• Thread starter 2ez2KiLL
  • 866 comments
Just to clarify...
More like this:

Digital TV = fine
Blu ray = Dialogue can be muffled or too quiet
HD download (Amazon) = fine on most films, some are more muffled though
Stream = Dialogue often too quiet against other channels

We stream Netflix through an Amazon Fire TV and NowTV through a Chromecast.

The main issue is the often muffled vocals and/or over-powering sound effects which mean you can't hear people talking that easily. Digital TV is fine as is anything in HD that I purchase (usually with 7.1 surround). But if we stream anything through our current set up, then it often has the vocal/music/effects balance issue. I've improved things as far as I can, but I need something more powerful or can give a more consistent level of sound quality.

I've found this to be more and more common. I put it down to media being audio coded for 7.1, 5.1 or even just 2.1. Playing most stuff through just my TV on-board speakers and the talking is almost inaudible. Music starts or some loud action scenes and that just drowns any talking out. Set the volume so you actually hear what's been said, and everything else is just too loud.

I know its a issue with TV's these days. A) the slimmer they are, the harder it is to package in some effective speakers. B) Manufacturers want to flog you their surround-sound kit as well.

Even a half-decent soundbar will improve the balance between talking and everything else. But it comes down to how much you want to spend and how much room you have and/or what your better half will allow you to clutter your living room with.

Pick up a copy of What Hi-fi. They have buying guides that put together various separates in different budgets. Then just throw a package together online. If you find one element is bring the rest down, i'm sure most places will allow you to exchange for something that works for you better.

@TheCracker - Cheers, I'll take a look.

My set up is an integrated blu ray amp which has 7.1 speakers. It appears to be the 5.1 and some 2.1 movies that's the issue, everything else is balanced and audible. It's the inflexibility of the all-in-one approach that I think is the problem. I've tried all the manufacturers advice plus set my centre to a fake 25 feet distance (the others are accurate at 10 feet) to help it enhance the vocals, but it's only made a slight difference. As I said, it must be how it handles the encoding as 2.1 TV and 7.1 movies don't have this muffled effect on the vocals. I'd just like the flexibility of boosting the vocals and suppressing the background sounds as required.

Tbh, if anyone has a set up that works and has never experienced this issue in a similar environment, I'd probably just go for it. The missus isn't too fussy about the speakers, just as long as it works and she can turn it on.

She currently has to ask our 10 year old daughter to switch between the inputs etc. But I never said that, right!

Late to this party, but...

Onkyo TX-NR646 (£299 usually £499)
Kef Home Theatre series 3000 (Approx £2,000)
Samsung 60in 3D 4k curved smart TV £1,600
Panasonic 3D blu-ray player £peanuts
Usual Sky HD box.

I originally had the TX-NR609 which was rated the best AV receiver money can buy around 5 years ago on What HiFi. But that died a few months ago so I went for what is basically the replacement 646 due to its 7.2 channels and Atmos capabilities (yet to install Atmosphere speakers tho).
The Samsung TV is also a recent addition. My new house has a 17ft x 22ft living room and my old 42in Panasonic TV looked ridiculously small so an upgrade was required.

The Kef speakers themselves are admittedly expensive but absolutely astonishing (and to be fair, Kef's flagship speakers will set you back a good £30,000 or more so mine are budget Kef). I only use a 5.1 channel set up at the minute, 100 watts per channel plus the big "wheel" subwoofer that genuinely shakes the house.

Provided the speakers hold up - and there's no reason they shouldn't - I'm set now for many more years to come.

20160803_082530.jpg
20160803_082840.jpg
TB
@RikkiGTR - have any pics of your setup?

No but I can take some of course. I'll get back to you once I figure out how to upload them here direct from mobile :D

EDIT: I see there's an upload button right there. Bare with me...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to double post because it won't let me add any more images to that last post...

Here's the sub and the satellite speaker.
There are 2 satellites of course but once you've seen one...

Attachments

• 20160803_082647.jpg
    20160803_082647.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 18
  • 20160803_082800.jpg
    20160803_082800.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited by a moderator:
They are certainly neat. I actually had a 10ft screen and In-Focus full HD projector in my previous house, with this surround sound system. In this new house it is safely ensconced in my living room until "that time" comes around again and I can get busy rebuilding my home theater.
Alas, building other peoples' dreams does me for now I guess :grumpy:

PS - I honestly couldn't recommend Kef highly enough. As I've mentioned already, my own are budget speakers for that brand but you wouldn't think it when you put on a Blu-Ray and have your face melted off in the best possible way :D

Not pretty (particularly the cable management, or lack thereof), but it works.

