What would make Gran Turismo 7 a guaranteed purchase for you?

• Thread starter bremics
  • 537 comments

• Total voters
FS7
Ideally there should be 2 separate sliders for difficulty, 1 for pace & 1 for aggression. Pace is generally good in PCars but I'd probably turn the aggressiveness down a bit with certain car/track combinations.

We had sliders in the pCARS alpha. It wasn't as simple as pace and aggression, from memory there was about a dozen of them and the interactions were pretty weird sometimes.

It could probably be done, but I could imagine it being exponentially more difficult to test that two sliders don't interact in a buggy way than just one. I suspect that's the only real reason.

That's the thing PD doesn't seem to understand, by working on the AI and proving more options (difficulty sliders, qualifying, damage, penalties, adjustable race length) PD could make GT more challenging for experienced players while maintaining the game accessible for casual players.

There's also somewhat of a halo effect that comes from super difficult content. MMOs have this (or used to have), in that there would be the top tier of endgame content that was only actually accessed by a very small percentage of players, but was aspirational for everyone.

Racing games can have that, like the iRacing pro series where there's only a couple handfuls of people actually racing but it's something for all players to look up to. I think it's important for games that are based on skills or progression to have this sort of tiered content to provide goals and achievements for the significant number of players who that style of play appeals to.

In a single player game, having something equivalent to a Nightmare difficulty means people almost always have something to work towards unless your name is Huttu.

Whatever it seems to be doing, I dont mind it. It's the closest racing I've had with AI(across the whole field) in any current racer.

Forza has it's "Unbeatable" setting, but all that really means is "only the people in the first handful of places are going to pose any challange."

For its purpose in a game it's more than fine, yes. They are very aware of their damage modeling, so all the contacts (even with ad signage!), is ultimately not detrimental to the user.
Be it 3 or 30 laps, having aggressive opponents inside their damage constraints will 1) keep the user/player engaged in the activity and 2) not be punitive.
It's nowhere close to a "simulation of race behaviour", but its values are within what you expect from a game for entertainment.

For exemple, in the Ginetta video you'll see a lot of contacts between front panel of a car with the rear of another. Really dangerous type of contact since tyres are not inviting to that abuse, and it can easily cause the front car to spin.
It certainly can happen in a real race, but *accidentally.
The BMW at Snetterton shows what users (I'm assuming the black car is a player for the usual behaviour) do to AIs and they have to cope with that.
First he abuses by almost ramming the back in the S, the he fails to overtake in that small straight yet he keeps his inside line. Til there officials would be "all right...", but then at the curve he doesn't care about the opponent and keeps the opening out line, driving the other car off track. And then proceeds to stay on the out lane, almost causing a crash since the car on the grass comes back in hot.

But overall, that is hard to fix since they don't try to educate race behavior to the user. The AI isn't going to mind that too. So that's why online you'll have lots of players trying to dig spaces inside of a curve or trying to overtake in small straights when there's no possibility.

I don't think at this day where online (the ultimate AI) is the norm, companies will put much work into something other than useable or fitting in terms of AI because it's expensive computationally, expensive to debug, and well, expensive.
However as damage modeling and rule setting advances, it's possible to offer at least something educational.
A parallel exemple is iRacing ranking system which leads participants to educate themselves.

And a side issue on options, too much "option" is overwhelming. That's why fiddling with controller options is a task that can be off-putting to many, or calibrating TV colors. You'll have a large percentage of users that start from a non-expertise position, and throwing it all on their laps and saying "figure it out what is right" doesn't solve anything.

For exemple, in the Ginetta video you'll see a lot of contacts between front panel of a car with the rear of another. Really dangerous type of contact since tyres are not inviting to that abuse, and it can easily cause the front car to spin.
It certainly can happen in a real race, but *accidentally.
Do you watch much Ginetta Jnr racing? Its not that uncommon.

The BMW at Snetterton shows what users (I'm assuming the black car is a player for the usual behaviour) do to AIs and they have to cope with that.
First he abuses by almost ramming the back in the S, the he fails to overtake in that small straight yet he keeps his inside line. Til there officials would be "all right...", but then at the curve he doesn't care about the opponent and keeps the opening out line, driving the other car off track. And then proceeds to stay on the out lane, almost causing a crash since the car on the grass comes back in hot.
As the driver of the car please allow me to put my position on this:

First he abuses by almost ramming the back in the S,

Now aside from the fact that no contact was made, I didn't almost ram anyone. I'm not aware of any race series in which this would be an actionable situation at all.

the he fails to overtake in that small straight yet he keeps his inside line.

Now aside from it not being an overtaking move, rather a positioning move for the next corner (which would require me to be on the inside line) not a single bit of it is again actionable from a stewards point of view.

Til there officials would be "all right...",

Indeed, because from a marshal or stewards position nothing 'incorrect has happened'!

but then at the curve he doesn't care about the opponent and keeps the opening out line, driving the other car off track.
Utter and compete nonsense, not only was my car ahead at the apex but I left room by not opening the line fully.
Screenshot from 2016-04-28 00:15:35.png

Plenty of room was left after the apex, as such it is not a deliberate attempt to force another driver off the track. In fact the manoeuvre that cause the yellow car to eventually leave the track occurred just after the apex and wasn't even a result of my line that followed (as the following gif shows) and in particular given that pretty much a full car width between the two when the yellow car left the track. As such I don't see how I forced a car off the track while being over six foot away from the damn thing.

output_iNQeW6.gif

And then proceeds to stay on the out lane, almost causing a crash since the car on the grass comes back in hot.

Can you please provide me with an example of a single racing series in which a car rejoining the track has priority over a car that is still on track? I'm not aware of a single one. The responsibility for safely rejoining a track lies with the driver that has left the track (well according the FIA anyway).

Feel free to cite the sections of the FIA regulations that you believe I have fallen foul of.

Last edited:
Do you watch much Ginetta Jnr racing? Its not that uncommon.

As the driver of the car please allow me to put my position on this:

First he abuses by almost ramming the back in the S,
Now aside from the fact that no contact was made, I didn't almost ram anyone. I'm not aware of any race series in which this would be an actionable situation at all.

