What ruins GT5:P Online the most

  • Thread starter Thread starter Earth
  • 109 comments
  • 9,150 views

What ruins GT5:P online the most?

  • Tuned Lotus/PP doesn't work right

    Votes: 5 2.0%
  • No Private Rooms with personal options

    Votes: 110 43.8%
  • Boost handicap

    Votes: 45 17.9%
  • Races are too short

    Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Drivers who ram you

    Votes: 76 30.3%
  • Lack of stat keeping (# of wins etc)

    Votes: 9 3.6%

  • Total voters
    251
How can you even say this when there is a BOOSTER in this game?. If you had to choose between the 2 wich one would you choose? private rooms? thats a joke.

How could racing online be any good if the top 5 or so are running with a stupid handicap to make there car harder to drive or slower. And the guys behind you all of a sudden have an extra 100HP. Thats retarded.

After the latest patch I won the expert daytona a few times in a row starting from 1st and leading all the way to the finish. Boost who?

I vote private rooms.
 
i hate the Integra and the idiots, i wish there were liscenses so you couldnt race some events if you suck

I always race with the Honda Integra Type R cleanly and stick to the racing lines, simply because I struggle to handle and drive other vehicles.

I have had hours of fun and good clean racing on the Suzuka PP500 with other clean and fast Integra drivers.

I raced this morning on the newly updated Suzuka PP600, I tuned my Integra to its max and put R3 tyres front and rear and beat cars that I should'nt. I won only my fourth race this morning since playing online. An unsportsman like driver (IN A MITSUBISHI LANCER) tried to wipe me out on a bend after I had a misshap, but I recoverd and left him for dead. I won by nearly 4 clear seconds.
 
1. lack of custom, private races, groups, friends lists
2. lack of worldwide region-free races
3. no stats
4. no national anthem (see Trackmania Nations)
5. penalty system too sensitive on Daytona
 
i hate the Integra and the idiots, i wish there were liscenses so you couldnt race some events if you suck

Whats wrong with the Integra???????
I love that car as I can drive it to the absolute limit.

Anyway private rooms would be a bonus as im a brit living in japan,so can race any of my mates back home:(
 
Well its pretty much all those options given to vote on that ruins Online.

If i was to pick only 1 thing to be fixed it has to be no private rooms. If only we had that we could at least boot the rammers / quiters from races. Although i am expecting all these thing to be fixed when the final game comes out.

Also as has been debated to death already the penalty system sucks big time as it is now.
 
I voted for: No Private Rooms with personal options.

I wanted to vote for "Drivers who ram you" but if there are private rooms, this problem is solved.


There should be a qualifying session for each race in the private rooms. You shouldn't be able to choose a car that outclass other cars.
 
I have a question for you gentlemen....

If the online portion of the game does NOT get any of these issues fixed within a reasonable timeframe(say by June), will you continue to play GT5P? Or will you move on to something else? I'm just asking out of sheer curiosity.

Personally speaking, I can't see myself playing this game after completing the offline single player, with this all these online issues that exist. It's really a shame. :(
 
I voted for the boost handicap. It really is lame. But IMO the thing that ruins GT5P online is the disconects.

Powerpoint rules can be adjusted thats easy.

Ramming's going to happen anywhere even in private rooms with your chums.
I would imagine that Stat keeping will be added eventually but it won't be top of PDs list of things to do.

I can only see longer races happening once Private rooms are online. If the disconecting children can't stay for 3 laps of suzuka I can't see them staying for 60 ;)
 
I have a question for you gentlemen....

If the online portion of the game does NOT get any of these issues fixed within a reasonable timeframe(say by June), will you continue to play GT5P? Or will you move on to something else? I'm just asking out of sheer curiosity.

Personally speaking, I can't see myself playing this game after completing the offline single player, with this all these online issues that exist. It's really a shame. :(

GT5P is a bit of a cheat of a game and it seems to be catching a lot of the consol gammers off guard. The game you see now isn't how it's going to be. In PC terminology what your plaiying is GT5 Beta this means PD are letting you play the endgame gefore they have finished it. They'll still be having meetings discussing whats the best way to run these things online and whats the best combination of Powerpoints. Effectively they are using us as the test base for how the end game will work. With a game this size there are just too many variables in a game this size for the developers to test on their own.

So you should expect the rules to change frequently and sometimes dramatically. As they gradually introduce more cars you'll find every so often (as has happened with the lotus) That the odd car will come along and ruin the balance of power. When that happens it will take a month or two for PD to figure out what to do about it.
 
Darklymine, please edit your first post instead of making a new one.
You can easily copy the quote into the other post.
 
Lotus Elise 111R/tuned drivers.
People who have a rather large tendency to ram you off the track.
Lotus Elise 111R/tuned drivers who have a rather large tendency to ram you off the track.
 
I have a question for you gentlemen....

If the online portion of the game does NOT get any of these issues fixed within a reasonable timeframe(say by June), will you continue to play GT5P? Or will you move on to something else? I'm just asking out of sheer curiosity.

