What the he** did they do to the AI?!?!?

United States
Missouri
biggbaddwolf
I used to love this game, used to being the keyword. I hadn't played for awhile, and got this brilliant idea a couple nights ago to fire up the PS and play it. There is no way I can keep up with AI in the custom races!!! They must have sped them up tremendously!!!! Oh well another game for the trash dumpster to keep Project Cars 2 company...

Pretty sure the Custom Race Mode AI is still the same.

I used to love this game, used to being the keyword. I hadn't played for awhile, and got this brilliant idea a couple nights ago to fire up the PS and play it. There is no way I can keep up with AI in the custom races!!! They must have sped them up tremendously!!!! Oh well another game for the trash dumpster to keep Project Cars 2 company...
What's your settings when doing custom race mode? Usually the AIs are quick if the boost setting is strong. If I wanted a fair fight, I'd turn off the boost.

The AI are not the same in custom races as PD did speed them up and it becomes very noticeable on some tracks more than others. Once you pass them their speed ends and they don't really challenge you again.
Its much better than before but by no means is it difficult.
I only do custom races running a completely stock tune on the cars and cannot speak for those who tune their cars to completely smash the AI.

Pretty sure the Custom Race Mode AI is still the same.
What's your settings when doing custom race mode? Usually the AIs are quick if the boost setting is strong. If I wanted a fair fight, I'd turn off the boost.

I believe with boost off they are faster. Boost is supposed to allow you to catch up the them faster. That's why when you turn boost off, you are awarded more credits.

How are you setting up the race?

My favourite used to be N200/300 vs. N1000 on dirt and its a decent challenge with good prizes... of course professional level no boost 1x tyre and 1x fuel, grid start.

I usually do N400 vs Gr.4 with the same setup also with ok prize money.

Since they dont care about weight or tyre choice or tuning or BoP its a fair play test.

ie. I use race hard or SS and you can tune up to N400 (for max money) and of course you can drop the weight down to lowest. Go RS tyres if you want.

I cant fathom anyone losing in custom except in dire circumstances (ie, N200 vs Gr1 etc.).

Of course these modes have the traditional 'engage turbo boost once player is in the lead' but you should have anticipated that. You can either drive slow behind the AI #1 until the end then go hell for leather for the finish line.

I've noticed, each update with a new track, AI are more racey at THAT track. I've noticed this since the inclusion of Dragon Trail Gardens. The cars used, is also a factor. The faster the cars, from Gr.4 up, the faster the behaviour of the AI.

My Custom Races are 10 minutes, starting from 20th, Boost off, Tyre/Fuel 1x, Slipstream Real, Damage Heavy. Stock setting for car, TCS default, Grid Start, Pro.

I've found AI have put up good fights at 10-12 lap races as well. I've lost to AI numerous times.

Same as TonyJZ, I run N400 vs Gr.4(168,000 Cr. for a win).

AI have NOT been updated at the older tracks. Behaviour is still the same at Bathurst, in particular.

I'm an average racer and I don't divebomb the AI and most of the time, I stay on the racing line. Not so much when AI are brake checking mid-corner. That's how I play. No doubt many players will have different results.

The only bad thing is that since you're in a 440hp car in a field of 440hp cars in 20th position you have next to zero chance of getting the clean race bonus.

I think you get penalised for starting on pole but does that penalty match the potentional clean race bonus?

The only bad thing is that since you're in a 440hp car in a field of 440hp cars in 20th position you have next to zero chance of getting the clean race bonus.

I think you get penalised for starting on pole but does that penalty match the potentional clean race bonus?
I've never started from Pole. Over all my races, I'd call half my races would have net a Clean Bonus by finishing First, over a zero chance.

Just get gud my dude, no reason to trash the game.

I've noticed the KTM X-Bow takes a while to catch up to in N300 by virtue of being significantly lighter than all the other cars in that HP range, and even uncatchable at worst (it was especially noticeable in Tokyo Expressway South). The twin M6 GT3's also take a while to catch up to in Gr.3 custom races too, in addition to the Amuse S2000 in N600.

Emphasis on takes a while to catch up to, by the way. It's possible to make up time on them on the right track/settings/car combination, but it is kind of annoying nonetheless... don't get why the Custom Race grid isn't just completely randomized and/or matching the specs of the car you're driving instead of having those same cars be up in pole all the time.

