What's the hardest event in GT history?

• Thread starter SCER
  • 431 comments

Which is hardest?

• Total voters
30min for me on brands hatch with the 97t(dfgt)
mostly it was a bravery test as in "how much faster can i go around this corner?!"
then doing the full track except the hairpin in 4-5gear and 1.06.8xx was there.

never completed vettel challange more than silver, but got all gt5 missions except for nascar events. gt2-4 100% complete except the 24h events.
last gt2 license test took me forever to understand the (in gt series overdone) compression grip effect.

1. The license test with the TVR on Special stage Route 11 in GT1, took me almost a year to even get a silver (can't get a Gold yet, now that I own another copy of the game).

2. Sebastian Vettel's challenge at Suzuka, 4 months to take the gold.

3. Eiger Nordwand / Alfa Romeo 8C.. this was the last event I needed to gold, and it took me 2 months to do so.

4. The GT-One license at Monaco in GT3.. golded it in a matter of 3 weeks.

Everything else was eventually a piece of cake

Mission 34 - SLR at Nordschleife
Vettel X Challenge in GT5
License Test IA and S Exams - 190E and DTM version at Nordschleife
Some of the seasonals at Tsukuba in GT5
License Test IA 1 - XJ220 at Midfield
License Test S 13 - Audi R8 at Infineon
Coffee Breaks were tough too, especially the Maze (CB 5)

Also, I've always found difficult doing the slalom license in all GT's

So those are the tests I've had the hardest time with, there might be more though... :)

1 - Vettel challenge (with DS3 I conly manage to make: gold,silver,bronze) with the original times.

2- Some S tests in various GT games.

PS: I remember a license (S) with a GT40 in Seattle that was a pain in the "but". :D GT2 or 3 I think ^^

Guys, guys, remember slipstream battles in GT4? The Nissan Skyline one especially? That was so, so hard! That first placed guy always seemed way to far ahead, and those 3 laps were often not enough. I remember losing by less than a second, that felt horrible!

Is everyone forgetting Driving Mission 34 from GT4? Only one person mentioned it so far. I spent so many hours and days on that one... I still remember I couldn't beat it legitimately so I had to launch across the grass at the end of the long straight and crash right into the leading Gulwing to take him out before I proceeded to cross the finish line.

I honestly can't remember any real specifics from the early GT games but I do remember in general that the license tests were much harder than later GTs. Personally, the GT-One at Monaco in GT3 I found quite easy. Maybe not at first, but when I came back to it I think I beat it by two or more seconds. Very fun. Then again I absolutely loved Monaco back in those days and was very, very good at it.

Anyway, the Brands Hatch 97T Gold was difficult, but not overly difficult in terms of past GT challenges... But maybe the hardest thing so far for me in GT6 (which tells me nothing in GT6 is that hard). The single hardest thing in GT5 for me were the Vettel challenges, which felt great to get Gold. Nothing in GT6 has given me that challenge. Even the X2011 on Goodwood I found very easy and only took a few tries to complete.

Part of me misses the challenge of the older GTs, and part of me welcomes that while there are challenges, there's nothing that's absolutely ridiculously hard. Then again, I'm probably much better now than I was in GT1/2/3 and I don't know if it's just nostalgia that makes it seem like it was much harder back then. But I'd still probably say things were harder back then. The same is true for videogames in general IMO. Videogames are easier today than they were yesteryear.

Is everyone forgetting Driving Mission 34 from GT4? Only one person mentioned it so far. I spent so many hours and days on that one... I still remember I couldn't beat it legitimately so I had to launch across the grass at the end of the long straight and crash right into the leading Gulwing to take him out before I proceeded to cross the finish line.

I honestly can't remember any real specifics from the early GT games but I do remember in general that the license tests were much harder than later GTs. Personally, the GT-One at Monaco in GT3 I found quite easy. Maybe not at first, but when I came back to it I think I beat it by two or more seconds. Very fun. Then again I absolutely loved Monaco back in those days and was very, very good at it.

