Whats up with this new penalty system its absolutely ridiculous

• Thread starter Boris353
  • 279 comments
I was in some of those races earlier. The Vulcan feels like it has no rear brakes or something! It's not much faster than the GT3s but you have to brake way earlier. It caught me out on the first corner for sure although I didn't hit anything/anyone or gain time. The game made sure it gave me an 18 second penalty for it though!

Indeed, brakes also seem much less effective in slipstream than normal. Just now I had finally climbed back up to SR.A, by taking a shortcut of the the second part of the chicane when I saw someone about to hit me. That's a smaller penalty you can keep driving with and still get a blue rating at the end... However last race, guy in front brakes early for the second chicane, I have a car coming in hot next to me, can't move out of his slipstream, he turns in late as well so I tap him slightly, don't even disrupt his line, 5 sec penalty and back to SR.B at the end of the race for an otherwise flawless race.... He was DR.B so he didn't get a penalty, at least I didn't ruin his race.

Last edited:
@Sven Jurgens I actually wanted to ask you something about your experiences getting SR points, as I read your daily updates from the trenches :)

We have been doing similar things (I on Euro smurf account) going up and down and around with DR and SR. Given that my account is now 50K driver points, but 20 manner points, I'm thinking to enter some races under the new system to see if I can get enough manner points (while keeping the driver points more-or-less around 50k) to get S/S. I can't be arsed playing otherwise, so this is like a little challenge I have set myself to stay interested.

I did this before on another account, but with the old system, so not sure my strategy will work anymore.

What would your recommendation/s be for the safest way to get manner points, while trying to maintain DR at same level?
I know I'm not Sven but I just had to get my account back up from 51 to 99. I would say forget about racing, you need a substantial gap in front and behind or it's high risk of having your SR lowered. I simply hung back until people went off/got penalties and let anyone past who was right behind me. I went from 70k to 68k DR but that doesn't really matter. If you're fast enough you should be able to qualify in the top 5 and find a gap around there and will finish higher as people get penalties for looking a bit aggressive or changing gear a bit too early.

If you're fast enough you should be able to qualify in the top 5 and find a gap around there and will finish higher as people get penalties for looking a bit aggressive or changing gear a bit too early.
That's if you survive the first couple corners on the first lap, Bathurst was a mess cnosidering that, all 5 races I did yesterday and this morning I was being rammed while in 2nd, 3rd or 4th place.

Yeah I just did some Bathurst races, first corner I was getting rammed twice by the same guy and he received no penalty and I got a 3 second penalty then got rammed again at the top of the hill. Looks like it rewards aggressive driving.

In T1 you rode the inner kerb, were slow through the apex and the guy behind was caught out. He braked early enough and clearly wasnt 'ramming', just didnt predict your speed right and was too late to correct.

Ideally noone would be penalised there but calling him a rammer is not fair at all.

That's if you survive the first couple corners on the first lap, Bathurst was a mess cnosidering that, all 5 races I did yesterday and this morning I was being rammed while in 2nd, 3rd or 4th place.
Yeah you need a track with a fast first few corners like Kyoto for best results

It sucks. I have managed 4 clean races all in top 5 positions getting up my Sr points at Bathurst. Last race, i was rammed in 2nd corner and got a 2 seconds penalty. Tryed to slow down but was impossible to get out of the racing line during the next section between the walls up the mountain... i was hitted again and got a 6 second penalty again. Then my race has been fighting with sr D players (nightmare) so all my progress has been wasted.

I havent played since the update and I will probably wait until they fix some things. I like that you have to serve your penalty right away, but there should be a clear indication when someone has a penalty in front of you! Also, dont care what anyone says but if you get rammed, or hit someone at the back because he suddenly brakes and receive a penalty is stupid, same as spinning out, losing seconds and getting an extra penalty! This is a game, wheres the entertainment in that? I could see why some people are getting pissed off.

It sucks. I have managed 4 clean races all in top 5 positions getting up my Sr points at Bathurst. Last race, i was rammed in 2nd corner and got a 2 seconds penalty. Tryed to slow down but was impossible to get out of the racing line during the next section between the walls up the mountain... i was hitted again and got a 6 second penalty again. Then my race has been fighting with sr D players (nightmare) so all my progress has been wasted.

I would not scrub off a 2 second penalty till later and only then if convenient. short penalties do not have to be scrubbed (okay Im only dr-b and sr-b/a so maybe rules are tighter in S?), and you should never try to do so up the mountain, you are going to get hit so hard and the other guy is going to blame you! Short straight before last turn and start finish straight is probably best place I guess.

With the penalty system as it currently is everyone is too scared to overtake and the slightest touch with another car results in a penalty. This isn't racing in my eyes. Everyone likes clean, hard and fast racing, but this penalty system is beyond a joke and so aggravating.

I have had two absolute shockers today in the Nations cup and the Manu cup. Racked up about 30 seconds in penalties in the first race (snowball effect, one slight run onto the grass turns into one slight rub with another car and so on, just escalates, you then try to slow down at the side and then get plowed into by another car and thats another 10 second penalty.. I mean comon!)

