Whats Your Audio / Home Cinema Setup?

• Thread starter 2ez2KiLL
  • 866 comments
Im currently refitting movie theaters , its heartbreaking to see the equipment getting destroyed it would be nice to see some of the speakers in my man cave .only problem some of the speakers are the size of my man cave

Im currently refitting movie theaters , its heartbreaking to see the equipment getting destroyed it would be nice to see some of the speakers in my man cave .only problem some of the speakers are the size of my man cave
Why are they getting destroyed? :odd:

When they upgrade they write it off so you usually got to destroy them .basically so no one gets them all and put em on eBay and makes a few bucks for themselves.

What a waste. Hate to see perfectly functional equipment getting destroyed.

And from what I've seen (heard) of theater sound system, not all of it is perfectly functional, either...

What I really came in here to post is that I've settled on another 4K 3D set to replace the Samsung I sent back for excessive backlight bleed a few weeks back. I got a refurb 2015-model Sony Android TV. Went up to 65" instead of 55. They didn't send any glasses with it, but the Samsung glasses I already had for my 51" plasma paired with the Sony and work fine.

I really am liking the Android feature set in the TV. I know other smart TVs have the apps built in like this, but somehow the layout of the screens on this just makes more sense; couldn't really tell you why. With my prior set, all my streaming was done through the PS/3, HDMI'd into the receiver, with the TV set up as a monitor off of the receiver. That's still the setup for discs and games, but everything else is in the TV itself now, which makes for less juggling of remotes. It also has Chromecast built in.

I had a good bit of setup to do out of the box, as it was WAY too high on nearly every picture setting; brightness, color, sharpness, black level, everything. WAY too much color, and black was so harsh that dim areas just disappeared. When those Chromebook commercials, or the Pixel 2 commercials would come on, with their solid white backgrounds, it was like the sun in my living room. It made me think of the scene in Christmas Vacation when the neighbors are in their bedroom and the lights come on. :)

Besides the picture adjustments I needed, I had some major furniture adjustments to do, as well. My TV sits on a mount post that is on the back of a three-shelf stand, and that stand is in the gap in a piece of furniture consisting of the equipment cabinet to one side, media storage cabinets to the other side, with a bridge connecting them, over the TV, with the bridge adding more media storage. I had to empty the cabinets, remove the bridge, make the bridge ten inches longer, move the cabinets as dictated by the confines of the fireplace in the corner of the room at one end, and the breakfast counter at the other end. The Sony 65, thanks to a much narrower bezel than my old 51 plasma, is not as much larger as I thought it would be. Nevertheless, it only clears with 3/4-inch at the top, and 1/2-inch at either side! My girlfriend says I need to modernize the furniture, but I can't think of how. There's enough stuff still in the equipment cabinet that I can't not have the cabinet, and I sure can't just throw all those movies and music discs onto the floor! When I showed her what all is in there, she very reluctantly admitted she had no better ideas.

So: way bigger picture, still have 3D so I can play all my existing media, and a smart TV with all my streaming services on built-in apps. There's even a "My apps" menu where I can put only the apps I have subscriptions for, and I don't have to scroll through 15-icon-wide 3-rows-tall menus to find the five I need.

Last edited:
Bit of a climb to adjust the atmos.
Resized_20180227_153814.jpeg

As promised here is a breakdown of what the old HiFi with a new lease of life will look like going forward.

Speakers - B&W 685S2
Speaker Cable - Chord Rumour 2
Speaker Stands - Triangle with custom Oak top plate

HiFi Rack - Atacama Evoque Eco 40-60

Turntable - Audiotechnica LP5
Cartridge - Ortofon Red << Now Dead
Cartridge - AT95EX
Cable - Chord Crimson Vee 3
Phono Stage - Graham Slee Communicator Gram 2
Phono Cable - Chord C-Line 2

Amp - Yamaha RX-V675 AV

BD / CD / SACD / DVD - Marantz UD7007
HDMI - Chord (Can’t Remeber this one either)

Other Digital bits:
Portable HDD - Straight into USB on thr amp, with all gizmos turned off so Audio goes through DAC then amp and out to speakers with no other tinckering. Sounds fantastic.

Apple TV via HDMI for PLEX and other bits.

PS4 & Switch for gaming delights.

Current pic of most stuff listed.

5F03F4ED-0940-466B-B013-578CDA497ED7.jpeg

Slight update... I killed my Ortofon Red when packing the TT today to move from the old house to the new one.

4587643E-3B62-4462-B37E-0656546FD41E.jpeg

I’ve had to replace it with a slightly more mediocre cartridge.

Last edited:
As promised here is a breakdown of what the old HiFi with a new lease of life will look like going forward.