OScIvJ5.jpg

7CvAJtP.jpg

ez9TOCk.jpg

0uSwHUu.jpg

TV is a something-inch VIZIO circa 2012. Full 1080p, 3D (not that I ever use it), IR sensor doesn't work.

Desktop serves as HTPC. Inside there's a 2 TB hybrid drive, 1 TB SSD, 500 GB SSD, and 500 GB laptop HDD. Next to it is an 8-bay 32 TB RAID 50 array (24 useable) and a 3-bay (formerly 4-bay) 9 TB RAID 5 array (6 TB useable).

As for audio, well...

vsQ7PDy.jpg

Which headphones I use vary depending on my mood. I buy headphones like women buy shoes (or at least I did when I could afford it). :lol:

Depending on the headphones, there may be a JDS Labs C5D amplifier involved as well.

@Lain :D
I have a similar "system" in my man cave. Consoles and cables all over the place. If the cables were in my way I would get busy with some management, but as things stand it all works perfectly and I'm quite happy.

I'll get around to it though...

Another update.

Out with the old center:
TB
Center channel: Sony SS-CN550H

20151122_003331-jpg.483195
In with the new.

20161026_062520.jpg

Size comparison between the two:

20161026_062740.jpg

Now I need a new stand built for the behemoth.

I'll get pics of the entire front soundstage when the pallet wall is done and I can move my tripod. Which, based on the progress I've made lately, will be in 2 months. :lol:

Well well, we're all settled now.
20161118_172411.jpg

All I have left to do now is move that white bookshelf out of the way and mount the left speaker on the wall. Trouble with that is, that part of the wall is 6 inches behind the right part. For what I paid, I'm very impressed by these Klipsch speakers. I can feel the bass at times sitting in my bed (as you can see(maybe), about 16 feet) and as I've learned today, placement really is key. It's like wearing giant headphones. The balance is perfect.
Those clothes are there for uh, sound deadening. Yea.

ive got a lot of work to do for my man cave
but currently running Onkyo TX-NR636 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver
with klipsch quintet and duel klipsch r 110sw subwoofers.
a 65 in 4k aldi cheapo tv , with Xbox1s and ps4 pro and still trying to figure out these buttkickers.
soon ill grab some nice floor standing speakers and upgrade the quintet to bigger beasts and build a new pc

I'm waiting to buy a new TV, the one we have is showing its age a bit and the colours are going in one of the corners, you get spots of blue when it's dark.

I want a 4k with good HDR and not a curved screen because it will probably be wall mounted. I have a preference to Android as well for some of the apps like Kodi. So the list of TV's isn't that big at the moment, but I'm hoping more flat OLED tvs will come out this year.

Last edited:
Are those... three subwoofers?
Um, yes. :dopey:

Left to right is a JBL PSW-1000, Sony SA-WM500 and a Monoprice 605999. If I come across the right one for the right price, I'll likely add a 4th, provided it's a different brand from the other three. Of all things, a Hitatchi sub showed up on Craigslist recently. I'm quite tempted just for the WTF factor. :lol:

TB
If I come across the right one for the right price, I'll likely add a 4th, provided it's a different brand from the other three.
TB
low frequencies drive my wife's ears crazy
Have you converted her :lol:

How is the Onkyo performing? I know the CV's are very sensitive but surely it's working very hard.
Have you considered a power amp?

Have you converted her :lol:
She hasn't been in the room (thanks to the construction) for 6 months. I'm pretty sure she doesn't even know about the Sony. :lol:
How is the Onkyo performing?
So far so good. It can handle everything I throw at it short of Atmos. I'm nowhere near ready for that jump, though.
Have you considered a power amp?
I can't say I've ever looked into one, no.

God that is a nice setup :drool::drool::drool:

I really liked the Avengers theme you had going on the rear wall though. Also, where are the rear speakers?

God that is a nice setup
Thank you. :)
I really liked the Avengers theme you had going on the rear wall though.
As I said in the build thread for the back wall, that was always a place holder until I decided what to do with it.
Also, where are the rear speakers?
It isn't my first choice but all 4 are in the ceiling.

20170530_190052.jpg

The two wide ones were left there by the builder as it was cheaper for them to take the $80 loss on the speaker's than it was to repair the 2 holes. The rear surrounds I put in and as they're so close to the back wall, I wouldn't have been able to mount anything to the wall anyway so that's really the only place they could go.

Well, so long as it works :)

Looks so comfortable that you could binge watch all the Game of Thrones seasons without your back aching.

Last edited:
Back