What Phone Do You Have?

• Thread starter benzoboy
  • 2,513 comments
I recently replaced my SE K750i with an M600i (with touchscreen).

M600i01.jpg

I recently replaced my SE K750i with an M600i (with touchscreen).

M600i01.jpg

1. Excellent choice.I had a chance to work with it,and I think I'll buy one in few months.

2. Symbian freak? My friends run that site-excellent site if you need help regarding phones running symbian OS,like your does.

I've got a Nokia 33-something and I've had it for over 2 years now. It works fine and I've no intention of replacing it until it's broken.

I seem to be the only person I know who doesn't replace their phone every six months or so. Everyone else manages to break theirs, lose theirs or just get bored with it.

It can send and receive calls and text messages and that's all I'd ever use a phone for.

KM.

I currently have a Blackberry 7290:

blackberry-7290-l.gif

I'm considering replacing it with the Cingular 8525:

cingular-8525-l.gif
cingular8525.jpg

The reviews seem quite impressive, but I have not yet found anyone who actually owns one. If you do, please let me know what you think of it.

I thought I would wait for the iPhone, but there are so many unkowns & uncertainties that I could end up waiting for six months only to find out it isn't what I need or even want.

I seem to be the only person I know who doesn't replace their phone every six months or so. Everyone else manages to break theirs, lose theirs or just get bored with it.
Nope. I've had a mobile since, ohhh, 2001 or so and I'm still carrying my second phone, an LG VX4600 (I think). It's been rugged and reliable and has always offered excellent battery life. And it was cheap.

The reviews seem quite impressive, but I have not yet found anyone who actually owns one. If you do, please let me know what you think of it.

I thought I would wait for the iPhone, but there are so many unkowns & uncertainties that I could end up waiting for six months only to find out it isn't what I need or even want.
I'm in a quandry here.

My Palm Tungsten E is wearing out, and so is my wife's. We both use the handheld fairly heavily, but only really for the basics of scheduling, contacts, and games. I'm not really looking for another subscription so I can have mobile web browsing or email access 24/7.

My phone is working fine, but is a little large in form factor for what it does, and we're eligible for the typical Verizon 2-year replacement. Again, I don't need MP3s, mobile web/email, or other frou. A good camera would be a nice bonus.

I'm generally not a big fan of all-in-one devices if they compromise functionality, but then again, like Alton Brown, I dislike single-function tools, also. I'm really on the fence as to whether we should get Crackberries (or similar) or whether we should replace the phone and handheld separately.

Currently I carry my Palm in a hard case, a Swiss Army knife (speaking of multifunction tools) and my phone all in my pockets (I destroy belt clips), so it would be nice to combine the phone and handheld. OTOH I do use both at the same time, which is an issue of course.

And above all I'm not eager to sacrifice either call audio quality or battery life.

Anybody have any recommendations on which way to go? If I get a phone only, I'd like something as slim as possible that sounds good and has solid battery life. I like the look and feel of the RAZR but I've heard lots of bad things about the software, and I know nothing about signal sensitivity and sound quality - all things that would be more important than looks and size. That Samsung looks nice, but I'd be worried about a candy bar lasting long in my pocket.

One last thing - the handheld needs to support Macs (all the time) and allow me to import my Palm OS information (at least once). And I'm not really interested in waiting 6 months for an iPhone and paying $600.

Well, this was longer than I intended, but whaddaya think?

...I have to admit that I'm in somewhat of the same boat. My contract with NEXTEL should be up in March (I think), and I know they are going to ask me to switch to Sprint (given that they are trying to phase-out NEXTEL by 2009). My problem is, I'm thinking I want to go to a smart-phone with my next chance to re-sign, but the problem is that I really don't know where to go. The good news is that Sprint will have the Q by the time I'm ready to sign up, however, I'm not certain if it is the best thing out there. I'm looking to be able to use the phone at school to do some light composing that I can share between it and my PC (running XP). Beyond that, an MP3 player is a nice touch, however I already have an iPod, so I'm not sure there. Web-browsing is a big plus, but doesn't that cost extra with some kind of data-service plan? I think PCMag was saying that it would be $79 a month for the Q and the internet stuff, and that seems a bit high...

...Then there is all this stuff about WiFi-enabled phones, and I presume that is for internet connections and Skype calls. Hmmm, I dunno. Thankfully I have a few months to sort things out...

Well, my k750 got the dreaded WSOD (White Screen of Death...just like the BSOD on Windows), so next tuesday, I'll be upgrading through Cingular (surprisingly) to a Sony Ericsson W810i. I'll be unlocking it as soon as I get it though.

I'll be upgrading through Cingular (surprisingly) to a Sony Ericsson W810i. I'll be unlocking it as soon as I get it though.
OK, I've heard this term before, and usually from people/companies I don't trust. Please school me on what 'unlocking' means - I assume it means removing software that prevents it from being used on anything but its home network (in your case, Cingular). But then how do you get it programmed to work with some other network?

It doesn't remove the software, just the lock that the phone company puts on it. That way you can use it with any other phone company's sim card.

My phone has now been classed as indestructable as of today, why? I'll tell you...

...List of incidents involving my phone (Motorola V3X Blue)

Dropped 6 times (4 closed, 2 open)
I got the WSOD so I threw it at a wall, twice
...and I dropped it again in Costco today.

...and what damage has happened? I'll tell you...

