What's Hideous, Weighs 15 Pounds and Can Support a London Bus? F1's New Halo

What I don't understand is why this windshield stuff is considered news.

Back in the mid/late 90's some indy cars(and some F1 cars also) had wind deflectors on them and then for reasons unknown by me everybody stopped using them. Now that danger has happened these racing organizations are going back to these designs and everybody thinks it is something new to safety. It's not new and really, it is common sense to have.

My dad always had a rock deflector on his sprint car when he as racing back in the 80's and 90's and when I grew up I wanted to race Indy cars and even I knew that if I was ever so lucky that I would not drive the car without a good piece of hard clear plastic protecting my head from the wind and possible debris.

It is all just interesting.

The Halo is an ugly solution that can't save lives at all scenarios. It also reduces safety by increasing the driver extraction time. The only example we see is the flying tyre! What about debris and the small sharp objects like the "Massa" incident ? My opinion is that this decision was rushed to introduce, and they should spent more time to develop the "Aeroscreen or the Shield" and introduce it in 2019.

So its no longer possible for a F1 car to crash and end up underneath another vehicle or object? No? Then I'm still all for it ;)
The point is the virtual safety car was introduced because drivers did not slow down properly under yellow flags.

There won't be any course vehicles to go under if there isn't a yellow.

This device is for cars that point the wrong way and another car rides up its nose (Schumacher) or to stop a tyre hitting the driver - they have wheel tethers for that.

What happens if the car ends up upside down? How the 🤬 does the driver get out in a hurry?

Formula cars are not designed to be enclosed. If they want to actually do something to protect the driver they'd have to reinvent the formula around a closed concept. We already have one. It's called LMP1.

What happens if the car ends up upside down? How the 🤬 does the driver get out in a hurry?

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/131095/six-key-myths-about-f1-halo-device-busted

Alonso's accident in the 2016 Australian GP is cited as one where a driver could have been trapped by the halo.

Mekies points out that marshals are trained to right any upside down car but says the FIA still tested the halo in upside-down scenarios.

It conducted a simple test with a dummy chassis, with its own safety expert Andy Mellor strapped in.

When the chassis was tipped upside down, the halo kept the front of the chassis higher off the ground than it would normally be and Mellor had no trouble getting himself out. Drivers have been shown a video of that test.

"It is actually preserving a better space for drivers," says Mekies, "because the car is resting on the front part of the halo, offering more space than they currently have compared to the ground.

"It's basically raising up the car compared to where it would be without it."

The point is the virtual safety car was introduced because drivers did not slow down properly under yellow flags.

There won't be any course vehicles to go under if there isn't a yellow.

This device is for cars that point the wrong way and another car rides up its nose (Schumacher) or to stop a tyre hitting the driver - they have wheel tethers for that.

Formula cars are not designed to be enclosed. If they want to actually do something to protect the driver they'd have to reinvent the formula around a closed concept. We already have one. It's called LMP1.

I get your point on the virtual safety car, but I think its a little naive to assume that accidents similar to my example never will happen.
Note the word "similar", not "exactly like".
What if the car ends up upside down...
What if a driver during an accident breaks his arms and can't release his seat belt? It is entirely possible, so ban seat belts?
I think more times than not, as with seat belts, the halo will protect the driver. So I'm still for it.

I respect your opinion, I just don't agreed with you.
And that's ok, don't you think? ;)

Just come across this image (from here) of Jack Brabham in 1967:

icwu9i7lhyg01.jpg

Tested but never raced as far as I know.

Proof if proof were needed of the state of F1. Get a pair of thongs and put them over your head and that is what a driver must see. I see however absolutely no issue whatsoever with the more tried and tested windscreen. But no, F1 had to be different. Had to be innovative.

F1 is like a bad relationship but with a gorgeous woman. Can't live with her and can't live without her.

To be brutally honest, i really hope that in the first race of the season, there is a crash where a wheel or something bounces off the halo and saves a driver's life, so everyone can shut up about "ooh, the halo is disgusting, get it off *cry* *cry* *cry*".

Or how about some debris passes by the tiny protection in the front and hit a driver in the head?

It's amazing to hear the venom spat at the F1 halos, and yet in Indycar, they just got finished testing their deflectors at the Phoenix test, and most of the response, both from fan and drivers, is positive.

DVjLzsGVQAAsxSj.jpg

It´s a bit different, this thing actually looks decent and not some massive steel bar monstrosity

Last edited by a moderator:
Or how about some debris passes by the tiny protection in the front and hit a driver in the head?
The halo is designed to stop fatal accidents. Wheels and Nosecones killed Surtees and Wilson, but the suspension that hit Massa only injured him. The halo is 100% not the best solution, but in terms of stopping fatal accidents, it is the best current technology.

I dislike the halo like the rest of you, but I have come to accept that it is on the cars because there's nothing we can do to change that. The new cars this year are looking great, and the season itself could be incredible.