Yellow car starts braking at 0:08 to adjust to the next apex. Look at the wheel distance between the two cars.

sufDkxN.png

You are tailing him and clearly was going for a later brake point. No contact hence "almost ramming".
Understandable but small concern. > "All right..."

the he fails to overtake in that small straight yet he keeps his inside line.
Now aside from it not being an overtaking move, rather a positioning move for the next corner (which would require me to be on the inside line) not a single bit of it is again actionable from a stewards point of view.

Not an overtake move?
Start of the small straight section at 0:11.

jIjpNTf.png

Then you swerve to the inside lane when the next curve is to the right hand.
giphy.gif

Til there officials would be "all right...",
Indeed, because from a marshal or stewards position nothing 'incorrect has happened'!

Yeah, driving aggressively and attempting stuff happens. Attempting to overtake in that small straight and blocking the future line from the inside happens. Not a good look, but it happens.

but then at the curve he doesn't care about the opponent and keeps the opening out line, driving the other car off track.
Utter and compete nonsense, not only was my car ahead at the apex but I left room by not opening the line fully.

Plenty of room was left after the apex, as such it is not a deliberate attempt to force another driver off the track. In fact the manoeuvre that cause the yellow car to eventually leave the track occurred just after the apex and wasn't even a result of my line that followed.

At the curve start, the yellow car who is following the normal line (outside, inside, outside), tries to take the curve but you came AT THE SAME SPEED on the inside. So he has to point his car out of his line. AI didn't touch here, points to them!

UFjpRzv.jpg

giphy.gif

That maneuver of his is what throws him off the road. He doesn't pull a Gran Turismo and slows down to avoid that since he trusts his TCS, entering with the left side first for a second then being pulled into the grass.

And then proceeds to stay on the out lane, almost causing a crash since the car on the grass comes back in hot.
Can you please provide me with an example of a single racing series in which a car rejoining the track has priority over a car that is still on track? I'm not aware of a single one. The responsibility for safely rejoining a track lies with the driver that has left the track (well according the FIA anyway).

Feel free to cite the sections of the FIA regulations that you believe I have fallen foul of.

That's correct, coming in hot from the grass is the opponent's fault. But it did look (by the car and driver animation) that you moved to the left.

giphy.gif

But of course, you just may not have seen him since you forced him out of track while he barely lost speed in the arc he made in the grass.

And that's not to say you are a bad driver, that's just common behavior since aggressive driving rewards hugely outweigh the risks in games.
And you'll see similar stuff at times in real racing where viewers think the driver is bold and daring while whoever he is against just think he's a butt.

Last edited:
Yellow car starts braking at 0:08 to adjust to the next apex. Look at the wheel distance between the two cars.

sufDkxN.png

You are tailing him and clearly was going for a later brake point. No contact hence "almost ramming".
Understandable but small concern. > "All right..."
Concern for what? If no contact is made its not an issue. Do you actually watch any form of racing? Nose to tail in these kind of situations is extremely common in Touring Car, GT and Sport's car racing.

Not an overtake move?
Start of the small straight section at 0:11.

jIjpNTf.png

Then you swerve to the inside lane when the next curve is to the right hand.
giphy.gif
Now aside from you not being the driver and therefore in no position to state exactly why I was making the move, you seem to be unaware that getting the inside line to overtake is a) quite normal and b) the FIA regulation allow an overtake to be carried out on either side.

Yeah, driving aggressively and attempting stuff happens. Attempting to overtake in that small straight and blocking the future line from the inside happens. Not a good look, but it happens.
Again you seem to have the power to determine exactly what I was doing, odd that (and not to mention wrong).

At the curve start, the yellow car who is following the normal line (outside, inside, outside), tries to take the curve but you came AT THE SAME SPEED on the inside. So he has to point his car out of his line. AI didn't touch here, points to them!

That maneuver of his is what throws him off the road. He doesn't pull a Gran Turismo and slows down to avoid that since he trusts his TCS, entering with the left side first for a second then being pulled into the grass.
And had I not been alongside him for the entire preceding straight you might of had a point, but I was, giving me both the line and position at the apex.

Is it an aggressive move? Yes. Does it break any sporting regulation (from say the FIA)? No. Do I drive the other car off track? No.

Here a highlight reel of Super GT Overtakes, the majority of which are done by getting on the inside line on the straight before a corner and then taking the inside line to the apex and denying that line to the car on the outside line.

What I did is so spectacularly normal in racing I'm actually quite surprised you believe that taking the inside line to overtake into a corner equates to forcing someone off track!

That's correct, coming in hot from the grass is the opponent's fault. But it did look (by the car and driver animation) that you moved to the left.
And now you simply making things up, not to mention that even had I, it would make no difference at all to the sporting regulations regarding cars rejoining the track.

But of course, you just may not have seen him since you forced him out of track while he barely lost speed in the arc he made in the grass.
The AI attempted to tighten the line to make the apex, realized I was on the line and overdid the correction while doing so. At no point did I force him off the track either accidentally (which is not a violation of driving standards) or deliberately (which is). You can't deliberately force a car off the track when you are six foot away from it when it leaves the track!

Please show me a single example of a driver being sanctioned for forcing a car off track deliberately when they are six foot away from it! Nor once again does it make a blind bit of difference to the car returning to the track, as doing so is the sole responsibility of the car rejoining, utterly regardless of the reason why they left the track (please feel free to cite FIA regs if you believe otherwise).

Last edited:
I don't think at this day where online (the ultimate AI) is the norm, companies will put much work into something other than useable or fitting in terms of AI because it's expensive computationally, expensive to debug, and well, expensive.
However as damage modeling and rule setting advances, it's possible to offer at least something educational. A parallel exemple is iRacing ranking system which leads participants to educate themselves.
I don't think online is the norm at all in sim racing, outside of iRacing, offline is and will be king for a long time IMO. Even in GT5, which sold 10+ million units, there were usually fewer than 300 active lobbies at one time. A few months into GT6 and before the introduction of QM it was not unusual to find less than 100 active lobbies on a given evening. Assetto Corsa, a sim with a pretty skimpy career mode and little else to do offline but hotlap, typically is currently averaging about 1000 or so online out of 300,000 players and never makes the Steam top 100 games in terms of online players, in spite of being an overwhelmingly successful sim racer. rFactor 2 typically averages less than 100 online.

