What wheel will you use/ recommend for GT Sport?

United States
Florida
The1WingAngel
Howdy all,
Long time player of the GT series, but never played with a wheel. For GTS I plan to invest in a wheel, however I want to invest in a complete setup. Essentially, I'd like to have a wheel with a stick shift module (shirt pedals are a last resort if not possible) and pedals with an active clutch system. Ive researched abit and found a few different models, but none that are all together or might not be compatible together. What wheels are the rest of you using, and what would you recommend for what I want to build?

Personally, I would like the circular wheel with the largest diameter. Will that require that I buy the base/wheel/pedals/shifter separately?
Possibly, I know Fanatec are soon to announce some new wheels for their wheel bases so might be a good idea to wait and see what they announce before making a decision.

Like @PzR Slim said, we'll need more info on things like budget and space.

Most wheels don't come with a shifter packaged-in these days because that bumps up the price for something that not everybody will use. If you're looking for something to start off with without breaking the bank, a T150 puts you into the Thrustmaster ecosystem, so a shifter and upgraded pedals can be bought down the road. Moving up, the T300 gives you stronger internals and the ability to swap out rims.

If you're playing on PC or XB1 in addition to PS4, and the budget allows, I recommend the Fanatec CSL Elite (and not just because of the review!). With a wheel swap, it works on XB1, making it a triple threat.

There's also the new Drivehub device, that makes cross-platform possible.

Thanks so far. Space is not too much of an issue as I plan to build the base and frame complete with a racing chair. Budget wise I'm around $500 +/- for the complete set.

I'm very satisfied with my T300 GTE, T3PA pedals, TH8A shifter. Afterwards I also bought the 599xx and F1 wheel separate. 599xx most used now. Larger diameter and good (alcantara) grip. Only extra add on for me would be Bodin brake load cell (if available) or more expensive Fanatec pedals and you have to add an extra convertor.

Choose the Thrustmaster also because of the possibility to change the rims.

For $500 you can buy a nice set!

I bought a T300RS GTE for GTS. I tested it with AC and it's pretty solid IMO.

I wished the break pedal had some room for lateral adjustment but other than that, I'm happy with it.

Thanks so far. Space is not too much of an issue as I plan to build the base and frame complete with a racing chair. Budget wise I'm around $500 +/- for the complete set.
That's not a huge budget so I would go the DIY route on the rig if you can. My First rig was DIY.

Lyjk7Gh.jpg

The seat cost me around $50 of ebay and I spent another $50 on materials to build the rig. That would leave a decent amount to spend on a wheel which really should be where you spend most of your budget if you can.

I've owned all sorts of wheel over the years from budget to high end and the extra money you spend really is worth it. Not only because they are built better and are likely to last longer but it does add to the experience.

Currently I'm still on PS3/GT6 using a Driving Force GT wheel and very happy about it. Sadly I have to sell it because its not PS4 compatible.
I'll get a Thrustmaster T150 RS for GTS, you dont need more than that if you have good skills. If you are bad you'll do bad even with the most expensive ones.

you dont need more than that if you have good skills.

You don't need more than that if you have poor skills, totally irrelevant point. However, if you are looking for the most realistic experience a higher end wheel will give you that.

That's not a huge budget so I would go the DIY route on the rig if you can. My First rig was DIY.

Lyjk7Gh.jpg

The seat cost me around $50 of ebay and I spent another $50 on materials to build the rig. That would leave a decent amount to spend on a wheel which really should be where you spend most of your budget if you can.

I've owned all sorts of wheel over the years from budget to high end and the extra money you spend really is worth it. Not only because they are built better and are likely to last longer but it does add to the experience.

Oooh wait I thought (might be wrong assumption) he meant $500 for the wheel/pedal/shifter set. If it is for the complete set including the seat/frame then is your DIY indeed a great solution!

You're talking about lap time and you're right,but people who buy expensive steering wheels are looking for a more realistic experience not lap time.

You don't need more than that if you have poor skills, totally irrelevant point. However, if you are looking for the most realistic experience a higher end wheel will give you that.
Meh, I dont think its worth it, since to get a remotely realistic experience you will need a motion rig which is crazy expensive.

Meh, I dont think its worth it, since to get a remotely realistic experience you will need a motion rig which is crazy expensive.
Mine wasn't that expensive. However, once again you make a terrible point. Not having a motion rig is much less realistic than having one, that's obvious. However, having a more expensive wheel in your hands that transmits more and better ffb to your hands is more realistic than a cheaper, less well built wheel that doesn't transmit as much ffb or do it as well. That is also obvious.

