Where will your DR be months from now? A prediction with Microsoft Excel & Kudos Prime (w/tutorial)

United States
Indiana
pie4july
Hello everyone! Have you ever wondered where your DR will be in X amount of days? If so, I have a way you can predict it via combining the power of Microsoft Excel (or similar program) and your Gran Turismo SPORT statistics provided kudosprime. If you're unfamiliar with kudosprime, I will refer you to here (https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/your-dr-sr-progress-tracker-provided-by-kudosprime.372590/).

Note: The following explanation and tutorial is done through Excel

By using Microsoft Excel, I was able to predict where my Dr will be in twice the time from now. As of this post, I have raced on 101 different days on GT SPORT and my Dr pts are currently 31,963 (Very low Dr A. Kudosprime stats- http://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=1499305).

My question was simple, where will my Dr given the same amount of time in the future? To illuminate the answer, I forecasted my data with a Microsoft Excel algorithm and found that by day 203, I will be Dr 60,233 (Med. Dr S) and this data is seen in fig. one.

upload_2018-3-25_22-50-21.png

Figure one - This is a combined scatter plot on my Dr history (days 0-101), and the futurecasted data (days 102-203). The forecasted data is the straight blue line and the orange line is the trend line. The forecasted data is essentially an average (like a trend line), so it does not feature peaks or valleys.

I was very surprised to see this data. Can I truly achieve Dr S so soon? Well, lets test the method. To check my hypothesis, I decided to use my Dr from days 0-50 to forecast what my Dr would look like from days 51-101 under this algorithm. If the method is truly accurate, then the predicted Dr should be similar to what I currently have. This data is summarized in Fig. two.

upload_2018-3-25_23-7-4.png

Figure two - This is my actual DR history (blue line) with a solid orange line though it to see the trend of that data. The dotted orange line is where my predicted Dr should be today.

My predicted Dr on day 101 is 25,540 which is 5,853 pts lower than my actual Dr. I believe the reason for the slight difference in this data set is because of the large spike in my Dr between days 91 and 92 where I gained 10,000+ Dr points (by far my largest single day change in my Dr). This is a reflection of my best day ever on GT sport (and is not exactly accurate of who I usually am) where I put in my best lap ever at my best track, Interlagos, and earned multiple poles and wins. Because of this large Dr spike, I believe this has skewed the data and if not for it, I believe my dotted orange line would be far closer to the actual trend of my Dr.

Based off that, it seems to be that the prediction algorithm truly does work. To best test how it works, I ask everyone to predict their Dr and post their results in this thread. Note: Alien drivers may not get an accurate prediction due to topping out at 75,000 Dr, and as @DriftMethod mentioned, high S drivers typically gain fewer pts and have more to lose. Drivers who either purposely altered their Dr/Sr or frequently jump/fall large gaps may also not have a lot of success with this. This method may also be unreliable to those who have only played for a short amount of time, as there will not be enough data for the program. The more irregularities in the data, the less accurate the prediction will be.

I believe my test is a solid example because my Dr has a clear trend. I have lots of peaks and valleys, but I am always climbing higher. It's just a little skewed when I take a large step up. Regardless, I suggest everyone try and post your results. I am very curious to see how this will work out.

An argument against this method being unreliable would be to point out that the data does not factor increasing competition strength and it may actually take me much longer to reach Dr S (if I ever do). I do not think that argument has merit, and I DO believe this data factors increasing competition strength. Why? Because that is exactly what your Driver Rating is supposed to account for. As I increase my Dr, I become paired with drivers of similar talent. If they are too fast for me, then I fall in Dr. But as I continuously learn, I get faster and my Dr rises once again. This is represented by the peaks and valleys of my Dr and with over 100 points, I believe this is enough data to fully represent my own learning curve. The ultimate test for this will be to see where my Dr truly is once I hit day 203. Of course though, as mentioned by @Robben eventually we will all peg out and plateau. This is definitely a possability and highly likely a if/when I enter Dr S. I definitely dont have ORMA snow speed haha. Because this data does factor your learning curve I believe it works for me and I think it may be accurate to a point. It just depends where my ultimate skill level is. Will it be where I am now, or will it be later in Dr A or can I continue to learn and progress as I have until now? By no means is this algorithm a "end all tell all". I figured it'd be more fun to work on than my thesis (it was). I can't wait to see how accurate this is by day 203.