Anyway, the Brands Hatch 97T Gold was difficult, but not overly difficult in terms of past GT challenges... But maybe the hardest thing so far for me in GT6 (which tells me nothing in GT6 is that hard). The single hardest thing in GT5 for me were the Vettel challenges, which felt great to get Gold. Nothing in GT6 has given me that challenge. Even the X2011 on Goodwood I found very easy and only took a few tries to complete.

Part of me misses the challenge of the older GTs, and part of me welcomes that while there are challenges, there's nothing that's absolutely ridiculously hard. Then again, I'm probably much better now than I was in GT1/2/3 and I don't know if it's just nostalgia that makes it seem like it was much harder back then. But I'd still probably say things were harder back then. The same is true for videogames in general IMO. Videogames are easier today than they were yesteryear.

I am surprised about how few have mentioned Mission 34 as well. I'd name it for the ultimate challenge in GT history! :bowdown:

I think too that GT's missions licenses and other TT's have become way too easy, nowadays not getting gold makes you feel like crap, in past GT's you felt good even to get Bronze or Silver. However the friends' leaderboard makes it more fun.

The RedBull time trial at Goodwood in GT6. Didn't even try the Vettel challenges more than once in GT5. Too frustrating, although I did eventually gold the Goodwood one. Eventually. DS3, nightmare.

Personally I didn't find that one too bad, considering the fact that it was the most ridiculously fast thing ever on a metre wide stretch of tarmac. I think they set generously high target times in acknowledgement of the fact that lots of people would be competing in it, and just getting it all the way along the course took considerable patience.

1. Vettel Challenges - GT5
2. Super License, Final Test - Sauber C9 on Nordschelife - GT4 (Japanese version, changed to Mercedes 190 DTM for US and PAL versions of the game, was not even close as a challenge)
3. International A License, Test 7 - TVR Griffith on Special Stage Route 11 - GT1
4. Super License, Test 2 - Ford GT40 on Seattle - GT2
5. Top Gear Events - Lotus Elise Race - GT5 (without ANY assists, that race is a 100% hardcore challenge)

Honorable mentions:

6. original (pre 1.02 patch) run with Gallardo on Toscana Night - GT5 - layout of the track was changed with the update and race became easy
7. Grand Canyon License Test with Subaru Rally Car - GT4
8. RUF RGT on Complex String - Time Trial event in Arcade Mode - GT3 (beat Kazunori Yamauchi's time)

However...

Single most demanding challenge in GT series history - on pair with the Vettel challenges:

Gran Turismo 5 Seasonal Events / Bonus Race No.2/ A-spec
Period of Availability: 24.12.2010. - 13.01.2011.
Mazda RX-7 Tsukuba Circuit / 10 Laps race

Without assists (all assists OFF, ABS OFF, no power steering), this particular challenge was the hardest challenge ever conceived in the history of GT series. Even with car tuned to max restrictions possible (Tyres:Max. Sports: Hard / Power: Max. 394BHP / Weight: Min. 800kg) it was a gargantuan challenge to keep the laps in sequence needed to catch the leader.

This particular event is the pinnacle of GT experience. Sadly, due to its extreme hardness, the outcry of the casual drivers was so loud (even here on GTPlanet, the words "broken", "impossible", "insane" were very usual these days..) that Polyphony decided to turn off the restrictions for all future Seasonal challenges in order to please the majority.

However, all races of Bonus Race #1 and Bonus Race #2 events will serve in memories as the Immaculate Challenges of the Gran Turismo series.
Lol Amar! Do you have a photographic memory or have you been keeping a spreadsheet all these years!?
:lol:

Great list BTW. 👍

Lol Amar! Do you have a photographic memory or have you been keeping a spreadsheet all these years!?
:lol:

Great list BTW. 👍

That's called "The Internet". :sly: Open a list of missions and licenses in each game, then use nostalgia-memory to choose the hardest. :D:tup:

On my first play through of GT6 the Red Bull at Goodwood took hours, but on my second it took me about five minutes,

Does sebastien loeb challenges on gt5 count?I could never do them.

The most popular answer so far. They were horrible, getting bronze on that felt better than getting gold for every other event did.

Problem with the Vettel Challenge was having to do a perfect lap with that fighter jet on wheels. If that thing would really exist i guarantee no one would survive 10 laps in it, it's just surrealistic and having to get round a track not only without screwing it up, but also having to take every corner in the fastest way possible is just plain crazy / fustrating.