Speakers - B&W 685S2
Speaker Cable - Chord Rumour 2
Speaker Stands - Triangle with custom Oak top plate

HiFi Rack - Atacama Evoque Eco 40-60

Turntable - Audiotechnica LP5
Cartridge - Ortofon Red << Now Dead
Cartridge - AT95EX
Cable - Chord Crimson Vee 3
Phono Stage - Graham Slee Communicator Gram 2
Phono Cable - Chord C-Line 2

Amp - Yamaha RX-V675 AV

BD / CD / SACD / DVD - Marantz UD7007
HDMI - Chord (Can’t Remeber this one either)

Other Digital bits:
Portable HDD - Straight into USB on thr amp, with all gizmos turned off so Audio goes through DAC then amp and out to speakers with no other tinckering. Sounds fantastic.

Apple TV via HDMI for PLEX and other bits.

PS4 & Switch for gaming delights.

Current pic of most stuff listed.

View attachment 739983

Slight update... I killed my Ortofon Red when packing the TT today to move from the old house to the new one.

View attachment 740831

I’ve had to replace it with a slightly more mediocre cartridge.

Throw a 2M Blue stylus at it, supposed to be a very worthwhile upgrade. Cartridge body's are the same.

Throw a 2M Blue stylus at it, supposed to be a very worthwhile upgrade. Cartridge body's are the same.

I’m looking at the Nagaoka MP-200 or if I can find the scratch an MP-300. I feel the 300 maybe lost on my system though so the 200 might be the ticket. It’s 3 times the price of the stylus for the blue though. Once I’ve paid for my central heating system which is hitting me for £5000!!! then I might be able to find something spare.

I’m looking at the Nagaoka MP-200 or if I can find the scratch an MP-300. I feel the 300 maybe lost on my system though so the 200 might be the ticket. It’s 3 times the price of the stylus for the blue though. Once I’ve paid for my central heating system which is hitting me for £5000!!! then I might be able to find something spare.

I hear the Nagaoka is very good, I saw review recently on the 2M Bronze (which I own) on YouTube channel HiViNyws that compares it to the MP-200 that he liked much better than the Bronze. However I do like my Bronze and it's far better than the Rega Elys2 I accidentally destroyed. If I destroy my stylus again I'll probably try the Nagaoka MP-200.

Ok so no let up in the shinanigans of my system. First the cartridge and now the Marantz UD7007. For a little while the drive has been tempromental in opening. Yesterday it gave up the ghost and opens about 2cm and stops. It can’t reasonably be encouraged to open either with a little force.

As this player is pretty old by now and is also our main player for all formats including SACD it’s a must have item in our house. So I’ll use this opertunity to upgrade and future proof it a little too.

I’m looking at the Oppo 203 as a replacement. It plays everything I need and while Oppo have pulled out of the market for these types of players they’re going to support them for a while yet with firmware etc. Plus these players can be upgraded with a new PSU and drive stability plate etc.

On a brighter note, here are some pics of the fantastic Gram Amp 2 & Chord Rumour 2.

0EE85770-DFF4-4724-AF92-06EA643D55A2.jpeg
FE004B1B-313B-4C04-A9CE-81C6D4270BDD.jpeg

Edit- That escalated quickly. I’m. Now on my way back home cradling a new Oppo UDP-203. I’ll report later of how well/badly it works etc.

2B9CC4F9-AE88-430B-B12B-064BBCF1846D.jpeg

Last edited:
What have you done with it now you've upgraded it?

It’s currently boxed and stored. I know of a guy who may be able to repair it. If so then it will be pressed back into service as my SACD for the dedicated music room.

It’s currently boxed and stored. I know of a guy who may be able to repair it. If so then it will be pressed back into service as my SACD for the dedicated music room.

Would be a shame to waste it for what is, in my experience, a fundamentally cheap and achievable fix, if quite fiddly.

Would be a shame to waste it for what is, in my experience, a fundamentally cheap and achievable fix, if quite fiddly.

I'm hoping it's something and nothing. I’ll crack it open when I get chance.

Perhaps someone in here can be of assistance. I'm experiencing problems with my Marantz 1605 receiver. The 6.3mm jack input for headphones keeps switching off, as if the switch in the input itself is somehow failing to make contact with the connected jack. I've replaced the jack itself, and so confirmed that the problem lies with the input socket. Is there anything I can do in this instance?

Most of my movie watching and PlayStation gaming is done via headphones, so this poses a significant problem for me.

Perhaps someone in here can be of assistance. I'm experiencing problems with my Marantz 1605 receiver. The 6.3mm jack input for headphones keeps switching off, as if the switch in the input itself is somehow failing to make contact with the connected jack. I've replaced the jack itself, and so confirmed that the problem lies with the input socket. Is there anything I can do in this instance?

Most of my movie watching and PlayStation gaming is done via headphones, so this poses a significant problem for me.

Could be a loose connection inside and when the headphones move the socket moves too and loses the connection. it may just need soldering back into place.