------------------TUTORIAL------------------

So, how do you do this? I'll walk you through step by step and include my full excel sheet at the end of this post. Note: This tutorial is best for someone who is familiar with excel. I will not be going over basic nuances with the program, but feel free to ask any questions in the comments section or consult the internet as there are many guides/videos out there to help you with the process.

Step one: Copy/paste your Kudos Prime data into excel as seen by the light blue box. It should paste in without issue, especially if you consider using paste special command.
upload_2018-3-25_23-23-43.png

Step two: Right next to those columns create another day column and forecast to what ever day you would like. For me, I simply doubled the amount of time I played from 101 days to 203 days. The new day column is now in ascending order, this is okay.
upload_2018-3-25_23-31-54.png

Step three: Now it gets tricky. Next to the new day column (in my case H2) you will want to enter the prediction formula which is =FORECAST(G2,$B$2:$B$103,$A$2:$A$103) where G2 is my first predicted day, $B$2:$B$103 is my Dr history, and $A$2:$A$103 is the days played. This formula can be dragged down (Info here: https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...-for-mac-dd928259-622b-473f-9a33-83aa1a63e218) and you should notice that G2 will change to G3 and G4 as it is dragged down. The rest of the formula should be the same as it is hooked by $. Be sure to change the numbers to fit your data, as you may not be predicting to B/A103, it all depends on how many rows of data you have. If you follow my setup exactly, everything else should be the same.
upload_2018-3-25_23-43-23.png

And ta-da! You now have a predicted Dr history which you may now graph via a scatter plot. I will end my tutorial here and refer you to (https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...ne-chart-4570a80f-599a-4d6b-a155-104a9018b86e) if you are unfamiliar with scatter plots :)

The excel plot is attached below, please see sheet two.

Consider trying this method and be sure to post your data/graphs here! I hope this helps!

Attachments

• KudosPrimesTrendsThroughExcel.xlsx
    42.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Lovely idea!... but I just had stat class today and seeing anything solely related to that subject is hurting my head :ouch:
I'll try this out when I flush today's trauma out of my system

EDIT: Heheh, I'm gonna try this with Omega_Cipher1

Last edited:
Nice work and if you put that much dedication into your driving, I'm predicting that you'll get to DR S quickly.

A couple things I want to mention:

I'm not sure if you mentioned a constant number of races per day. That will definitely make a difference in any prediction like this.

The way DR points are calculated have been in your favor up until now. But soon it will not be in your favor. As you get to high A and S, most races will have few other drivers at your level and more at a lower level. So your points per race will be smaller and progress will slow. At the lower levels, getting a thousand or more points in one race isn't unheard of with a good result or a win. A win for a DR S rated driver is usually a couple hundred points if there aren't a lot of DR S drivers in the race. But one bad race can cost you a thousand points at that level.

Because the graph thing kinda confused me I just added a trend line to the visualisation of my DR points and set the forward trend to double the number of my existing data. 💡
I just don‘t know how to tell excel that the maximum number available is 75000 because atm it says by day 126 I‘ll have a DR of 120000 :lol:

@TheGeologist I think you need to accept that you will plateau... there will be a point that you reach where the strength of competition is just better and you won't be able to qualify high enough to get good results and keep increasing your ranking. See comments on Daily thread re: your qualifying time for Suzuka on Saturday versus mine, I think you said you got P6 or 5 and finished higher with a 2:11... I got a 2:09 and started 18th, 16th and 14th. This is after spending nearly 2 hours qualifying... I have reached my peak and, although I reckon there will be some gains along the way, I predict I will hover around 40000 which is where I've been for 8 days now

upload_2018-3-26_10-5-53.png

@Nuschel01 the god. 120000 DR :bowdown:

Edit:

So, I will be max DR by day 292... as much of an optimist that I am, I don't see this

upload_2018-3-26_10-17-43.png

Last edited:
Lovely idea!... but I just had stat class today and seeing anything solely related to that subject is hurting my head :ouch:
I'll try this out when I flush today's trauma out of my system

EDIT: Heheh, I'm gonna try this with Omega_Cipher1

That is even better, why don't you do some stats to back your findings up? ;)

Because the graph thing kinda confused me I just added a trend line to the visualisation of my DR points and set the forward trend to double the number of my existing data. 💡
I just don‘t know how to tell excel that the maximum number available is 75000 because atm it says by day 126 I‘ll have a DR of 120000 :lol:
yeah I figured it would get weird with high rated drivers... lol

