Which of the tracks in GT3 really do exist?

• Thread starter Balthazza
  • 331 comments
sgtstix
tokyo track is real ive seen the japanese racing there in skylines and such plus every year toyota has its celebrity challenge and its on that track and i belive monster garage dude competed u know whats his name jesse james i think he came in second
Do you just make everything up?

Tokyo is a real place. The streets that make up the track exist in Tokyo. It has never been used for a race

sgtstix
tokyo track is real ive seen the japanese racing there in skylines and such plus every year toyota has its celebrity challenge and its on that track and i belive monster garage dude competed u know whats his name jesse james i think he came in second

No it isn't, no you haven't, no they don't and no he didn't.

Bad facts are bad, mmmkay?

Famine

Famine - that is probably the best post I have seen on GTP, maybe even on any message board even. Says what it needs to with no fluff added! Plus it made me squirt espresso out my nose when i first read it this morning.

I walked Route 246 in Tokyo last year and put up a photo essay:

http://www.sotobori.com/ (click on the Route 246 link)

The track is real.

I returned from Japan yesterday and took the Limo Bus from Yokohama to Narita Airport. Route 11 provides a problem for me. The bridge in Route 11 is definitely the Yokohama Bay Bridge (do a google images search for 'yokohama bay bridge') and not the Rainbow Bridge to Odaiba. The problem is, the Shutoko (Shuto Expressway) #11 is the Rainbow Bridge to Odaiba. If you do a google images search on both of these bridges, you will see that the bridge in Route 11 is definitely not the Rainbow Bridge.

The ferris wheel could either be the one at Odaiba or the one at Minato Mirai in Yokohama. I rode the Limo Bus over the Yokohama Bay Bridge and the roads below the Shuto Expressway were definitely very similar to what you see in the Route 11 track.

msako
I walked Route 246 in Tokyo last year and put up a photo essay:

http://www.sotobori.com/ (click on the Route 246 link)

The track is real.

You misunderstand.

The roads are real - that's a given. The track is not. The track is based on real roads but is not, in real life, used as a track.

Nice stuff on SSR11 though.

Famine
You misunderstand.

The roads are real - that's a given. The track is not. The track is based on real roads but is not, in real life, used as a track.

Nice stuff on SSR11 though.

Actually, I don't misunderstand. The track in the game is physically identical to the roads in Tokyo. That was my point. The only difference between the track in the game and the real roads in Tokyo which I personally walked is the barriers erected in the game. Otherwise, the lines painted on the ground, the location of the street signs, the color change of the road near the dip after the Meiji Kinenkan are absolutely the real thing.

In actuality, it would be very possible to run a race on this course. On the Sunday that I walked the course, the area from the first right turn all the way to Meiji Kinenkan (the sweeping left turn onto the tree lined street) is blocked off for pedestrian traffic only. In my photo essay you can see this clearly that there are no cars in this area near the stadium and the gardens.

I'm guessing that it's very wishful thinking on the people at Polyphony, but traffic could certainly be diverted off of Sotobori Dori (the final curving section that proceeds down the hill under the elevated Shuto Expressway before the hairpin turn into the final straight) and Route 246 itself (Aoyama Dori) could also probably be blocked off on a weekend without too much trouble.

It would certainly be the race of the century in Japan, as GT2/3/4's popularity is incredible there. The area that's in question is most certainly appropriate for a weekend race from the standpoint of use. They would have to make it like any other road course in the world and have it open to the public during the week.

My Japan office for a previous employer of mine use to be about 500m from Aoyama Dori (Route 246) and the hotel you see at the final hairpin is the real Akasaka Tokyu Hotel ( http://www.tokyuhotels.co.jp/en/TE/TE_AKASA/index.shtml ) and the large tower you see prior to the hairpin is the New Otani Hotel and office complex ( http://www.vacations.net/tokyo/new_otani_hotel_tokyo_16187.htm ).

Let me tell you that if they ever did decide to stage a race there, I would be on the first plane out to see it.

I think one should define excactly what the term 'race track' pertains to!

Are the streets of San Diego, California (USA) where they race the "Long Beach Grand Prix" consider a 'track' only because an actual race is raced there or because the 'streets' are real?

I'm sure everyone would agree that Laguna Seca is a race track because it was build just for that purpose......
Where as the 'streets' used to form the Tokoyo track are real, it's just that NO race has ever been there? See, this is where I think everyone needs clarification...and if it's not everyone than I'm sure it's more than 1/2! :D

SOOO.. :) Can I/we get some clarificaiton of what 'is' a track, as google ain't pulling but sh** back on my searches! :)

A race track is a a route that was made permanent (purpose built) or temporary (like a street course) that has hosted an actual race. So yes the streets of San Diego where they have the LBGP IS a "race course". Same for Monaco or Albert Park, AU (F1 GP). All three are temporary but HOLD actual races in real life, thus they are "race tracks".

