didn't understand a single word, and the subtitles were in Chinese. But I loved it.

As I watched this movie a dog's age ago (literally), upon re-watching, I was surprised by how laid-back the pace was compared to more modern children's animations. And yet, it's precisely that which immerses you in the world of Totoro. There is no rush-but between important scenes and there are no "adult jokes" to fill in the "boring" parts. You live the life of two sisters as they settle in and adjust to their new surroundings and as they become acquainted with their new neighbors and the spirits of the forest.

The main characters come off as very authentic (being a parent and a former kid), and the oft-nostalgic way in which Miyazaki views rural (pre-war?) Japan is very touching (having much of my childhood post-US surrounded by rice-paddies, I could relate).

The true litmus test would be my daughter. Despite fidgeting her way through modern children's movie classics like "Up" and "Toy Story 3", she watched the film completely entranced. And then asked for it again the next day. Totoro is a visual storybook that's simple in premise and execution, yet rich in detail. Perfect for kids... and adults... alike.

I guess there's something to be said for the "old-school", huh?

9/10 (not Miyazaki's best work, ending decidedly low-key)

Since @Touring Mars brought this one up, I'd like to share that I too watched this movie very recently for the first time. It's not intended for first viewing by a 37 year old, but it holds its own anyway. It opens slow, is very original, is quite immersive, and ultimately delivers a good punch. When my kids asked to watch it again I was surprised - because of how unique it is and how slow the pace is, but the more they watched it the more I really appreciated the world that it creates. Now I'm finding myself encouraging it onto the birthday gift list for one of them.

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) - 7/10

A light-hearted and entertaining story from the Star Wars universe.
The plot is predictable and the film lacks that spark of greatness, but it’s still a fun adventure with a good cast of familiar and new characters.
Good acting, great music, and superb special effects throughout that really bring the film to life, although the editing between some of the scenes is a bit abrupt

Speaking of Star Wars... I'm a bit behind, but I finally got around to watching Rogue One. Thoroughly excellent, head and shoulders above The Force Awakens (in my opinion).

I give it my highest rating: Great. 👍

Speaking of Star Wars... I'm a bit behind, but I finally got around to watching Rogue One. Thoroughly excellent, head and shoulders above The Force Awakens (in my opinion).

I give it my highest rating: Great. 👍

I really enjoyed Rogue One, of all the newer Star Wars movies I also put it at the top.

Re-watched Ant-Man yesterday for the first time since seeing it at the cinema. It was the next movie after AoU and at the time I was thinking “this could make things interesting”, here’s to hoping the sequel does the same.

Paul Rudd is fantastic, incredible transition from Tim and Erics Awesome Show to miniature super hero on the big screen. Michael Douglas does a great job playing Hank Pym, even Corey Stoll does a great job of playing a villain to loathe.

9/10

Wait a second, you only know Paul Rudd from Tim and Eric's Awesome Show (Great Job!)?
No of course I know him from other movies, I’m just referencing where he was, to where he’s at now.

Oh and just remembered he was in Friends too! Shame his character married Phoebe, she’s just the worst.

Saw Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom in 3D IMAX a few days ago. Not as bad as I had feared, in fact, I rather enjoyed it. The new director does a stunning job on the visual side and on delivering tension not seen since the first two movies. I especially like how he goes for long running shots rather than cutting to new angles constantly. It really makes for some intense scenes that make the dangers facing the characters all the more real. For an example, and this is a slight spoiler, although it was pretty much given away in the trailer, but when they roll off the island in one of the visitor balls seen in the first JW, the camera stays with the characters as the ball fills up with water, not cutting to new angles until the ball is finally opened. I absolutely loved how this was done, as it does a better job at immersing the viewer into the scene.

The Indoraptor is genuinely scary and while it does make the movie more of a "monster" flick rather than an adventure, as the previous ones were, it's not a bad change at all. The movie also further develops on the themes of genetic science in ways that feel appropriate.

Things that I did not like were how over the top it sometimes were, especially during the volcano eruption. The writing is really bad in places, and most of the new characters, especially the human antagonists, are frankly awful. Bad guys motivated solely by greed just aren't interesting. Also not a fan of what I considered forced references to the older movies. Paying homage to the JP heritage, such as done with the Wranglers in the first Jurassic World, is great. But Fallen Kingdom had several scenes that are very similar to what we've seen in the newer Star Wars movies, in the way that they outright copy certain scenes or dialogue to bring nostalgia. This is, I think, the worst way to do it. It feels out of place, and instead of inciting nostalgia, it just makes you cringe.

last notes. If you're looking for a monster movie that, at times, is genuinely really intense, then Fallen Kingdom is not at all a bad watch. I fully recommend watching it IMAX, as there are many scenes taking advantage of the wider format. and it looks gorgeous. The 3D I hardly noticed, and the only reason I saw it in 3D was because that was the only way I could see it in IMAX.

Saw Avengers iWar. It's like every other Marvel movie except loooooooong.

Saw Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom this evening. With each film the plot line gets more and more implausible but the action improves. I won't say much other than it feels weird having most of the film not set on one of the main islands. However one thing that's bugged me in every film so far is how the T Rex is able to sneak up completely out of nowhere onto people or other dinosaurs; anyone or anything with the slightest awareness would see a six-tonne predator coming a mile off, and emphasised by the iconic footstep rumble in the first movie.

