What racing game started it all?

• Thread starter frentzey
  • 94 comments
Was Rock and Roll Racing the game with the 3/4 view with monster trucks with oil slicks and other stuff on the track? If it was, I loved that game! Creating my own tracks is one of the things I really miss from today's games...

First one I played regually was Accolade/DSI's Grand Prix Circuit, followed by Ferrari Formula one.

First one that even begun to impress me with regards to actualy racing was the first Geoff Crammond F1 game.

Here finally was a game that actually forced you to drive the right speeds, where setup wasn't just the EXE you ran on the install floppy and where finally you could drive any car.

It seems like a given now but it really was amazing that you could be any of the drivers of the 1991 season (although actualy it was in reality just a single driving model).

Originally posted by vat_man
Turbo on the Colecovision!! I had the dinky steering wheel and everything!

I had that!! I remember playing it when I was about 3 years old and breaking the steeering wheel. I still got my coleco vision though.

SMURFS GAME YEAH

Actually there are several games that got me into racing all on the Amiga
Stunt Car Racer (Great game with crazy tracks)
Indianapoils 500 (Realistic for its time only one track though)
Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix (I was hellava rubbish at this but I loved it)
Lotus Turbo Challenge 1,2 and 3 (my favorite :) )

I think the first racing game I ever played was Pole Position on the Atari. Had a blast with it until my Atari broke :(. The first game I got hooked on was Super Mario Kart. After playing it one day over 2 friends' houses, I just had to have it. Mastered the game so much that I knew the exact line that the AI drivers took on every track. And everytime my 2 cousins came over and I'd beat them in battle mode, they always accused me of putting in a cheat code :lol:. Along with that, Top Gear 3000 was my best racing game that held me over until I got the next generation systems.

I know this is an old thread but it's a slow day at work so I'm flippin' through the archives. :)

Anyways... the Coleco vision was definately the earliest for me.

And R/C ProAm on the NES was a classic, as was Rock and Roll Racing on the SNES.

However, who can forget Racing Destruction Set for the C=64. Man... I've hunted forever for an emulator and that game. <sigh> I wish I could find one of those puppies on eBay.

the really old grand prix game on the amiga thats what got me started in racing games I use to play that when I was 8yrs young

RC Pro-Am for the NES
good play control for a racing game in that era.

for old timers: I used to love to play Super Sprint
the arcade version made by Atari that had the black and white screen, allowed you to shift in 4 gears, and let you drift or slide around the corners. The game was quite amazing for its time, had like 16 different tracks to choose from. Sweet game to have around for parties.;)

An arcade racing game made by namco I forgotten the name it used to be 10p a go unlike today bloody cost me £1 to play intial d for each stage thats just sick

1 pole postion
2 rad racer
3 outrun
4 top gear
5 ridge racer
6 some arcade game right before gran turismo came out, it was pratically the same thing, but I forgot the name of it
7 grant turismo
8 gran turismo 2
9 Midnight club
10 TXR0
11 Gran Turismo 3
12 Burnout
13 Burnout 2
14 Midnight Club 2
15 WAiting on GT 4 :) come on already

true, but they did not release it in America and I don't think they are going to have it here anyways. I could go on the net and find your version and see if it works with my PS2, but that would require effort and I don't know if I want to risk it not working and having to mod my PS2

stunt car racer was sick on the amiga. But race car fx on the snes was sick best game ever until street racer came along

Originally posted by keeno_uk
stunt car racer was sick on the amiga. But race car fx on the snes was sick best game ever until street racer came along
For some reason I seem to recall it as working better on the C64 but being purdyer on the Amiga... Good fun back in the days though :)

/F

Originally posted by frentzey
I am the ultimate fan of racing games, it's basically the only type of game I play (other than Grand Theft Auto). What racing game, for any system, got you started on the racing scene?
I got hooked through F-Zero and Mario Kart.
F-Zero is still one of the best I'd say.
Soap Box Derby

Originally posted by Flerbizky
For some reason I seem to recall it as working better on the C64 but being purdyer on the Amiga... Good fun back in the days though :)

/F

Well - did you know the guy who did Stunt Car Racer was a certain Geoff Crammond, the genius behind F1 Grand Prix, Grand Prix 2, 3 and 4?

There won't be a Grand Prix 5 for a while....

...because...

...he's working a new Stunt Car Racer!!!!!

Back