Which book are you currently reading?

I have three streams going:-
  1. A re-read of the George Smiley series of novels by John Le Carre, this time to read to my wife at bedtime.
  2. "My Promised Land" by Ari Shavit (Because the Israel situation is very interesting. A great read.)
  3. "Mein Kampf" by Adolf Hitler (Which might help me understand where my country could be going. Only just started.)

I decided to finally start this series that I've had for awhile. It's an Apocalypse Triptych. The first book is called The End Is Nigh. Book 2 is The End Is Now and Book 3 is The End Has Come. I'm reading through to see if any of the stories are of a pandemic-style event to see what happens there. Here's the description:

Famine. Death. War. Pestilence. These are the harbingers of the biblical apocalypse, of the End of the World. In science fiction, the end is triggered by less figurative means: nuclear holocaust, biological warfare/pandemic, ecological disaster, or cosmological cataclysm.

But before any catastrophe, there are people who see it coming. During, there are heroes who fight against it. And after, there are the survivors who persevere and try to rebuild. THE APOCALYPSE TRIPTYCH will tell their stories.

Edited by acclaimed anthologist John Joseph Adams and bestselling author Hugh Howey, THE APOCALYPSE TRIPTYCH is a series of three anthologies of apocalyptic fiction. THE END IS NIGH focuses on life before the apocalypse. THE END IS NOW turns its attention to life during the apocalypse. And THE END HAS COME focuses on life after the apocalypse.

THE END IS NIGH features all-new, never-before-published works by Hugh Howey, Paolo Bacigalupi, Jamie Ford, Seanan McGuire, Tananarive Due, Jonathan Maberry, Robin Wasserman, Nancy Kress, Charlie Jane Anders, Ken Liu, and many others.

IMG_20210709_144535.jpg

I'm not reading any books right now but I have been thinking of getting this book. Maybe a little bit more advanced but not much though. Seriously.

1626161592411.png

Could someone recommend me a good fictional street / circuit racing read? I can only find autobiographies and guides.

Could someone recommend me a good fictional street / circuit racing read? I can only find autobiographies and guides.
Aidy Westlake series by Simon Wood. More of a murder mystery series in a circuit racing setting than a fictional racing plot.

Did Not Finish, and Hot Seat.

1630708742534775388058081057282.jpg

I'm reading this gem. Always been fascinated by the Huey and hoped of owning one until I read that they're not only rare, but also unavailable to civilians :/

There's maybe only a handful of ex-medevac Hueys for sale, the rest are sold for parts only.

Gilles Villeneuve The life of the legendary racing driver. By Gerald Donaldson.

The prologue caused tears to land on the screen of my kindle paper white. It took me back to that day when I watched my childhood hero die. I can remember every little bit of that day, from playing with some cars on the floor at the end of my bed when the news came on the radio. I stopped and listened and felt sick. I walked downstairs and stood in the doorway staring at the television until the grandstand announcer confirmed that Gilles was dead. Before showed the sodding crash again complete with Gilles cartwheeling through the air into the catch fencing.

I then went back upstairs as I really needed to be very alone.

81fFbN1mnYL.jpg

Just finished this. It's written by Sir Terry's PA and latterly business manager Rob Wilkins, but Pratchett had a big hand in it as it was being written as an autobiography when he died. It's hard to read in places, particularly towards the end as Alzheimer's slowly claimed him, but it's still a great read for any fan of Discworld or Pratchett's other works as it has clearly been written by someone who spent a lot of time with Sir Terry.

Last edited:
I enjoy sci-fi books and I made it a goal to read all (or as many as I can) of the Alien(s) books this year, not including the movie adaptions.

20230301_091915.jpg

^ Coincidentally, I just watched the first movie again last night. I never knew it was based on a book.

Girlfriend got me this one for Valentine's day. If you have a dark and cynical sense of humor, I can't recommend it enough. It's an easy read (a fictional story), but the laughs are non-stop:

41USz4lqX+L.jpg

Other recents:

Researching my social shortcomings with this one. It really just ended up teaching me more about extroverts than revealing anything about myself that I didn't already know (naturally, as a serious introvert, I spend a ton of time in my head analyzing myself), but still a really good read.

1245364-gf.jpg

I've been loving Joe Abercrombie's whole 'First Law' dark fantasy series, currently on the last of the stand-alone books outside of the two main trilogies:

51Wr0XlAYzL.jpg

Last edited:
Was an idiot and missed that this was the main Book thread for a post like this trying to find a Book thread :(.

Over the course of the last year, I got really moved by the Wings of Fire book series which got more into Books in general. My initial interest was all the major characters are Dragon but it goes into some serious heavy personal subject matter with the first 5 main characters in the first 5 books about child abuse and differing trauma effects it has, got me crying throughout Books 1, 4 and 5 but I also really enjoyed the entire Pentology.

Also got into Book 6 and 7 and I'm enjoying the main characters and the first villain being a 1st Book villain, Scarlet coming back for petty revenge and being absolutely terrifying with nothing left to lose though the 2nd villain they are building up to Darkstalker, is kind of boring.

I did read the prequel Book, Legends Darkstalker to see if it makes him more interesting but while Darkstalker is interesting in the Book as a naturally born Psychopath who doesn't see himself as evil (which hits home a theme of some people are just born evil but you might not notice until its too late because they don't think they are), it doesnt make him interesting as this Voldemoort like figure who'll come back and kill everyone in the 2nd pentology.

Been more into the Graphic Novel adaptations as I do love the visual expressions of the characters, but so far its been an amazing series, though I'm worried once Scarlet goes down, the series goes downhill fast (theres already retcons from the 1st pentology that hurt)

Just to add, so this isn't a redundant post, I hear about a Book Series called Temeraire. A friend recommended it to me, referring it to as like the Napoleanic Wars but with Dragons, has anyone had any experience with this series?

I did not read enough in 2023. I need to pick it up this year. I may kick it off with Killers of the Flower Moon.

I'm reading "The Hollow Hills" by Mary Sweart. It is the 2nd book of a trilogy about the Arthurian legends but the focus here is Merlin's story and background.

I'm almost half way through and there has been a lot of travelling and conversations and schemes being arranged. Kind of a slow book. I hope it picks up the pace in the 2nd half.

The first book of said trilogy, "The Crystal Cave" was much more of an enjoyable read.

images.jpeg

I’m currently reading “Holes” by Louis Sachar (Very intriguing young adult detective novel that discusses themes such as poverty, injustice and racism) and “How to be an F1 Driver” by Jenson Button (Hilarious autobiography/ memoir about how life as an F1 driver isn’t all it’s cracked up to be)

I've completely run out of space for physical books. Whilst I wait for Kindle sales on my wishlist of new stuff I'm revisiting a couple of old favourite series' - alternating Discworld and Sharpe (in chronological order to fit the newer ones in the correct parts of the timeline).

I’m rereading The Silmarillion for the 3rd time.

I’ve always put it down after the main story and ignored the appendices on bloodlines and pronunciation, this time I will attempt to complete the whole thing.

Then I’ll go back to Unfinished Tales which I’ve read half way through. It’s quite clear that Christopher Tolkien didn’t have the same writing prowess as his father.

Back