@TheGeologist I think you need to accept that you will plateau... there will be a point that you reach where the strength of competition is just better and you won't be able to qualify high enough to get good results and keep increasing your ranking. See comments on Daily thread re: your qualifying time for Suzuka on Saturday versus mine, I think you said you got P6 or 5 and finished higher with a 2:11... I got a 2:09 and started 18th, 16th and 14th. This is after spending nearly 2 hours qualifying... I have reached my peak and, although I reckon there will be some gains along the way, I predict I will hover around 40000 which is where I've been for 8 days now

View attachment 724876

@Nuschel01 the god. 120000 DR :bowdown:

Edit:

So, I will be max DR by day 292... as much of an optimist that I am, I don't see this

View attachment 724878

Oh I totally agree. I forgot to mention this in the OP, I will have to wait it later. I definitely will peg out yet. I'm kinda expecting think I might peg out where I am now, but who knows. I really am getting better every time I play. I thought I would never get out of Dr B, and I said the same thing when I got to Dr C. Interestingly, I plateaued at low-medium B for a long time...

From day 56 to 78 my Sr never changed by more than 4000 pts http://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=1499305

Now that's a long plateau lol. So time will tell :)

Oh I totally agree. I forgot to mention this in the OP, I will have to wait it later. I definitely will peg out yet. I'm kinda expecting think I might peg out where I am now, but who knows. I really am getting better every time I play. I thought I would never get out of Dr B, and I said the same thing when I got to Dr C. Interestingly, I plateaued at low-medium B for a long time...

From day 56 to 78 my Sr never changed by more than 4000 pts http://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=1499305

Now that's a long plateau lol. So time will tell :)

Ah I thought, when you said "this argument has no merit", that you were saying you would continue improving and climbing regardless. I think there are two plateaus... the first is when you first reach a point of not gaining (your B plateau) and then you really turn your effort up and spend a long time qualifying for each race, to give yourself a good start and familiarity with the car/track. Then the second plateau (where I am now) is where you put all of this effort in, but you literally cannot get any more out of it.

Ah I thought, when you said "this argument has no merit", that you were saying you would continue improving and climbing regardless. I think there are two plateaus... the first is when you first reach a point of not gaining (your B plateau) and then you really turn your effort up and spend a long time qualifying for each race, to give yourself a good start and familiarity with the car/track. Then the second plateau (where I am now) is where you put all of this effort in, but you literally cannot get any more out of it.

I was saying that saying arguing this does not factor in the strength of the field is silly. It has to because that is the point of Dr. You are very correct though that we will all peg out and I failed to mention that. But because this data does factor your learning curve I believe it works for me and I think it may be accurate to a point. It just depends where my ultimate skill level is. Will it be where I am now, or can I continue to learn and progress as I have now? I can't wait to see by day 203

With my luck I'll totally 🤬 up and be Dr D :lol::lol::lol:

I've edited the OP multiple times now to clarify my argument. Thanks for all your input so far guys :) this is fun!

Last edited:
I was saying that saying arguing this does not factor in the strength of the field is silly. It has to because that is the point of Dr. You are very correct though that we will all peg out and I failed to mention that. But because this data does factor your learning curve I believe it works for me and I think it may be accurate to a point. It just depends where my ultimate skill level is. Will it be where I am now, or can I continue to learn and progress as I have now? I can't wait to see by day 203

With my luck I'll totally 🤬 up and be Dr D :lol::lol::lol:
I misunderstood :)

I misunderstood :)
No thank you, I'm glad that I can clarify that. :) like I said, keep it up so I can clarify my statement more haha.

Regarding your plateau, do you really think that will hold? I'm not sure you have enough data for that. It could be temporary. :odd:

Last edited:
This is definitely one of those thongswhen youre thinking way too much about stats.

No thank you, I'm glad that I can clarify that. :) like I said, keep it up so I can clarify my statement more haha.

Regarding your plateau, do you really think that will hold? I'm not sure you have enough data for that. It could be temporary. :embarrassed:

Yeah... definitely. I am now racing against people who qualify like 2 seconds ahead of me. If I'm lucky I will start half way up the grid, even though I am bettering my previous records each day I try a new race. It happened as soon as I went over the half way point of A...

This is definitely one of those thongswhen youre thinking way too much about stats.
Why do you say that?
Yeah... definitely. I am now racing against people who qualify like 2 seconds ahead of me. If I'm lucky I will start half way up the grid, even though I am bettering my previous records each day I try a new race. It happened as soon as I went over the half way point of A...

