Which European Country is the Best Car Manufacturer?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AMCNUT
  • 81 comments
  • 7,235 views

Which European Country Makes the Best Cars?

  • United Kingdom

    Votes: 18 12.1%
  • Germany

    Votes: 101 67.8%
  • France

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Italy

    Votes: 23 15.4%
  • Sweden

    Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Other

    Votes: 2 1.3%

  • Total voters
    149
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeremy Clarkson: "Germany, the last refuge of the SPEED FREAKS!!!" :D
 
Italy produces some excellent cars, but with company's like VW, Audi, Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Opel, etc. You just have to go with the country officially known as the Bundesrepublik Deutschland.
 
Cammo1707
Germany by a long stretch over Italy.

I found the ideal compromise - I drive an Audi A5: designed by an Italian, built by Germans. Unbeatable combination. :sly:
 
Gemballas are modified Porsches. Rufs are Rufs. But we're not going to ahve this argument again.


We are in the GT5 forum, not the cars in general forum, therefore any discussion of this subject must be constrained to GT5 cars only.

The very history of RUF is revolved around modifying Porsche cars, how can you even argue about something that is so well known, I will not argue about this again. I did not create the thread, the thread is about european cars; not european GT5 cars. The thread would be kind of pointless if it was about specifically GT5 recreations, rather than the real cars.
 
Well, the automotive industry is pretty international so the question is kind of stupid. Also given the fact that transportation designers are a huge mix of nationalities, and that the same designer can go from one brand to another. The latest example might be the new Chief of Design at Ferrari who was recruited from - yes, Volkswagen. Other examples of the internationality of the automotive industry includes the Chief Designer of Volvo (British) - Volvo who by the way is owned by Geely (China), the chief designer of BMW (Dutch), Jaguar and Land Rover (owned by Tata Motors - India), Rolls-Royce was for many years divided between Volkswagen and BMW but was then renamed to Bentley under Volkswagen while BMW started a new brand called Rolls-Royce with the original name and brand identity for which they bought the rights.
 
It has to be the UK Mclaren, Lotus, Caterham, Aston Martin, TVR, Marcos, Mini just to name a few of our great auto manufacturers!! Plus Britain is the home of the B-road and Country Lane and is home to some of the worlds greatest tracks and many of the F1 teams (Mclaren, Red Bull, Renault, Force India are all based here and I think there are a couple more too!).
 
Germany of course :D
 
I found the ideal compromise - I drive an Audi A5: designed by an Italian, built by Germans. Unbeatable combination. :sly:

and plagued with electrical problems. (blame the Italians for that)
 
Italia!

Pagani, Lamborghini, Ferrari...
 
and plagued with electrical problems. (blame the Italians for that)

Driving it for 2 and half years. Haven't seen or heard about excessive electrical problems yet for this particular model?

You must be thinking of a French car surely... :dopey:
 
... but back to the question: Koenigsegg, so I have to say Ängelholm, Sweden.
 
Why is germany leading the poll? Maybe because I am used to seeing lots of them every day, but I find the design and styling of almost every german manufacturer dull and boring.

All technology and built quality aside, I want a car that I like. And the look and feel of a car is the thing that hooks me first. And there's no current german car that's making my senses tickle in a way that even a Fiat 500 does.

BMW, Mercedes, VW and Audi seem to have some sort of secret bet going on, whoever can sell the most generic and dull 4-door saloon and still be profitable wins. Turn the car into a succesful SUV and you rake bonus points.

"But," you say "what about the R8?" Let's start with the TT first. It's design is a cross breed between a Beetle and a Leopard II. The R8 is a TT on Meth. What's up with this silly painted sideblade, who's idea was this, and how can he be made responsible for his sins?

"But, but," you say "at least BMW M-Line cars are nice!" Back in the middle ages, once a witch was tortured in the most humilating way: Her eyelids where fixed, so that she could not close them, and then she was confronted with the ugliest and deformed horses her torturer could find. After a while she got used to the looks of these poor creatures, and started to like them. Struggling with ideas, the torturer came up with a brilliant idea! He fed the horses with the fattest sausages and pretzels of the kingdom, and the horses farts became more frequent, and – in a torturing kind of way – more… let's say powerful. After the UN was founded in 1948, these ways of torture were deemed illegal and thus banned. But somewhere, in the distant kingdom of Bavaria, the tradition is still alive and executed.

