Wheel L.S.D settings

• Thread starter Mcrsmokey
  • 86 comments
Thanks for sharing this Smokey. If I get the time tonight, I'll be tuning up a few of my drift cars and give this a try.

Thanks for sharing this Smokey. If I get the time tonight, I'll be tuning up a few of my drift cars and give this a try.
No problem give it a try and post your thoughts. If you find any good LSD settings please post them thanks.

Ye I found it works best on missiles . I've been experimenting and found 5 40 20 feels quite good on most cars too. I'm glad people are trying my advice, this thread is getting pretty helpful.
Just to put one thing straight on 5 5 5 both my wheels spin up like its locked strange really I haven't seen just one wheel spinning like people are saying.
Same here. On the other hand with 5 60 60 there is lots of times where I see only one wheel spinning.

I run 7/30/15 on about every drift car and have been since GT5. Some are 7/35/15. But hey what works for me wont help everyone, but maybe might help someone, I'm just here to have fun.

Started finally playing with these setting last night. Wow! Crazy how much different it all is from GT5. Tuned up a Chaser last night, working with this new diff tune model. Helped a lot! Thanks Smokey! I'll smoke one in your honor!

Very true.

But guys, try 20/35/35. Change the acceleration based on the torque band. The quicker the torque kicks in the slower the acceleration. Just an option for you guys to try. Let me know if it works for you.
Wow, it works! For real, tried it on my S13 and it works wonder now! So stable under less throotle.

Hi all i need help, i can´t drift to save my life :(
any help on setup of the car for Drift challenge round 1 plz i need help :)
I never did any drifting before normaly I just jump over the "silly" thing :)
But more and more Racing sims have it and I feel like it´s time to take the bull by the horns and get in to it.

Wow, it works! For real, tried it on my S13 and it works wonder now! So stable under less throotle.

And what does it do when you floor it?

Frankly, I'm using a 5 60 5 diff, which is the equal of a 1-way, if I'm correct. Cars feel fine. :)

Hey guys this is my findings with the lsd settings give it a try before you bash it.

Ok with CH tires I find a 2 way setup to much e.g 5-60-60 the front tires do not grip enough I find understeer a constant problem after market lsd settings are fine for ch maybe just lower initial torque.

Try a 2-way lsd on CS tires and watch the difference you can actually feel the lsd working. The front tires are more than capable of holding and for once you can actually steer the car with throttle.

So can someone give it a go tell me what they think. I know my under steer doesn't come form suspension settings my sus is fine. A wheel user would be preferred but I cant see why it shouldn't work for ds3.👍

Hey guys this is my findings with the lsd settings give it a try before you bash it.

Ok with CH tires I find a 2 way setup to much e.g 5-60-60 the front tires do not grip enough I find understeer a constant problem after market lsd settings are fine for ch maybe just lower initial torque.

Try a 2-way lsd on CS tires and watch the difference you can actually feel the lsd working. The front tires are more than capable of holding and for once you can actually steer the car with throttle.

So can someone give it a go tell me what they think. I know my under steer doesn't come form suspension settings my sus is fine. A wheel user would be preferred but I cant see why it shouldn't work for ds3.👍

I'm testing out your theory now and I'm liking it. A different feel, but much less understeer.

Edit: Comfort medium seems to be the ticket for me.

Last edited:
My L.S.D experience on Gran Turismo

Initial torque means that torque is required for locking diff. In 5 little torque is needed to achieve the lock (welded differential). in acceleration and braking is the same.

5/5/5 - welded diff
60/60/60 - viscous diff
XX/5/60 - 1 way diff
XX/5/30 - 1.5 way diff
XX/5/5 - 2 way diff

XX represents the initial torque, I recommend for low HP as close to 5 and 60 for high HP. if you run 500HP 30 is fine

My L.S.D experience on Gran Turismo

Initial torque means that torque is required for locking diff. In 5 little torque is needed to achieve the lock (welded differential). in acceleration and braking is the same.

Initial torque / Acceleration / Deceleration.
5/5/5 - open diff
60/60/60 - viscous diff
5/60/5 - 1 way diff
5/50/30 - 1.5 way diff
5/60/60 - 2 way diff

XX represents the initial torque, I recommend for low HP as close to 5 and 60 for high HP. if you run 500HP 30 is fine

I corrected your post, this is what a person thinks that definitely knows what he is talking about. :)

Not true. The whole purpose of an LSD is to increase traction.
In the REAL WORLD it works like this:
Open diff = More manoeuvrability, less traction and stability.
Locked diff = More traction and stability, less manoeuvrability.

IDEALLY you want to run 5/60/60 with most setups, but some cars work better with a 5/60/30 setup (those which have less grip when off-gas). It can also be down to personal preference and driving style.
In the real world, a LOT of japanese drifters use 1.5-way diffs for some reason, but then most Euro and US drifters either use a 2-way, a MIG diff, or a spool, all of which function in a similar way on and off-gas, the only difference between them being how they respond when you dip the clutch.