And a side issue on options, too much "option" is overwhelming. That's why fiddling with controller options is a task that can be off-putting to many, or calibrating TV colors. You'll have a large percentage of users that start from a non-expertise position, and throwing it all on their laps and saying "figure it out what is right" doesn't solve anything.
True, but an array of options is easily overcome with friendly default settings. Only the more hardcore players will be looking at tweaking anyway.

Given the talk about VR and the likes, guaranteed purchase decision for me is if the only difference on the PS4.5 version is the support of VR. If there's inter-gen* console exclusives then I'll be pissed right off and probably have a boycott huff given the alternatives that are in the market now...

*See what I dd there! ;o)

Given the talk about VR and the likes, guaranteed purchase decision for me is if the only difference on the PS4.5 version is the support of VR. If there's inter-gen* console exclusives then I'll be pissed right off and probably have a boycott huff given the alternatives that are in the market now...

*See what I dd there! ;o)

Don't worry then. The titles will be the same as it is in the guidelines for development. Moving forward all developers must develop for both platforms and anything provided for one must be provided equally for the other and if there is a bug on one it is unacceptable for the developer to ignore it and point people to the other.

Clearly Sony realise they need to be careful here because this is breaking the Golden rule of consoles but if they do nothing console gaming will be dead.

However there could be an issue. Any title made for 4.5 must exceed 1080p and at the highest resolution supported the frame rate must meet or exceed that of the PS4. If 4.5 has a frame rate advantage players using it have an advantage. Some unknowns (for me anyway). Will 4.5 support triples or 21:9? If so it has a potential advantage. Will the new GPU support Freesync? If so it has an advantage. The 4.5 has the potential to provide a competitive advantage over 4 users.

I'm pretty sure all we really know at this time is the 4.5 will have a better CPU, GPU and more memory with the intent to support higher resolution gaming than the 4 does and that developers are not allowed to show preference to either and that they are not allowed to have a lower frame rate on 4.5 than they already have on 4. Also VR titles will not be approved unless they have a frame rate of at least 60fps at all times.

Concern for what? If no contact is made its not an issue. Do you actually watch any form of racing? Nose to tail in these kind of situations is extremely common in Touring Car, GT and Sport's car racing.

Now aside from you not being the driver and therefore in no position to state exactly why I was making the move, you seem to be unaware that getting the inside line to overtake is a) quite normal and b) the FIA regulation allow an overtake to be carried out on either side.

Again you seem to have the power to determine exactly what I was doing, odd that (and not to mention wrong).

And had I not been alongside him for the entire preceding straight you might of had a point, but I was, giving me both the line and position at the apex.

Is it an aggressive move? Yes. Does it break any sporting regulation (from say the FIA)? No. Do I drive the other car off track? No.

Here a highlight reel of Super GT Overtakes, the majority of which are done by getting on the inside line on the straight before a corner and then taking the inside line to the apex and denying that line to the car on the outside line.

What I did is so spectacularly normal in racing I'm actually quite surprised you believe that taking the inside line to overtake into a corner equates to forcing someone off track!

And now you simply making things up, not to mention that even had I, it would make no difference at all to the sporting regulations regarding cars rejoining the track.

The AI attempted to tighten the line to make the apex, realized I was on the line and overdid the correction while doing so. At no point did I force him off the track either accidentally (which is not a violation of driving standards) or deliberately (which is). You can't deliberately force a car off the track when you are six foot away from it when it leaves the track!

Please show me a single example of a driver being sanctioned for forcing a car off track deliberately when they are six foot away from it! Nor once again does it make a blind bit of difference to the car returning to the track, as doing so is the sole responsibility of the car rejoining, utterly regardless of the reason why they left the track (please feel free to cite FIA regs if you believe otherwise).

It's simple, race marshalls/officials/stewads analyze driver behavior to make calls.

You tail him with a late break line.
You take the inside line but you are not faster than him, and is attempting to overtake it on a small straight.
You hold the inside line at same pace but after the curve you do not leave a car space (see you positioning to the side of the track).

"All right..."

The Super GT video is a great illustration on how it's exciting to viewers but for drivers someone is always the asshole. The Eneos Lexus at ~1:23 could ask them to review the Zent Lexus line since he digs in a spot at the inside, never having a body advantage during the curve, and pushes the line outside forcing the Eneos to go off-track to avoid collision.
You wanted to know the racing conduct:

Chapter 4 - 2B * Vague wording intended
However, manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are strictly prohibited. Any driver who appears guilty of any of the above offences will be reported to the Stewards.

The Zent pushes the Eneos knowingly since he doesn't want to miss the Mercedes. It's visible. Was he flagged or punished? Probably not, interpreting all that is up to the officials and as we see at F1, "no harm, no foul" usually.

But as I said, you are not doing anything abnormal or illegal, you are just driving aggressively against the AI.
Senna was a known asshole, driving for himself and pushing others to "correct". Hamilton is similar.

Driving like that is the norm in games. Risk aversion has to be programmed onto AIs, it's not some spontaneous reaction.

But if you say you didn't at any moment had the intention to overtake him, close the space on that line, and protect the entrance, ok. I only have the video, not your brain transcript.

I don't think online is the norm at all in sim racing, outside of iRacing, offline is and will be king for a long time IMO. Even in GT5, which sold 10+ million units, there were usually fewer than 300 active lobbies at one time. A few months into GT6 and before the introduction of QM it was not unusual to find less than 100 active lobbies on a given evening. Assetto Corsa, a sim with a pretty skimpy career mode and little else to do offline but hotlap, typically is currently averaging about 1000 or so online out of 300,000 players and never makes the Steam top 100 games in terms of online players, in spite of being an overwhelmingly successful sim racer. rFactor 2 typically averages less than 100 online.

Online is the norm since most games (racing genre included) released have an online and multiplayer component.

Unfortunately, those numbers don't tell how many unique users in a day any of those games has. Time zones work with hour peak rates.
And it doesn't tell how many are playing "online modes" compared to playing the game.