Could be a loose connection inside and when the headphones move the socket moves too and loses the connection. it may just need soldering back into place.

Thank for the help. It's weird. It stays perfectly well connected for a random amount of time, could be 5 minutes, could be an hour, and then it'll just switch off. If I turn the jack a bit, it'll switch back on for a while. The new jack does appear to maintain connection more consistently than the one I replaced though.

I should point out that the switching off happens even if no movement is taking place. For instance, I can have the headset lying on a table and it'll still switch off. When the connection does work, it seems to work perfectly, in the sense that I can turn the jack as much as I'd like without it switching off. So it doesn't appear to be a problem relating to how the jack is positioned within the socket. I'm not much of a handyman, and I lack the tools necessary to do soldering, so I am hoping it can be fixed by other means.

Edit: Perhaps I should add that the big jack (6.3mm) is simply there to connect the 3.5mm mini jack from my headset. I'm going to try another 3.5mm jack to see if the problem lies there.

Last edited:
I have a weird problem with my sub/reciever, though I'm not sure which of the two has the problem.

If I drive all speakers the sub will not work. If I turn off either the center speaker, surround rears or fronts the sub works. Basically sub will not run with all 5 speakers driven. (speakers are set to small) I am very familiar with the AV amp settings and have been through every combination and am yet to figure it out. Could there be a hardware issue with the reciever?

I have a weird problem with my sub/reciever, though I'm not sure which of the two has the problem.

If I drive all speakers the sub will not work. If I turn off either the center speaker, surround rears or fronts the sub works. Basically sub will not run with all 5 speakers driven. (speakers are set to small) I am very familiar with the AV amp settings and have been through every combination and am yet to figure it out. Could there be a hardware issue with the reciever?
The only time my subs stop getting a signal is if I select the "wrong" audio format like mono or stereo. With assorted Dolby, THX Movie, etc. selected, the subs all light up. But I'm sure you've already done that!

Has the sub never worked or is this a new thing?
Is the receiver new enough that you can update the firmware on it?
If your sub can do it, could you wire the left or right speaker to the sub then out to the speaker?

I've got a question, how does one watch a 3D Blu Ray these days? :lol:

3D TV as a technology is dead, I have a 3D Blu Ray but nothing to watch it on. Most people I know never bought a 3D TV and those that did have long since upgraded.

So what are my options? I was thinking of ripping it and watching in Google Cardboard or something but its kind of a faf and will probably look terrible.

Last edited:

3D TV as a technology is dead, I have a 3D Blu Ray but nothing to watch it on. Most people I know never bought a 3D TV and those that did have long since upgraded.

So what are my options? I was thinking of ripping it and watching in Google Cardboard or something but its kind of a faf and will probably look terrible.
Do you have PSVR, as I believe it can do the job.

Having shifted all my Hi-Fi, Playstations and TV this weekend I thought it'd be about time to actually get things wired up properly again.

On account of me not upgrading my technology in years, I need to get a box for extracting a digital optical signal from the HDMI output of my Playstation to go to my amp. The optical out on the TV is not outputting a multi-channel signal, so for a year I've effectively only been getting Pro-Logic II from Playstation 4 (Still use PS3 for Blu-Rays as that has an optical out).

Anybody know if this kind of thing..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KLBKQBK/?tag=gtplanetuk-20

... is reliable? My Amp's 10 years old, my TV's a few years old and it's now been 6 years since I had anything to do with Hi-Fi or AV.

Do you have PSVR, as I believe it can do the job.

Unfortunately I don't. From what I've heard about it it seems to be a bit of a disappointment.

That's the next technology that's going to hit the bin in a couple of years :lol:

I bought an LG all-in-one cinema system with tall speakers for the living room two years ago. Quality is not that bad but I regret buying it because I didn't do my homework. Turns out it doesn't have HDCP 2.2 pass through, just 1080p which sucks because it clips the nice HDR content from the PS4 Pro. I've since bypassed it by connecting the console directly to my TV and getting the sound through toslink. Hopefully I will build something proper with a good AVR and new set of speakers.

That's why I bought a 3-year-old TV to upgrade my 9-year-old 3D display. It was from the last year Sony made 3D televisions. LG made them in 2016, but even old and refurb, I can't afford the OLED sets!

My own opinion of the failure of home 3D is that people don't just sit and watch the movie when watching at home. At the theater they don't mind being trapped in their seat with nothing to do but watch the movie; it's why they went. For some reason, though, they can't make that same effort at home. They have to go to the kitchen for drinks, answer the phone, or the movie is on in the background while they try to work on something else, and in those modes, the glasses are just in the way. You can't put a 3D movie into the background, so people just... didn't.

Personally, it annoys the hell out of me when the family agrees on a movie to watch, and then can't sit through the movie and actually watch it without coming up with other stuff that has to be done.

Back