Whats up with this new penalty system its absolutely ridiculous

• Thread starter Boris353
  • 279 comments
New Zealand
New Zealand
What's up with this new penalty system ? I will be hit from another car & incur a penalty & if i dont stop 4 this penalty it starts becoming higher & higher this is absolutely ridiculous. So now ive got a penalty 4 someone ramming into me & have 2 stop not slow down STOP. So if this penalty was say 3 seconds its realy more like a 10 second penalty because i have 2 stop. So most races I've been in since the new update I've had 2 go all the way to the back because of someone elses mistake & When the race ends they dont have a penalty open your eyes gt ( oh & in the livery editor cut,copy & Paste/grouping decals & u should be able 2 copy all the decals on the left side of the car 2 the right side with 1 botton ) there thats my rant 4 now but yeah realy peeeved off with the new penalty system

What's up with this new penalty system ? I will be hit from another car & incur a penalty & if i dont stop 4 this penalty it starts becoming higher & higher this is absolutely ridiculous. So now ive got a penalty 4 someone ramming into me & have 2 stop not slow down STOP. So if this penalty was say 3 seconds its realy more like a 10 second penalty because i have 2 stop. So most races I've been in since the new update I've had 2 go all the way to the back because of someone elses mistake & When the race ends they dont have a penalty open your eyes gt ( oh & in the livery editor cut,copy & Paste/grouping decals & u should be able 2 copy all the decals on the left side of the car 2 the right side with 1 botton ) there thats my rant 4 now but yeah realy peeeved off with the new penalty system

Hey mate, and welcome !

There are a already a few threads that could possibly help you out;
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ate-now-available.375579/page-6#post-12221855
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/just-raced-under-the-new-algorithms-and-rules.375584/

I do agree with the livery editor thing though.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...gs-that-you-find-annoying-in-gt-sport.375114/

No, you only need to stop or slow down once for a penalty, not 2 times.

Obviously do it in a safe spot, far away from the racing line or else of course you’ll get rammed. I’d be shocked if you didn’t.

It's working great for me. The system sucks at assigning blame yet I only had a minor bump at T1 in Monza in 2 out of 9 races today. Only once my SR dropped from 99 to be back at 99 the next race.

Compare that to a marathon of 32 GR.1 races on Monza I did a few weeks ago where it was never without significant contact and in the majority of races a complete chaos. I started that at SR 99 and from all the ramming it got down to 50, never managed to get it above 66 after that. One SR.S race I got -24 SR from repeatedly getting pinballed into cars in front of me. No thank you, it's much better now.

If you look closely, the car who rammed you usually gets a higher penalty. I got rammed as well today, still happens. I got 5 sec, the car that hit me 10 sec. I had a blue rating at the end, the car that hit me a red rating. It's a vast improvement to getting punted off the track in every race. Only 2 dive bomb attempts today and both ended up with a red A. It's working.

Blue moon tonight was horrible .... getting rammed and getting 3s penalties that lose you any hope of a high finish trying to wear off.

I agree it needed improving, but they need to get the apportioning blame sorted out.

This is interesting and gives me hope after empathetically reading your previous Monza marathon report :guilty:👍

It's working as long as the whole room is A/S. Just now I had a race on Nurb 24h with only 5 A/S, rest B/S. B/S doesn't get time penalties for hitting you. An idiot A/S driver behind me rammed me 5 times in the lead up to the Nordschleife, racking up the penalties so I had to slow down and descend into the destruction derby the B/S drivers were having. Result -16 SR getting knocked around old style while dodging accidents and chaos.

I reported the A/S driver which had quit out before the end of the race. It was no accident. Unfortunately it's still easy for trolls to intentionally ruin someone's race. I hope the report function does something.

For people who are not DRS and think the update is ok or do not see a problem this is what we DR S drivers have to put up with

That's a long race with a lot of issues to untangle but ultimately he's a known YouTuber and top racer who's perspective is far more valid and relevant than mine. That being said, I've watched a bunch of his footage and he continually cuts off overlapping cars leading into the apex without any regard. I don't even know if he knows that that is inappropriate driving. His first penalty on this footage was was a cut off penalty. He then proceeded to rage chase his opponent and grow his penalty into double digits. Then he blames the game for his massive penalty.

On top of all of that, he did indeed get side swiped and cut off by other drivers receiving penalties he should not have received while they seemingly did not. In those instances his critiques seem valid.

Clearly there's something wrong.

That's a long race with a lot of issues to untangle but ultimately he's a known YouTuber and top racer who's perspective is far more valid and relevant than mine. That being said, I've watched a bunch of his footage and he continually cuts off overlapping cars leading into the apex without any regard. I don't even know if he knows that that is inappropriate driving. His first penalty on this footage was was a cut off penalty. He then proceeded to rage chase his opponent and grow his penalty into double digits. Then he blames the game for his massive penalty.