Then we'd have to see what are retention rates (how many of 300k are still playing after a month) with racing games. And so on.

But if the notion was that Racing games are nowhere near meeting Shooters in online adoption, then I agree.

True, but an array of options is easily overcome with friendly default settings. Only the more hardcore players will be looking at tweaking anyway.

Yes, it just means more work, for better or for worse.

Online is the norm since most games (racing genre included) released have an online and multiplayer component. Unfortunately, those numbers don't tell how many unique users in a day any of those games has. Time zones work with hour peak rates.
And it doesn't tell how many are playing "online modes" compared to playing the game.
It's not hard to make educated guesses. 100 lobbies with 8 people in them for an average of one hour is 19,200 visits per day, with some of them being multiple visits from a single person. An average of a half hour gets you 38,400 players etc. Given that many of them are probably repeat visits from avid players, the numbers are likely much lower.

We also know that the participation rates in Seasonal events for GT5 hovered around 80-120k for most seasonals which represents from about .66 - 1% of the user base. That's total participation over the life of the Seasonal. Doesn't matter how you slice it, the numbers are nowhere near big enough to justify characterizing online as anything but a niche' part of the game and nowhere near the norm.

It's simple, race marshalls/officials/stewads analyze driver behavior to make calls.

You tail him with a late break line.
You take the inside line but you are not faster than him, and is attempting to overtake it on a small straight.
You hold the inside line at same pace but after the curve you do not leave a car space (see you positioning to the side of the track).
Four points made and every single one of them incorrect.

• Its nose to tail yes, but not as the result of a late brake (but I guess that's your psychic ability at play again).
  • At least once during the preceding straight I am ahead of him and I hit the apex first (as your own gif shows)
  • Back with the psychic powers again.
  • After the curve at least a car width is between us when he leaves the track (as your own gif shows)
a.jpg

So quite frankly you now seem to have resorted to mind reading and sheer fantasy to try and prove a point.

"All right..."

The Super GT video is a great illustration on how it's exciting to viewers but for drivers someone is always the asshole. The Eneos Lexus at ~1:23 could ask them to review the Zent Lexus line since he digs in a spot at the inside, never having a body advantage during the curve, and pushes the line outside forcing the Eneos to go off-track to avoid collision.
So you will have no problem at all citing the warnings and infractions they received.

You wanted to know the racing conduct:
No. I asked if you could cite it, I already know what it says.

Now the key bits you seem to have missed are that a maneuver needs to "hinder" another driver. Now given that I was behind him (and had no other driver directly behind me) please explain how my change of direction to the inside on the straight hindered him?

The second key point is "deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track", given that I was six foot away when he left the track that could not be described as either deliberate or crowding.

So I ask once again, which part of the sporting regulations does it fall foul of?

The Zent pushes the Eneos knowingly since he doesn't want to miss the Mercedes. It's visible. Was he flagged or punished? Probably not, interpreting all that is up to the officials and as we see at F1, "no harm, no foul" usually.

But as I said, you are not doing anything abnormal or illegal, you are just driving aggressively against the AI.
Senna was a known asshole, driving for himself and pushing others to "correct". Hamilton is similar.
I quite happily acknowledge is an aggressive move, but you are the one who was quite happy to infer it was an actionable maneuver. If that was not the case then you would not have used terms such as "
Til there officials would be "all right...", which would indicate that the part following would not be 'all alright'.

Driving like that is the norm in games. Risk aversion has to be programmed onto AIs, it's not some spontaneous reaction.
AI reaction is spontaneous, its reaction to what the driver is doing and can't know what the driver is intending to do in advance (unless its acquired your psychic abilities).

But if you say you didn't at any moment had the intention to overtake him, close the space on that line, and protect the entrance, ok. I only have the video, not your brain transcript.
I had every intention to overtake him, just not on the straight, which is exactly why I drew alongside him on the straight and of course positioned myself to take the inside line. However none of it was a sudden maneuver or change of direction that hindered the other driver, nor was crowding him off of the track (either deliberately or not).

Oh and no you don't have my 'brain transcript', which makes it all the more odd that you have spent so long repeatedly posting as if you did.

Now I have no intention of attempting to read you mind, so what I would love to know and see is how you would overtake, and given your stated criteria I don't expect to see it being on the inside line (despite that being perfectly legal), as the result of you driving alongside the car on the straight before the corner, impeding the other drivers line at all or coming within six foot of the other car once you have passed the apex.

I look forward to seeing the video soon.

Last edited:
It's not hard to make educated guesses. 100 lobbies with 8 people in them for an average of one hour is 19,200 visits per day, with some of them being multiple visits from a single person. An average of a half hour gets you 38,400 players etc. Given that many of them are probably repeat visits from avid players, the numbers are likely much lower.

We also know that the participation rates in Seasonal events for GT5 hovered around 80-120k for most seasonals which represents from about .66 - 1% of the user base. That's total participation over the life of the Seasonal. Doesn't matter how you slice it, the numbers are nowhere near big enough to justify characterizing online as anything but a niche' part of the game and nowhere near the norm.

:confused: You didn't read it fully?

Ok. Lets work with the assumption that GT5, 2 years after release and 10mi sales, has 120k unique users playing and doing an online activity.
What is its retention rate? Is 120k above or below average for games? What about racing games?
What is retention rate anyway?

Retention rate is the percentage of a school's first-time, first-year undergraduate students who continue at that school the next year. For example, a student who studies full-time in the fall semester and keeps on studying in the program in the next fall semester is counted in this rate.

It works the same for games. Developers expect that a number of people that buy their game is going to drop it after a certain period. For exemple, they'd have a nice graphic with accounts that downloaded updates.
They would know: "Hey, after 2 years, X users are still updating."

That is the general "playing the game" number. If the game communicates with a server even if you are not participating in an online activity such as the Seasonals, they would have a number of unique users monthly/weekly/daily: "Hey Y unique players turn the game on every day".

That's more representative of a game's health than units sold in terms of USER RETENTION.
And yet we have nothing that allows us to say: No the majority of players that still load the game, play only the offline portion. Or the reverse.