Personally speaking, I can't see myself playing this game after completing the offline single player, with this all these online issues that exist. It's really a shame. :(
I'll keep playing GT5p because I'm not interested in online play, unless the private rooms function perfectly without lag and other problems.

The only thing I'm interested in is driving on a track with a car I'm interested in, watch the replay and LEARN! Learn to control the car, learn driving and racing techniques. This is also why I'm not interested in events and licences etc.... GTR is perfect, you buy the game, you don't have to unlock cars and track, you don't have to earn money etc... Choose a car, a track and start learning and enjoying! GTL is still my favourite untill now. It's even better than the GT series. GT series is too arcadeyisch or is it arcadish but still a lot of fun! But still, GT5p is way too much fun to stop playing it and it is also a perfect game to drive around a track and learn!

So no online for me unless it has private rooms in which you and your friends can race without being bothered by strangers.


:)
 
After the latest patch I won the expert daytona a few times in a row starting from 1st and leading all the way to the finish. Boost who?

I vote private rooms.

Look at your laptimes while in first place.. lets say for about 5 laps.
Write down the fastest laptime.

Do the same race again with the same car same settings.
Right at the start drop back for about 25 seconds.

Race the 5 laps.
Write down your fastest laptime.

Compare your laptimes.. Boost who ?
 
Look at your laptimes while in first place.. lets say for about 5 laps.
Write down the fastest laptime.

Do the same race again with the same car same settings.
Right at the start drop back for about 25 seconds.

Race the 5 laps.
Write down your fastest laptime.

Compare your laptimes.. Boost who ?

I didn't say there isn't a boost effect (I haven't tried), just saying I can't really see it necessarily being that big of a deal, it doesn't mean that everyone will magically catch you no matter how much faster driver you are. Obviously, if there is such a thing as boost, it's there to make races tighter. For example, making a small mistake or better yet getting knocked out by someone doesn't necessarily mean you'll finish last by a wide margin, it'll give you a slight chance of catching the rest.

Personally, if this alleged boost effect does indeed exist, I think it should be only incorporated in Standard races, and it should be an option that can be switched off. As it is, I'd much much rather live with this than be without private races.
 
One of my bug bears is the standard/professional settings, I think this was altered in the last update but if I want to run with proffesional settings I can only do so with the 700pp races, the 600pp races automaticaly select standard setting! I like driving on proffesional but now I'm restricted to just the high end sports cars............Grrrr and all that
 
One of my bug bears is the standard/professional settings, I think this was altered in the last update but if I want to run with proffesional settings I can only do so with the 700pp races, the 600pp races automaticaly select standard setting! I like driving on proffesional but now I'm restricted to just the high end sports cars............Grrrr and all that

Completely agree, i prefer the 600pp races but hate having to use standard physics :grumpy:, we need some 600pp races on pro.
 
Maybe it's just me, but it seems to me that PD has clearly not played a single online racing game at all or have any proper experience with playing one.

If any single relevant person at PD would spend say 20 to 30 hours of playing Forza Motorsport 2 online, they would've realised what they need to fix/implement in their own game. And I don't mean necessarily copy what Forza 2 has because that one is not perfect either. There are several things wrong with Forza online as well:

- no balancing of cars (Elise 135R, 300ZX, a lot of american muscle cars, Saleen S7, Ferrari F50 GT, these cars dominate all of the classes, esp. the muscle cars)
- no qualifying
- doesn't let you repair aero/body damage at pit stop (would be used in the Full GT5 I suppose)

And the catch up thing is plain ridiculous. A online racing simulation like Gran Turismo should learn from what Forza is doing online and hopefully at least match it or better it, not implement stuff that makes it useless online.


I don't know Forza, but I think PD should check TOCA Race Driver 3 online. I think it's close to perfection.

There, you have:

- Private rooms

- Voice Chat

- Friends List (you can check if any is online and invite the ones you want for the room you've opened

- No boost

- Qualifying (if you want to)

- Mandatory pits (if you want to)

- Damage (if you want to)

- Three "collision modes" to chose (full; forward only; none)

- Three grid options IF without qualifying (Random; Last Results; Reverse Last Results)

- Car setups (if you want to)

- Rated/non rated sessions

- WORLDWIDE racing (ie, no region lock)

- AI cars in to fill the grid (if you want to, and you can set their skill level)

- Kick and Ban options (from the host)

- Ranking points loss if you end a session prematurely or even if you just leave a race before the end

- Flags (if you want to)

- Penalties (if you want to, they range from 5 secs to 20 secs added to your finish time, or a drive by through the pits, with first black flag; a 2nd black flag means disqualification)

- Three cheat prevention levels to choose from (lenient; normal; severe), I think it's this choice that determines the harshness of the penalties.



This all (and some other choices to customize your session) ) we get from Codemasters, for FREE online play (hosted by Gamespy), on the PS2 ... and as said above, I think it's close to perfect.



PS - I read in the Race Driver GRID forums that they'll change the hosting for this game (to be released next May) from Gamespy to Demonware.


PPS - In this poll I vote "No private rooms", I think all other problems wom't have so much importance when we race with friends and/or drivers that we know are both skilled and clean.