Mine wasn't that expensive. However, once again you make a terrible point. Not having a motion rig is much less realistic than having one, that's obvious. However, having a more expensive wheel in your hands that transmits more and better ffb to your hands is more realistic than a cheaper, less well built wheel that doesn't transmit as much ffb or do it as well. That is also obvious.
It can be twice as expensive but not twice as good. I think the T150 is a better value for money

It can be twice as expensive but not twice as good. I think the T150 is a better value for money
I don't. It's immaterial however as the OP has told us what the budget is so the OP's decision how much they want to spend, not mine or yours.

Let's compare T150 with T300 which is twice as expensive.T150 has abour 2Nm torque T300 has abour 4Nm.
T300 rotation speed is also about twice as fast than T150 which is very important during drifting.T150 has dual gear/belt drive mechanism with big internal friction making the force feedback pretty rough compared to T300 which has dual belt drive friction free mechanism which makes the force feedback about twice smoother.Also T150 has 1080° rotation angle with optical reading with 12-bit resolution for 4,096 values on the wheel’s steering axis while T300 has 1080° rotation angle with HallEffect AccuRate Technology, featuring a contactless magnetic sensor which provides 16-bit resolution, for 65,536 values on the wheel’s steering.

Last edited:
Let's compare T150 with T300 which is twice as expensive.T150 has abour 2Nm torque T300 has abour 4Nm.
T300 rotation speed is also about twice as fast than T150 which is very important during drifting.T150 has dual gear/belt drive mechanism with big internal friction making the force feedback pretty rough compared to T300 which has dual belt drive friction free mechanism which makes the force feedback about twice smoother.Also T150 has 1080° rotation angle with optical reading with 12-bit resolution for 4,096 values on the wheel’s steering axis while T300 has 1080° rotation angle with HallEffect AccuRate Technology, featuring a contactless magnetic sensor which provides 16-bit resolution, for 65,536 values on the wheel’s steering.
Good display of numbers! Sadly I dont care one bit about numbers, but about feeling.
I've tried the G29 which is also roughly twice as expensive... the feeling you get is nowhere near twice as good IMO

Good display of numbers! Sadly I dont care one bit about numbers, but about feeling.
If you want to feel understeer better the wheel must have more torque.If you want to feel the oversteer better/ sooner the wheel must have faster rotation speed. If you want to feel small forces in the force feedback and the wheel to feel smoother the wheel must have less internal friction.If you want to place the car more precisely on track you need higher resolution.Do yourself a favor and try T300 before buying T150.
I've tried the G29 which is also roughly twice as expensive... the feeling you get is nowhere near twice as good IMO
I completely agree.

If you want to feel understeer better the wheel must have more torque.If you want to feel the oversteer better/ sooner the wheel must have faster rotation speed. If you want to feel small forces in the force feedback and the wheel to feel smoother the wheel must have less internal friction.If you want to place the car more precisely on track you need higher resolution.Do yourself a favor and try T300 before buying T150.
T150 precision is enough. What matters most is your skill regarding precision. If you are bad you will be bad with any wheel. If you are good you will be good with any wheel (that has FFB I mean). Thats what I've personally seen

I ran a T150 before getting a T300 and the difference between the two is far more noticeable that I thought it would be.

The level of detail and progression is greatly enhanced with the T300, mainly down to the massive increase in resolution, and the greater torque and friction free drive makes it far smoother.

Now if the difference is worth the increase in price is down to the individual, however if I was doing it again I would have gone straight to the T300.

Personally, I would like the circular wheel with the largest diameter. Will that require that I buy the base/wheel/pedals/shifter separately?

For the largest diameter, yes. As @PzR Slim said, Fanatec has a few rims in the pipeline, so it's hard to say for sure about those. But of its existing models, I believe the 918 RSR rim is the largest fully circular wheel (12.5"). It's quite pricey on its own, though. The CSL Elite PS4's feels much better than the original's XB1 P1 rim, and it's only slightly smaller (11.8").

IIRC, Thrustmaster tops out at 11.8" too. The T-GT didn't feel appreciably larger than that.

Fanatec wheel support in GTS still hasn't been announced, though, right? :/

Not yet, no... ;)

I think that puts a Fanatec+shifter combo slightly out of budget. The CSL Elite PS4 isn't available in North America quite yet, but it's likely to come in right at $500. The shifter's another $200.

A Thrustmaster T300 RS GT comes with a three-pedal set. Throw the shifter on there and you're closer to your budget — and chances are, if you can wait until Black Friday, you'll be able to snap up any/all of the above at a sizeable discount. That'd be about six weeks of playing GT Sport without a wheel.

If you look at Thrustmaster then I would strongly recommend including budget for the Ricmotech short shift adapter, it improves the shifter (which is already very, very good) to a massive degree.

I don't even know if should buy a wheel anymore, the content in this game is so underwhelming.
You don't even really know whats in the game since it is not out yet. Only what you've seen in a very limited beta and some youtube videos. Have faith.

Back