Which game features more tracks?

• Thread starter shenfrey
  • 8 comments
Forza Motorsport 4 or Gran Turismo 5? And if GT5 has more tracks, is it quality of quantity with forza, or does GT5 just do it better in this regard?

GT5 has more tracks, and more variety of tracks as well (off-road courses, go kart tracks etc) combined with the ability to create your own and race them online as well (so in essence, it has an infinite amount of tracks). As for quality however? It varies. Some tracks in GT5 look utterly spectacular (city courses in particular) but others look awful. Thankfully the amount of ugly tracks isn't too high, but it's still a shame to see.

As for Forza 4 however, all of the tracks are of a high quality. Well, one exception would be Silverstone in my opinion which looks hideous (and Fujumi Kaido as well now I think about it), but it's not like Turn 10 had much to work with anyways given how it looks in reality, so that's excusable.

One thing that I find frustrating with Forza however, is that many of the tracks are in my opinion just not at all enjoyable to race around. This is all personal taste however, and something that you'd have to decide for yourself. I find GT5 to have better tracks in the sense that they're more fun to race around, but it is worth noting that Forza does have some excellent courses such as Bernese Alps, Maple Valley and Camino Viejo.

If you're really keen to compare tracks, you can find a list of the tracks in Forza 4 on this forum, and a list of the tracks in GT5 over at gtplanet. There are plenty of videos on YouTube which shows the various courses in both games as well :)

I agree with Tapey on all points. 👍

As for Forza 4 however, all of the tracks are of a high quality. Well, one exception would be Silverstone in my opinion which looks hideous (and Fujumi Kaido as well now I think about it), but it's not like Turn 10 had much to work with anyways given how it looks in reality, so that's excusable.
The Nordschleife is also a point of contrast between the games. It's pretty much GT5's highest-quality track, and FM4's lowest-quality track.

One thing that I find frustrating with Forza however, is that many of the tracks are in my opinion just not at all enjoyable to race around.
This is precisely why I've jumped to Horizon and might never come back to Motorsport. :)

I love The Nordschleife, but never drive it on FM4 because it is of such poor quality compared to GT5's eerily accurate version.

GT5 has indeed got much better tracks overall, but I still much prefer the playing experience of FM4.
It's a conundrum :D

GT5 has more tracks, and more variety of tracks as well (off-road courses, go kart tracks etc) combined with the ability to create your own and race them online as well (so in essence, it has an infinite amount of tracks).

I kind of disagree. Calling the track editor a track editor is misleading in the first place. GT5 has a random track generator that generates a random layout that always on top of Mount Everest and has zero options for scenery.

I was really looking forward to using the editor almost as much as I did the FM3 livery editor, but it was not comparable at all. It I were to make an analogy, GT5's track editor would be like a Forza livery editor that generates a completely random livery and then allows you to change the font of any text that is part of the livery, which is contingent on the random editor giving you font in the first place.

GT5's track editor in my opinion is only good for fooling around (ie creating a track with an insane jump that would destroy cars in real life) or making short rally courses (it's actually somewhat OK at this).

GT5's track editor in my opinion is only good for fooling around (ie creating a track with an insane jump that would destroy cars in real life) or making short rally courses (it's actually somewhat OK at this).

I can't agree with your opinion. Thanks to the track editor/generator it's possible to create fast tracks as well as long (up to 9 km), winding and narrow roads (especially using Toscana or Mount Aso theme) you can drive in the reality. You can choose any car you want and just drive on a infinite number of tracks/roads layouts. This is a great advantage of GT5 over FM4, and feature which makes me still keep regularly playing this game although I have got FM4. I don't bother with a scenery, it's less matter.

So, in the aspect of tracks GT5 wins decidedly.

I liked the track editor when I played the game, except that it really was limiting. I had a golf course editor 10 years ago on the pc that allowed all the things GT5 FM4 should be.

If you could dream a track up, you could make it. I wish that Turn 10 would just make a course editor as an add on. Then I could spend the rest of my decal design time making up tracks...haha

I can't agree with your opinion. Thanks to the track editor/generator it's possible to create fast tracks as well as long (up to 9 km), winding and narrow roads (especially using Toscana or Mount Aso theme) you can drive in the reality. You can choose any car you want and just drive on a infinite number of tracks/roads layouts. This is a great advantage of GT5 over FM4, and feature which makes me still keep regularly playing this game although I have got FM4. I don't bother with a scenery, it's less matter.

So, in the aspect of tracks GT5 wins decidedly.

Don't get me wrong, you can make a road course, even a good one. But it's basically by luck. You can't really design a track. Hence GT5 has more a random track generator than an editor. I don't really care for the former especially given the average quality of the tracks it produces. I'd love a track editor where I can actually make what I want as I want it. Neither Forza nor GT have that.

Also, now that I own Forza, I'd say I like Forza's track selection more. I miss Spa, Route 7, and Route X [for testing] though, and Forza tracks are all wide for some reason.

Back