And for Porsche… I don't get the hype. They are recycling the 911 design since decades, and since the early 90s they have been heavily toyotarising their components and manufacturing process. Now they are "innovating" their lineup with SUVs and a stretch-limo 911 with 4 doors, every new car they present is uglier than the last one. The only Porsche I could drive around without being embarresed about myself is 25 years old.

I voted Italy. Concerning styling and design they have hits (458, Alfa 8C) and misses (I tried to unsee the Multipla, I really did), but at least the don't drown in their own mediocrity.
 
I could imagine a world without Ferrari's or Aston Martins, but I cannot imagine a world without BMW's, it would just be horrifying.

Why is germany leading the poll?

After driving German cars there is something very special about them, they just "get it". Anyone who has driven an M car knows what I am talking about.
 
Let's start with the TT first. It's design is a cross breed between a Beetle and a Leopard II.

In design circles, the TT is recognized as an extremely iconic design. It will still be a classic 20 years down the line. Look up 'Bauhaus' and see how brilliantly it was applied to automotive and interior design by Audi.

It is also one of the very rare cars that went from concept to production with hardly any change.
 
It has to be the UK Mclaren, Lotus, Caterham, Aston Martin, TVR, Marcos, Mini just to name a few of our great auto manufacturers!! Plus Britain is the home of the B-road and Country Lane and is home to some of the worlds greatest tracks and many of the F1 teams (Mclaren, Red Bull, Renault, Force India are all based here and I think there are a couple more too!).

That's Britain's problem though, probably the best talent in the motoring/motorsport world but complete ineptitude at the management/marketing level to use it.
 
I agree the Audi TT is beautiful, but most BMWs and Mercs are dull as hell (style wise) and invariably driven by middle-aged businessmen (badly).
 
I agree the Audi TT is beautiful, but most BMWs and Mercs are dull as hell (style wise) and invariably driven by middle-aged businessmen (badly).

BMW and Mercedes make something for everyone, they make everything from motorcycles to trucks. When called upon they make some of the most beautiful and insanely fast/great handling cars.

CLK DTM
BMW M3 GTR
BMW M3 CSL
CLK GTR
SLS AMG
AMG BLACK SERIES

Just to name a few of the great specialty cars made by BMW and Mercedes, nothing dull about those cars.
 
Why is germany leading the poll? Maybe because I am used to seeing lots of them every day, but I find the design and styling of almost every german manufacturer dull and boring.

All technology and built quality aside, I want a car that I like. And the look and feel of a car is the thing that hooks me first. And there's no current german car that's making my senses tickle in a way that even a Fiat 500 does.

BMW, Mercedes, VW and Audi seem to have some sort of secret bet going on, whoever can sell the most generic and dull 4-door saloon and still be profitable wins. Turn the car into a succesful SUV and you rake bonus points.

"But," you say "what about the R8?" Let's start with the TT first. It's design is a cross breed between a Beetle and a Leopard II. The R8 is a TT on Meth. What's up with this silly painted sideblade, who's idea was this, and how can he be made responsible for his sins?

"But, but," you say "at least BMW M-Line cars are nice!" Back in the middle ages, once a witch was tortured in the most humilating way: Her eyelids where fixed, so that she could not close them, and then she was confronted with the ugliest and deformed horses her torturer could find. After a while she got used to the looks of these poor creatures, and started to like them. Struggling with ideas, the torturer came up with a brilliant idea! He fed the horses with the fattest sausages and pretzels of the kingdom, and the horses farts became more frequent, and – in a torturing kind of way – more… let's say powerful. After the UN was found in 1948, these ways of torture were deemed illegal and thus banned. But somewhere, in the distant kingdom of Bavaria, the tradition is still alive and executed.

And for Porsche… I don't get the hype. They are recycling the 911 design since decades, and since the early 90s they have been heavily toyotarising their components and manufacturing process. Now they are "innovating" their lineup with SUVs and a stretch-limo 911 with 4 doors, every new car they present is uglier than the last one. The only Porsche I could drive around without being embarresed about myself is 25 years old.

I voted Italy. Concerning styling and design they have hits (458, Alfa 8C) and misses (I tried to unsee the Multipla, I really did), but at least the don't drown in their own mediocrity.