So even if AC sold 300k, and we can do a napkin 'educated' math of 20k unique users still accessing the game once a month, we cannot say what percentage participates in online activities such as PvPs or just sit around doing hotlaps. We don't have these metrics.
We don't know what the average user lifetime for racing genre games, and I haven't come across breakdown of feature uses.

A recent exemple of a fully online game. Star Wars BF. Sold 13mi+ copies. In a day it's peak is 50k with the hourly average at ~20k. If we draw the ceiling at every hour having different users than other, that would give us 480k unique players per day. We can go a step further in imagination and say that every day in a week sees different players. That would make 3.3mi unique players.
Of course, these numbers are far from reality.
But still on that exercise it would mean that less than 25% of people that bought the game that is exclusively online still play it.
To then 13mi+ copies is meaningful in terms of making bank, but in content deployment, server management and game environment health, it's meaningless.

While observing how games in almost every genre structured themselves to present online and multiplayer capabilities is an indicator that yes, that online presence is the normal. Multiplayer is the normal.

And again, if you say "but in the simulator racing genre!", it begs more information or a frame of reference. Which you cannot provide.

Four points made and every single one of them incorrect.
  • Its nose to tail yes, but not as the result of a late brake (but I guess that's your psychic ability at play again).
  • At least once during the preceding straight I am ahead of him and I hit the apex first (as your own gif shows)
  • Back with the psychic powers again.
  • After the curve at least a car width is between us when he leaves the track (as your own gif shows)
So quite frankly you now seem to have resorted to mind reading and sheer fantasy to try and prove a point.

1) You can switch to the AI going for an "earlier brake point" then because it's clearwhen the nose of his car dives and when you engage the brake to avoid collision.
I admit that either way (you going for a later brake than him, or him going for an earlier) I don't know which lap it was for the state of the tires or even the optimal brake point for that car.
Either way that's a close to contact situation. All right...

2) I see the moment you meant, but nope, camera angle tricked you.

frIFroW.png

Aligned at straight.

nwQ9tho.png

His rear axle slightly ahead at near entry.

tQL9cZk.jpg

Still slightly ahead at entry.

3) I suppose you are talking about the intent to overtake? There were only three phrases.

4) It's a car space in relation to the white line that determines the track and at curve exit.

yh5gPcA.jpg

6pZ1Bie.png

Even though you are still wrong, I'll repeat myself about the crux of the issue.

The BMW at Snetterton shows what users do to AIs and they have to cope with that.
At the curve start, the yellow car who is following the normal line (outside, inside, outside)

The AI seemingly understands he's ahead of you (or is not aware of you until he tries to close in) because he positions himself to take the inside towards the apex, but once he notices you he swerves back and goes off-track.

The video shows you attacking the AI from a position where you simply have no gains other than forcing him out of bounds. Since you hold your pace, you throw the decision to him of avoiding you. That's textbook scenario for complaints of AI cutting or crashing into (although in this situation he avoids without stepping of the gas).

Then he barely loses distance after his grass arc, meeting you close on his return. Which again he has to correct since you are doing your line close to the edge. I said that at this point he'd be wrong to come in at that speed, but "defensive driving" tells you to be aware of those around you at all times.
Gotta pass around that responsibility.

Players take this constant aggressive behavior because there are minimal to no risks or consequences.
That's why you can ABUSE the AI opponents.

So you will have no problem at all citing the warnings and infractions they received.

:confused:
Me
Was he flagged or punished? Probably not, interpreting all that is up to the officials

Now the key bits you seem to have missed are that a maneuver needs to "hinder" another driver. Now given that I was behind him (and had no other driver directly behind me) please explain how my change of direction to the inside on the straight hindered him?

The second key point is "deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track", given that I was six foot away when he left the track that could not be described as either deliberate or crowding.

So I ask once again, which part of the sporting regulations does it fall foul of?

I quite happily acknowledge is an aggressive move, but you are the one who was quite happy to infer it was an actionable maneuver. If that was not the case then you would not have used terms such as "
Til there officials would be "all right...", which would indicate that the part following would not be 'all alright'.

The key bits you missed are "liable to" and "such as".
Liable to hinder doesn't entail hindering, it entails the "possibility to hinder".
And "such as" denotes the exemplification. "Deliberate crowding of a car" is the exemple of a "maneuver that is liable to hinder".

I thought you spoke and read english!

And yes, keeping a line where you'll visibly not produce an advantage except if you force the action of avoiding contact to the opponent is "liable to hinder" him.

---

But perhaps you'd exit the curve faster than him... Although again, his grass arc doesn't tell the same story. But I'll be fair and say that's just funky AI tire properties.

And I was going to say that at 0:22-23 it still looked like you moved towards the track edge to block him on his return, but after much freeze-framing and finger measuring, it's the camera shake and wheel alignment that threw me off.
You just kept going straight on the outside.

AI reaction is spontaneous, its reaction to what the driver is doing and can't know what the driver is intending to do in advance (unless its acquired your psychic abilities).

??? :lol:
First "AI reaction" is not spontaneous, it's deterministic and it follows a cascade of decision processes and hierarchies/priorities.
It can be "emergent", but still follows the same principle in general. That's why they are so expensive to compute, and games have rather simple decision making processes.

But still that misses what I wrote by a mile.

Risk aversion has to be programmed onto AIs, IT's not some spontaneous reaction.

The same above follows though.
A basic made up exemple of a priority list and decision cascade.
Priority order: 1) Keep line 2) Keep speed 3) Avoid contact 4) Stay inbound.

He'd go: Can I keep in line? Yes? No?
If yes, Can I keep speed? Yes? No?
If no, returns to "keep in line?"
If no, "Can I keep speed?"
If yes "Can I avoid contact?"

And so on in the space-time point he has to take that decision til it breaks the chain.
You can write something that will heavily prioritize "Avoid Contact" and then the following action will always take the measure to Avoid Contact.

That's why Risk Aversion is not spontaneous, this process is established by the programmer.
But you probably knew that, right?

