What's Hideous, Weighs 15 Pounds and Can Support a London Bus? F1's New Halo

It's amazing to hear the venom spat at the F1 halos, and yet in Indycar, they just got finished testing their deflectors at the Phoenix test, and most of the response, both from fan and drivers, is positive.

DVjLzsGVQAAsxSj.jpg

I personally think the above here would provide a better deflection for normal objects and better than the HALO. Which could be worse for smaller objects impacting the driver.

Can we please just get off the topic of irrelevant stuff like driver injuries and driver safety, and focus on the most important thing (as judged by the article headline).. it's looks!
To that, I would say, "F1 got it wrong, FormulaE got it right". Thread closed. :sly:

How long have F1 been active? How much more data and time do they need to develop this? I'm sure it's been brought up for many years.
Even if drivers are against it, I'm sure some eggheads have designs and theories to how drivers would be extracted. I have no proof of any of that, but with all the money poured into R&D over the years, it'd be a shame if they have not one simulation of a closed cockpit F1 car.

I don’t understand the basis of you’re question?

F1 has been active since before the war?
Drivers were against Jackie Stewart when he tried to make F1 non-leathal... why bring that up?

I agree it’s a shame that more time and money wasn’t put into a more elegant and complete solution, similar to the one Indy Car tested.

If you go back only a couple of years the number of people opposed to closing the cockpit of F1 cars was huge, now it seems more of an accepted inevitably, but that’s only because of things like Halo being forced.

Personally I’d rather have F1 open, but safe and keep closed lids to endurance GT racing.

If you can't defend the halo without wishing for a crash, you're — possibly intentionally — missing the point.

Cant discuss a SAFETY device without discussing the potential of seeing it in action, makes perfect sense...

What I'm trying to say is that the sooner the halo proves itself, the better. It is surrounded by people looking at the what, not the why, and therefore discussions about it degenerate into useless insult matches as soon as it is mentioned. When the halo proves itself, this will all stop and everyone will finally shut up about it.

If I'm not allowed to defend the halo because it's against the AUP, then the AUP needs tweaking.

That's F1 in general really, there is plenty to piss and moan about, but why would they talk about then when they can continue steady popular tropes/arguments of F1. Though I guess you can't really blame people, the series on the outside is to be somewhat look and act superficial so as such, people complain about superficial things from said series.

I don’t understand the basis of you’re question?

F1 has been active since before the war?
Drivers were against Jackie Stewart when he tried to make F1 non-leathal... why bring that up?

I agree it’s a shame that more time and money wasn’t put into a more elegant and complete solution, similar to the one Indy Car tested.

If you go back only a couple of years the number of people opposed to closing the cockpit of F1 cars was huge, now it seems more of an accepted inevitably, but that’s only because of things like Halo being forced.

Personally I’d rather have F1 open, but safe and keep closed lids to endurance GT racing.
From your post, you typed, "Takes time to develop...". That's what I based my rhetorical questions on.
Its been nearly 60 years since F1 cars started safety for drivers. Now, how much more time does F1 need to develop a closed cockpit F1 car?

If this design kept being worked on, I'm sure it would come out prettier than the halo.
images

From your post, you typed, "Takes time to develop...". That's what I based my rhetorical questions on.
Its been nearly 60 years since F1 cars started safety for drivers. Now, how much more time does F1 need to develop a closed cockpit F1 car?

If this design kept being worked on, I'm sure it would come out prettier than the halo.
images
I personally think the above here would provide a better deflection for normal objects and better than the HALO. Which could be worse for smaller objects impacting the driver.

It would, and this has been talked about at length on the forums before

The above by @05XR8 is one of those examples talked at length on the F1 tech threads, the other
043-017_SAFE_WINDSCREEN.jpg

Now the one I posted is the solution "tested" last year, and is still in development. The RBR one is supposedly in development but couldn't actually do all the requirements needed and thus wasn't picked by the FIA. Though they said that in the long run the shield or RBR solutions are probably going to be better but need further work.

Cant discuss a SAFETY device without discussing the potential of seeing it in action, makes perfect sense...
Compare:
I really hope that in the first race of the season, there is a crash where a wheel or something bounces off the halo and saves a driver's life
with:
I really hope that in the first race of the season, if there is a crash where a wheel or something bounces off the halo, it saves a driver's life
No-one should hope for a crash - and it's been part of this subforum's specific rules for over a decade, so it shouldn't even be a discussion at this point - even one that may prove them right.

