• Thread starter Lanius1984
  • 317 comments

Which Wheel would you choose?

• Thrustmaster T300RS

Votes: 202 69.9%
  • Logitech G29

Votes: 87 30.1%

• Total voters
Do people advise the Ferrari GTE wheel or the normal one? I'm just looking through different sites and I can get the Ferrari wheel for €40 cheaper. Is there any major distinction between them? Like the amount of buttons or something?

Do people advise the Ferrari GTE wheel or the normal one? I'm just looking through different sites and I can get the Ferrari wheel for €40 cheaper. Is there any major distinction between them? Like the amount of buttons or something?
no difference, the only difference is that ferrari one is better looking

no difference, the only difference is that ferrari one is better looking

Thanks, yeah the Ferrari wheel does look nice. I still prefer the plain blue one I found on a review, looked amazing! It's quite scary buying off a Spanish site, making 100% sure that the pedals are included :)

Also a bit annoyed at Logitech, but that pedal set with the T300 just looks like utter rubbish (you might be able to add some resistance with some creative bungie-cord use though). What have the reviews said?

I currently have a T500, which already failed once, and which now has a "slightly loud" cooling fan. (My Fanatec also bit the dust). In all, either myself or my direct family has a total of 4 Logitech wheels (2xDFP and 2xG25), all of which have been 100% reliable and each of which as at least 4x the mileage of either the T500 or the Fanatec when they died. The Logitech wheels date from the days of GT4... Meaning, that in my experience, the Logitech wheels have been something like 16x as reliable as the "better" wheels (and still counting). Soooo, I would have to say go with the Logitech. A very good wheel in terms of the feedback (not as good as my T500, but still quite good) and excellent pedals for the price. Plus a decent shifter if you ever do want to get one.

Last edited:
I am genuinely curious as to why Fanatec's offerings aren't within the poll.

Brand new from Fanatec:

329.95 EU - Porsche 911 GT2 Wheel -
99.95 EU - CSR Pedals

Import taxes and shipping that much a deterrent?

The GT3 is cheaper and same basic wheel just no XBox360 support.
GT3 239.95 EU

I would go with the CSR Elite or Club Sport pedals though. The load cell on the brake makes a huge difference.

I got to play with the G29 at E3... Long and short of it? It's a G25/7. Maybe a "squishier" brake peddle but they feel exactly the same.

If you like the G series? Great, If your indifrent then I would suggest a higher end wheel. An extra $100 gets you 10x better wheel.

Personally I'd hoped they would be more like the older Fanatec 911... Still a great wheel for the price.

T300RS is belt driven, which gives you a much more smoother and solid feel of the FFB input. Plus, Thrustmaster built quality is way ahead of anything I had from Logitech (I had both G25 and G27, now I own a T500RS). Plus, from what I've heard is cheaper.

To me, is a no-brainer.

Hi folks.. thought i'd post here as its a problem i'm about to encounter.

I have the G27 wheel (which i love)! i use it all the time with GT 5 and GT 6. Its super reliable and the feedback from the wheel is really nice. you feel every bump in the road and when hitting the curbs! The pedals are also really good, great feel to all the pedals with the brake being that bit harder and the clutch travel is really good... However....

Given that i cant use my Logitec G27 wheel with project cars and.. the only reason for this is so i have to go buy a Logitec G29!! the questions is, as the thread starter has asked. Do you go buy the new Logitec wheel, reluctantly (which i'm sure will be very good and certainly has a premium look to it) or... and this is where my problem differs slightly.. Go down the fanatec route?

I know a full Fanatec set up will be expensive but it seems they are the leading edge in sim racing and the kit does seem that much more premium in quality (going from reviews)

cheers,

Matt

Hi folks.. thought i'd post here as its a problem i'm about to encounter.

I have the G27 wheel (which i love)! i use it all the time with GT 5 and GT 6. Its super reliable and the feedback from the wheel is really nice. you feel every bump in the road and when hitting the curbs! The pedals are also really good, great feel to all the pedals with the brake being that bit harder and the clutch travel is really good... However....

Given that i cant use my Logitec G27 wheel with project cars and.. the only reason for this is so i have to go buy a Logitec G29!! the questions is, as the thread starter has asked. Do you go buy the new Logitec wheel, reluctantly (which i'm sure will be very good and certainly has a premium look to it) or... and this is where my problem differs slightly.. Go down the fanatec route?

