Where you will spend most of time in GTmode or online?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AleksandarSRB
  • 114 comments
  • 6,188 views

How do you intend to spend most of your GT5 time?

  • Career (GT) mode

    Votes: 100 84.0%
  • Arcade (single player or splitscreen)

    Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Online Racing all the way

    Votes: 17 14.3%

  • Total voters
    119
Gt mode near all the time.
 
This is weird, when the thread about crap AI was in full flow most peoples response was to say who cares I'm playing online anyway.
When I get the game and attempt to go straight online it seems there will be no one about to play lol.

What happened?

BTW I'm going straight online with 16 random folks and praying for no lag whilst enjoying the rain and 60fps.
If that is acheived I will proclaim Kaz as the new messiah.
 
This is weird, when the thread about crap AI was in full flow most peoples response was to say who cares I'm playing online anyway.
When I get the game and attempt to go straight online it seems there will be no one about to play lol.

What happened?

BTW I'm going straight online with 16 random folks and praying for no lag whilst enjoying the rain and 60fps.
If that is acheived I will proclaim Kaz as the new messiah.

That sounds so un-Gran Turismo
 
Like when i made a case for interior view....;)

Yeah but interior view is empirically inferior. I can prove it with science :trouble:

Joking aside, tho, I'd only ever argue the toss with someone who claimed it was their way or the highway. GT is a lot of different things to a lot of different people. I'll bet there's someone out there who doesn't even like the driving part, they just like looking at the cars in showroom mode. Who the hell are we to say that's wrong?

That said the reaction to online surprises me as much as if most of the people on this forum turned out to be like showroom-guy. I am, quite literally, gobsmacked :odd:
 
Yeah but interior view is empirically inferior. I can prove it with science :trouble:

Joking aside, tho, I'd only ever argue the toss with someone who claimed it was their way or the highway. GT is a lot of different things to a lot of different people. I'll bet there's someone out there who doesn't even like the driving part, they just like looking at the cars in showroom mode. Who the hell are we to say that's wrong?

That said the reaction to online surprises me as much as if most of the people on this forum turned out to be like showroom-guy. I am, quite literally, gobsmacked :odd:

What about it is so surprising?
 
What about it is so surprising?

Good question I guess. It surprises me because of the amount of fun online mode was in Prologue, despite the fact that, compared to other online games, it was totally half-arsed. Online in general was a shot in the arm for video games over a decade ago. It's so much more competitive and social too, to play with human opponents.

Nowadays it's very rare for a game to not have an online mode and that's not because playing online sucks, hell an increasing number of games (UT, COD, WOW, EVE online ... etc) don't even have a single player mode or, if they do it's kinda tacked on as an afterthought or training mode.

I'm surprised by the number of people who would rather play against pathetic AI opponents. Let's face it - even if AI is improved by a factor of a billion (which it won't be) it's still going to be like racing against a track full of window lickers.

But, like I said - I aint going to argue, this is just my opinion after all. You pay your fifty bucks you're entitled to do whatever the hell you want with the disk. I just hope there's someone online for me to race against on release day. :nervous:
 
Well I'm not a big fan of online gaming. I value good single player experiences over mulitplayer any day.

That said online gaming can be fun sometimes.
 
@srrd racing... Nissan GTR of course. I've got one for you.

who am I?: Two seater convertible; Chain Driven RWD; DOHC 531cc; redline of 9500rpms
 
Good question I guess. It surprises me because of the amount of fun online mode was in Prologue, despite the fact that, compared to other online games, it was totally half-arsed. Online in general was a shot in the arm for video games over a decade ago. It's so much more competitive and social too, to play with human opponents.

Nowadays it's very rare for a game to not have an online mode and that's not because playing online sucks, hell an increasing number of games (UT, COD, WOW, EVE online ... etc) don't even have a single player mode or, if they do it's kinda tacked on as an afterthought or training mode.

I'm surprised by the number of people who would rather play against pathetic AI opponents. Let's face it - even if AI is improved by a factor of a billion (which it won't be) it's still going to be like racing against a track full of window lickers.