Hoping that, if there is a crash, the safety aids do their job... well, I think everyone hopes that... right?

Best case scenario is that the halo - like anything else - is never needed. Second best is that it does its job if it is.

images
Yeah I agree with you. In fact I’m personally of the opinion that the FIA rushed through development of the Halo to help prevent lawsuits like the ones the family of Jules put forward.
With Halo they can prove they are doing everything they can to make sure drivers are safe.

Personally I think it’ll take another decade before F1 can find a fully closed solution and I’m not even sure that would actually be in the best interest of the sport. But I agree the screen Indy tested IS what should be worked on rather than the Halo.

It would, and this has been talked about at length on the forums before

The above by @05XR8 is one of those examples talked at length on the F1 tech threads, the other
043-017_SAFE_WINDSCREEN.jpg

Now the one I posted is the solution "tested" last year, and is still in development. The RBR one is supposedly in development but couldn't actually do all the requirements needed and thus wasn't picked by the FIA. Though they said that in the long run the shield or RBR solutions are probably going to be better but need further work.
I really love the one where the slope continues from the nose, and I hope it is the eventual evolution of these cars. So damn sleek!

I wonder what F1 will say, do and knee-jerk if there is a freak accident, like Massa catching that spring with his face, while the halo is there in all its glorious ugliness.

Dunno what the fuss is about. Compared to the horrible penis noses that all F1 cars of the last years had, the halo is a thing of sheer beauty and elegance.

I wonder what F1 will say, do and knee-jerk if there is a freak accident, like Massa catching that spring with his face, while the halo is there in all its glorious ugliness.

Point fingers at anyone and anything but themselves.

I'm admittedly pretty dumb when it comes to all things F1. But since I'm catching up on articles from the past couple of days, this one got me thinking. Why are F1 cars open cockpit in the first place? Or really any racecar for that matter? If safety is one of the top concerns (as it should be), in my opinion having closed cockpits makes more sense if only for protection from flying debris in the event of a crash.

It doesn't look nice, but if it can save a drivers life I'm all for it.
We don't want another accident similar to Jules Bianchi's in the Japanese Grand prix 2014.

It doesn't look nice, but if it can save a drivers life I'm all for it.
We don't want another accident similar to Jules Bianchi's in the Japanese Grand prix 2014.

The HALO is meant to protect the driver from being crushed when it goes under another car or whatever there may be on the track, i am not sure the Plexiglass would do that? It is a (late) reaction to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Bianchi death.

Regarding the mostly very well written board rules you will have to take a look and do some rewrites and change some of wordings or you could be in trouble. http://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/policies/data-protection-reform/

That particular issue was FIXED by the virtual Safety car.

I really love the one where the slope continues from the nose, and I hope it is the eventual evolution of these cars. So damn sleek!
As much as I hate the halo - but there's a problem with visibility through those elongated wind deflector shields. As far as I remember, even the RBR shield had that problem, which is why many drivers didn't favor the solution.

I've not been paying attention to motorsports as much these days, so forgive my ignorance. What event has transpired to mandate these things in the first place? Because it would not have saved the life of Jules Bianchi. I have a feeling this is just a "feel good" workaround for visibility and not a practical solution to any problem.

I've not been paying attention to motorsports as much these days, so forgive my ignorance. What event has transpired to mandate these things in the first place? Because it would not have saved the life of Jules Bianchi. I have a feeling this is just a "feel good" workaround for visibility and not a practical solution to any problem.
Bianchi's accident was the catalyst, and eventually prompted a promise that there would be a safety feature in place in time for this season. Not having anything would have resulted in both the FIA and Formula 1 getting lambasted by the press for not meeting their self-imposed deadline. It's clearly a stopgap and not the answer they needed, but it's one that'll at least keep the more bombastic pundits from trying to pin them with a disinterest in driver safety.

For example in senna death accident if he had the halo it would be dead the same cause the halo wouldnt be able to stop the piece of suspension that hit his head causing his death the windshield instead would had probably saved him defleting the deadly debris away
we must consider that the the indy windshield is made of the same material of jetfighters canopy so it is really strong and has the right anglle and repellant film on it to clean itself from raindrops without the need of wipers

Halo looks uglier and it is less safe than a proper windshield
Pity FormulaE choose the halo instead of the windshield. That futuristic looking cars could look even more amazing witha proper winshield instead that ugly thing called halo

my2cents

Back