And in the second race some numpty decides to dive bomb from 200 yards back into the first corner and wipes out half the field and then its case trying to avoid the mobile chicanes trying to make your way through the field which with the slightest door rub ends up in penalties galore.

Sort it out PD, I want to race properly!

Last edited:
With the penalty system as it currently is everyone is too scared to overtake and the slightest touch with another car results in a penalty. This isn't racing in my eyes. Everyone likes clean, hard and fast racing, but this penalty system is beyond a joke and so aggravating.

I have two absolute shockers today in the Nations cup and the Manu cup. Racked up about 30 seconds in penalties in the first race (snowball effect, one slight run onto the grass turns into one slight rub with another car and so on, just escalates, you then try to slow down at the side and then get plowed into by another car and thats another 10 second penalty.. I mean comon!)

And in the second race some numpty decides to dive bomb from 200 yards back into the first corner and wipes out half the field and then its case trying to avoid the mobile chicanes trying to make your way through the field which with the slightest door rub ends up in penalties galore.

Sort it out PD, I want to race properly!

I don't think I'm even going to bother racing at all until they fix it. It was annoying enough when they put fuel use and tyre wear into the FIA races because now your fuel saving strategies are possibly more important than how well you're driving as having the wrong strategy can easily lose you 5 seconds over the course of a race. But now with this penalty system it's just become a joke.

One thing I will say, because I can't be opposed without also being aware, unwarranted penalties against me have been non-existent for a few days. At the same time, the rooms I have been in have been very close in terms of skill. So maybe, slight A vs A contact is allowed.

I'm just glad I'm not getting slapped with penalties for being hit from behind anymore.

EDIT - Guy touches me and gets a penalty at the last turn at Bathurst on the last lap. Then he decides to serve his penalty buy stopping on the racing line, causing me to run into his tail. Thanks for 12 seconds of penalty. In fairness, I had earned 4 seconds by tapping @Sven Jurgens . Sorry about that.

Last edited:
The simple and most common sense fix is to not allow scrubbing penalties at all. Add them up at the end of the race and be done with it.

Get too many and you’re DQ’d.
Or set it up to serve the penalty as a drive through pit lane. Therefore the offender can drive as hard as he/she wishes until having to serve the drive through. Ignore it and be disqualified.

What's up with this new penalty system ? I will be hit from another car & incur a penalty & if i dont stop 4 this penalty it starts becoming higher & higher this is absolutely ridiculous. So now ive got a penalty 4 someone ramming into me & have 2 stop not slow down STOP. So if this penalty was say 3 seconds its realy more like a 10 second penalty because i have 2 stop. So most races I've been in since the new update I've had 2 go all the way to the back because of someone elses mistake & When the race ends they dont have a penalty open your eyes gt ( oh & in the livery editor cut,copy & Paste/grouping decals & u should be able 2 copy all the decals on the left side of the car 2 the right side with 1 botton ) there thats my rant 4 now but yeah realy peeeved off with the new penalty system

Is it really so hard to write ‘to’ instead of 2 ?

Last edited:
I am amazed that 99% of the penalties people that are posting about is always due to someone else.

This forum must be populated by all top level Alien drivers as no one it seems hardly ever gets a penalty that they should receive for a bonehead move they pulled.

Lot of claims of IDINDONUFFIN on all these penalties countless racers have received. :lol::lol::lol:

I am amazed that 99% of the penalties people that are posting about is always due to someone else.

This forum must be populated by all top level Alien drivers as no one it seems hardly ever gets a penalty that they should receive for a bonehead move they pulled.

Lot of claims of IDINDONUFFIN on all these penalties countless racers have received. :lol::lol::lol:

Well people don’t usually complain about deserved penalties so it’s not exactly surprising that the ones people have issue with and post are the ones they get unfairly.

Yeah good advice. I was trying to think what might be the safest strategy - starting at SR C and B I'm going to probably hold pole 95% for most races, might be able to just stay in front in those cases. At SR A is where it might get tricky, so maybe your approach would be good there (i.e., don't race, get a bubble near the front, but not too close to entice people to race me!).

I'm thinking Daily C is the only viable option as well - with regard to possible point payouts.

Daily C is your only option, unless B has quite a few laps. Normally the max you can gain on a A or B race is only 5 points, while C gives out 13 to 17. Best is to qualify so you don't start in the messy back. And then be on your best behavior to drive clean. Wait for a track you're comfortable with. If all goes well, you'll only do 1 step in SR.A.

Btw I've noticed that you get bonus points at lower SR levels. If you start at SR 20 your initial reward for a clean C race can be 20 or more points. When my SR dropped to 1 from draft bumping, next race I earned 55 points in one daily C (25 Bluemoon laps) while still draft bumping!

Do not drop to SR.E though, that will reset your DR to 7k :)

Last edited:

I just had 2.5 sec that was no one's fault at T2 on Bathurst. 1 bar connection on my outside somehow bashed me into the inside wall while he was clearly leaving room and holding his line, as his car corrected to that position straight after unaffected. Still a hit according to the server, 1.5 sec for hitting the inside wall for me, plus 1 sec for both of us for the contact that never happened, except in lag town.

