What resolution looks best?

• Thread starter slicecom
  • 112 comments
I have to option to run 1080i, or 720p on my HD LCD TV, 1080i looks like it's been run through a sharpen filter too many times, with odd "halo" effects around the writing.

720p looks much better, cleaner and still as hi-res and 1080i looks.

So 720p for me.

Your TV is a 720p TV. It's not a 1080i TV (virtually no LCDs are 1080i native) so the panel has to de-interlace the image to suit your resolution...and LCD TVs have awful de-interlacers. That is why you see the artifacts. Just stick to 720p and you'll be fine.

At least someone knows what he's talking about! The PS3 is only capable of horizontal scaling and there are a number of games that utilise this (I believe even Uncharted does).

That was new to me, that the PS3 can't scale vertically. How come it can scale DVD in both directions. I would suspect that the real reason is that if you use 1080P instead of upscaling 720P you'll have a better picture. Just a guess.

Or that the hardware are already built to support anamorphic images and can do the upconversion without performance cost.

At least someone knows what he's talking about! The PS3 is only capable of horizontal scaling and there are a number of games that utilise this (I believe even Uncharted does).

I think PS3 is capable of scaling in both direction, games like Virtua Fighter 5 are 1024*1024 so in order to fit that resolution in a 720p display the image needs to be resized in both directions.

Is more likely that horizontal scaling is less resource hungry than scaling in both directions, maybe that's why it is used more.

I have to option to run 1080i, or 720p on my HD LCD TV, 1080i looks like it's been run through a sharpen filter too many times, with odd "halo" effects around the writing.

720p looks much better, cleaner and still as hi-res and 1080i looks.

So 720p for me.

That thing you desribe has a name, I can't remember it, but somehow antialiasing reduces this "white" effect around the cars and other stuff, and since GT5P has more antialiasing in 720p mode, 4x vs 2x in 1080i mode, that "thing" is least noticeable in 720p but it is still there.

I guess it has nothing to do with deintelacing but with HDR. It's like the cars are overexposed.

If that's what you believe, I'll let you have your elitist view to yourself. I'm not saying I like interlaced images but they are high definition by...well, definition.

1) As with all fixed-resolution display technologies, whatever the input resolution is (in this case 1080p) it will be scaled to fit the resolution of the panel itself. So the 1080p will be scaled up to 2560x1600 = FUGLY.

2) Read above

3) You will get more scaling artifacts left behind, such as aliasing and others. It wont be perfect but it should look great.

Gt5p on my 2407wfp doesn't scale the height, it just adds the black bars. The ps3 menu does this as well. Games like ratchet and clank and resistance do scale the height. So its a software thing and it proves the ps3 can scale height and width.

Is there any 24 or 27" LCD monitor that has a 1920x1080 resolution?

I ask this question because I'm very interested in a seam less display for the PS3 and maybe for future pc race sims.

27" is the largest monitor you can have with a 1920x1200 resolution but I would be better to match the PS3's native resolution.

Is there any 24 or 27" LCD monitor that has a 1920x1080 resolution?

I ask this question because I'm very interested in a seam less display for the PS3 and maybe for future pc race sims.

27" is the largest monitor you can have with a 1920x1200 resolution but I would be better to match the PS3's native resolution.

Gt5p doesn't scale the height so 1920x1200 is fine

Has a 24" 1920x1200 monitor a sharper image when playing GT5p (or in general) than a 27" 1920x1200?

I was playing GT4 on a 24" and it has black bars on top and at the bottom of the screen (letterbox), but not when I play GT5p, why is that?

:)

I'm not sure if that is correct. I bought GT5P last night and have a 24" Monitor native resolution of 1920x1200 (I think) with HDMI input and everything looks too 'skiny' as if it has been stretched up to make up the difference in height. It's really annoying me because if I play on my TV to get around this, I can't easily get a decent setup with my DFP steering wheel.

If anyone knows a way around this please let me know!

It doesn't work that way.

I'm not sure if that is correct. I bought GT5P last night and have a 24" Monitor native resolution of 1920x1200 (I think) with HDMI input and everything looks too 'skiny' as if it has been stretched up to make up the difference in height. It's really annoying me because if I play on my TV to get around this, I can't easily get a decent setup with my DFP steering wheel.

If anyone knows a way around this please let me know!

Sounds like your TV has not an Aspect Ratio Correction option. It just fills the screen (the 16:10 screen) with the image without giving a **** about if it is a 16:9 signal.

Would you mind posting your TV's brand and model to confirm this?