Tokyo r246 may be actual roads, matches GT3 almost perfectly...but has it EVER been closed off and held a race for ANYTHING, in REAL LIFE? If not then it is not a "race track".

Kensei
A race track is a a route that was made permanent (purpose built) or temporary (like a street course) that has hosted an actual race. So yes the streets of San Diego where they have the LBGP IS a "race course". Same for Monaco or Albert Park, AU (F1 GP). All three are temporary but HOLD actual races in real life, thus they are "race tracks".

Thanks for the 'clarification' there kensei!

:dopey: Cote d'azur/aka/Monaco<exist, Midfield <exist, Laguna Seca <exist, Super speed way<exist,
Grand Valley<exist, Test course<?? all the rest.... based on real scenery of real cities....?? :crazy: BTW, i'm just.... guessing!! 💡 hehehe, please forgive me if i reply 2 yrs late :dunce: hehehe :sly:

as i live less then two hours from seatlle...no..it does not exist..however...there are several landmarks...and the rail tracks are a nice touch...as there are several rails in seattle..

My understanding of the question, the first post of the thread, is not whether it's ever actually been a race course, but if the facility depicted in the game is an actual place. To me, the R246, Seattle, and Rome courses are "REAL" as they've been mapped by me and others in this thread. They've never been raced on, like Long Beach for Champ Cars (and F1 in the glory days), but the streets are all actual places, the actual real-world scenery is depicted accurately in the game. Any of us with the desire, time, and resources to do so could pack up and go there, and see the places in real life. I don't know a better definition of a real place than being able to walk on it. . . . Saying Cote d'Azur is real and Seattle is not doesn't make sense to me. True the Seattle "course" does not exist as a racing event site, but the facilities depicted do exist. I think that was the original question, more than 2 years ago now(!!)

As far as we've determined, it seems that courses like Grand Valley, Apricot Hill, Deep Forest, Midfield, and Trial Mountain are fictitious places, and therefore not "REAL." They may have elements borrowed from real places, or even just inspired by real places, but as a whole, they are imaginary. OTOH, Laguna Seca is real. It has real races, and really exists. (As an aside, I wonder if it will be called just Laguna Seca in GT4, or will it be Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca?)

The jury still seems to be out on the Special Stage Route courses. Are they real places, or even based on real places? Everybody sees the ferris wheel in Route 11, but how many people see the roller coaster that surrounds it? Lots of people have said the bridge is the Rainbow Bridge, but the Rainbow Bridge is not a cable-stayed bridge like the one in the game.

I think theyll call it mazda raceway laguna seca, i think its the official name now, It sucks that trial mountain and mid-field dont exist, Those are two of my favorite tracks.

i think cote de azure looks like monza. super speedway is an oval in japan with the wind farms. the body of water in grand valley could be from just a part of a lake. im thinking of other, but i dont remember which ones. i must play the game again some more

Not to mention the 14 pages of thread he could have read to discover the answers to his suppositions.

I'm not going to continue on with the race track vs race course vs real streets prattle. It's what it is.

Regarding the special stage courses, I believe they are all real and all to scale. I just haven't been able to figure out exactly where everything is. Route 246 is easy because you can walk it. The other courses use the Shuto Expressway (the roads where there are the solid walls where you can't see anything and where the roads go through the curving tunnels are also the Shuto-ko) which pretty much negates any ability to walk the course.

The bridge, without question is NOT the Rainbow Bridge which goes out to Odaiba. I've been on that bridge many times and it is definitely not the bridge from GT3, however, the highway that runs from Hamamatsucho to Odaiba is called Number 11 which is very strange because I believe the real Route 11 track is out in Yokohama, about 20KM to the west. Last month I actually got a close-up view of the Yokohama Bay Bridge and it is DEFINITELY WITHOUT A DOUBT WHATSOEVER the bridge that is depicted in GT3. The ferris wheel has to be the one at the amusement park in Minato Mirai 21, which also happens to have a roller coaster. I'm not sure if the ferris wheel in Odaiba (near the Rainbow Bridge) has a roller coaster or not but the one in Yokohama Minato Mirai 21 definitely does.

If I had to make an educated guess, I would say that Route 11 is the area between Sakuragicho Station and the industrialized area out towards the entrance to the Yokohama Bay Bridge. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to get any concrete landmarks (such as are on Route 246) and much of Route 11 is not walkable and taxi fares are prohibitively expensive and would probably yield very little in terms of scouting the track.

I was staying at the top of the Landmark Tower during my last trip right there where it looks down right on all of this but the weather was very bad and we even had a typhoon blow through so the visibility was very bad. The only chance to see that side was when I was at the restaurant on the top floor as my room was on the opposite side of the tower.