I know a full Fanatec set up will be expensive but it seems they are the leading edge in sim racing and the kit does seem that much more premium in quality (going from reviews)

cheers,

Matt
The problem right now is that there are only 3 fully licensed and therefore guaranteed supported wheels on the PS4:
- Thrustmaster T80 (bungee cord, avoid)
- Thrustmaster T300
- Logitech G29

So far, Fanatec wrote drivers for their wheels on the PS4, but have no licensing in place with Sony. They got those drivers embedded into Project CARS and F1 2015, as is seen here:
http://blog.codemasters.com/f1/06/f1-2015-supported-wheels-and-controllers/
http://www.projectcarsgame.com/beyond-reality.html
But there's no guarantee Fanatec will agree with PD for Fanatec drivers to be inserted into GT7 when it is finally released. Fanatec hasn't yet got Driveclub support for their wheels (despite Driveclub adding G29 support in the latest patch), and since Driveclub and GT7 are the two "first party Sony" games on the console, I have some doubts as to whether they will manage to negotiate full wheel support inside GT7.

Worst case, you buy a Fanatec wheel and pedal set and it turns out to work great on the PS3 and inside pCARS/F1 2015 on the PS4, but compatibility doesn't materialize for future titles on the PS4. That's a risk you will need to assess for yourself.

The benefit of going Thrustmaster or Logitech is that with their official licensing their wheels are guaranteed to be supported in all future PS4 games.

The problem right now is that there are only 3 fully licensed and therefore guaranteed supported wheels on the PS4:
- Thrustmaster T80 (bungee cord, avoid)
- Thrustmaster T300
- Logitech G29

So far, Fanatec wrote drivers for their wheels on the PS4, but have no licensing in place with Sony. They got those drivers embedded into Project CARS and F1 2015, as is seen here:
http://blog.codemasters.com/f1/06/f1-2015-supported-wheels-and-controllers/
http://www.projectcarsgame.com/beyond-reality.html
But there's no guarantee Fanatec will agree with PD for Fanatec drivers to be inserted into GT7 when it is finally released. Fanatec hasn't yet got Driveclub support for their wheels (despite Driveclub adding G29 support in the latest patch), and since Driveclub and GT7 are the two "first party Sony" games on the console, I have some doubts as to whether they will manage to negotiate full wheel support inside GT7.

Worst case, you buy a Fanatec wheel and pedal set and it turns out to work great on the PS3 and inside pCARS/F1 2015 on the PS4, but compatibility doesn't materialize for future titles on the PS4. That's a risk you will need to assess for yourself.

The benefit of going Thrustmaster or Logitech is that with their official licensing their wheels are guaranteed to be supported in all future PS4 games.

This is why Fanatec was never part of my original post. I wanted guaranteed support for the lifetime of the PS4, as looking at the Logitech fiasco I did not want to find myself in a similar situation with another manufacturer.

I placed an order for the T300 RS, but it's still not here :(... Not sure how long the lead time is at the moment. Nothing that has been said in this thread since I made this decision has made me re-evaluate.

Once I receive it, and get some decent time with it, I'll update the post with my feedback - may help someone else.

Ah right, thanks for explaining. i didn't realise that the fanactec gear wasn't fully PS4 supported.

If i could get my G 27 working with Project cars none of this would be an issue but me and for people like me with their G27's gathering dust while they struggle with a DS4... we're reluctant to be forced into "biting the bullet" and buying the latest Logitec product.

that said, i loved my G 27

Ah right, thanks for explaining. i didn't realise that the fanactec gear wasn't fully PS4 supported.

If i could get my G 27 working with Project cars none of this would be an issue but me and for people like me with their G27's gathering dust while they struggle with a DS4... we're reluctant to be forced into "biting the bullet" and buying the latest Logitec product.

that said, i loved my G 27

I was in the same boat, albeit with a cheaper Logitech wheel to start with. I decided to jump as I was getting tired of waiting around hoping Logitech would find some value in proper after sales service!

The new Logitech will work on PC though, they just provided some poor information.

