What was your favorite cartoon and series as a kid?

• Thread starter breakpoint
  • 267 comments
My favourite was definitely Battle of the Planets.

That's G-Force, or more properly, Gatchaman. (Yes, I know they rename these things for the foreign language market... English being very foreign to the Japanese...) :dopey:

In my childhood there was no cable yet(in Portugal) and only two public channels were allowed to broadcast-it was still considered a Public Service-at that time the first American Series made it's appearance in our silver screens and stayed for years-beginning an acculturation process through TV shows that last until now-and the whole country stopped to watch this on Sunday nights...still sounds very familiar the generics tune to which sound I grew up with:

niky - I watched Jayce and the wheeled warriors, even had a couple of the toys (I think I have some tires and a couple of weapons from the machines somewhere in a box at my parents house too).

I also had a Captian Power lunch box back in grade 2 I believe. I remember I hated the shower after a while though and would always change the channel when it came on right after supper.

Anyone remember these guys? I watched them after school everyday and had some figures, each one came with its own bird who did something different.

I have to add this as well. I can still name off all the villians in the order that the ending credits lists them in...my life is so sad.

Last edited:
I can't believe no-one has said Dungeons and Dragons yet... I loved it, and was practically in mourning when it was taken off our screens :(

Also:
Ulysses 31
Mysterious Cities of Gold
Battle Of The Planets
Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds
Mr. Benn

and

Jamie And The Magic Torch

I can't believe no-one has said Dungeons and Dragons yet... I loved it, and was practically in mourning when it was taken off our screens :(
I've actually been watching it recently from a copy I am borrowing from a friend. It now occurs to me that each episode has them looking for a way to get home, Dungeon Master shows up from nowhere and gives them a task and a riddle to help them, they stumble accidentally upon their task and Venger being responsible, and spend half the episode misinterpreting Dungeon Master's riddle, only to figure it out at the last second. Oh, and the spoiled, rich kid is responsible for them getting in trouble about 90% of the time. The other 10% is Uni acting up.

Jamie And The Magic Torch
All I see is a flashlight.

There was a cartoon "Back in the Day" I can't remember for the life of me. I would have been early 80's I believe it was japanease anime. It was a wrecked out Battleship that traveled through space. Anyone remember the name of the cartoon?

I was born in '72 and my favorite cartoons where Heckle and Jeckle, Woody Woodpecker, The Bugs Bunny Road Runner show, and Popeye. Couldn't wait for Saturday morning cartoons since that was the only time they came on and when we only had 3 TV channels.

I remember exactly, since my childhood isn't so long ago. As a child, it was really all cartoons, nothing else.

Cartoon Network:
Ed, Edd, and Eddy
Dexter's Laboratory
Powerpuff Girls
Johnny Bravo
Scooby Doo(the old one)
Looney Toons(preferably Bugs 'n Daffy)
Ton and Jerry
Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT

Nickolodeon:
Spongebob(before it got gay and stupid)
Fairly Oddparents(before it got lame)
and some of the other even older ones, which I can't remember.

I was born in 1980... so that was fun time to be born. Favorite cartoons when I was kid ranged from Transformers to MASK to Thundercats to Ren and Stimpy to Rocko's Modern Life. Everyone has mention some of the ones I used to watch so I won't mention them again! :D As for series... the ORIGINAL Dukes of Hazard and M.A.S.H. Adore both of those... The Cosby Show was cool, Dinosaurs was fun, and the ORIGINAL A-Team made me smile.

I was born in 1980... so that was fun time to be born. Favorite cartoons when I was kid ranged from Transformers to MASK to Thundercats to Ren and Stimpy to Rocko's Modern Life. Everyone has mention some of the ones I used to watch so I won't mention them again! :D As for series... the ORIGINAL Dukes of Hazard and M.A.S.H. Adore both of those... The Cosby Show was cool, Dinosaurs was fun, and the ORIGINAL A-Team made me smile.

Its funny seeing the peoples list that were born when I was, give or take a year of course. The lists are almost carbon copies:tup: Everyone then liked the good stuff for sure:) I am sure there were shows and cartoons I watched allot but I just don't remember, I have seen a few that I googled and was like, Oh yeah I remember watching that all of the time, but my brain didn't remember until I had seen the intro etc.