2 Deep scratches, that's it

Another point is the fact my phone has got so many design flaws! Especially on the hinges, they scratch my camera lens and dig into the plastic, scratching it...

...not good

My phone has now been classed as indestructable as of today, why? I'll tell you...

...List of incidents involving my phone (Motorola V3X Blue)

Dropped 6 times (4 closed, 2 open)
I got the WSOD so I threw it at a wall, twice
...and I dropped it again in Costco today.

...and what damage has happened? I'll tell you...

2 Deep scratches, that's it

Another point is the fact my phone has got so many design flaws! Especially on the hinges, they scratch my camera lens and dig into the plastic, scratching it...

...not good
This would be better placed in this thread.

I have a cheap ass Vox 8500 prepaid phone (*hears thuds of teenagers fainting*).

It has every feature that I want: phone calls, text messages, tiny form factor, and service that’s cheap as dirt ($0.18 per minute, and you only have to load $15 every 90 days – that’s $5 a month!). I don’t need anything else in a phone, except I wish prepaids could do Bluetooth synchronization.

I have a cheap ass Vox 8500 prepaid phone (*hears thuds of teenagers fainting*).

It has every feature that I want: phone calls, text messages, tiny form factor, and service that’s cheap as dirt ($0.18 per minute, and you only have to load $15 every 90 days – that’s $5 a month!). I don’t need anything else in a phone, except I wish prepaids could do Bluetooth synchronization.

***hole, my cellphone bill was 160 EUR (135 USD?) last month.

OK, I've heard this term before, and usually from people/companies I don't trust. Please school me on what 'unlocking' means - I assume it means removing software that prevents it from being used on anything but its home network (in your case, Cingular). But then how do you get it programmed to work with some other network?

It doesn't remove the software, just the lock that the phone company puts on it. That way you can use it with any other phone company's sim card.

What FABR said is correct. I was surprised to find out that the only thing that Cingular locked out was the ability to use my own mp3's as ringtones and alarms, so all I need to do is de-brand it. De branding is different to unlocking as all it does is replace the Cingular firmware with the locked features with the OEM Sony Ericsson firmware without any specific feature blocked from use. It would still be locked to Cingular though.

As of 2 hours ago, a Sony Ericsson K800i.

Argos took my V3x back for repairs, then it came back without a Sim card, so they gave me a replacement one. Then, when the guy from Argos tried to put it in, he couldn't get the battery back in because a bit of it had melted or bent or something. So, replacement of a different phone because they don't sell V3xes anymore. And they took £20 off. Reeesult.

http://www.cingular.com/global/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/blackberry-7290-l.gif

http://www.cingular.com/global/MEDI...tal-Nitrate/Computers/Phones/cingular8525.jpg

OK... looks like I have a new top contender to consider:

SAMSUNG Ultra Smart F700
  • 3.5G Smartphone
  • Tri-band GSM 900/1800/1900 MHz
  • UMTS 2.1GHz w/ GPRS, EDGE, HSDPA 7.2Mbps
  • 5 Megapixel Camera w/ Auto-Focus & Flash (back of phone)
  • Video Camera w/ Video Conferencing Support (front of phone)
  • 3” 440x240 (262,744 pixels) TFT Display
  • Full Touch Screen
  • MPEG4/H.263/H.264/Real MP3/AAC(+)/eAAC+/Real
  • QWERTY Keypad w/ VibeTonz (vibrating feedback)
  • MMS / E-mail / JAVA / WAP 2.0
  • Bluetooth® / USB
  • Flash UI / Document Viewer
  • Full HTML Browsing
  • Multimedia Software
  • Offline Mode, BGM
  • microSD™
  • Size - 104 x 50 x 16.4mm

The reason I am leaning towards the 8525 or F700 over the iPhone is the lack of a real QWERTY keyboard from Apple. 👎

Also, the additional codecs and 5mp camera are nice bonuses. :)

As of 2 hours ago, a Sony Ericsson K800i.

Argos took my V3x back for repairs, then it came back without a Sim card, so they gave me a replacement one. Then, when the guy from Argos tried to put it in, he couldn't get the battery back in because a bit of it had melted or bent or something. So, replacement of a different phone because they don't sell V3xes anymore. And they took £20 off. Reeesult.
That was a good deal. 👍

Ive got the K750i like most people have, I love it! You can customize nearing everything in the OS plus it has the build quality of Sony and a great camera..... I was tempted by the K800 but I think im going to skip afew generations (because cameras, features change) before buying another but I think I will def stick with Sony.

This is the upcoming replacement to the K800..... K810 and boy is it beautiful... I love those milled alu buttons sitting on what looks like galss :dopey:

sony_ericsson_k810_p00.jpg

gsmarena_002.jpg

gsmarena_004.jpg

At the Moment i have ages old smarphone the Motorola MPx200.
I mostly only like smartphones,in my mobile phone life i changed over 30 phones,and about 10 of them were smartphones,symbian S60,UIQ and now Windows Mobile,i'm satisfied with it.

LG chocolate... in the loudest color I could get: Mint :scared: please don't laugh at me it was nearly free and I liked the solid feel, plus my previous LG survived everything everything I could throw at it including a dip in the pool so theres my brand loyalty...

Got the Nokia N90. Such a nice phone. Does everything! Reads pdf's has quick word, has a 2.0mp camera. Opera browser, only downfall is the things size. Its almost as big as the older 2-way Nextel's. But the video and photo quality is just the best i have ever seen in a phone.It also uses symbian os like S60 and such.

Back