Put it this way. I'd rather we had Halos on all cars and them never be needed, than not have them and have an accident where they are required. There are too many stupid comments going around at the moment and it's been tiring from day 1. Get over it.

but in terms of stopping fatal accidents, it is the best current technology.

Eh, I'd like to put more faith in mankind than that, I'm sure a metal pole isn't the best they could come up with in this day and age.

I can almost imagine a Futurama episode with Bender being given the duty to make motorsport safer, so he spends 5 seconds bending a couple of poles and sticks them over the cockpit "There ya go, meatbags, you're safe, now where are the hookers?"

metal pole
disapproving_look.jpg

This is the issue with the Halo. Everyone is completely blind to what it is, what it's about and it's almost like people can't be bothered to ever understand why something is happening. It is a strong carbon fibre shape designed to deflect away objects which have been proven to be fatal to drivers. It is there because it has been shown that it can save lives, and a device which can save 1 life is surely justification enough.

GET OVER IT

Jim, lad, I was being facetious. I have nothing to get over, you seem to have your own feathers ruffled.

Also I was unaware titanium was no longer classed as a metal. ;)

The 'crotch' part of the halo would be the perfect location for a rear view camera screen so that drivers can see whats behind them without having to turn and look at the tiny mirrors.

Eh, I'd like to put more faith in mankind than that, I'm sure a metal pole isn't the best they could come up with in this day and age.

And yet that's exactly what the F1 "crash structures" are comprised of already.

It doesn't help much against that but then I don't think anybody's said it would. The "fix" for that would be a clear screen - we've already seen full-strength versions of those tested and the results were horrible to look through.

As @Jimlaad43 points out this this the best currently available option. I'd go further and point out (as I have time and time again) that if a device is available which can save lives in repeats of scenarios which we've already seen occur then there's a massive liability issue for sports that don't use them. That's particularly true of places like Italy and the US, I'd imagine.

The halo is designed to stop fatal accidents. Wheels and Nosecones killed Surtees and Wilson, but the suspension that hit Massa only injured him. The halo is 100% not the best solution, but in terms of stopping fatal accidents, it is the best current technology.

I dislike the halo like the rest of you, but I have come to accept that it is on the cars because there's nothing we can do to change that. The new cars this year are looking great, and the season itself could be incredible.

Put it this way. I'd rather we had Halos on all cars and them never be needed, than not have them and have an accident where they are required. There are too many stupid comments going around at the moment and it's been tiring from day 1. Get over it.

I'm sorry but explain this... The FIA originally said the Halo was a stupid decision. Even AFTER Bianchi died. However, when Jules's family brought forth lawsuits, the FIA decided to push it through to avoid millions of dollars being taken away. Also, 18 of 20 F1 drivers said no to the Halo... Massa said the Halo would have made the spring bounce down and penetrate his chest which would have been a fatality. So his clip doesn't count.

Wheels do NOT bounce down tracks anymore as there are tethers. Webber was uninjured in his crash so why did he need a halo? Jules Bianchi was proven that the Halo would have torn off during impact with tractor. Henry Surtees wouldn't die today as wheels don't fall apart from cars anymore thanks to tethers. Justin Wilson's teammate and rest of field still say NO to the Halo

Wow, the ignorance in that comment above doesn't even deserve a response. If presenting actual evidence doesn't work, then you're not worth my time any more.

Wow, the ignorance in that comment above doesn't even deserve a response. If presenting actual evidence doesn't work, then you're not worth my time any more.
Says the person who posted this?

To be brutally honest, i really hope that in the first race of the season, there is a crash where a wheel or something bounces off the halo and saves a driver's life, so everyone can shut up about "ooh, the halo is disgusting, get it off *cry* *cry* *cry*".

That is truly repulsive. 👎

Wheels do NOT bounce down tracks anymore as there are tethers.

The wheels aren't tethered, the hubs are. In accidents/failures/errors where a wheel is detached from the hub they still bounce down tracks and we can still see it.

What other way can people make their displeasure at the halo known other than consistently talking about it? In order to affect change you must let those in power know about it.

It's a false syllogism to suggest that those who dislike the halo want dangerous accidents and are happy to endorse a driver being hit in the head with a wheel or are content that F1 is "safe enough". I do think the halo is ugly, obstructive, potentially dangerous and not the best solution to a problem which does not require it. And you're welcome to disagree.

Incidentally, I've been reading with interest about the perspex windscreen currently being trialled and tested by IndyCar. It's far more aesthetically pleasing and offers much of the same touted benefits of the halo. If I was to choose to invest research in one or the other, I would go for the windscreen. We shall wait and see if and when IndyCar gives it the green light and we shall wait and see what impact the halo has on racing situations.

What I find even more annoying than the ugliness of the halo is that people think it will prevent a Bianchi style death. That tiny pole will do diddly squat when an f1 car goes slipping at high speed into a heavy stationary object. The only thing stoppig that sort of accident is drivers adhering the rules which he didn't and now we have a smart solution called a virtual safety car, and a hideous contraption on the cars.

Back