What WILL you make with a GPS enabled or very detailed track editor?

• Thread starter smskeeter23
  • 1,100 comments
Am I the only one exited for the social aspect of the course creator? It's going to be so much fun doing this exact same thing when the feature gets actually released and people get along looking for that perfect imagined/invented race course that is near their hometown.

At first I was a bit bummed at the fact that we can't use services like Google Maps for this but that means that we are going to get closer as a community since we now need help from each other if there are places we want to record but can't get there, yet someone else can.

When I was a child, I used to sketch out a lot of racetrack layouts.

When GT6 gets a very detailed course maker, I'd recreate the ones I can still remember :lol:

I'm going to head down to Long Beach and try to map out the course used for the Long Beach GP and next year once it is announced I will map out the Formula E race track. If I can I will also map out the oval/road course section of the Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Ca.
The problem with Long Beach is that to map it accurately, you would have to either go the wrong way down Shoreline Drive (front straight) and then the wrong way around a traffic circle (turns 2 and 3), or going the other way, go the wrong way down the street between turns 4 and 5. I also wonder if there would be access to the parking lot for the section between turns 9 and 11. Hopefully, it will be possible to map out courses in sections and merge them together.

If all else fails, the only thing to do will be to walk it, which I'll do if I have to.

I'm still skeptical whether we're actually getting what we think we are. Why can't we see some footage of this GPS course maker??

I'd be happy with just a course maker like ModNationRacers where you can actually design the track yourself rather than it being randomly generated by set numbers.....

XA604Px.png

This 3-mile loop is what I call the Winonaring, about 30 minutes away from me in Warsaw. Start/Finish line located at "D". The Winona-Smith Hairpin is gonna be 🤬 nasty.

I'm still skeptical whether we're actually getting what we think we are. Why can't we see some footage of this GPS course maker??

I'd be happy with just a course maker like ModNationRacers where you can actually design the track yourself rather than it being randomly generated by set numbers.....
I guess it's not ready for prime time yet. If it had been in the day 1 release we might have seen something. My guess is that there are features of it that they would like to include which, for various reasons, might not make it, so they are keeping a lid on expectations.

WHY MUST GTP SUCK ALL OPTIMISM OUT OF GT6? LET US HAVE OUR FUN FOR 🤬 SAKE :mad:👎
Someone expressing their skepticism doesn't have to affect your fun...unless you allow it to. When it comes to PD and GT, skepticism about features not yet released is quite reasonable.

I will go mountain biking and recreate my local trails, should make a great 4 mile uphill/downhill rally track :D

The problem with Long Beach is that to map it accurately, you would have to either go the wrong way down Shoreline Drive (front straight) and then the wrong way around a traffic circle (turns 2 and 3), or going the other way, go the wrong way down the street between turns 4 and 5. I also wonder if there would be access to the parking lot for the section between turns 9 and 11. Hopefully, it will be possible to map out courses in sections and merge them together.

If all else fails, the only thing to do will be to walk it, which I'll do if I have to.
You could walk your track if it can't be driven. :)

Someone expressing their skepticism doesn't have to affect your fun...unless you allow it to. When it comes to PD and GT, skepticism about features not yet released is quite reasonable.
Would just like to point out that was my indirect way of saying "Why on earth would you just post something like 'THIS MAY NOT EVEN HAPPEN OMG' in a thread about this thing. It gets kinda annoying.

Hmmm. I might like to see Giants' Despair...
c48efd44ff59d67cf40acc0c1adb5de7.jpg

Well, at least I hope people make stuff like that and aren't just driving around their suburban sprawl subdivisions.

I was just looking at that. I figured that if we were able to map it we could still edit it to some extent to fix any kinks that might come from the GPS. I was probably going to walk it anyway, Inglewood to Long Beach is a looong drive in traffic but the train takes you right there.

Lot's of great ideas in this thread but does anyone know how the data from your phone is transferred to the game? My phone has a charger cable with a usb connection, would this be the way? If it's possible I would create the route from my house, back to my house, via my friends house, about a 6 mile round trip.

Lot's of great ideas in this thread but does anyone know how the data from your phone is transferred to the game?.

At this point it's all theory and conjecture. Nobody really knows anything for sure yet other than that PD stated a GPS function will be forthcoming.

i wonder if they will make it so you can download other people's made tracks. I think it would be a good addition to gt6

Hmmm. I might like to see Giants' Despair...
c48efd44ff59d67cf40acc0c1adb5de7.jpg

Well, at least I hope people make stuff like that and aren't just driving around their suburban sprawl subdivisions.
I've been there, about 2 hours north of me, well not the actual event (I was born exactly 44 years after the second date) but went around where it was held, pretty awesome

At this point it's all theory and conjecture. Nobody really knows anything for sure yet other than that PD stated a GPS function will be forthcoming.
Really only two options here I would have thought.

The app uploads the GPS trace to your online PSN account, which the game then download off the server.

Or

You transfer the file from your phone via either USB or other method to your local PS3.

Given the messy nature of the second option, my guess is the first option.

Lot's of great ideas in this thread but does anyone know how the data from your phone is transferred to the game? My phone has a charger cable with a usb connection, would this be the way? If it's possible I would create the route from my house, back to my house, via my friends house, about a 6 mile round trip.

Why would this affect your ability to upload the track. Either online, or usb uploading isn't going to prevent you from doing what you are suggesting.

Anyone know if this GPS map maker will have height difference, or just a plain level?

Would suck if you could only create maps with no hills, valleys etc.

I don't want to wreck the hype train, but do you guys have any real experience with GPS logging? I logging my MTB rides (and uploading to strava.com) and from my experience GPS accuracy can be quite off.
I don't think that good track can be created from raw logged GPS data, it will need some editing to get shape of the corners right. Maybe draw track in Google Maps and export GPS data will be more straightforward, even though I don't know if that is possible.

I don't want to wreck the hype train, but do you guys have any real experience with GPS logging? I logging my MTB rides (and uploading to strava.com) and from my experience GPS accuracy can be quite off.
I don't think that good track can be created from raw logged GPS data, it will need some editing to get shape of the corners right. Maybe draw track in Google Maps and export GPS data will be more straightforward, even though I don't know if that is possible.

I said this in the early stages of the thread... "The other thing that would come into play with this I'm sure would be some sort of "filtering" of the datapoints. I presume the generator would try to make sense of jagged points by smoothing them out."

I had drawn out a comparison of what I thought a "filtered" version of a course layout might look like against actual data points. Unfortunately those pics got gobbled up in the transition to GTP12. Maybe it's time to make another one.

Back