What Phone Do You Have?

• Thread starter benzoboy
  • 2,513 comments
I finally got my Pixel 6 last Wednesday and I've used it for about a week now.

More pictures

19d89e131320601.6192dcbab9f32.jpg

dd696f131320601.6192dcbaba558.jpg

72cc39131320601.6192dcb9b7d04.jpg

0fbeb9131320601.6192dcba34b23.jpg

e0d166131320601.6192dd57a3a73.jpg

I have some Thoughts. For context, I'm coming from a OnePlus 6 and the only phones I've had before were the OnePlus 1 and 2.

While the phone's footprint is about the same as my old OnePlus 6, it is much thicker and noticeably heavier. The edges are sharper than the rounded edges of the OnePlus 6. The power button is placed a little bit higher on the Pixel 6 than the OnePlus 6. In addition to that, the fingerprint reader is also slightly too high up. If I am holding the phone and I want to unlock it, I have to shuffle my thumb up to the power button and then shuffle it back down to hit the fingerprint reader. However, when using the always on display and also wake to lift, I now rarely have to press the power button.

Speaking of the fingerprint reader, it is under the screen. It takes a beat for it to unlock and sometimes it doesn't recognize it the first time. I do have to reapply my thumb every now and then for it to unlock. This is my first time using an under screen fingerprint reader so I don't really have a comparison, but from what I've heard people say online, OnePlus and Samsung phones are significantly faster in that regard. For the reader to read your finger, it needs to shine a light which can be really bright at night.

The screen itself is pretty good. 90hz is nice. However, there is a weird pink tint to it on the left edge when displaying gray. I believe this is probably a manufacturing error and I could probably RMA the device for it.

The cameras are good. The main shooter can take some really great pictures. It has great dynamic range and great sharpness. However, the wide angle lens is noticeable weaker. It isn't as sharp as the main lens, which is a disappointment.

I've used some of the AI features, like the magic eraser, ambient music identifier, and the improved voice to text. All of the features are incredibly useful and convenient. I have no issues with them.

While they probably use a lot of processing power, the battery life has been good. I've gotten about 6 hours of on screen time while still having a good amount of battery left at the end of the day. I haven't had to charge it at all during the day so I don't know how fast the charging is using Google's 30W charger that I got with it. Instead, I charge it while I sleep. It has a feature where it quickly charges at the start, but once it reaches a certain percentage, it stops charging. But once it is close to your morning alarm, it would finish charging. Although this is a nice feature, I do miss OnePlus 6's Dash Charging which is significantly faster.

Some other things I miss from my old phone: gestures for navigation and music and the alert slider. I dislike using Android's stock gesture controls for navigation, but I've gotten used to it at this point. On OnePlus phones, you can draw a '<' or a '>' on the screen while it's off to skip songs. I used it all the time and not having it is annoying. The alert slider was also something I used all the time in classes. Being able to quickly silence my phone without even looking at it was very useful. On the Pixel, I have to turn on the screen and open the volume slider to switch between vibrate and silence which is incredibly frustrating.

I preordered the Pixel 6 so I was able to get the Pixels Buds Series A for free. They're small and light. The case can fit in the small pocket that all jeans seem to have for some reason. The audio quality is serviceable. It connects with the Pixel 6 well and it displays the case's battery status in the phone which is nice. It does not have as much isolation as the Pioneer C5TW.

Despite all the minor complaints, the Pixel 6 is a great phone, especially at $600. If you don't mind having a large device, I'd recommend it
RIP 2021 - 2023

Google Pixel 6

On Sunday, when I went to plug in my phone to charge in the car it shut off and no longer turns on now. I think the car charger or cable somehow fried the motherboard.

I went to a Google certified repair shop and they said they can't replace the motherboard since it's no longer under warranty. I messaged Google support and they said I can send it in for a free diagnostic and quote for a repair cost, but I won't be able to recover any data since they would have to replace the entire motherboard.

Because I wasn't expecting to make a purchase at this point in time, I'm probably just gonna buy a refurbished or used Pixel 6 Pro or Pixel 7

RIP 2021 - 2023

Google Pixel 6

On Sunday, when I went to plug in my phone to charge in the car it shut off and no longer turns on now. I think the car charger or cable somehow fried the motherboard.

I went to a Google certified repair shop and they said they can't replace the motherboard since it's no longer under warranty. I messaged Google support and they said I can send it in for a free diagnostic and quote for a repair cost, but I won't be able to recover any data since they would have to replace the entire motherboard.

Because I wasn't expecting to make a purchase at this point in time, I'm probably just gonna buy a refurbished or used Pixel 6 Pro or Pixel 7
How much are they cause we may get that after our Samsung dies/gives out. I will research the pros and cons of the Google Pixel 6 before we invest in it.

How much are they cause we may get that after our Samsung dies/gives out. I will research the pros and cons of the Google Pixel 6 before we invest in it.
I ended up getting an unopened Pixel 7 from Swappa for around $450. It looks like you can get a used Pixel 6 in mint condition for $300 on Swappa.

When I was researching, it seemed like prices on Swappa were slightly lower than those on eBay after you factor in shipping.