Here is a link to the monitor:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/133517

It's a Hyundai W240D. I haven't spent much time looking at options so it could be that I've just not set it up right yet. I read a users's review for it somewhere on the web that said it didn't stretch the screen, but as it is setup right now mine definately does.

It's a Hyundai W240D. I haven't spent much time looking at options so it could be that I've just not set it up right yet. I read a users's review for it somewhere on the web that said it didn't stretch the screen, but as it is setup right now mine definately does.

My 21.6" Samsung monitor does the same thing (stretches the 16:9 picture to 16:10), I haven't found a fix for it yet, but haven't looked too hard.

hyundai-w240d-m06.jpg

Go to that menu on your TV and select Display Control and then select 16:9 image aspect ratio. That should fix your problem.

My 21.6" Samsung monitor does the same thing (stretches the 16:9 picture to 16:10), I haven't found a fix for it yet, but haven't looked too hard.

Most, if not every, Samsungs out there have their own Aspect Ratio Control. Mess with the menus, maybe you'll find a fix.

The Samsung 245B doesn't have this 1:1 mapping thing.

I was wondering if there is a device, machine :dopey:, thing - that you have to connect between the PS3 and the monitor - that does the 1:1 mapping?

In case of a 720p, are the black bars at the bottom and top of the screen bigger than when using a 1080p game?

Playing GT4, the Samsung 245B does show black bars. Why not with GT5p?

Many TVs won't do 1:1 pixel mapping even if you input their native resolution. Thids might be why the guy earlier in the post don't see much of a difference whatever resoultion he's running to his tv. My Samsung don't do 1:1. My projector does, and it's incredibly much sharper than the TV. Even using my htpc and setting the 1366x768 resolution of the LCD panel won't yield 1:1 on my tv.

So what would you suggest; a 720p projector (1080p projector is too expensive) or a full HD LCD tv?

Depends entirely on your viewing distance. A 42" LCD you'd need about 150cm distance to see a difference. With a larger image you get the 1080p benefit at a greater distance, of course. The projector wiht the larger image will almost always give the 'better' experience than the LCD tv, simply because 'size matters' in gaming and movies.

This chart pretty much tell the tale... Click the chart to get an in-depth article on 1080p vs 720 vs viewing distance. Very good article, and worth the read.

I have an 80" screen at about 12' distance, and could use 1080p, but 720 is fine with a good source. GT5p looks awesome at 720! The better AA make up for the lower resolution. That, and the fact I get 1:1 pixelmapping at 720. 1080i looks soft because of scaling.

Thanks

Read the article and looked at the chart.

I think I'm going to wait untill a Full 1080p HD beamer will drove in prize significatly.

I'm not going to buy an HDTV until I can afford to get a really big one that supports 1080p. Ever since I got my PS3, I've been forced to play all my games on my 35" Sony SDTV...so consider yourselves lucky if you are fortunate enough to own an HDTV in any resolution. :)

I ordered a "DVI/D with HDCP Input to HDMI" cable from TigerDirect so I can use my widescreen LCD computer monitor. Has anyone tried this yet? If so, did you have decent results? My manual states that my monitor will support 1080p.

I know the picture is going to be slightly stretched, but I sure hope it looks better overall. Most of my racing experience is on the PC, so I don't mind if it looks smaller than a TV set.

It should arrive tomorrow...fingers crossed. As soon as I try it out, I will post my results.

*snip* I ordered a "DVI/D with HDCP Input to HDMI" cable from TigerDirect so I can use my widescreen LCD computer monitor. Has anyone tried this yet? If so, did you have decent results? My manual states that my monitor will support 1080p.
* and snap*[/quote]I don't have a TigerDirect HDMI > DVI-D cable but I do have another one :sly: and it works perfectly!

If your monitor is a least a 24" widescreen with 1920x1200 resolution it will probably support 1080p. It also has to support HDCP.

*snip* I ordered a "DVI/D with HDCP Input to HDMI" cable from TigerDirect so I can use my widescreen LCD computer monitor. Has anyone tried this yet? If so, did you have decent results? My manual states that my monitor will support 1080p.
* and snap*[/quote]I don't have a TigerDirect HDMI > DVI-D cable but I do have another one :sly: and it works perfectly!

If your monitor is a least a 24" widescreen with 1920x1200 resolution it will probably support 1080p. It also has to support HDCP.

It does. Trust me...I checked before making the purchase.

I read a few articles in various forums and most people seem quite pleased with their overall results in a number of popular games. I am particularly interested in people's experience with using their PC monitor with GT5. That is the PS3 game I play the most.

Thanks for the reply

Here is a link to the cable I bought:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3776612&CatId=3661

Back