But, like I said - I aint going to argue, this is just my opinion after all. You pay your fifty bucks you're entitled to do whatever the hell you want with the disk. I just hope there's someone online for me to race against on release day. :nervous:

👍 This, wise words indeed ;)
 
Good question I guess. It surprises me because of the amount of fun online mode was in Prologue, despite the fact that, compared to other online games, it was totally half-arsed. Online in general was a shot in the arm for video games over a decade ago. It's so much more competitive and social too, to play with human opponents.

But, like I said - I aint going to argue, this is just my opinion after all. You pay your fifty bucks you're entitled to do whatever the hell you want with the disk. I just hope there's someone online for me to race against on release day. :nervous:

I find it surprising too, and like you not judging people for a different view of what GT means to them, as for me online only seems to broaden the appeal.
What i find strange is that some who use this forum to communicate with likeminded people don't seem that excited about racing real life opponents with a similar mindset, as you're correct it's not just a competitive but also a social extension of GT.

I've said in one of my previous posts that offline would probably keep me busy for the largest part of the first year but from previous experiences i know i can complete the full game ( GT4 ) out of necessity ( my memory card went faulty ) within a few weeks, that doesn't mean i won't be tempted to go online early on.

It seems apart from enormous fun also a nice way to earn credits, so don't be afraid for a lack of opponents as the first week will probably leave me in a state of shock for which i have to recover first before joining you online.
If not me, thousands will, we'll undoubtedly see each other on the track someday, hopefully very soon. :cheers:
 
^ Another wise old sage ;)
 
Good question I guess. It surprises me because of the amount of fun online mode was in Prologue, despite the fact that, compared to other online games, it was totally half-arsed. Online in general was a shot in the arm for video games over a decade ago. It's so much more competitive and social too, to play with human opponents.

Nowadays it's very rare for a game to not have an online mode and that's not because playing online sucks, hell an increasing number of games (UT, COD, WOW, EVE online ... etc) don't even have a single player mode or, if they do it's kinda tacked on as an afterthought or training mode.

I'm surprised by the number of people who would rather play against pathetic AI opponents. Let's face it - even if AI is improved by a factor of a billion (which it won't be) it's still going to be like racing against a track full of window lickers.

But, like I said - I aint going to argue, this is just my opinion after all. You pay your fifty bucks you're entitled to do whatever the hell you want with the disk. I just hope there's someone online for me to race against on release day. :nervous:

PD are making a game that encompasses both an in-depth online and offline mode. Most other developers focus on one and have the other as an afterthought. As you said, online is huge now, but the neglect of single player mode has effectively killed my interest in console gaming.

The online was so big in prologue because there was nothing else really to do, the 'career mode' took maybe a day or two.

Now GT4, no online mode, that game has occupied many people, including many in this community, for years.

Now PD are doing something brilliant by catering for both, the GT mode is going to be as good as ever, but the addition of an online mode only adds to the games brilliance.

The only way you will see me online is if the online is liked to GT mode in some way. If not, it won't be until i've completed the majority of the game and can't be bothered with the rest.

Just to add, the reason I got into GT in the first place was because it didn't just focus on the driving. Thats like if for example, the games of the Total War franchise only had the options for 'custom battle', 'historical battle' or 'online battle'. The campaign mode is central to those games and the game would never be such a great success without it. The same goes for GT, whilst the driving has always been pretty good, the game would never have been so popular if it wasn't for the GT mode. My GT mode disc for Gran Turismo 2 broke, I have never touched the Arcade mode disc, ever. It has the same physics, the same cars (Unlocked from my save, which I still have), the same tracks. But its not the same game, its not fun.
 
Last edited:
4-5week playing gtmode,after that online for the rest of my life!!!!!!
 
Well if it's any consolation to like minds I'll be online as soon as I've earned enough GT-mode spondoolicks to buy a GT-40

Single player to online mode for me is like going from black and white telly to colour - I'm not going to be wasting any more time watching black and white than I absolutely have to. :sly:
 
Listening to the TGS 2009 video interview with KY, he says:

"It's been a long time since we had a full numbered version of Gran Turismo out. And, though we're working on online functionality as well, we're really focused on making a very solid, complete offline mode as well. We think it's a very important part of the game and we're hoping everyone looks forward to that."

<3 KY

http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/857126/gran-turismo-5/videos/gt5_tgs09_0926_damage1.html
 
Online!