Ugh and now lost almost 2000 DR and 5 SR from kid starting to cry at the start of the race. I still took 2 seconds to put my car on the side of the road and disconnect while in 2nd. Next time just let it crash everyone, makes no difference. PD's sportmanship rating is SR.F!

Next race, car in front of me pushes to hard, bounces off the wall, I brake yet he lost too much speed too fast, bump which only benefits him as now he's 1.0s ahead instead of 0.2s I was following at. +3 sec penalty, -8 SR after the race for that single tap. Sure it was my fault for following another car :)

Last edited:
Lost 40 points of SR today dropping from B/S to B/B. Two a-hole drivers... I should've just let it go. Luckily I only lost about 400 DR. Basically this has been my worst day since I starting playing 24 days ago.

Sark

For people who are not DRS and think the update is ok or do not see a problem this is what we DR S drivers have to put up with

It would have been nowhere near as bad had he just served the initial penalty as opposed to continuing at full pace and the penalty increasing.

You’re right but I think the main takeaway is serving penalties during the race is causing more penalties to drivers who have done nothing wrong.
I get that, but it was stupid to carry on driving when his penalty was increasing and then complaining that he had to stop for 18 seconds. If he'd stopped immediately he'd have been off again within a couple of seconds max.

I get that, but it was stupid to carry on driving when his penalty was increasing and then complaining that he had to stop for 18 seconds. If he'd stopped immediately he'd have been off again within a couple of seconds max.
I said you were right in the post you quoted.

That's a long race with a lot of issues to untangle but ultimately he's a known YouTuber and top racer who's perspective is far more valid and relevant than mine. That being said, I've watched a bunch of his footage and he continually cuts off overlapping cars leading into the apex without any regard. I don't even know if he knows that that is inappropriate driving. His first penalty on this footage was was a cut off penalty. He then proceeded to rage chase his opponent and grow his penalty into double digits. Then he blames the game for his massive penalty.

On top of all of that, he did indeed get side swiped and cut off by other drivers receiving penalties he should not have received while they seemingly did not. In those instances his critiques seem valid.

Clearly there's something wrong.

Z28 Here.

Interesting take on the video. I notice a lot of you think I didn't play fairly and think my first penalty was a cut? Completely incorrect. In the FIA top 24 race I had zero cut penalties when I bumped Snow. He lost focus, breaked and lifted on that turn when his dad came in the room. I was not too close, he went wide and the car body language showed he was taking the turn normally. He messed up and my slight bump should not have been a penalty.

My penalty from snow didn't grow at that point. It was two seconds and doesn't grow unless it's 5 seconds +. (So I've been told)

Regarding helz. I wasn't going to cut him off. He was going slow at that point. (Over a second slower per lap) Snow and I caught him quickly and I was trying to pass, but needed to do so on a turn as I was saving fuel. The turn where it appeared I would cut him off, he took the turn wrong. You're supposed to take that turn as I did and come out wide. I didn't get a cut penalty for that. I ran a 1:22.6 with that route and used it to my advantage short shifting and only pitting once the entire race.

I've been getting personal hate messages from people on this forum and I would appreciate it if you stopped. I read all of my private messages and calling me an idiot and all of this ridiculous stuff over a video game is a little much. I have no idea who it is, but they claim to be members here. Your derogatory remarks leave a dent.

Thanks for watching the video and sorry if you disagree. But the reality is that I didn't have any penalties until the poor break choice by snow and I didn't cut helz off. He took the turn slow due to poor tires and was going way below pace. When you have the #1 guy behind you, yeah you're going to push a little hard and every turn counts. To be honest, I should have cut the inside even more and made the pass. (I could have made it with no penalty) If I did, snow had 4 secs of penalties to burn and I would have been hard to catch without burning too much fuel.

One more thing. After the bump from TC, I should have slowed down immediately and I could have had 3rd place pretty easily. But I was frustrated because I'm a human being. It's easy to look back and chat in these forums saying "he should have done this, he should have done that." But you're not taking in account driver emotions. That's the entire reason why snow slowed down in front of me. Lost focus and was annoyed with his track cut. He's better than that and better than I am. Period.

I don't claim to be good at this game, nor advocate that I'm some top player. That stuff doesn't matter to me. I enjoy racing with other players and making them improve. Win or lose, time on the track with the friendly GT Sport community is where I have fun.

I didn't get an accumulated penalty from the bump from snow and I tried to take the penalty immediately. (You can see in the video) The problem is, it didn't register immediately because the S was approaching and I would have had to come to a complete stop. I didn't want to do that and potentially cause an accident from the fast cars coming behind me, so kept going to find a better spot and spun out because of frustration. It was still 2 seconds, I know the video made it seem like it was longer at that point. The penalty started accumulating after the second bump from TC. Which at that point, I was already done with the race anyway and didn't care.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back