Wheel drifting

Scotland
Glasgow
R35-SKYL1N3
L3TH4L H1TM4N
I can drift great using ds3 but with a wheel I nearly break my wrists trying to catch it never mind hold it, any tips would be greatly appreciated and also what settings I should have wheel on?

Try lowering you FFB, when I first started in GT5 I couldn't take the ffb at 2, I know <facepalm> then I moved to 7 and thats what I use now. Also try looking at some real life onboard drift movies. They might help. BTW what wheel do you use? :D

Yes, you're obviously right, that guide will be no use to him at all, it's not exactly what he was looking for at all. Forgive my stupidity.

Not saying it was stupid, but I tried guides like that before and they only do so much. If you really want to learn you need an actual wheel drifter there instructing you.

Hand of hand and when you're in a slide, let your top hand off the wheel and guide with your bottom hand. When you're coming out of a corner and need to throw it fast, you're basically stuck with the pain.

I've noticed that a lot of people advise lowering the ffb in an effort to make wheel drifting easier. My advice is the exact opposite: raise the ffb to the max of 10..I only say so because if you're having trouble fighting or catching the wheel, that's part of the problem. If you're fighting the wheel it means that your front is losing traction, which should only be applicable to reverse/extreme angle drifts. Just like under normal driving conditions, the front wheels ultimately determine the direction of travel. My advice then is to work w/ the wheel. A ffb setting of 10 allows for the weight of the car to do the countersteering for you. As far as catching the wheel, let it slide in your hands instead of simply letting it go, that way you can adjust the speed the wheel spins mid transition, instead of banking on catching the wheel in the correct position.

I'm having a similar problem just upgraded from a controller to a g 27 set up cant drift great with the controller but i'm struggling with the wheel, i can initiate the drift and get it around most of the corner but i spin out at the end when trying to catch it almost every time, it feels a bit vague and like i'm guessing what to do. i end up spinning at the end of pretty much every drift i start, any tips on the matter would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Uhmmm aren't you on drop5???? Anyway add me on psn. I'll have you drifting in 10-15min

This man speaks the truth!!! I could link a track with no problems on a controller, bought the g27 and was having issues even though I have lots of real life experience of drifting cars and streetbikes. anyways he helped me out a lot!! Having the g27 plugged in before turning on the ps3 was pretty major too!!!

Hey DriFtZz, check out the e-brake I built

001.jpg

this man speaks the truth!!! I could link a track with no problems on a controller, bought the g27 and was having issues even though i have lots of real life experience of drifting cars and streetbikes. Anyways he helped me out a lot!! Having the g27 plugged in before turning on the ps3 was pretty major too!!!

Hey driftzz, check out the e-brake i built

001.jpg

ugh!!! I still need to make one

I use a dfp occasionally on gt5 my advice is , keep ffb on 5, power steering on and simulation steering its easier on this setting IMO. Using a high ffb will kill the wheel and it really doesnt help drifting, with less ffb you can straighten out easier and initiate easier ;)

Dont try the rag the wheel around to much (this was my problem) . You need to be smooth and slow and gradually build up your technique. The TVR Tamora from the recommended garage is very easy to hold in a slide so try using that for a while.

Cheers for the tips guess ill just have to keep practicing, using a s13 at the moment think i might's as well stick at it now iv started.

The bit i'm struggling with the most is right at the end of the drift trying to straighten out i can get all the way round fine a lot of the time but then just spin out trying to go straight again..

whitey51
The bit i'm struggling with the most is right at the end of the drift trying to straighten out i can get all the way round fine a lot of the time but then just spin out trying to go straight again..

A little more throttle controll maybe?

Found some settings for the s 13 on here and now i'm feeling loads better already, was far too twitchy with the settings i had on previously from the controller. progressing now so practice makes perfect and all that ;)

I just started wheel drifting the other day as well. If any one would be so kind as to instruct me on the basic methods in a lounge I'd appreciate it. Guides don't seem to help with this subject due to the fact that it's written, and usually quite limited.

Back