Now I have no intention of attempting to read you mind, so what I would love to know and see is how you would overtake, and given your stated criteria I don't expect to see it being on the inside line (despite that being perfectly legal), as the result of you driving alongside the car on the straight before the corner, impeding the other drivers line at all or coming within six foot of the other car once you have passed the apex.

I look forward to seeing the video soon.

I'd likely just try to do a faster line on the outside since the big straight (where acceleration can produce ground gain...) is right after the curve you took the inside with a softer curve following that AIs tend to blip brake.
But I'm not little Senna, I'm just little Rubinho.

1) You can switch to the AI going for an "earlier brake point" then because it's clearwhen the nose of his car dives and when you engage the brake to avoid collision.
I admit that either way (you going for a later brake than him, or him going for an earlier) I don't know which lap it was for the state of the tires or even the optimal brake point for that car.
Either way that's a close to contact situation. All right...
So nothing at all like your claim of near ramming then.

2) I see the moment you meant, but nope, camera angle tricked you.
No, your selectively posting what you want.
28-04-2016 12-59-25.jpg

3) I suppose you are talking about the intent to overtake? There were only three phrases.
Mind reading again.

4) It's a car space in relation to the white line that determines the track and at curve exit.
Now aside from those two images being taken a quite different times and as such show quite different things, the distance between the two cars at the point the AI car left the track is a good six foot

The AI seemingly understands he's ahead of you (or is not aware of you until he tries to close in) because he positions himself to take the inside towards the apex, but once he notices you he swerves back and goes off-track.

The video shows you attacking the AI from a position where you simply have no gains other than forcing him out of bounds. Since you hold your pace, you throw the decision to him of avoiding you. That's textbook scenario for complaints of AI cutting or crashing into (although in this situation he avoids without stepping of the gas).
Nonsense, going off the track is not the only possible outcome of that at all.

Then he barely loses distance after his grass arc, meeting you close on his return. Which again he has to correct since you are doing your line close to the edge. I said that at this point he'd be wrong to come in at that speed, but "defensive driving" tells you to be aware of those around you at all times.
Gotta pass around that responsibility.
No you don't. The rulebook is quite clear on this, the driver rejoining the track is the one responsible for doing so safely.

Players take this constant aggressive behavior because there are minimal to no risks or consequences.
That's why you can ABUSE the AI opponents.
Did shouting help you feel better?

The key bits you missed are "liable to" and "such as".
Liable to hinder doesn't entail hindering, it entails the "possibility to hinder".
And "such as" denotes the exemplification. "Deliberate crowding of a car" is the exemple of a "maneuver that is liable to hinder".

And yes, keeping a line where you'll visibly not produce an advantage except if you force the action of avoiding contact to the opponent is "liable to hinder" him.
And how was I liable to hinder him by changing position behind him, or driving alongside him or allowing him room after the apex?

The only point you could argue that is at the apex, and as I have already said if I had dived down on a late brake from a car length or more behind you might have a point, but that wasn't the case. Using your definition just about every overtaking maneuver would be looked at by the stewards.

Unsurprisingly they are not and its a maneuver that is so important to the drivers tool kit that both the manual of the Skip Barber racing school and Speed Secrets (two respected titles on racecraft) both covers it as such.

But perhaps you'd exit the curve faster than him... Although again, his grass arc doesn't tell the same story. But I'll be fair and say that's just funky AI tire properties.

And I was going to say that at 0:22-23 it still looked like you moved towards the track edge to block him on his return, but after much freeze-framing and finger measuring, it's the camera shake and wheel alignment that threw me off.
You just kept going straight on the outside.
I know, I said that from the start, but your faith in your own mind reading resulted in you refusing to accept any other possibility.

??? :lol:
First "AI reaction" is not spontaneous, it's deterministic and it follows a cascade of decision processes and hierarchies/priorities.
It can be "emergent", but still follows the same principle in general. That's why they are so expensive to compute, and games have rather simple decision making processes.

But still that misses what I wrote by a mile.

The same above follows though.
A basic made up exemple of a priority list and decision cascade.
Priority order: 1) Keep line 2) Keep speed 3) Avoid contact 4) Stay inbound.

He'd go: Can I keep in line? Yes? No?
If yes, Can I keep speed? Yes? No?
If no, returns to "keep in line?"
If no, "Can I keep speed?"
If yes "Can I avoid contact?"

And so on in the space-time point he has to take that decision til it breaks the chain.
You can write something that will heavily prioritize "Avoid Contact" and then the following action will always take the measure to Avoid Contact.

That's why Risk Aversion is not spontaneous, this process is established by the programmer.
But you probably knew that, right?
And what I meant by that is the AI action wasn't predetermined in advance, but followed a set of action responses that were based on the circumstances of the interaction.

But you probably knew that.

I'd likely just try to do a faster line on the outside since the big straight (where acceleration can produce ground gain...) is right after the curve you took the inside with a softer curve following that AIs tend to blip brake.
But I'm not little Senna, I'm just little Rubinho.
And how would you take a faster line on the outside when that would have required driving through the AI car. The line the AI had been taking through that corner for the previous laps was to stay on the outside for the majority of that small straight, had you waited until they turned in try and go around the outside you would never make the corner, nor given that the cars were identical would you have had the speed to do so. Which is exactly why I made a move up the inside from the start of that small straight, but what would I know I'd was only the one in the race.

If I had wanted to ABUSE the AI by forcing them off track in order to pass I would have done it either entering the S bend (at 0:06) or at the Apex of the S bend (at 0:09). You can even see quite clearly at 0:04 that I looked to see if room was possible at the entrance to the S-bend and backed out, had I only been interested in ABUSING the AI (isn't shouting that fun) I would have done it at either of these points.

I must confess that I am beginning to wonder what sims you actually play if you consider a move around the outside viable in identical cars?

Oh and baby Rubinho, if you want to drive like him you would do the same.

I thought you spoke and read english!

Because he asked darling.

I see the two warnings about your attitude and behavior you have previously received has had no effect, may be a few days off will help.

Last edited:

It would seem you have little experience racing against real people. This is why drivers go for the inside line, and squeeze other drivers in real life as well. It's a valid racing tactic, and forces your opponent to respond at his own risk with very little risk to you. Managing space on the track within the confines of the rules is what wheel to wheel racing is all about.

