What WILL you make with a GPS enabled or very detailed track editor?

• Thread starter smskeeter23
  • 1,100 comments
Take a GPS on a real track, Mosport comes to mind...

Or, (If it didn't matter how tight the turns are.) go dirtbiking. You could recreate the jumps in real life. :dopey:

You mean this?:

transfagarasan.jpg~original

Nothing to complain about there, but it's a little like just racing from hairpin to hairpin. I think I'd prefer the flow of the Targa Florio, but a combination of the two would be great!!

This track is available for rfactor and is really awesome. It changes alot front top to bottom (its 26kms IIRC) and is much much more than racing from hairpin to hairpin. One could argue that it has more variation than the 72km Targa Florio (also available for rfactor and a WIP for rfactor2).

:lol: Well that's going to be awkward. Small roundabouts will just look like errors in the construction of the track because they're just so small (like a small chicane that is so small that you could go two wide through it in a direct straight line). Maybe I'll just drive over the top of the small roundabouts. :lol: And when I get pulled up by the police, I'll explain that I'm getting data to make a Gran Turismo track.

I have a few local roundabouts which are absolutely tiny.
Someone posted earlier that the sampling rate on phone GPS trackers was once every 2 seconds IIRC. If that's the case, I wouldn't be going too quickly on any route I was trying to map. Even at 60km/h, that's nearly 17m/s. You have to assume the software will interpolate between the data points, so if you want accuracy, more data points/drive slower will be key. Doing it on a bike or walking would provide the best accuracy.

This track is available for rfactor and is really awesome. It changes alot front top to bottom (its 26kms IIRC) and is much much more than racing from hairpin to hairpin. One could argue that it has more variation than the 72km Targa Florio (also available for rfactor and a WIP for rfactor2).
I'm sure both tracks are great. What's that one called in rFactor? Here's the Targa on rFactor:

Someone posted earlier that the sampling rate on phone GPS trackers was once every 2 seconds IIRC. If that's the case, I wouldn't be going too quickly on any route I was trying to map. Even at 60km/h, that's nearly 17m/s. You have to assume the software will interpolate between the data points, so if you want accuracy, more data points/drive slower will be key. Doing it on a bike or walking would provide the best accuracy.

In that case, it's going to take me awhile to bike ride my 11 KM epic track. :lol:

"
The inertial sensors (gyroscope and accelerometers) allow for measurement of motion in 6 Degrees of freedom upto a sampling rate of 100Hz. The assisted GPS allows for tracking of the position of the iphone along with the orientation given by the compass at 1 second intervals. The GPS coordinates are given in latitude and longitude.
The WiFi, 3G, and bluetooth allow for data transfer to a remote repository. The GPS and WiFi also assist in obtaining a more accurate location."

:) The tools of iOS devices :)

"
The inertial sensors (gyroscope and accelerometers) allow for measurement of motion in 6 Degrees of freedom upto a sampling rate of 100Hz. The assisted GPS allows for tracking of the position of the iphone along with the orientation given by the compass at 1 second intervals. The GPS coordinates are given in latitude and longitude.
The WiFi, 3G, and bluetooth allow for data transfer to a remote repository. The GPS and WiFi also assist in obtaining a more accurate location."

:) The tools of iOS devices :)
Once per second then, at 60 km/h would be once every 17 metres. Back to the roundabouts, there are a few small ones around here as well, single lane, no more than 15 metres curb to curb. Basically any really tight turn you're going to have to slow down considerably to get an accurate reading. Even a chicane or series of "S" turns might be interpolated incorrectly by the Course Maker if you're going too fast.

Once per second then, at 60 km/h would be once every 17 metres. Back to the roundabouts, there are a few small ones around here as well, single lane, no more than 15 metres curb to curb. Basically any really tight turn you're going to have to slow down considerably to get an accurate reading. Even a chicane or series of "S" turns might be interpolated incorrectly by the Course Maker if you're going too fast.

"The GPS and WiFi also assist in obtaining a more accurate location." If PD does it right, GPS won't be the only system returning a location :)

"The GPS and WiFi also assist in obtaining a more accurate location." If PD does it right, GPS won't be the only system returning a location :)
Ah. So ill kinda have to give money to O2 in order to make a track? :banghead:

If I get some data for my phone, or mod the Garmin GPS to somehow track like a phone app (if that's possible at all), I would make a virtual copy of some of the E45, and maybe some of the roads around my neighbourhood. :D

If I could, I would use the whole Indianapolis city limits and make one Hell of a Rally circuit. :D

Well, myself, as soon as the app's out, I'm gonna head to the Hoover Dam and record some of the snakier roads near it, always wanted to go fast through there :D.

Also, our local mountain road on Mt. Charleston.

But as for what I'm hoping someone else will record...

This:

xcDq8fd.jpg

ijFO8JB.jpg

Stelvio Pass, Italy.

I hope someone can recreate the old 14km version of the Spa-Francorchamps circuit :)

Well, myself, as soon as the app's out, I'm gonna head to the Hoover Dam and record some of the snakier roads near it, always wanted to go fast through there :D.

Also, our local mountain road on Mt. Charleston.

But as for what I'm hoping someone else will record...

This:

xcDq8fd.jpg

ijFO8JB.jpg

Stelvio Pass, Italy.

Going to drive the Stelvio Pass next summer. I already drove it 2 years ago. Really nice to drive, but I drove it the wrong way. I went down the hairpins, which is less fun then going from the bottom upwards

While I'm waiting to actually get GT6 in my console to pass judgment on the new course creator(didn't like the one in GT5) there is a point-to-point road that has a ton of history in the racing community here in the western United States, I speak of a mountain road known as "Mulholland Hwy" in the Los Angeles area. The stretch between Las Virgenes Rd. and Kanan-Dune Rd. is a very challenging piece of road that the local racers have been using since the mid-1950's to do a bit of canyon carving. The famous "Rock Store" is located up in that area and I've spent many a Sunday morning up there running the road.

While I'm waiting to actually get GT6 in my console to pass judgment on the new course creator(didn't like the one in GT5) there is a point-to-point road that has a ton of history in the racing community here in the western United States, I speak of a mountain road known as "Mulholland Hwy" in the Los Angeles area. The stretch between Las Virgenes Rd. and Kanan-Dune Rd. is a very challenging piece of road that the local racers have been using since the mid-1950's to do a bit of canyon carving. The famous "Rock Store" is located up in that area and I've spent many a Sunday morning up there running the road.

This is entirely worthy of a post

Circuit Gilles Villeneuve anyone? Although it might have to wait if the track is closedto the public by December. It's usually open to cyclists and runners from May onward.

What about my daily road to school? It'd be a 27 km point to point race ran from B to A. The first half is curvy and tecnical, the 2nd half opens up and is faster.
Unbenannt4.png
A few shots:
Unbenannt5.png
Unbenannt3.png
Unbenannt2.png

Attachments

• Unbenannt2.png
    Unbenannt2.png
    442.4 KB · Views: 5

Latest Posts

Back