You just cannot beat the FUN feeling racing other gamers rather than AI no matter how good the AI is.
 
At first GT mode and I might take a break and race against friends only in the evening. Once GT mode is complete then I shall focus 100% on online.

If the racing club feature is correct then I shall look forward to competing against other clubs. However whether this is based on laptimes i.e FM1 or races online im still uncertain.

Im particularly looking forward to playing online because it seems PD have put plenty of effort into this department. Those who won't play online are going to seriously miss out. The thought of racing against 15 other online racers whilst im playing on my 40" Sony Bravia, surround sound system, Gameracer cockpit, G25 has me drooling in anticipation.
 
Definitely GT Mode. Online, I'll probably be sticking strictly to private rooms.
 
Definitely GT Mode. Online, I'll probably be sticking strictly to private rooms.

Same here which is a shame. However after my experiences on GT5P there is no way I would want to race against strangers. The trouble is you only meet new friends by racing against strangers!
 
I expect I'll approach online GT the same way I do any other game that I play online - most of the time I'll be in private rooms for organised tournaments or friendly kickabouts/practice but every now and again I'll hit a pub and do some pwning. I expect demolition derby will be the order of the day on the pubs and, tbh, as long as there's private servers with good clean racers, I'll probably be up for the occasional - gloves off -mad max dodgemfest as a way of unwinding.
 
The trouble is you only meet new friends by racing against strangers!
Yeah, that's true. I've got a few friends that'll buy it, but if I want epic 16-player races, I'll have to brave the public rooms at some point.
 
This is weird, when the thread about crap AI was in full flow most peoples response was to say who cares I'm playing online anyway.
When I get the game and attempt to go straight online it seems there will be no one about to play lol.

What happened?
Maybe people played other racing games, and realized that just about all games have similar A.I. ;)

I enjoy Prologue much more offline, because online servers are practically empty, and I've never been able to get into one with someone from here, save once or twice. Racing against 15 opponents is a blast, whether humans or bots.

As with many here, I'll mostly be racing offline against the "windowlickers," and will be avoiding public online servers like the plague.
 
Yeah, that's true. I've got a few friends that'll buy it, but if I want epic 16-player races, I'll have to brave the public rooms at some point.

Alternatively you could set up your own public room and just kickban any idiots who weren't prepared to play nice*.


*solution dependant on private rooms and kickban function being included in final game
 
I will only venture online in private rooms, with mates. After the pain of Prologue, public rooms will only ever get a looksee on rare occasions.

Most of my time will be grinding through the career mode. Damn I am so looking forward to that day. Searching around the used car showrooms for some banger, taking it to its limits to get the win. Good times.
 
GT Mode, I'll play online too but not as much as I will play GT Mode.
 
I couldn't choose of the options because I hope that PD let us drive all GT mode races online against real drivers sorted out by the laptimes before. Competition will be as close as possible then and problems with AI which is today only good for hampering in your way wouldn't exist.
 
How could anyone vote? We know absolutely nothing about the game, it's functionality, or anything, for that matter. Of particular note would be GT's horrendous history with "online gaming" as they so bravely call it.

I;d like to think I'll play mostly online, but if online play is as awful as it is in GT5P, then I'll probably just tinker around by myself and race AI, good or bad.
 
I will be so bold as to say if the online is laggy and poor in general I will be returning the game back to the stores.
 
I;d like to think I'll play mostly online, but if online play is as awful as it is in GT5P, then I'll probably just tinker around by myself and race AI, good or bad.

Prologue online was terrible but, given the circumstances, it was believably so. I find it inconceivable that GT5 full won't be, at least adequate, covering the usual, private lobby and voting options. If they don't have at least the basics of any standard online interface then the company deserves to go bankrupt. Even with basic online functionality (I wouldn't say prologue even came close to that) I'll be more than happy to spend most of the rest of my life playing it.

As opposed to GT mode which is going to last me a fortnight at the very outside.
 
GT career mode, obviously. I wouldnt bother with arcade mode at all. Never touched it in previous GTs. As for online mode, it depends how good it is. I have a slow internet connection, and prologue for me was horrendous. My connection works fine with McRae and Grid, so I hope polyphony can sort out this mode for us with slow internet.
 
Back