I also saw Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom recently, it's a half decent popcorn flick, there's frustratingly little depth despite the huge potential the film has. It spent less time on the island than I expected. The cinematography was great, the camera shots, the special effects, they were all great, however the set pieces themselves were nothing special, which was a shame. Actually I tell a lie, the run down the mountain as the volcanoe exploded was great, but they need to make the T-Rex and Velociraptor scary again. They've been the heroes for too long, too many times, and as @PeterJB said, how the T-Rex can suddenly appear without anyone or anything noticing, so many times in one film, let along in the series, is just bizzare. It's the money shot, I get it, but make the T-Rex approaching a specatacle, the originall did, and build from there.

Jurrassic World: Fallen Kingdom - 5/10 Honestly, this didn't need made at all. You could argue the original JW shouldn't have been made either but at least that was exciting.

The sequel jumps the shark with ridiculous plot twists, further recycling of militarized Dino's and feels like the placeholder to introduce a third film where it really goes all in with the plot being built up in this movie.

I'd give this one a pass...

I loathed Blade Runner 2049 when it hit theatres last year but I'm starting to warm up to it, appreciate it.

What's better, that or the Netflix series Altered Carbon? Seems like they were going for the same vibe.
Very subjective.

BR 2049 is good on it's own but I hate it as a sequel to the original Blade Runner.

AC's great looking and sets up a very interesting world. The first two episodes are heavy, dense with exposition, and don't do a good job of making you like the characters. In short they are no fun. But don’t let that fool you. From the third episode on it gets much better. Overall it is a good show.

Sicario Soldado (2018) - 7/10

Another successful entry in the Sicario series, but not as gripping or as thrilling as the first.
Good story, showing the brutal and bloody side of modern warfare against terrorism, but seems to run out of ideas half way through and keeps repeating itself. Tense with tight action scenes and solid acting from the leads, if a bit on the grim side.

I also recently saw Blade Runner 1 and 2049. I loved both of them. I've read the book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep before watching both and I think the movie does a really good job of telling the story even though it omitted some points that I would have preferred were kept. I personally don't like watching old movies. The pacing and visuals put me off, but the original Blade Runner (the last final version that people recommend) was very enjoyable to watch. 2049 was like watching pure art. The visuals, story telling, everything was spectacular. I really regret not seeing it in theaters.

I watched the Criterion Collection Blu-ray of Moonrise Kingtom. Not a bad movie at all. I think Wes Anderson is one of those where you either love it or hate it.

Rampage 8/10:
I was entertained, right up to the final scenes and just one part of it ruined the immersion. However, the final comedic scene at the very end, negated that "Aw, C'MON. BS!".

It was a nice start from the opening scene to the start of the end credits.

What I'm seeing more frequently, are once no-name actors, being paired in movies from the past. Kind of cool to see two actors from Watchmen, nearly switching their roles in this movie.

I Feel Pretty 6/10:
It's almost like a female Shallow Hal. Just not as good. Had a few funny bits, but don't know about Amy Schumer. Is she trying to be the female Will Farrell(Ferrell?)?

I'd been wanting to see The Accountant for a while and just got around to it last night so you'll have to deal with the necro-quotes. :)
the so-so "twists" which I saw coming a hundred miles away.
To an extent, I agree that some of them were pretty transparent. But I dare you to say that you saw the first one with the puzzle coming. Caught me completely by surprise and was there to reinforce just how analytical his mind is. On a level we can't comprehend and not finishing a task is truly devastating to him.
It simply takes too damn long to get going properly. The film takes 30 minutes before something untoward is even hinted at - and there's just too much fluff earlier on that could have been excised cleanly without spoiling the flow of the narrative by a smart director. Instead, you have to sit through the "riveting" scenes of our MC battling the dangerous.... spreadsheets and invoices. Hmm. :irked:
Again, I'll agree that I wasn't expecting it to start as slow as it did but I didn't find that off-putting.

Possibly because I'd just finished The Revenant (yawn).

His mind is at home with numbers and problem solving. It's the majority of what he does day in and day out. Glazing over the hum drum that is his life is removing who he is. To me, without that it would have been just another man on a mission and everyone dies movie. If I want that, I'll watch Mr. Wick again.
And when the action indeed arrives, it's oddly anti-climatic. It lacks a certain excitement, a palpable sense of danger or a mind-blowing cool factor. It sort of just happens.
They way he goes about his tasks is very matter-of-fact. There is no emotion involved, only the job; be it helping an elderly couple with tax loopholes or dropping baddies with a .50 cal.
As for Affleck's performance, I will say this - this role could very well be the simplest one for him yet. He doesn't move his facial muscles all that much in the film. Wooden doesn't even come close to describing his performance. Although you do get a glimpse of brilliance this tremendously talented actor is capable of, it's fairly hard to see here.
It's impossible to say where on the Autism scale he's supposed to fall (it's only mentioned that he's high functioning) but he's clearly not as functional as the likes of Jobs and Gates. That said, of course there isn't much in the way of smiling or emotion. He's not going to have his 🤬 eating grin from Good Will Hunting. :lol:
the film feels like an attempt at launching a franchise not too dissimilar to the likes of John Wick, The Transporter and maybe even Jason Bourne series. It sets up the character, his skill sets, his "sharp" analytical mind, all of that.

But the trouble is, unlike those films, The Accountant definitely lacks an X factor. It's too forgettable. And as an action film hoping to go multiple sequels, that's a grave sin to commit.
There are PLENTY of movies that feel like they're trying to set up for a sequel that isn't needed (I'm looking at you, The Foreigner) but I didn't feel that from this one. If felt like he'd finished the job he was working on and moving on (literally) with his life. Sure, it's obvious he'd done the same before and will continue spreadsheeting and assassinating but I didn't feel there was the intent of multiple films coming down the pipe.

Again, apologies for digging this old post out. :P

Edit: Next up - A Quiet Place

Latest Posts

Back