What's the Fastest Street Car in the World? A Mid-Size Nissan SUV!

Fastest street car at this particular event this year.
It straight up beat the Agera RS, which holds the production car world records for 0-400km/h (0-249mph), 0-400-0 and the flying mile. I think that's a pretty solid basis to claim it's the fastest street car (although SVM only claims the SUV title).

There's a video coming too... In the meantime, here's the old, 1,500hp one:

238Mph in a mile is very impressive. Needs to come stateside and tackle our Texas Mile or some of our 1/2 Mile events.

238Mph in a mile is very impressive. Needs to come stateside and tackle our Texas Mile or some of our 1/2 Mile events.

Isn't there a TT Ford GT approaching 300mph in the standing mile? Some truly ridiculous stuff in these runway events.

It straight up beat the Agera RS, which holds the production car world records for 0-400km/h (0-249mph), 0-400-0 and the flying mile. I think that's a pretty solid basis to claim it's the fastest street car (although SVM only claims the SUV title).

There's a video coming too... In the meantime, here's the old, 1,500hp one:

Well then I'm just confused about that last sentence in the article, I guess...

Look, I can't fight that it's undeniably impressive in a brutal way, but I just lose sense with all the back and forth of claims that are very much fluid and conditional and always changing. These are the fastest street cars in the world, but I will never think of one single car holding any meaningful title. I just love that the passion and competitive nature is continuously pushing the collective group ever further. :cheers:

The Agera RS isn't a one-off Frankenstein though. Comparing the two on level terms is quite pointless.
And without knowing if this Agera RS had the 1MW engine option, like the record breaking car did, it's even more pointless.

Comparing the two on level terms is quite pointless.
But fun.

Besides, that sounds like a racing excuse to me. Like one of 25 Agera RSs is any more relevant than one of one SVM Qashqai Rs - and SVM will build you one if you asked, probably for less money. SVM has a number of tuned R35s for customers, and the Qashqai R is no different. Would they not be on level terms if they showed up together at a set of traffic lights, because one came out of a second factory with that performance and the other came out of the first with it?

Anyway, I forgot. Irrelevant vmax benchmarks are serious business.

But fun.

Besides, that sounds like a racing excuse to me. Like one of 25 Agera RSs is any more relevant than one of one SVM Qashqai Rs - and SVM will build you one if you asked, probably for less money. SVM has a number of tuned R35s for customers, and the Qashqai R is no different. Would they not be on level terms if they showed up together at a set of traffic lights, because one came out of a second factory with that performance and the other came out of the first with it?
That's not the point though. The thing I take issue with is that you're using the fact that the Quashqai beat the fastest production car in the world, in what can most accurately be described as a test of acceleration, as evidence that it is the fastest street car in the world. Or am I not understanding you right?

The Agera RS can do well in excess of 270 mph. That's faster than 238 mph.
I've seen street legal cars go 0-240 mph in under 6 seconds. I'm guessing the Quashqai can't do that.

So it seems it's neither the fastest street car in the world nor the quickest street car in the world.

Anyway, I forgot. Irrelevant vmax benchmarks are serious business.
I'm not the one who wrote an article about it.

Or am I not understanding you right?
You're understanding sort of right (it's not an acceleration test, even though it looks like it; drag races are settled by ET, not VMax. ET is quick, VMax is fast), but you're not having any fun about it.

A supercar club did a one-mile drag race for anyone with a road legal car and a £375 entry fee. Of all the cars that showed up - including a One:1, an Agera RS and, in previous years, a P1, a LaFerrari, a Chiron and a 918 - the very fastest (because it's a "VMax" event) was a modified Qashqai. Well, a modified GT-R that looks like a Qashqai. Thus the fastest car in the world right then was a Qashqai. No matter what else was there, and there were several contenders with proper speed chops, the Qashqai reached a higher speed.

In other times and places, it might be other things. Hell, it might not even have been the Qashqai - their first run was 158mph, and when they went last year the boot opened in the middle of a run and acted like a horrific airbrake, limiting the car to 180mph. But it was.

And in fact, slightly later in the day, Koenigsegg's factory driver Niklas Lilja showed up and took the Agera RSN up to 242mph - which is why I've amended the article to add this information, because, you know, having fun is serious business.

I've seen street legal cars go 0-240 mph in under 6 seconds. I'm guessing the Quashqai can't do that.

So it seems it's neither the fastest street car in the world nor the quickest street car in the world.

Might have been beaten since, but Jeff Lutz (from Street Outlaws) ran 5.87s @ 251mph... quarter mile, not mile... in a street legal car (car has covered over 1,000 miles in a week on public roads - which will be more than most Egg's cover in a year).

Thus the fastest car in the world right then was a Qashqai.
Shouldn't that be; the fastest car at Bruntingthorpe?
because, you know, having fun is serious business.
Oh, come on now, you're making me out like old grumpy.

OK, I'll admit; I did read the thread title in Jeremy Clarkson's voice and that seems to have triggered me slightly.

Might have been beaten since, but Jeff Lutz (from Street Outlaws) ran 5.87s @ 251mph... quarter mile, not mile... in a street legal car (car has covered over 1,000 miles in a week on public roads - which will be more than most Egg's cover in a year).

That's the car I was thinking of actually.

In the UK we have Street Eliminators that have to drive a mandatory 26 mile street route, including a fuel stop where they have to fill up with pump gas and hot start, before they can take to the strip. They do sevens, at 200 and up (record is 208), in the quarter. They're quite something... but I recall they use drag radials for their runs, just like in Pro ET. Lutz's car is a Pro Mod, and they use drag radials for their runs too.

That's kind of the point at which street legality goes out of the window for me. I don't doubt they'd be horrifyingly fast on street rubber in a standing mile though :lol:

I did read the thread title in Jeremy Clarkson's voice
Now you're getting it :D

In the UK we have Street Eliminators that have to drive a mandatory 26 mile street route, including a fuel stop where they have to fill up with pump gas and hot start, before they can take to the strip. They do sevens, at 200 and up (record is 208), in the quarter. They're quite something... but I recall they use drag radials for their runs, just like in Pro ET. Lutz's car is a Pro Mod, and they use drag radials for their runs too.

That's kind of the point at which street legality goes out of the window for me. I don't doubt they'd be horrifyingly fast on street rubber in a standing mile though :lol:

👍

Lutz's car might need a different final drive, but would run >300mph over a mile on street rubber... would need some care off the line though :lol:

That's not the point though. The thing I take issue with is that you're using the fact that the Quashqai beat the fastest production car in the world....it's neither the fastest street car in the world nor the quickest street car in the world.

I'm not the one who wrote an article about it.

Because "Fastest SUV built by a tuner in the UK in a mile drag race, beating the fastest car in the world, but not being the fastest car in the world itself due to technicalities" is a **** title.

I, for one, very much enjoyed the article.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't there a TT Ford GT approaching 300mph in the standing mile? Some truly ridiculous stuff in these runway events.
Something like that. These boys that run the Mile, TX2K, & WannaGoFast are on a different level of speed when it comes to the fastest street cars though.

I get a little chuckle hearing about this Qashqai being the fastest street car in the UK. :P

Latest Posts

Back