I think on my next trick, I'll take a shot at scouting Route 11 a little more but transportation is a problem in that area since it's industrialized and there are no trains or public transportation convenient to the actual area where I believe the track is depicted.

wfooshee
My understanding of the question, the first post of the thread, is not whether it's ever actually been a race course, but if the facility depicted in the game is an actual place. To me, the R246, Seattle, and Rome courses are "REAL" as they've been mapped by me and others in this thread. They've never been raced on, like Long Beach for Champ Cars (and F1 in the glory days), but the streets are all actual places, the actual real-world scenery is depicted accurately in the game. Any of us with the desire, time, and resources to do so could pack up and go there, and see the places in real life. I don't know a better definition of a real place than being able to walk on it. . . . Saying Cote d'Azur is real and Seattle is not doesn't make sense to me. True the Seattle "course" does not exist as a racing event site, but the facilities depicted do exist. I think that was the original question, more than 2 years ago now(!!)

As far as we've determined, it seems that courses like Grand Valley, Apricot Hill, Deep Forest, Midfield, and Trial Mountain are fictitious places, and therefore not "REAL." They may have elements borrowed from real places, or even just inspired by real places, but as a whole, they are imaginary. OTOH, Laguna Seca is real. It has real races, and really exists. (As an aside, I wonder if it will be called just Laguna Seca in GT4, or will it be Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca?)

The jury still seems to be out on the Special Stage Route courses. Are they real places, or even based on real places? Everybody sees the ferris wheel in Route 11, but how many people see the roller coaster that surrounds it? Lots of people have said the bridge is the Rainbow Bridge, but the Rainbow Bridge is not a cable-stayed bridge like the one in the game.

I was looking at a map that I found on google and I reckon that the main straight of SSR11 could be Kokusal Blvd.

heres a link to the map. It shows Kokusal Blvd and the ferris wheel, and that was enough proof to convince me.

Map

Delete, delete, delete.

Apologies, everyone, I'm too stupid to live. I was looking at the first page, thought I was looking at the last page, and replied to a 2-year-old set of messages. I'm going to go stand outside and freeze, now.

I found the following picture:

http://www.raglanroad.org/weblog/archives/DSC00009.JPG

which is from Minato Mirai in Yokohama. The strange building next to the Ferris wheel is the Intercontinental Hotel and the building on the far left is the Pan Pacific. If someone can take a look at the Ferris Wheel and roller coaster and confirm that this is the Ferris Wheel from GT3, I'd be really interested.

What this will or will not confirm is whether or not the track is in Yokohama as I suspect or actually in Tokyo near Odaiba and the Rainbow Bridge (which I know the bridge is not). I'm not sure about the Ferris Wheel, though.

Polyphony001
Well that's great coverage anyway mskao, keep at it!

Oh for Buddha's sakes...

*jams forks into eyeballs so he doesn't have to read nonsense like this ever again*

FIFTEEN PAGES in this thread. Read them.

Famine
Oh for Buddha's sakes...

*jams forks into eyeballs so he doesn't have to read nonsense like this ever again*

FIFTEEN PAGES in this thread. Read them.

Only 3. Go 100ppp slacker. :P

Seriously though, how hard is it to go to Google and search yourself, or use the search function that every single moderator harps on about and has in their dignature? Every GT thread I've read today seems to be overrun with n00bs saying "HOW DO I DO WHEELIE TRICK??" or "laguna seca dosnt realy exsist".

Strangester
as i live less then two hours from seatlle...no..it does not exist..however...there are several landmarks...and the rail tracks are a nice touch...as there are several rails in seattle..
Since this thread has been awakened anyway I might as well prove you wrong.....

Evidence Piece # 1

Evidence piece # 2

Evidence Piece # 3

So maybe you should invest in a 2 hour drive and go check Seattle out......

Famine

jesse james, in fact did race somewhere overseas for a celebrity challenge. whether or not it was tokyo, im currently not sure. im also not saying that R246 is a real track.
(im not starting anything, just stating something) thanks.

referring to Cote d'azur, this is sad, but last year in english we read "Rebecca" the people stayed in Monacco, at the Cote d'Azur hotel, so possibly thats a famous hotel there, and maybe the game folks named the track after it. as also mentioned, laguna is a real track, as ive driven past, and seen the welcome sign. i do believe grindelwald (sp?) was a real track at one point too, ill look into it tho. but i do remember reading about the same thing as someone else mentioned the ban on motorsports racing in Switz. hope something there helps. thanks

cote 'd azure is the name of the "suburb" that the circuit is in. Or is it the province? im never sure. anywho, ive been reading this for about 3/4 of an hour and i am amazed that you guys have spent so much time searching for all the circuits! personally, i thought that pd had just made them up, but since i havnt played gt3 in a while, i might need to go and have a look to do some comparing.
As for r5 and r11, the freeway systems in tokyo are so long and close together, even if it DOES exist, its quite possible that it will never be found on a map. Anyone want to go to tokyo? hehe i know for a fact that peeps in japan race Supras and the like at GT speeds on the freeways, so possibly pd wanted to portray that in the game?

Back