What's your preferred camera view in GTS?

• Thread starter Spade13
  • 170 comments

What's your preferred camera view?

• Cockpit View

• Third Person

• Roof View

• Bumper View

• Hood View

Results are only viewable after voting.
My PREFERRED view is cockpit, but since we cant add the big rearview inside of it (project cars has this option), I flip between cockpit and bumper depending on the car and/or situation.

EDIT: Also, maybe you guys do this too, but on tracks I'm not familiar with I will run a couple laps on roof view to see further/more of the track.

Last edited:
Hood view, used to do bumper back in the old days, can't do it well now. Third person view I'm really off, braking too late or early and over steering/understeering.

Bumper cam b/c if i want to see the car I can watch the replay and if I want realism I can go outside and drive in the real world. No sense in hindering my view on a game for some added realism.

Hood view? What hood view? There is no hood view in GT Sport. There's only roof view with the camera aimed to show the hood, the camera however is placed on the roof on all of the cars. It's one of the things I hate, there not being an actual hood view since I would prefer that. I do use the roof view though since that's the closest we get to it.

For Gran Turismo I choose to race with the bumper cam since GT4, but for other games I use different cameras.

For example, on Assetto Corsa I use cockpit camera because I can adjust it to my liking, and on Dirt Rally I use the dash cam and sometimes change it to cockpit. Dash cam is also what I used on Driveclub.

Edit: I mostly play with a wheel. If they let us adjust the cockpit cam(and add a big rear view mirror) or add a dash cam I will start using them on GT.

Bumper since GT1. I’d like to use cockpit and use it often but it just doesn’t feel right, fov, sense of speed, sound are just not as immersive. Anyone who drives a car in real life knows that the faster you go the more focused your vision becomes, basically filtering out anything that’s not conducive to your concentration, like your hands, the wheel, the dashboard. The bumper cam is actually the most accurate presentation of what your brain perceives, which never is what your eyes actually see. Its pov could be a tad higher, agreed, but GT’s bumper cam has always been the best compared to other racing games where most often it really feels like a badger, and makes trailing cars next to impossible.

Depends when racing on line bumper view. Offline I switch between roof and third person
Same here, and a good reason is because online i want a rear view mirror. I like for the immersion cockpit, but i wish the hud display did not cover the rear view mirror in the cockpit for right hand drive cars the opponent names list covers the rear view mirror. I hope they can turn up the transparency of the hud so this isnt an issue in later patches or give us more hud and cockpit camera options.

I use 'bumper' cam in GT Sport.

The most important thing to me, is to have my 'eyes' in the right place.
My viewpoint must be as close as possible to actual height above ground as it would be in real life,
and it must be placed so that i can know where the front wheels are.

In most games, cockpit view can usually provide this viewpoint, but unless one is running triple screens or VR,
cockpit view is horribly unrealistic because of the unnaturally obscured vision.
If you can't 'look around' when you're in cockpit view, it's not giving a reasonable representation of a real driver's view.
I'm always amused at the folks driving cockpit view with one monitor, describing it as 'realistic' & 'immersive',
and I wonder if they've ever actually driven a car in real life.
Cockpit view on one monitor fixes your view straight ahead, and there is a virtual black curtain covering 90% of the driver's side window,
and the black curtain is also covering the passenger side window, and 25% of the front windscreen.
No driver in the real world would tolerate that kind of extreme intrusion on their vision.

In an actual driver's seat, your head moves front to back, and side to side constantly,
your eyes fly around, and your brain paints a mosaic, a 'latent image' of the whole scene.
There is no A-pillar, no windshield wipers, ... your brain is just seeing the unfolding shape of the road, and locating your front tires.