Best wheel I had so far was the G25 and G27. Logitech customer's service was perfect. Only one little problem with the shifter's reverse and a potmeter of the G25, which was replaced by Logitech by better potmeters in the G27.

One and a half month ago, I bought the T300RS. Good wheel but not that much better than the G27. But the T300RS doesn't have that jerky, rough FFB feeling as the G-series and it has 1080° of rotation.
But ..... after having the T300RS for a little over a month I had to return it a couple of days ago. The USB connector was fautly. After two weeks the wheel started to make strange sounds but these sounds went away. In the end, before I returned the T300RS, I got stuck at 1050° (around 97 or was it 98.7% to the right and 2.2% to the left. I couldn't use the full 1080° anymore)

I don't trust Thrustmaster that much anymore. I still believe that the Logitech wheels are the most reliable wheels on the market.

If @Fanatec... wheels were reliable, I definitely would have bought a Fanatec a long time ago. I trust @Fanatec... even less than I trust thrustmaster.

So there are only three options left:

* Stop gaming (again :D)

* Build my own OSW.

* Get a G29 (less likely but never say never .....)

I also just read that thee new Logitech wheel doesn't work on PC. ?
It does! Don't worry.

I just downloaded the G29 32 and 64-bit drivers for the pc.

Form the Logitech gaming site:

For PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4
Enhance your console experience
You will never want to race with a regular controller again after you add Driving Force to your controller selection.

G29 game steering wheel is designed for the latest racing games for your PlayStation®4 or PlayStation®3 console. G29 Driving Force also works on your PC using Logitech Gaming Software.

Ah, thats great news that it will work with the PC. I also intend to get into gaming on the PC in time.

So i guess i'm going to have to get the new Logitech wheel... I knew it would come to this. I hear really good things about the thrust master wheels (except for the pedals)

Just noted as well that the 6 speed shifter (which i loved on my G27) is an optional extra at £50 when buying the new wheel but it looks to be exactly the same design... shame on you Logitech, you cant just repackage the same product and charge more for it you evil B******!

Ah, thats great news that it will work with the PC. I also intend to get into gaming on the PC in time.

So i guess i'm going to have to get the new Logitech wheel... I knew it would come to this. I hear really good things about the thrust master wheels (except for the pedals)

Just noted as well that the 6 speed shifter (which i loved on my G27) is an optional extra at £50 when buying the new wheel but it looks to be exactly the same design... shame on you Logitech, you cant just repackage the same product and charge more for it you evil B******!

Just out of interest, why are you not considering the Thrustmaster T300 though?

People here in this thread have comprehensively given their preference to it over the Logitech G29... it is also PC compatible, and the FFB is better than Logitech's G series by all accounts.

Not attempting to get you to change your mind, but you don't seem to have considered this as an option at all?

Here's my thoughts,why would anyone support a company,that doesn't support its customers? Could you imagine if Sony said,sorry we make the PS4 now, so the only controllers we now support is PS4 controllers. They work on PS3, so now you have to buy them.

A couple of days ago I found out that there is a new package to build an OSW. If you're not on a budget and you're only playing pc games than this is the wheel to get.

I think I'm going to get that package but I'm not sure yet. It's only £725 for an entire package, which includes the servo drive, rim, Powersupply etc... .

:D

what is OSW?

I'm not sure why i haven't considered the thrustmaster to be honest. I know when i got the G27 (as a gift) i remember looking into the thrustmaster and thinking it was slightly better. it was more expensive for sure at the time.

what the difference between the T300 RS and the T300 ferrari GTE?

are the pro pedals and shifter any good? the pedals look awesome and the shifter looks a lot better than the G27 one

@kikie - Do it!! It will sound ridiculous to many, but that's a bargain.

To those looking at Fanatec gear - If going all the way to the top with a CSW V2 is an option, genuine PS4 or Xbox One compatibility will/is possible with the right rim.

what is OSW?

I'm not sure why i haven't considered the thrustmaster to be honest. I know when i got the G27 (as a gift) i remember looking into the thrustmaster and thinking it was slightly better. it was more expensive for sure at the time.

what the difference between the T300 RS and the T300 ferrari GTE?

are the pro pedals and shifter any good? the pedals look awesome and the shifter looks a lot better than the G27 one

T300RS and GTE is the same thing except for the wheel itself. I haven't tried either the shifter or pro pedals myself, but I have read reviews from others and they were very positive, especially the conical brake mod with the pro pedals. I'm going to get one myself once it comes back in stock.

what is OSW?
Self-build expensive industrial motor components and controllers into a very powerful PC-only steering wheel. DIY skills required.