Genuinely the first time I have heard this complaint.

Novelty aside, PD need proper AI that can have their difficulty scaled, not just having them start miles ahead and rubberbanded to oblivion.

They do.

You can choose 3 levels of difficulty... easy medium and professional, granted professional isnt too hard as it is.

Then you can choose grid or rolling start and then you can choose how staggered the cars are when rolling.

I've noticed the KTM X-Bow takes a while to catch up to in N300 by virtue of being significantly lighter than all the other cars in that HP range, and even uncatchable at worst (it was especially noticeable in Tokyo Expressway South). The twin M6 GT3's also take a while to catch up to in Gr.3 custom races too, in addition to the Amuse S2000 in N600.

Emphasis on takes a while to catch up to, by the way. It's possible to make up time on them on the right track/settings/car combination, but it is kind of annoying nonetheless... don't get why the Custom Race grid isn't just completely randomized and/or matching the specs of the car you're driving instead of having those same cars be up in pole all the time.
For sure. A few races, the X-Bow finished 20+ seconds ahead, as I had to contend with some of the other AI's magic acceleration, out of corners.

Drove the professional league F1500 formula race on brand hatch, AI was fast. That was first time for me with those F cars, so dont know if there was change in how the AI behaves. But all the other pro races before the last update, I was able to win 10-15s lead. With stock car and hardest tyres.
Only 3 sec difference in F1500 race, and passed the leader on last lap. On other races if 10 laps, last 5 I was in the lead.
If the AI is indeed faster now, I think it's good thing.

The AI does not use the BOP in custom races. If you race Gr3 in professional difficulty with a car that is like 490hp, and if you dont use the BOP either, you will have trouble keeping up with the 600hp maclaren...

I also noticed some weird stuff with how the AI uses the fuel : with a x6 multiplier, the AI maclaren sometimes uses 60% in one lap (le mans racetrack), but if it is the last lap, it sometimes uses less than 40% while achieving the same lap time.

Everything AI related is broken, but it's not new

I have to say, they really did something with the AI. For example, I could overtake everyone in the First Lap of Le Mans in the X2014 Championship.

After the update, it took me until about 2½ Laps, driving very similar times to what I used to.

AI seems to brake a bit later now and accelerate faster.

When did this change in AI happen? I havent seen anything different for the last few patches.

As someone else said, I did the Gr2 Autopolis 10 lap in my Lexus and they all wilted pretty quick.

Am about to try the 30 lap enduro and I still dont expect much. The custom races at professional level arent up to **** either....

When did this change in AI happen? I havent seen anything different for the last few patches.

As someone else said, I did the Gr2 Autopolis 10 lap in my Lexus and they all wilted pretty quick.

Am about to try the 30 lap enduro and I still dont expect much. The custom races at professional level arent up to **** either....

I am not a very fast driver (a low DR B) but I usually beat the AI easily with Gr.2 and slower. The F1 cars, X2014 Red Bull and Gr.1 take me a bit time (maybe 5 laps) to get up to speed - but this will because I very rarely use these cars.

The AI can be stupid and/or dirty, with mysterious levels of pace but they don't usually offer much of a challenge for me.

Did the offline Autopolis endurance race, and despite falling off the track several times (it was my first ever run at the circuit), won first time out with a large gap. Did the Sport mode race, and was embarrassingly off the pace.

There should be a higher level of A! difficulty available in offline modes.

The AI is def dirtier, been punted or spun off by aggressive 2nd place AI taking my win because I was not driving defensively or expecting it.

The new MX5 races were a challenge despite being a beginner series. Great example at Autopolis as one AI appears posessed driving out of their skin and divebombing and they took me out at the end twice. I have breezed through all levels of campaign mode without much trouble but now it seems the AI are no longer all docile and slow.

Not sure about faster (maybe a bit) but it definitely much more aggressive.

This one AI wants to ram me off and this is in GT League beginner race:

I've read that maybe the AI in Beginner championships are more aggressive because they're supposed to be beginners, so more prone to mistakes and more aggressive.

I've noticed having trouble catching up with AI on custom races many updates ago. They are indeed different from league and single race events but that should not be a reason to throw this game away. No shame in racing with a lower difficulty AI if you are just looking for fun. My problem was that 2-3 laps were not enough to grap pole position so making the races longer fixed that.

Back