Best of luck to break out of it! Might just take some time :)

Why do you say that?
You're extrapolating which (scientifically) is a Big No No and why forecasting models fail so often. Many times in scientific research there are phenomena which, once graphed, dont follow linear trend outside of certain ranges. Therefore we dont know if your data points will have an inflection point outside of your observed region. Things such as number of participants within each DR range affect the slope in your graph, where it becomes harder and harder to gain points as you increase your DR thereby creating a slower growth trend (plateau). Trend lines model data accurately for interpolation not extrapolation.

You're extrapolating which (scientifically) is a Big No No and why forecasting models fail so often. Many times in scientific research there are phenomena which, once graphed, dont follow linear trend outside of certain ranges. Therefore we dont know if your data points will have an inflection point outside of your observed region. Things such as number of participants within each DR range affect the slope in your graph, where it becomes harder and harder to gain points as you increase your DR thereby creating a slower growth trend (plateau). Trend lines model data accurately for interpolation not extrapolation.

What I have done is not science. I do not know why you are throwing that word around. There is a huge distinction between science and statistics... What I have done is also not even a tool. As stated in the OP, it's just for fun.

What I have done is used a statistical program to see where I could potentially end up assuming I continue to climb at the same rate.

Everything that I've bolded has already been mentioned in the op... This is not a "end all, tell all" method. It's supposed to be fun, there is no need to take it so seriously :)

Well, it is broken if you went to 51k in 15 days ffs :lol:
@Robben @Alpha Cipher, next time a good daily race comes around and I have a lot of free time, I'm going to create a European account. I'm curious how fast I can progress up the rankings, pretty sure it won't be 51 k in a few days though lol.

I'll let you know when I do so you guys can add me and kick my butt!

Edit: In the spirit of spongebob memes

The thing is that you have the time difference on your side... like Alpha just plays in the daytime in Europe against the young, the old and the jobless ;)
Pretty much my cheat code :lol:
@Robben @Alpha Cipher, next time a good daily race comes around and I have a lot of free time, I'm going to create a European account. I'm curious how fast I can progress up the rankings, pretty sure it won't be 51 k in a few days though lol.

I'll let you know when I do so you guys can add me and kick my butt!

Edit: In the spirit of spongebob memes

I'm on the US now as well, btw. Feel free to add me there if you like :) (Sigma_Cipher1)

What I have done is not science. I do not know why you are throwing that word around. There is a huge distinction between science and statistics... What I have done is also not even a tool. As stated in the OP, it's just for fun.

What I have done is used a statistical program to see where I could potentially end up assuming I continue to climb at the same rate.

Everything that I've bolded has already been mentioned in the op... This is not a "end all, tell all" method. It's supposed to be fun, there is no need to take it so seriously :)

Fair enough. Im throwing science around because it's the perspective I am coming from. I'm sorry for taking it too seriously, I guess I flipped right into a lecture that I give my students in class but there are just obvious flaws in the method and it's a common mistake to extrapolate from a set of data like this.

I wonder if it would be slightly more accurate to look at an account that has reached high S rating and model the trend on thier data. Using a sigmoidal curve as your trend line you could then use the equation from that and account for plateauing. I'd be curious how well that matches?

Fair enough. Im throwing science around because it's the perspective I am coming from. I'm sorry for taking it too seriously, I guess I flipped right into a lecture that I give my students in class but there are just obvious flaws in the method and it's a common mistake to extrapolate from a set of data like this.

I wonder if it would be slightly more accurate to look at an account that has reached high S rating and model the trend on thier data. Using a sigmoidal curve as your trend line you could then use the equation from that and account for plateauing. I'd be curious how well that matches?

I guess that's how perspectives work because where I am coming from, this isn't even close to science! I consider something science when it involves a hypothesis, the scientific method, and lots of data from the natural sciences (Geological, Biological, Chemical, Physical). :lol:

While I do have a hypothesis and data, I consider this just a statistical test. You are correct it is by no means the most accurate way (there are too many variables to depict it), but I think it is a good ballpark figure for a GTS driver who has a lot of racing data in their kudosprime, but not enough data that they are close to plateauing.

As for modeling someone like ORMA_Snow (http://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=1075382), I think that would work, but there is little to gain from the data as a high S driver is forced into a plateau at 75K.

What are you a professor of? :)

Back