Which PSP to get?

• Thread starter Groundking
  • 13 comments
Depends on a lot of things. Do you like the controls of the 1000? Were you able to carry the 1000 around easily? Do you have UMD games? Do you have money to burn?

1. I loved the controls on the 1000 (the psp go looks horrible to play with control wise, the only reason why I have hesitated and asked you lot).
2. Sometimes, was hard though.
3. Yes
4. Yes

Okay, so that rules out the Go. That makes this easy.
3 more questions:
Did you use CFW and/or would you want to?
Did you have a problem with the slight blurriness of the PSP screen?
Do you want increased battery life over your Phat?

No problem.

Get a Slim. I would get a Daxter Pack (or a Star Wars, or a God of War) so you know that the motherboard is hackable (3000s and TA-088v3 Slims are technically sort of hackable, but you might as well be safe). Battery life is identical to the Phat, and you can use the battery from your 1000 (if you still have it. If not you can buy an extended battery kit) to nearly the battery life on a Slim. You are looking at around $120 if you get a Daxter pack, $100 if you risk it for a standalone system, $120 if you get the Star Wars pack and $150 if you go for the God of War pack.

I have two questions:
1) I have a PSP fat (must be the first one) and i heared that the slim and the new on has 64MB RAM in comparison with mine which has 32MB. Is there a difference in the gaming for example frame rate??

2) Gran turismo for the PSP will be compartible for all PSPs right? I mean there won't be different versions of the game?

Thank you in advance.

I have two questions:
1) I have a PSP fat (must be the first one) and i heared that the slim and the new on has 64MB RAM in comparison with mine which has 32MB. Is there a difference in the gaming for example frame rate??
You might (emphasis on might) notice the tiniest bit of difference in loading times. That's the only difference.

2) Gran turismo for the PSP will be compartible for all PSPs right? I mean there won't be different versions of the game?
There are two version, but both of them are compatible with the 1000.

I want a new PSP (my old 1000 broke :() But I don't know which version to get, advise?

-GK

The PSP1000 is the easiest PSP to work on & the parts are cheaper than parts for the 2000 or 3000.
What's wrong with your 1000?
I reapir/fix all of my friends' PSPs, if you want to fix it, I can help you w/ any questions you might have.

I buy all of my parts from: http://psxboy.com/catalog_7.html or http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.603

I also have repaired DS & DS lite & a couple of PS2s & a PS3 (the DS is a PITA to work on).

IMO, if I were you, I'd try to fix the PSP you have or get the PSP2000 (it may be the hardest PSP to work on other than the Go, but it is hackable).

Don't get the PSP Go. It has a smaller screen, and has no UMD drive. UMD isn't the best format in the world, but there are many old (but great) PSP games old the used games market that require a UMD drive to play and they are cheap.

Get either a PSP 3000 or 2000. The 3000 is a newer model and its screen has better response time (reduced ghosting) and higher contrast. People are complaining that the 3000 screen has interlacing problem (horizontal lines are more visible), although Sony are saying that the screen was designed to look like that.

I just got myself a PSP 3000, and IMO the screen is beautiful. I don't see any interlacing problem that bothers me and the contrast ratio is excellent.

BTW, I got it from Dell.com. Use bing.com to get 10% cashback (The cashback rate is 10% now, but was 15% when I bought it. Just search "dell" at bing.com and click on the ad), and check out with promotion code NQVX4R5XXSVD0T to get another $15 off (there was another 15% off code when I bought it... which has now expired). They are doing free shipping too.

Last edited:
The PSP1000 is the easiest PSP to work on & the parts are cheaper than parts for the 2000 or 3000.
Yeah, but they aren't completely interchangeable like they are on the 2000, so he could be left holding the bag if he wanted to buy new parts.

I also have repaired DS & DS lite & a couple of PS2s & a PS3 (the DS is a PITA to work on).
You're not kidding. Took me 2 hours just to change the bottom screen in mine, something that takes 20 minutes with a PSP. I also second DealExtreme. Best website like ever. I'm astounded that they make money on any of that stuff.

Yeah, but they aren't completely interchangeable like they are on the 2000, so he could be left holding the bag if he wanted to buy new parts.
Yes, you are correct. I forgot about the motherboard issues between regions.
The 2000 is the best PSP IMO.

You're not kidding. Took me 2 hours just to change the bottom screen in mine, something that takes 20 minutes with a PSP. I also second DealExtreme. Best website like ever. I'm astounded that they make money on any of that stuff.
I just finished putting a new top screen in a DS Lite for a friend & I'll never do that for free again. It took me a little over 3hrs to do.
I know dude, DealExtreme RULES!!!

Latest Posts

Back