The same tactics can and should be used against good AI.

There is a term in gaming to describe the group of gamers who find such valid tactics to be "dirty" or "unfair". I'm not going to use it because it's generally considered to be derogatory, and that's not the point. The point is that if you're trying to win then you can do everything within the rules to win. Putting additional self-imposed rules in the way like "don't run up the inside if you see the chance" and "don't squeeze you opponent wide on exit" is simply a way to make excuses for yourself being the "better man" when you lose.

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw/

A book on playing to win, written about fighting games but it applies to any competitive game equally. It's a good read for anyone who wants to take their racing (or gaming) seriously and get better at it.

This is what I want for GT7

Tracks

Amalfi Coast
Città di Aria
El Capitan
Paris

Those from GT4 were great, it's a shame they never bring em back to GT5 and 6, I really don't care about racetracks. If there are SPA, Monza and Nurburgring is enough for me.

New Manufacturers

We really need these in Gran Turismo

Saab
De Tomaso
(it doesn't exist anymore but hey.. I want the Pantera so bad)
Skoda
Porsche

That would be fair

Improved classic Manufacturers

BMW. E30 and E36 at first. Legends of racing never been in GT. 830, Z1 and classic CSL would be nice too
Alfa Romeo 75, GTV and 164 are necessary
Lancia Delta and Stratos and... nothing else? Lancia Montecarlo, 037 and Fulvia. NOW!
Jaguar All new models, Jaguar isn't only 4-5 cars
Maserati One model? Seriously? Where's the Biturbo?
Volkswagen Who the **** wants those World War 2 cars if there's no Golf 2, Passat, Corrado ecc.. c'mon

A little bit of poetry.
I know it's just a game but I like "mysterious atmosphere". The f458 Italia trailer or this video for example :

It's very 90's. To day, it's pop rock, electro everywhere. Fifa soundtrack is good but ordinary. While Ridge Racer Type 4 OST is unforgettable.
And please, don't say me that Spotify do the job.

I've just realised what GT7 needs to be (or at least in my eyes), after hooking up my trusty old 360 and playing Forza 4 for 3 hours straight with a regular controller.
I was genuinely blown away by how well this game still stacks up, even after i've gotten accustomed to play Project Cars on my PS4/T300RS combo.
In my mind GT7 needs to be just that: a good softcore sim that you can play with your DS4 with out crashing every 5 minutes, while still being somewhat competitive.

We already have Project Cars and Assetto Corsa is not far away, surely we don't need another hardcore sim on the PS4? I hope it will be leaning more towards Forza 4, where you can drift your car pretty effortlessly and play "on autopilot" and less towards Project Cars, where (in some cars at least) you need to be 100% focused all the time, otherwise you'll easily spin or crash.

At this point, someone is properly thinking "why don't you just go and play Driveclub?". Well i have and i never really liked it all that much. Sure the graphics are nice, but the handling model is, in my mind, just terrible and it's not like i can tell you why i think that - there is just something i don't like about it. And the customisation is about as bad as it can possibly be.

Needless to say i have founded new love for Forza 4 and i hope that GT7 will be that kind of game. Sure, it's not the most realistic racing game and the engine sounds are a bit over the top, but it is just such a nice package for a car guy like me to sit back on my couch and casually enjoy without having to move the coffee table and setting up my wheel rig.

So nothing at all like your claim of near ramming then.

Understandable but no, just lacking categorisation.

No, your selectively posting what you want.

A6n7HcR.gif

Mind reading again.
qWES36G.png

Now aside from those two images being taken a quite different times and as such show quite different things, the distance between the two cars at the point the AI car left the track is a good six foot

Nonsense, going off the track is not the only possible outcome of that at all.

It shows the distance to the track side.

No you don't. The rulebook is quite clear on this, the driver rejoining the track is the one responsible for doing so safely.

I'm sure Speed Secrets and Skip Barber mention something about awareness and defensive driving? I did not say it was against any rules.

Did shouting help you feel better?

It would be funny if it was shouting, but it was just an emphasis tool.

And how would you take a faster line on the outside when that would have required driving through the AI car. The line the AI had been taking through that corner for the previous laps was to stay on the outside for the majority of that small straight, had you waited until they turned in try and go around the outside you would never make the corner, nor given that the cars were identical would you have had the speed to do so. Which is exactly why I made a move up the inside from the start of that small straight, but what would I know I'd was only the one in the race.

If I had wanted to ABUSE the AI by forcing them off track in order to pass I would have done it either entering the S bend (at 0:06) or at the Apex of the S bend (at 0:09). You can even see quite clearly at 0:04 that I looked to see if room was possible at the entrance to the S-bend and backed out, had I only been interested in ABUSING the AI (isn't shouting that fun) I would have done it at either of these points.

I must confess that I am beginning to wonder what sims you actually play if you consider a move around the outside viable in identical cars?

:confused::confused::confused:

mgSwUEZ.png

Oh and baby Rubinho, if you want to drive like him you would do the same.

The same what to be more precise?

1) Rubinho is faster.
2) Trulli is seemingly fighting his car, in two situations he goes wide away from the apex line and breaks too much (one Rubens almost rams him.)
3) He commits a mistake (probably car didn't help) by going wide on an early apex corner, not blocking the ideal line.
4) Rubinho is faster and profits.

It would seem you have little experience racing against real people. This is why drivers go for the inside line, and squeeze other drivers in real life as well. It's a valid racing tactic, and forces your opponent to respond at his own risk with very little risk to you. Managing space on the track within the confines of the rules is what wheel to wheel racing is all about.

The same tactics can and should be used against good AI.

There is a term in gaming to describe the group of gamers who find such valid tactics to be "dirty" or "unfair". I'm not going to use it because it's generally considered to be derogatory, and that's not the point. The point is that if you're trying to win then you can do everything within the rules to win. Putting additional self-imposed rules in the way like "don't run up the inside if you see the chance" and "don't squeeze you opponent wide on exit" is simply a way to make excuses for yourself being the "better man" when you lose.

