What's the hardest event in GT history?

• Thread starter SCER
  • 431 comments

Which is hardest?

• Total voters
United Kingdom
London
haroldinho41
In light of the horribly difficult 97T Brands Hatch time trial, what do people think are most difficult events in the history of Gran Turismo?

My vote would go to the X time trials of GT5. Even getting bronze had me nearly crushing my DS3 in my hands due to effort and concentration :lol:

In light of the horribly difficult 97T Brands Hatch time trial, what do people think are most difficult events in the history of Gran Turismo?

My vote would go to the X time trials of GT5. Even getting bronze had me nearly crushing my DS3 in my hands due to effort and concentration :lol:
IMO The Vettel challenges from GT5 and the x2011 event was harder. However, that's only GT5 and GT6. For me, GT3 and GT4 had MUCH harder challenges.

The original IC-10 of GT5, before they mandated SRF and definitely not in the period where they disabled the AI collision fail conditions, sticks out pretty highly to me. Definitely the most difficult in GT5, at least.

S licence tests of old (GT2/3) were always a real struggle for me. They were the only events I could happily accept a bronze with. Can't remember specifics but there was one involving a Corvette race car and a circular lap I think :ouch:. Probably more a combination of difficulty plus a lack of skill meant that was a real headache for me at the time.

The Vettel challenges are still too difficult for me to get gold in all of them.

The Lotus TT's took a matter of hours in comparison to the weeks or sometimes months it took me to beat other GT challenges. I got the silver after only a few attempts, but getting gold was a little trickier.

I can't really officiate on GT1 and GT2 events, and I was six when I played GT3, but it's interesting to see nonetheless :lol:

I will say however, anyone who golded all of the X car events of GT5 is ridiculously skilled.
I was very young when I played GT 1 and 2. Probably why I remember them being so hard!

I was very young when I played GT 1 and 2. Probably why I remember them being so hard!

Same for me with GT3, had no idea what I was doing and restarted about twenty times, always buying an MX-5 and buying the cheapest parts (sports flywheel :lol:) believing they'd transform my car into a track weapon. Needless to say I never got far. Nearly broke my thumb holding down the X button though.

I must say, I really miss the challenge.

1. Vettel Challenges - GT5
2. Super License, Final Test - Sauber C9 on Nordschelife - GT4 (Japanese version, changed to Mercedes 190 DTM for US and PAL versions of the game, was not even close as a challenge)
3. International A License, Test 7 - TVR Griffith on Special Stage Route 11 - GT1
4. Super License, Test 2 - Ford GT40 on Seattle - GT2
5. Top Gear Events - Lotus Elise Race - GT5 (without ANY assists, that race is a 100% hardcore challenge)

Honorable mentions:

6. original (pre 1.02 patch) run with Gallardo on Toscana Night - GT5 - layout of the track was changed with the update and race became easy
7. Grand Canyon License Test with Subaru Rally Car - GT4
8. RUF RGT on Complex String - Time Trial event in Arcade Mode - GT3 (beat Kazunori Yamauchi's time)

However...

Single most demanding challenge in GT series history - on pair with the Vettel challenges:

Gran Turismo 5 Seasonal Events / Bonus Race No.2/ A-spec
Period of Availability: 24.12.2010. - 13.01.2011.
Mazda RX-7 Tsukuba Circuit / 10 Laps race

Without assists (all assists OFF, ABS OFF, no power steering), this particular challenge was the hardest challenge ever conceived in the history of GT series. Even with car tuned to max restrictions possible (Tyres:Max. Sports: Hard / Power: Max. 394BHP / Weight: Min. 800kg) it was a gargantuan challenge to keep the laps in sequence needed to catch the leader.

This particular event is the pinnacle of GT experience. Sadly, due to its extreme hardness, the outcry of the casual drivers was so loud (even here on GTPlanet, the words "broken", "impossible", "insane" were very usual these days..) that Polyphony decided to turn off the restrictions for all future Seasonal challenges in order to please the majority.

However, all races of Bonus Race #1 and Bonus Race #2 events will serve in memories as the Immaculate Challenges of the Gran Turismo series.