PPPS - Is someone from PD reads this, I hope you write down the list above, or, maybe easier, just log a PS2 with TRD3 to online play and check it out yourself.
 
I voted for "no private rooms", but after having played online for the first time last night I have to say many of these concerns are valid. Seeing as I love the Lotus, I'm not going to agree on that one though :-) The problem is that the Lotus really is so good that it easily beats cars with double the power, even in stock configuration. So, if you want realism, then you'll just have to deal with the Lotus being good. I mean, I drive autocross on occasion, and I do it in cars which I have zero chance of winning in, even in the slowest class. Do I complain that everyone else's cars should be worse? No, if I can't keep up in the cars I have, then I need a different car... If you see my point. You can't keep up with the Lotus, why? Because it is a much better car.

During online play I lost races because of ramming. This was also very frustrating. I was thinking that the penalty for ramming another car, or a wall, needs to be considerable, so that this behavior stops. Maybe force both cars to pit for repairs or something... Sure that would annoy the person being rammed, but at least it would be slightly more realistic, and watching some else ram you from behind, in a slower car (because of the boost), when you are on the perfect racing line and in the lead, then watching their car go all transparent and magically take the lead while you are pummeled by all the other cars which were previously behind you? Yeah, well, that really sucks.
 
No private rooms + voice chat.

Having private rooms would eliminate the ramming and boost handicap issues because I'd be playing against people I know wouldn't ram me, and would be good enough that they wouldn't fall way behind anyways.
 
No Private Rooms.

I want to be able to invite a few close online friends of me to races in this game without outside interference. This isn't crucial, it would just really be nice for the drivers in certain races to be limited to my friends.
 
Private rooms is a must at the moment. Just a minute ago I was in the Suzuka 700PP race and 4 drivers, all from France and belonging to some clan, were drifting round the track. Now thats great if you want to do synchronised drifting together, however in a race? While people are trying to overtake you? Trying to anticipate their every move was impossible. Yeah they were good drifters but people need to learn the time and the place, in 700PP race with seem serious racers around them...No. I bet they want private rooms....
 
If they had private rooms with the option to turn off the boost system then this game would be killer. If you could race against people from all over the World then even better.
 
I will say this, if damage is implemented before private rooms, online mode is gonna go to hell. Period. Played a couple laps at daytona...ha, i don't even really need to say anymore. Also, no matter how clean you race, the wall riders will almost "always" come out ahead.
 
What ruins GT5:P online the most?

Other people !!!
 
I voted private rooms. I want to race my mates like we did in GT4 without the hassle of taking my stuff all the way round to their houses. And it would make for cleaner racing.
 
I'm about to give up hope that Im ever going to win a race. Ive led multiple times at HSR and either get cut off on the final apex or blown by on the straight.......I guess I jsut suck at GT.....:indiff:
 
I don't know Forza, but I think PD should check TOCA Race Driver 3 online. I think it's close to perfection.
...
PPPS - Is someone from PD reads this, I hope you write down the list above, or, maybe easier, just log a PS2 with TRD3 to online play and check it out yourself.
I fully agree with you. I think the Forza people (Turn10) could learn a lot from TRD3 online as well. Qualifying, Flags, Penalties. PD should seriously play both TRD3 and Forza2 online and AT THE VERY LEAST implement these:

- private rooms, friends list
- kick/ban
- race room options (laps, etc.)
 
Boost has been around for a long time, have a look in the options area in GT4.

What we need is the option to turn it off once we have private arenas.

I haven't the time at the moment to list all the things that ruins GT5P Online for me.

I'll try and come back later.
 
Well A new world record! 15 races on 700pp suzuka and EVERY race the host quit the game........that is the one most infuriating thing about this game, PD please note some people are idiots who play your game please make it so the host either can't quit (unless with the PS button) or let there be a host switching system! Iv'e spat my dummy and thrown the game back on the shelf for a few days I really am anoyed at how GT5P can be ruined so easily by the few idiots who play it!
 
No private rooms + voice chat.

Having private rooms would eliminate the ramming and boost handicap issues because I'd be playing against people I know wouldn't ram me, and would be good enough that they wouldn't fall way behind anyways.

You know, after last night's online experience, (which essentially consisted of me winding my way through a bunch of cars, taking a commanding lead, and then watching in my mirror as that insane boost allowed the other cars to catch up again and then ram me with enough force to make me go from, say 1st to last place about a quarter lap before the end of a race), I think voice chat would probably be a bad idea as many of the kids playing would have learned some choice new insults that their parents would certainly disapprove of!

It was a nightmare out there last night. I take back everything good I thought about GT5P online play the first time I tried it. It is a complete disaster in current form. It isn't just "not fun", it actually just makes you mad. What a bummer. I'm hoping that as more players learn the game, and learn how to behave, it will get better.

Really, we simply need damage. If a driver knew that when he/she rams you, or a wall, then he/she will definitely lose the race (maybe be sidelined as a spectator, that might actually be somewhat fun), then the ramming will decrease dramatically.

It would also be nice to have a personal black-list. When you see a driver's name, and that driver is misbehaving (say, ramming you on purpose to keep you from passing), you could set your box to never join a race with that driver in it.
 
Back