The tighter your diff setting on acceleration, the more direct the link will be between throttle/rpm/outside rear wheel speed. And the outside rear-wheel is the one which does all the accelerating and gripping when in a drift. Less lock in the diff will make the car more 'sloppy' when initiating, while a tighter setting will make the car's responses more immediate.

Hope that makes sense, but if not, let me know and I'll try to go into more detail. :)

i have a question that ,do you all must setup L.S.D,when getting a new car to drift?
if a car without L.S.D , it will be snap back easily in every corner?
so L.S.D just make GT6 played like GT5??RIGHT?

i have a question that ,do you all must setup L.S.D,when getting a new car to drift?
if a car without L.S.D , it will be snap back easily in every corner?
so L.S.D just make GT6 played like GT5??RIGHT?

No it won't make it just like GT5. But it will make the car better. :)

After much tuning, for a DS3 and wheel, I've been using 27/37/15 on my silvia. 27 is low enough to allow a full lock under throttle with the 37 making it less abrupt than 60, which was spinning me. 27 is also high enough to allow some slip off throttle combined with the 15 decel. It's certainly part preference, part car, part style. I feint and throttle over to initiate, if you e-brake, this might not work so well for you.

My car is set with -toe and high damper/abr settings, adding throttle makes it step out and gain angle, letting off the throttle produces more grip (thanks to the toed out wheels and non-locked diff under decel) and reduces the slip angle. This makes it very easy to balance.

On the Streets of Willow skidpad, I was easily doing 5-10 loops on the line without spinning or losing the slide. No problem doing laps of Tsukuba sideways, the car is very stable in it's slip angle.

After much tuning, for a DS3 and wheel, I've been using 27/37/15 on my silvia. 27 is low enough to allow a full lock under throttle
27 does allow for locking, but not too soon. Then again... With your setup you will NEVER lock, so that statement is kind of incorrect.

with the 37 making it less abrupt than 60, which was spinning me. 27 is also high enough to allow some slip off throttle combined with the 15 decel. It's certainly part preference, part car, part style. I feint and throttle over to initiate, if you e-brake, this might not work so well for you.

Using a differential that is not fully locked because it is easier, is just like cyclists in the Tour de France to use wheels on the sides.

My car is set with -toe and high damper/abr settings, adding throttle makes it step out and gain angle, letting off the throttle produces more grip (thanks to the toed out wheels and non-locked diff under decel) and reduces the slip angle. This makes it very easy to balance.

What you said about the differential is correct. But I'd suggest trying to get rid of the camber, and use a 0 front , 0.20 rear toe settings. To get to know the car a lot better. Camber and Toe make the car unpredictable, imo. :)

On the Streets of Willow skidpad, I was easily doing 5-10 loops on the line without spinning or losing the slide. No problem doing laps of Tsukuba sideways, the car is very stable in it's slip angle.

Try doing the same with a locked diff. That will teach you car control.

27 does allow for locking, but not too soon. Then again... With your setup you will NEVER lock, so that statement is kind of incorrect.
He meant wheel lock not diff lock.

And did you compare a diff setting to having training wheels? And when we spoke on facebook before you blocked me you accused me of comparing diffs to sexual preference when I was actually comparing the attitude. Anyway, that very rude comment when I came into the lobby the other day was hilarious.

He meant wheel lock not diff lock.

And did you compare a diff setting to having training wheels? And when we spoke on facebook before you blocked me you accused me of comparing diffs to sexual preference when I was actually comparing the attitude. Anyway, that very rude comment when I came into the lobby the other day was hilarious.

I blocked you, because you are bad at getting hints. Leave me alone.

Damn, another diff thread turns into a stupid arguement about what is right and what is wrong.

Not sayin any names, but I think there are a few people in this thread that are making some giant assumptions and oversights when interpreting the GT6 LSD.

I think it's time we separate the facts from the un-facts.

Fact #1: there are no units attached to any of the LSD settings. The GT6 LSD is a video game interpretation of a real world LSD, but the three adjustable parameters do not come from the real world. Suspension and transmission tuning in Gran Turismo are representations of real world tuning. LSD tuning is an interpretation of real world tuning.

I'm starring at the stock LSD settings for the Blitz ER34 Skyline '07, which are 07/30/15. Now, I ask, 7 whats?? 30 of what?? Answer: we don't know.

Fact #2: There are multiple cars in the game which come with stock LSD settings which fall outside the parameters of the adjustable LSD. For example, the Scion FR-S has stock settings of 50/80/00.

Now, based on the fact that an Accel value of 80 is within the acceptable parameters of the game, I can make the logical assumption that an Accel value of 60 is less lock that 80. (Also, remember that with GT5 HEX modding, people were running diff settings like 00/100/100, and the game still accepted it.)