I've actually been watching it recently from a copy I am borrowing from a friend. It now occurs to me that each episode has them looking for a way to get home, Dungeon Master shows up from nowhere and gives them a task and a riddle to help them, they stumble accidentally upon their task and Venger being responsible, and spend half the episode misinterpreting Dungeon Master's riddle, only to figure it out at the last second. Oh, and the spoiled, rich kid is responsible for them getting in trouble about 90% of the time. The other 10% is Uni acting up.

And yet they never found a way home. Or they almost did, in one episode. I don't think they ever wrapped things up before they were cancelled.

All I see is a flashlight.
Taking that completely out of context.

>PICK UP FLASHLIGHT

You pick up the flashlight.

>USE FLASHLIGHT

The batteries short-circuit. Roll 2D6 for damage.

>OUCH

Incorrect syntax.

You are eaten by a Grue.

Taking that completely out of context.

>PICK UP FLASHLIGHT

You pick up the flashlight.

>USE FLASHLIGHT

The batteries short-circuit. Roll 2D6 for damage.

>OUCH

Incorrect syntax.

You are eaten by a Grue.

Ha, well I didn't have that kind cause we were poorer than poor, I had the book version from the library. No matter what choices you made you always came out good in the end, no challenge in the story there huh? haha

Ha, well I didn't have that kind cause we were poorer than poor, I had the book version from the library. No matter what choices you made you always came out good in the end, no challenge in the story there huh? haha

Choose Your Own Adventure? Hated those. You could make a reasonably intelligent decision and the book would kill you off for no good reason.

I was born in 1994, not long ago and I watch cartoons quite a lot! Among my favourite cartoons were:

- Dexter's Laboratory
- Powerpuff Girls
- Johnny Bravo
- Scooby Doo
- Tom and Jerry
- Popeye

.. and a lot more from Cartoon Network. I switched to the channel today and it was.. meh :ill:

I was going to ask why you didn't include Thunderbirds in your list of puppet shows... until I saw it further up in your post. 👍

I was never that impressed with the original Thunderbirds - preferring Captain Scarlet. There was a very short-lived cartoon series in 1986 called "Thunderbirds 2086" which was very anime, looking back on it.

That's G-Force, or more properly, Gatchaman. (Yes, I know they rename these things for the foreign language market... English being very foreign to the Japanese...) :dopey:

The series was wildly renamed and altered depending on the region. I recall it was originally called G-Force over here, becoming Battle of the Planets in later versions. It was also called Eagle Riders in other territories.

Some say that G-Force/Battle of the Planets should be considered a different series from Gatchaman - it omits 20 episodes and glosses over a few plot elements that weren't considered kid-friendly in the West (particularly transgenderism).

And there's a Gatchaman film next year.

I used to watch this one all the time:

Aside the moral issue that someone already mentioned,back in the days cartoons also had a cultural dimension and were educative:tup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Budgie the Little Helicopter.

It's so catchy...

Although I watched that when I was more of a baby. :lol:

As a kid I would have to say Scooby-Doo. :D

There was a cartoon "Back in the Day" I can't remember for the life of me. I would have been early 80's I believe it was japanease anime. It was a wrecked out Battleship that traveled through space. Anyone remember the name of the cartoon?

One of my faves too. Here in the US it was known as Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato in Japan) and actually had some mature themes compared to most cartoons here.

It's a legendary series.

Pokemon... I'd give anything to be 10, have a Charmander, and set out as a Pokemon trainer. :lol:

I was never that impressed with the original Thunderbirds - preferring Captain Scarlet. There was a very short-lived cartoon series in 1986 called "Thunderbirds 2086" which was very anime, looking back on it.

Captain Scarlet was the one with the cool vehicle, right? (looks it up...) the Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle... yeah, I kind of recall liking that one a little more.

And there's a Gatchaman film next year.

If they wreck it, I'll be sorely disappointed. Must.have.bell.bottoms.

One of my faves too. Here in the US it was known as Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato in Japan) and actually had some mature themes compared to most cartoons here.

It's a legendary series.

Can't believe I forgot to add that one. I even had a scale model of the Yamato. 👍

I've just been incidentally reminded of:

Which was terrible.

Again, there is no better cartoon than Tex Avery cartoons.

I loved his stuff:tup: I really like the comedy style of all of them. And Famine, I have never heard of any of the cartoons you have mention....lol. I guess its because we are on different sides of the water.

Back