On my PC, I play DiRT Rally, Assetto Corsa, and others on triple screens ... in cockpit view.
Right now, I'm missing racing my buddies online in GT6 on triples, with my 3 PS3's ... in cockpit view.
But cockpit view on a single screen doesn't cut the mustard with me.
(I make an exception in the case of open cockpit cars, they're not as bad on one screen)

Bonnet cam works well in Assetto Corsa, which is good, because their bumper cam feels too low to the ground & too forward.
DiRT Rally bonnet cam is also a good viewpoint.
And this gets rid of the A-pillar & clutter, that your brain ignores in real life, so that's good.
Another cool thing a good usable bonnet cam gives you, is a nice little visual of the front of the car,
a long or stubbie bonnet, some color, and more sense of relative movement to ground.

'Bumper' cam in GTS put my eyes at a realistic height over the tarmac, and right behind the front axle,
with nothing unnaturally blocking my vision.
All the other cams, besides cockpit, are too far away from where the driver is, so I can't enjoy them.

Sometimes I drive GTS in cockpit view! Because I can, and because they have all those blinking lights,
and cool knobs, and switches, and stuff.
I do prefer that a game offer the option to exclude the wheel & hands in cockpit cam.

Last edited:
@Spade13 There is no “bumper cam” in Gran Turismo. It’s called “Normal View”. The camera is not on the bumper as it is in other games. It’s an invisible cockpit. Please edit your poll.

When I'm driving casual, it's Chase Cam with the "near" setting and all camera movement set to 0, gives everything a nice fluidity.

When it's time to get serious, it's Bumper Cam with radar in the quick menu.

I use the hood view, I find I can easily race with cockpit view in all the other games, but the narrow FOV and weird to no depth perception of GTS makes it too strange.

I've used hood view in GT since GT4. Bumper view moves far too much with the suspension which seems too unrealistic.

Really depends on how I can adjust the driver position in cockpit view. For the Citroën GT, the LaFerrari and the Beetle, I always use bonnet cam. Otherwise, I’ll use cockpit offline and bonnet online.

As a DS4 player I feel 3rd person gives me way more info than any other camera setting. When I used a wheel in past games I always went with cockpit view tho. I would love to see a camera setting where you see what the pilot is seeing (leaning your head and turn it into the apex like in PC2 or Ride)

I use the invisible car 'bumper view', I would like to use cockpit view if both wing mirrors were visible. In an ideal world where everyone had access to and had to use a wheel, I would like to see 3rd person view removed from racing games altogether. It amazed and disappointed me that VR driving games (driveclub vr and dirt rally vr) included this view. I'm happy to say that cockpit view is the only available view in the VR part of GTS, as that's how it should be.

For Gran Turismo I choose to race with the bumper cam since GT4, but for other games I use different cameras.

For example, on Assetto Corsa I use cockpit camera because I can adjust it to my liking, and on Dirt Rally I use the dash cam and sometimes change it to cockpit. Dash cam is also what I used on Driveclub.

Edit: I mostly play with a wheel. If they let us adjust the cockpit cam(and add a big rear view mirror) or add a dash cam I will start using them on GT.

I used to race in 3p mode in GTAO, and started from that in GTS, but... All YTube vids in GTS are from bumper and it forced me to try and start using bumper cam. Couldn't get the point from the start, but now it's fine. With 3p mode is harder to get proper braking points and turn points.
Cockpit cam in GTS is adjustable in settings. Guess other cams as well...

@Spade13 There is no “bumper cam” in Gran Turismo. It’s called “Normal View”. The camera is not on the bumper as it is in other games. It’s an invisible cockpit. Please edit your poll.

Are you sure about that? It seems to sit awfully low (my only gripe). If you get really close to a car in front, your line of sight is just below the taillights, around where the numberplate would go.

Last edited:
Made the switch to cockpit view back in GT5 after endless hours in hood & bumper view in GT4 :D so never bothered to try anything else in GT sport.

Some tips for Cockpit Users, try to put the TV just behind the wheel base and adjust the height/distance in Advance Setting to match the size if your steering.

In this video I go much further by using wheel extender , so I can drop my 40 inch TV much more lower and enjoy natural view of the cockpit.

Id love to play cockpit view with no/limited HUD but unfortunately you can't see your fuel or adjust traction or brake balance without HUD on.
Its too cluttered.

Back