On top of all of that, he did indeed get side swiped and cut off by other drivers receiving penalties he should not have received while they seemingly did not. In those instances his critiques seem valid.

The worst for me was coming out of the pits close to another car in autodrive and getting 2 penalties for "hitting" i presume but there was no touch that i could see plus i have no control in the pit lane.

The game is practically broken for S racers.
I could go lap after lap bumper to bumper (without touching) before which was just sublime, the best racing (and replays) ever but now i daren't go anywhere near them and am always anxious.
That is not fun.

Name one race series where they dish out 5 second penalties for a tap neither driver noticed and had no consequences. Name one race series where every single driver got a penalty at some point. Name one series that dishes out a 20 second penalty for crashing into a wall. Name one series where there is no racing, only people moving up and down the field based on penalties. Name one series where you have to dodge cars serving penalties at least 3 times a lap. It's a joke.

Last edited:

Too many numbers, did not read

For people who are not DRS and think the update is ok or do not see a problem this is what we DR S drivers have to put up with

Updates are obviously adjusted to quality of play. S drivers should be be given the biggest disadvantage as they as shown to being the closest to real racing drivers.
For those who dr S i play the worlds smallest violin for you.

Last edited:
I had a couple of races last night. Some bumps and scrapes but no penalty. I got a penalty for corner cutting which i got rid of by slowing down. I didnt need to stop. It was all faily clean and enjoyable. Its all about avoiding the worst situations.

Damage anyone? Was damage applied in this race? How about slowing people down with incurred damage instead of penalizing everyone.

And the track boundaries there are terrible. Way too much runoff in certain corners which lead to penalties. Instead of 20 feet of tarmac outside the curbing there should be grass forcing people off the track.

Had a race yesterday where i had little contact with the other guy.. just rubbing each others car.. (that sounds strange.....:P) We had a good fair race but with little contact. I've seen no orange SR down and recieved no penalty's. When the race was done i had a red S and went from 99 to 90.
Very strange.

We have been trying to explain this; I was so looking forward to Bathurst today but I've just gone from SR:99 to 85 in one race, and I never hit anyone - that was all one driver who kept tapping me. He was an AS, he left the race an AC. Luckily I'm still SS but now I'm feeling as though I can't do another race at Bathurst because for all I know the same could happen again.

I'll stress again, I hit no one that race, but kept getting penalties for being tapped through skyline or the dipper :nervous:

But yeah, how Z28 is feeling is how I've been the feeling the last few days - just feel like you can't race anymore.

Wierd. Appart from a guy tryinh to push me into the gravel while emtering the pits at Bathurst I haven't experienced any really unwarranted sr penalties. And there was a fair amount of rubbin' and tapping on blue moon the other day with no orange coming up.

Im s/s and I've had no problems. then again i didnt have any before the patch either. i dont really do a lot of overtaking though

Agreed completely. He wanted to divebomb hellzfire but didn't "because of the penalty system" then moans about a player doing exactly what he would've done to hellz had the new penalty system not been in place.

Snows scrub of the penalty at the apex of turn 5 was a joke. Top player, doesn't know scrubbing a penalty there with z28 right behind him doen't know it'll cause issues?

That to me is racecraft and awareness. He's super quick and one of the fastest, but that driving across the board didn't look great for SS drivers imo.

Last edited:
i would scrub it on an apex too. it's not like you can just ignore it and there's no point turning a 2 sec penalty into a 5 sec one by serving it on a straight

i would scrub it on an apex too. it's not like you can just ignore it and there's no point turning a 2 sec penalty into a 5 sec one by serving it on a straight

With a car right behind you? And the fact that the apex speed on that corner, or any come to think of it, wouldn't be enough to scrub a penalty now anyway.

With a car right behind you? And the fact that the apex speed on that corner, or any come to think of it, wouldn't be enough to scrub a penalty now anyway.

you can definitely still scrub them on corners .. you have to do it on multiple turns though so you can't be choosy. as far as the guy who hit him goes its not where i would be in that situation, theres no need to follow him so closely because you can't do anything until the straight after the next couple of corners anyway. these things happen

You keep posting that video, then how about this one where he races 16 laps of Brands Hatch and only gets one penalty because he bumps a car from behind:

By the way, he finished second to the guy who did not get any penalty and also recorded the fastest lap.

anyway, regardless of whos at fault or whatever, here is my simple fix for this type of ambiguity: put a red dot next to the name and position plate above the cars of players who have penalties they need to serve. then you can watch for them slowing down ahead of time

I'm still undecided on this adjusted penalty system, had some races where I got bumped or bumped another car with zero penalty, then other races got bumped (more like rammed) and I'm the one that received a penalty.

Back