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw/

A book on playing to win, written about fighting games but it applies to any competitive game equally. It's a good read for anyone who wants to take their racing (or gaming) seriously and get better at it.

:eek:

LM91rsH.png

Tell me more about that derogatory term though. Is it noob, whiner, chicken? Made me curious!

It seems that you always like to have the last word.

:cheers:

Understandable but no, just lacking categorisation.
No, its not ramming or near ramming. Never was.

Cool, only problem is that its still using the image you selectively picked to prove a point. Now do it with the image I used, which shows the two cars side on and mine ahead.

Great, still doesn't change the fact that I had no intention of overtaking on that straight.

It shows the distance to the track side.
From what? My cats?

Are you actually trying to argue that its possible to crowd a car off the track when you six foot away from it based on something being near the track side? If so your going to have to say what that 'something' is.

I'm sure Speed Secrets and Skip Barber mention something about awareness and defensive driving? I did not say it was against any rules.
They both do, however none of it makes my pass dangerous or worthy of insults. Oh and as far as being against the rules, I have already covered this (and you didn't actually answer)....

"I quite happily acknowledge is an aggressive move, but you are the one who was quite happy to infer it was an actionable maneuver. If that was not the case then you would not have used terms such as "
Til there officials would be "all right...", which would indicate that the part following would not be 'all alright'. "

It would be funny if it was shouting, but it was just an emphasis tool.
You were shouting for emphasis. OK.

If you want to put emphasis point use bold or italics, don't use UPPER CASE as its commonly accepted to be SHOUTING on the internet.

:confused::confused::confused:

mgSwUEZ.png

The same what to be more precise?

1) Rubinho is faster.
2) Trulli is seemingly fighting his car, in two situations he goes wide away from the apex line and breaks too much (one Rubens almost rams him.)
3) He commits a mistake (probably car didn't help) by going wide on an early apex corner, not blocking the ideal line.
4) Rubinho is faster and profits.
None of which changes the fact that he suddenly maneuvered behind the car in front, nearly rammed him (by your definition), passed on the inside and closed the line after the apex.

He did exactly the kind of things you have taken issue at others doing, but don't worry the rather large bias based on who is explains what you see quite clearly.

Carry on with the insults and attacks and you will find that's not the case.

No, its not ramming or near ramming. Never was.

Ok.

Cool, only problem is that its still using the image you selectively picked to prove a point. Now do it with the image I used, which shows the two cars side on and mine ahead.

1) That's the image you used before you edited. C'mon.
2) The new image you picked is 200ms between my two "cherry-picked" frames.
3) I can do that for it too.

Great, still doesn't change the fact that I had no intention of overtaking on that straight.

Ok.

From what? My cats?

The vroom-vrooms.

They both do, however none of it makes my pass dangerous or worthy of insults. Oh and as far as being against the rules, I have already covered this (and you didn't actually answer)....

"I quite happily acknowledge is an aggressive move, but you are the one who was quite happy to infer it was an actionable maneuver. If that was not the case then you would not have used terms such as "
Til there officials would be "all right...", which would indicate that the part following would not be 'all alright'. "

Ok.

You were shouting for emphasis. OK.

[mind reading pun]

None of which changes the fact that he suddenly maneuvered behind the car in front, nearly rammed him (by your definition), passed on the inside and closed the line after the apex.

He did exactly the kind of things you have taken issue at others doing, but don't worry the rather large bias based on who is explains what you see quite clearly.

Still no.
Trulli is slower. The almost ram on the first-ish corner is because Trulli overbrakes and Rubinho is following in line so he has to dodge.
And at the overtake, Trulli misses the line and overbrakes again. Rubinho adjusts because Trulli tire is on the way, but Rubinho was coming from the middle and he doesn't need to late brake or anything, he takes the line as he would since Trulli ate ball.

Rubinho is pressuring, but capitalizing on a flagrant mistake is not something easy to consider as constant aggressive driving.

Carry on with the insults and attacks and you will find that's not the case.

:(

1) That's the image you used before you edited. C'mon.
2) The new image you picked is 200ms between my two "cherry-picked" frames.
3) I can do that for it too.
I'm sorry, am I not allowed to chose the image I think best illustrates that I'm ahead at a point on the straight?

The vroom-vrooms.
Mine? His? Both?

His is on the white line about to leave the track, mine is a good six foot away at that point. Explain how a car six foot away is capable of crowding a car off the track.

[mind reading pun]
Not at all. As I quite clearly said all Caps is the convention for shouting on the web, if you want emphasis use bold or italics (you know like you did in the very next quote).

Still no.
Trulli is slower.
And?

The almost ram on the first-ish corner is because Trulli overbrakes and Rubinho is following in line so he has to dodge.
Something you were happy to condemn me for.

And at the overtake, Trulli misses the line and overbrakes again. Rubinho adjusts because Trulli tire is on the way, but Rubinho was coming from the middle and he doesn't need to late brake or anything, he takes the line as he would since Trulli ate ball.
And? He attacks from well behind and overtakes on the inside, taking the line and then shutting the door quite firmly as soon as he apexs (far sooner than I did).

Rubinho is pressuring, but capitalizing on a flagrant mistake is not something easy to consider as constant aggressive driving.
I applied pressure and got the inside line, the AI car made a mistake by attempting to come back across and knowing it would cause an accident over correcting and allowing me to pass on the inside, at which point I allowed far more room on exit that need be (by Rubinho's standard).

You will never find two identical cornering incidents, but these are not as far apart as you seem to think.

Nor is this one...

.....this one from the same race is nothing like it, given that its a clear last brake pass that requires him to go off track to make the pass, that's certainly not respecting the line that you describe as so critical to not be comsidered a 🤬 driver.....

....however by your definition both these would be 'bad'

I can keep going, I'm sure you will find excuses for all of them, but what is clear I think to most people is that your idea of what is a fair pass and the majority (and it would seem also the driver you hod up as an example) don't agree (given that every racing driver ever has used it as a method to pass).

You don't want to do it when you drive, then that's fine for you, but don't dismiss it as valid when its neither an illegal pass or uncommon.

Now out of interest what sims do you run?

Your actions, your consequences.

Last edited:
Back