The Thrustmaster T3PA-Pro pedals are identical to the T500 pedals except with the addition of the conical brake mod. There are many happy T500 pedal users: Good sturdy pedals, although the throw is shorter than Fanatec pedals.

The conical brake mod (like the basherboards 3rd party mod which T500 users have often implemented) provides the same kind of progressive braking feel as a Fanatec load cell.... not identical but in terms of end result there's little difference, both give you more control braking because your brake foot is not just remembering a % travel to brake a specific amount, instead braking is more about how much force you apply.

Personally I prefer my T500 pedals to my Fanatec clubsport v1 pedals, but I know I'm strange on that front.

Fanatec have always piggy backed off Logitech drivers, so if Logitech is supported so is Fanatec, but there are likely some bugs being worked out since everything is so new...

I've not tried my CSW v2 on PS4 or Xbone yet but support will improve. I went PC and not sure if I can come back to console... But for feel, the Fanatecs have been my go-to wheel for years.

My T3PA-PRO pedals arrived yesterday and I had my first go with them last night .... A massive difference to the feel of the game .... goodbye and good riddance autoclutch, although it has obviously slowed my laptimes slightly and missed shifts have caused a few problems lol ... but I'll get used to the new driving style in no time :)

There's a world of difference in the feel of the brake pedal, I would recommend the thrustmaster setup to anybody, well worth the money :sly:

Now I just have to get my tools out and adapt my wheelstand so I can change sides with my shifter and alter it to the H pattern gearbox when the car I'm using has one :D

My T3PA-PRO pedals arrived yesterday and I had my first go with them last night .... A massive difference to the feel of the game .... goodbye and good riddance autoclutch, although it has obviously slowed my laptimes slightly and missed shifts have caused a few problems lol ... but I'll get used to the new driving style in no time :)

There's a world of difference in the feel of the brake pedal, I would recommend the thrustmaster setup to anybody, well worth the money :sly:

Now I just have to get my tools out and adapt my wheelstand so I can change sides with my shifter and alter it to the H pattern gearbox when the car I'm using has one :D

Do you have the thrustmaster H pattern shifter? It looks like an awesome bit of kit but i was pricing up a thrustmaster set up (including the T300 RS, Pro pedals (which look awesome and you can flip the pedals round!!) and the shifter and it was not cheep haha

Do you have the thrustmaster H pattern shifter? It looks like an awesome bit of kit but i was pricing up a thrustmaster set up (including the T300 RS, Pro pedals (which look awesome and you can flip the pedals round!!) and the shifter and it was not cheep haha

Yep I have the shifter, it can be altered between H pattern and sequential .... mine's currently set in sequential mode .... but dying to try it out in H pattern though, need to adapt my rig first.

No, it's not cheap, but it's totally immersive ... fun factor is off the scale

The TH8A shifter is my favourite bit of simracing kit of all the wheels and pedals and shifters that I own. Lovely bit of kit to use.

A few comments to give you a realistic idea of the pros and cons:
1. It takes a few minutes to switch from sequential to H-shift mode (including unscrewing stuff and replacing the plate), which is a bit annoying. I think most of us leave our shifter in the preferred mode, rather than regularly switching over.
2. The sequential mode is OK, but not as awesome as the H-shift mode because the spring construction doesn't have quite the same physical impact as the lovely 7-speed clunk. Which is why mine is always left in H-mode and I either use paddles or H-mode, not sequential shifter.
3. I also own a G25 shifter and Fanatec Porsche shifter set. I tried both on many occasions, but hated the lack of precision in H-mode. In comparison I found myself enjoying the TH8A straight away, and my mis-shifts rate was tiny right from the start.
4. The clamp on the shifter is excellent, as is the mounting approach, but it's a big device and won't fit everywhere. Mounting it on the desk next to your wheel is a little too high given the height of the shifter shaft.

In summary, the TH8A finally got me to enjoy H-shifting in race sims. A huge win :)

Back