For me I believe there was a license test in either GT1 or GT2 using the Toyota GTone that seems to use part of a race track not in the game. At least I couldn't identify it at the time

And I always found interesting tests and races that I'd breeze through others had difficulties and for the ones I'd struggle with, they'd be like "WHAT?? That was sooooo easy!" Haha

1. Vettel Challenges - GT5
2. Super License, Final Test - Sauber C9 on Nordschelife - GT4 (Japanese version, changed to Mercedes 190 DTM for US and PAL versions of the game, was not even close as a challenge)
3. International A License, Test 7 - TVR Griffith on Special Stage Route 11 - GT1
4. Super License, Test 2 - Ford GT40 on Seattle - GT2
5. Top Gear Events - Lotus Elise Race - GT5 (without ANY assists, that race is a 100% hardcore challenge)

Honorable mentions:

6. original (pre 1.02 patch) run with Gallardo on Toscana Night - GT5 - layout of the track was changed with the update and race became easy
7. Grand Canyon License Test with Subaru Rally Car - GT4
8. RUF RGT on Complex String - Time Trial event in Arcade Mode - GT3 (beat Kazunori Yamauchi's time)

However...

Single most demanding challenge in GT series history - if Vettel challenges did not exist:

Gran Turismo 5 Seasonal Events / Bonus Race No.2/ A-spec
Period of Availability: 24.12.2010. - 13.01.2011.
Mazda RX-7 Tsukuba Circuit / 10 Laps race

Without assists (all assists OFF, ABS OFF, no power steering), this particular challenge was the hardest challenge ever conceived in the history of GT series. Even with car tuned to max restrictions possible (Tyres:Max. Sports: Hard / Power: Max. 394BHP / Weight: Min. 800kg) it was a gargantuan challenge to keep the laps in sequence needed to catch the leader.

This particular event is the pinnacle of GT experience. Sadly, due to its extreme hardness, the outcry of the casual drivers was so loud (even here on GTPlanet, the words "broken", "impossible", "insane" were very usual these days..) that Polyphony decided to turn off the restrictions for all future Seasonal challenges in order to please the majority.

However, all races of Bonus Race #1 and Bonus Race #2 events will serve in memories as the Immaculate Challenges of the Gran Turismo series.

Can't really blame PD for getting rid of difficult events, the majority of players complain about them being too hard rather than busting a gut to achieve gold, despite somewhat alienating their hardcore fanbase. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Can't really blame PD for getting rid of difficult events, the majority of players complain about them being too hard rather than busting a gut to achieve gold, despite somewhat alienating their hardcore fanbase. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.
At the risk of turning this into a discussion on all things PD/GT, it would have been nice if GT6 catered to both new and veteran players alike. There are many advocates on GTP of a customisable version of GT that one could make suit their own level of skill or commitment (not every one has the time to put hundreds of hours of gameplay in anymore), if only PD would listen.

I'm happy for anyone who did struggle, or indeed still is struggling, with the new content though. They're some great cars to improve your skills in. And at least for those who didn't find it much of a challenge, they can still race those cars online.

Dont get the fuss with brands and senna. did it on lap 5 with a DS3.

hardest for me was the final slip streaming challenge around the test track in skylines in GT4
Reminds me of a one-make race around the test track (the top speed oval thingy) in GT3 involving TVR's (I forget which one). I had nightmares over that one :lol:.

At the risk of turning this into a discussion on all things PD/GT, it would have been nice if GT6 catered to both new and veteran players alike. There are many advocates on GTP of a customisable version of GT that one could make suit their own level of skill or commitment (not every one has the time to put hundreds of hours of gameplay in anymore), if only PD would listen.

I'm happy for anyone who did struggle, or indeed still is struggling, with the new content though. They're some great cars to improve your skills in. And at least for those who didn't find it much of a challenge, they can still race those cars online.

Agree with you completely. In a funny way, despite having loved GT4, GT3 was probably the most pure and enjoyable installment for me. I only ever owned two cars (The MX-5, and the Corolla Levin from the Sunday cup), but it was so enjoyable because it offered a challenge, even though I never actually overcame it and got anywhere in the game.

It's funny to think that I loved it so much, for about two years, despite the fact that I only ever drove two cars and raced on about eight tracks. Got about 2% of what my dad paid for :lol:

You forgot about GT5 Alfa Romeo 8C / Eiger Nordward.

IMO Not that hard if you knew the course from GT5: Prologue. Gallardo was much demanding due to limited visibility. However, that particular layout of Toscana track is one of the best courses that were made for GT5.

Back