For me, the Pixel 7 is quite a bit better than the Pixel 6. My initial impressions is that the 7 is slightly lighter and thinner, but it's noticeably more comfortable to hold. My Pixel 6 also had a screen defect where there was a pink tint to the screen at lower brightness's that my Pixel 7 does not have. The additional face unlock on the 7 is also quite convenient

Tomorrow is new phone day. It's going to be a Galaxy S23. This current S21 has been a good one except in one area, and that's night time or concert setting photography. Here it sucks. Either I have no idea what I'm doing or the camera is just that bad in low light. It drives me crazy when I'm at a concert and somebody a few feet away has a crystal clear, up close video screen while mine is distorted and blurry. It's usually the same phone I'm seeing, big red start video/picture taking button, red timer. I think I've figured out it's an iPhone. When I go to the Verizon store tomorrow to pick up the S23, I'm going to ask if I'm just doing something wrong or I'm in a wrong setting or what the problem is.

Here's some examples.

Daytime

Concert

Went with the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra. Verizon has switched from 2 year plans to 3 years so that meant the Ultra was basically the same thing I was paying for the regular S21. Supposedly the Ultra has the best camera out there. We will see.

Will be getting the Pixel 8 Pro with Pixel watch 2 lte. Both in Bay.

Should see an improvement from the Pixel 6 pro I am currently using.
I skipped 7 because of a trip.
Now with the 8 and the pixel watch added in and my trade in value is about what I would about the amount for the Pixel 8.
Case is already on the way so should be interesting to see once I get it.

I have the 7 currently, but with the $375 in trade-in credit, plus the $150 I had in Google Play credit and my work allowance for a phone I figured I'd go ahead and get the Pixel 8 and the Pixel Watch 2 LTE. It's going to cost me altogether $100.

I just updated my Pixel 7 to Android 14. I feel like the fingerprint unlock and face unlock are slightly faster, but it may be placebo. Also, I was super excited for the new lock screen customization, but honestly, I think all the clock designs are kinda ugly?

I'm still most excited for the redesigned weather app that STILL hasn't been globally released yet, which is really frustrating

After more than 5 years, I finally sent off my 8 to a well-deserved retirement. It was a really good phone and served me very nicely over the years, but it was time to move on.

So I got the 15 Pro Max as soon as the preorders opened, and it is amazing! It is such a big upgrade from the 8 and I love everything about it, fingers crossed it serves me well :)

I’m still using my iPhone 7plus which I’ve had since 13th of April 2017, been thinking of changing it to a 14 or a 15 but not desperate to change it.

Got my Pixel 8 Pro in Bay.
It's really nice. Haven't tested everything yet but just seeing what is all around.
Screen is amazing.
Pixel Watch 2 should be here next week.

I’m one of the cool kids again. I bought an Apple 15 Plus in green. It’s my first iPhone since I owned a 7.
IMG_0504.jpeg

My phone is about three years old, it's a Samsung Galaxy S7, it only takes 45 minutes for the battery to fully charge. I will have to invest in another one soon.

My phone is about three years old, it's a Samsung Galaxy S7, it only takes 45 minutes for the battery to fully charge. I will have to invest in another one soon.
Samsung S8 was my first Android, and I've never looked back. Had a new one on a two year rotation ever since.

Sammy S24 announcement tonight, perfect time for an upgrade for you!

Samsung S8 was my first Android, and I've never looked back. Had a new one on a two year rotation ever since.

Sammy S24 announcement tonight, perfect time for an upgrade for you!
I agree, I need to research Samsung 2024 models on Best Buy or any electronics store and read the reviews of how others experienced with each phone/model.

Mates 1tb model delayed till 1st Feb! Not sure what colour he got though.

That’s not ideal, not the worst delay though, I wasn’t expecting mine until Wednesday but Tesco were pretty quick on dispatch. I got the 512, realistically could have got the 256 but they had a double storage for the same price offer, on top of 12 months Disney+, free Galaxy Watch 6 and some store credit, can’t complain.

I had an interesting test with my current smartphone recently. I still rock my Samsung Galaxy A32 5G from about two or three years ago. I used my smartphone exclusively to take a bunch of pictures from the 2024 Houston "Autoboative" Show (A combination of the Houston Auto Show and Houston Boat Show). While I mostly took pictures of cars, it was the first year I exclusively used a smartphone to take my pictures. Here are some stats from my experience:

---- Samsung Galaxy A32 5G Test ---
  • From full charge, had 68% battery life left after almost three hours of walking around the show floor
  • Taken over 500 pictures at 4000x3000 resolution
  • Had used up about 2GB or 3GB of internal memory (had about 32GB free internal memory before the show)

I am now believing that this is an excellent smartphone. What is basically an entry-level or low-level Samsung Galaxy smartphone has done an amazing job of me being my own photographer. I'm going to keep this smartphone even if I get a newer one in the future. Or, I may hold onto this smartphone until it no longer works. I chose the Galaxy A32 5G when my mom and I went from Cricket to Boost Mobile. I did my research and seemed most confident about the Galaxy A32 5G. I don't need the fancy, top-level Galaxy smartphone; this one's doing me just fine. Still doing me fine today.

Back