I really wonder if Vettel set that laptime himself, and how long did it take him.

Problem with the Vettel Challenge was having to do a perfect lap with that fighter jet on wheels. If that thing would really exist i guarantee no one would survive 10 laps in it, it's just surrealistic and having to get round a track not only without screwing it up, but also having to take every corner in the fastest way possible is just plain crazy / fustrating.

I really wonder if Vettel set that laptime himself, and how long did it take him.

The problem was that you had to do 2 laps, which makes it even tougher.

I feel weird for finding the Loeb challenges very easy...

I found them hard, but I managed to gold them and I improved my driving doing it more than I did in any other event. Jeff Gordon and the NASCAR events for instance, taught me absolutely nothing.

Anyone remember GTPSP?
Driving Challenge O-1?
That was infuriating.
And the car you used was...the GT-One. (But against a CLK-LM.)
It's a common theme for such challenges, isn't it?

GT1: I think the non-tuning series is pretty high up here, unless, of course, you had a Skyline. I seem to remember the rest being relatively easy.

GT2: The Viper Team Oreca on Laguna Seca. Not more that needs saying.

GT3: Same as GT2 and topping it off with a TS020 in Monaco. Other than those, the good-paying events take some endurance to complete.

GT4: Driving Mission #24 is pretty high up the list. The 24 hour races should have a notice too. And the Tsukuba 9 Hour race. And the license tests involving full laps at the Nordschleife. If you've golded all of that, the rest should be easy.

GT5: Tsukuba X2. Vettel X1. And the odd occational event in A-Spec. And the entire B-Spec career (so many hours wasted wondering why Bob wouldn't overtake a Civic in his Speed 8).

GT6: Hard? Nothing in GT6 is hard compared to what I just listed. The closest would be second half of part 3 of the Senna Tribute. But really, 30 minutes of practice and you've got it. Think it's too hard? I think the Viper Team Oreca, Laguna Seca, Toyota GT-One and Monaco would want a word with you.

I feel weird for finding the Loeb challenges very easy...
I personally never understood it myself, but I think rally driving is something you just kinda "get" to an extent. Every game in the series that has had rally licence tests I've completely destroyed (for GT5, we're talking full seconds ahead of the target gold time) usually on the first time out; but the similarly tight and technical equivalents on road tracks (like the Amalfi races in GT4) gave me no end of hell.

GT1: I think the non-tuning series is pretty high up here, unless, of course, you had a Skyline. I seem to remember the rest being relatively easy.

GT2: The Viper Team Oreca on Laguna Seca. Not more that needs saying.

GT3: Same as GT2 and topping it off with a TS020 in Monaco. Other than those, the good-paying events take some endurance to complete.

GT4: Driving Mission #24 is pretty high up the list. The 24 hour races should have a notice too. And the Tsukuba 9 Hour race. And the license tests involving full laps at the Nordschleife. If you've golded all of that, the rest should be easy.

GT5: Tsukuba X2. Vettel X1. And the odd occational event in A-Spec. And the entire B-Spec career (so many hours wasted wondering why Bob wouldn't overtake a Civic in his Speed 8).

GT6: Hard? Nothing in GT6 is hard compared to what I just listed. The closest would be second half of part 3 of the Senna Tribute. But really, 30 minutes of practice and you've got it. Think it's too hard? I think the Viper Team Oreca, Laguna Seca, Toyota GT-One and Monaco would want a word with you.

Bolded because it's the truest thing I've read all day.

I personally never understood it myself, but I think rally driving is something you just kinda "get" to an extent. Every game in the series that has had rally licence tests I've completely destroyed (for GT5, we're talking full seconds ahead of the target gold time) usually on the first time out; but the similarly tight and technical equivalents on road tracks (like the Amalfi races in GT4) gave me no end of hell.

It took me until the Loeb events to realise that rally isn't about being on full throttle as much as possible. Before that I was braking, easing into mid-corner then giving it a bootful and coming out 90 degrees sideways. Even for tracks like Grand Canyon on GT4, I used to take the tightest of turns at full throttle sideways.

Back