Still porshe after 50 years look damn sexy (with improvements).

Also you need to consider all motorisation with racing history, rally etc. First car was German.

Also it is well known that germany produce cars more for day life use with amazing performance. Look at BMW 7 series every new model comes out it is a space shuttle on wheels.

And at time they can if they want produce some iconic hypercars like SLR.

I think it's not a problem to build ultra fast beautifull car, problem is when this car are used for everyday life.

And when i think italy i only think Lancia same as Lotus,TVR for UK.
 
I had to go with Germany, even though I wanted to say Italy. Italian cars are beautiful, charismatic, timeless, etc etc, but Germany REALLY has their act together. BMW and MB just pump out bulletproof cars that GO and handle. A lot of them definitely do lack in styling and aesthetics, very plain/refined/bland, but the performance and quality are there.

Sure a lot of Italian cars can outperform a lot of German cars, and usually (I'm looking at you Enzo/Italia/any new non-SV lambo) look better, but as a total package I think German manufacturers have the edge.
 
Last edited:
When called upon they make some of the most beautiful and insanely fast/great handling cars.
Insanely fast/great handling I would give you. But beautiful? No. None of the ones you listed really tickled my aesthetic tastebuds. But, of course, it's totally subjective and if you like 'em then that's fine - everyone to their own 👍
 
And for Porsche… I don't get the hype. They are recycling the 911 design since decades, and since the early 90s they have been heavily toyotarising their components and manufacturing process. Now they are "innovating" their lineup with SUVs and a stretch-limo 911 with 4 doors, every new car they present is uglier than the last one. The only Porsche I could drive around without being embarresed about myself is 25 years old.

I'm pretty sure you've never driven one if you don't get the hype. The 911 are very special cars that has a driving experience like no other car.

The design is beautifully subtle. From the roofline to the way the hips curve. It's sexy, it's curvy...Much like a beautiful woman.

As an owner of a 27 year old Carrera, I would be more than happy to own a Cayman S (or an R), a Boxster Spyder or just about any 997. And yes, I find them all to be very pretty.

I've found that the only people who talks trash about Porsche are the ones who've never driven one. From the SWB 911s to today's 997s, there's really nothing like them.
 
In design circles, the TT is recognized as an extremely iconic design. It will still be a classic 20 years down the line. Look up 'Bauhaus' and see how brilliantly it was applied to automotive and interior design by Audi.

It is also one of the very rare cars that went from concept to production with hardly any change.

I'm a designer (not an industrial one, though), and in the design circles I frequent, the TT is a recognized as a "Schützenpanzer". There may be other design circles whose social interaction relies on heavy cocaine abuse, which may quite like the TT, but I do not frequent those.

And just because it's german, and 'Bauhaus' is so too, does not equal a relationship. Actually, the term you were looking for might be 'New objectivity'.
But if by 'Bauhaus' you mean it's interior reminds one of the building in Dessau, I might agree.
 
As you can guess with my name i think Germany but there are cars that i really like from a few other countries.
 
Sorry, but to make it interesting, the question may be "Which European Country is the Best Car Manufacturer... after Germany?" :sly:
 
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You can enjoy a British car IF it starts! My god those cars are even bigger crap then those build in France!

Germany, absolutely no doubt,

That's rich coming from the motoring mecca that is Holland LOL !
 
I'm a designer (not an industrial one, though), and in the design circles I frequent, the TT is a recognized as a "Schützenpanzer". There may be other design circles whose social interaction relies on heavy cocaine abuse, which may quite like the TT, but I do not frequent those.

And just because it's german, and 'Bauhaus' is so too, does not equal a relationship.

"At a press conference presented by the MIDWAY GROUP and hosted by the New York International Auto Show at the Jacob Javitz Centre in Manhattan, New York, the Audi TT was declared the 2007 World Car Design of the Year....

WCOTY jurors lauded the new TT's design with its flared wheel-arches, signature Audi grille, and sleek silhouette. While there is a clear connection to the original TT's bauhaus styling, the second-generation model evolves it into a more modern form
" - Dexigner 2007

It also won AutoBilds most beautiful car award, too. Just saying...
 
I never new that the UK still made cars, at least they bolt on a few doors etc lol.

Name one car actually fully made in the UK? Anyone? Thought not.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back