Based on those two facts, the most logical assumption one can make about the three adjustable LSD values is that they represent "percentages of lock", and are therefore part of a scale that runs from 0% to 100%. This is just a logical guess though, not a fact.

Now, this is just my personal opinion, but based on the information above, I feel that anyone making claims of "setting x/y/z is a locked diff" is completely out to lunch. Yes, 5/60/60 has more lock than 5/5/5, but 5/60/60 is not fully locked.

I am of the opinion that there is no such thing as a fully locked diff in Gran Turismo...rather there is an adjustable LSD which allows you to control some lock, but does not allow for full lock.

(I can't provide evidence, but I'm almost positive I've one-wheel-peeled every LSD setting there is, be it 5/60/60 or 60/60/60, or anything else).

To anyone reading this, the best advice I can offer in regards to tuning the LSD is to spend some time playing with it yourself. Read the in-game descriptions. Then take a car out, do a few laps, adjust ONE (1) setting, do a few more laps, and see how things feel. Once you get a handle on how each of the 3 settings changes the car's behavior, you will be able to set up your diff exactly how you like it, and change it from one car to another.

And don't worry about these people saying "well if you ain't runnin 5/60/60, you ain't driftin' with a locked diff", because based on the limited info the game gives us, they ain't driftin no fully locked diff either (IMO, of course).

Damn, another diff thread turns into a stupid arguement about what is right and what is wrong.

Not sayin any names, but I think there are a few people in this thread that are making some giant assumptions and oversights when interpreting the GT6 LSD.

I think it's time we separate the facts from the un-facts.

Fact #1: there are no units attached to any of the LSD settings. The GT6 LSD is a video game interpretation of a real world LSD, but the three adjustable parameters do not come from the real world. Suspension and transmission tuning in Gran Turismo are representations of real world tuning. LSD tuning is an interpretation of real world tuning.

I'm starring at the stock LSD settings for the Blitz ER34 Skyline '07, which are 07/30/15. Now, I ask, 7 whats?? 30 of what?? Answer: we don't know.

Fact #2: There are multiple cars in the game which come with stock LSD settings which fall outside the parameters of the adjustable LSD. For example, the Scion FR-S has stock settings of 50/80/00.

Now, based on the fact that an Accel value of 80 is within the acceptable parameters of the game, I can make the logical assumption that an Accel value of 60 is less lock that 80. (Also, remember that with GT5 HEX modding, people were running diff settings like 00/100/100, and the game still accepted it.)

Based on those two facts, the most logical assumption one can make about the three adjustable LSD values is that they represent "percentages of lock", and are therefore part of a scale that runs from 0% to 100%. This is just a logical guess though, not a fact.

Now, this is just my personal opinion, but based on the information above, I feel that anyone making claims of "setting x/y/z is a locked diff" is completely out to lunch. Yes, 5/60/60 has more lock than 5/5/5, but 5/60/60 is not fully locked.

I am of the opinion that there is no such thing as a fully locked diff in Gran Turismo...rather there is an adjustable LSD which allows you to control some lock, but does not allow for full lock.

(I can't provide evidence, but I'm almost positive I've one-wheel-peeled every LSD setting there is, be it 5/60/60 or 60/60/60, or anything else).

To anyone reading this, the best advice I can offer in regards to tuning the LSD is to spend some time playing with it yourself. Read the in-game descriptions. Then take a car out, do a few laps, adjust ONE (1) setting, do a few more laps, and see how things feel. Once you get a handle on how each of the 3 settings changes the car's behavior, you will be able to set up your diff exactly how you like it, and change it from one car to another.

And don't worry about these people saying "well if you ain't runnin 5/60/60, you ain't driftin' with a locked diff", because based on the limited info the game gives us, they ain't driftin no fully locked diff either (IMO, of course).

So, basically what you are saying is: "You can not lock your diff in Gran Turismo completely (which I agree with, 5 60 60 is not completely locked, but it is as close as we can get), so it doesn't matter at all what you do with it!"

The argument that 5 60 60 isn't a complete lock, is completely irrelevant. It's as close to full lock as we can get, so it should be used.

So, basically what you are saying is: "You can not lock your diff in Gran Turismo completely (which I agree with, 5 60 60 is not completely locked, but it is as close as we can get), so it doesn't matter at all what you do with it!"

The argument that 5 60 60 isn't a complete lock, is completely irrelevant. It's as close to full lock as we can get, so it should be used.
yeah well not everyone likes how 5 60 60 feels. I agree with twitch on everything and people should use what ever feels right for the car. Also, I'd like to point out that 5 60 60 will feel different on all cars. You should tune the car around the driver's style.

And you said yourself you drift 5 60 5, shouldn't you be using 5 60 60?

Latest Posts

Back