White Privilege

• Thread starter Earth
  • 1,707 comments
Oh no, I understand precisely what would happen to someone who did that. My guess is that they would be beaten... badly. My question is why that kind of response should be expected or considered even remotely appropriate. What is the problem? That's the fundamental question.

I'm not saying that nobody would be offended, or that people would welcome it, or that nobody would think it was an attempt to mock. I'm saying what's the problem?

XkwQPHj.gif

The problem is that black facing has been used by white people to mock, humiliate and emotionally condition black people into thinking they are inferior. So to pretend that doing this as a means of support would show a strong inability to have empathy.

Regarding your Paddy’s Day example, next March 17 just try having a Guinness at an Irish bar wearing a dunce cap. I’ll lay bets you’ll find it’s pretty hard picking up your teeth with broken fingers.

Regarding your Paddy’s Day example, next March 17 just try having a Guinness at an Irish bar wearing a dunce cap. I’ll lay bets you’ll find it’s pretty hard picking up your teeth with broken fingers.
I think you'd have to affect a comedy brogue whilst wearing a leprechaun suit and derby for equivalent offence. Dunces can come from anywhere.

The problem is that black facing has been used by white people to mock, humiliate and emotionally condition black people into thinking they are inferior. So to pretend that doing this as a means of support would show a strong inability to have empathy.

It doesn't have to be that way. You don't have to assume that because people have used that in the past as a form of mockery, that someone today is doing the same. It's not inherent in painting your face. There's no reason that that has to be what it means, except that you want it to be.

I can even go so far as to give you a comedy clown examples of black face that are NOT intended to be racist, and that I think reasonable people would not be offended by. It's all about the reason someone does it.

052813-celebs-in-blackface-Dan-Aykroyd-trading-places.jpg

MOV_tropicthunder_080508.jpg

I think you'd have to affect a comedy brogue whilst wearing a leprechaun suit and derby for equivalent offence. Dunces can come from anywhere.

You're kinda skipping past the part where black face is not pure mockery.

Edit:

Also, btw, I'm not convinced that Irish people are so quick to resort to violence at the bar. Seems a bit like a stereotype.

Last edited:
It doesn't have to be that way. You don't have to assume that because people have used that in the past as a form of mockery, that someone today is doing the same. It's not inherent in painting your face. There's no reason that that has to be what it means, except that you want it to be.

I can even go so far as to give you a comedy clown examples of black face that are NOT intended to be racist, and that I think reasonable people would not be offended by. It's all about the reason someone does it.

Edit:

Also, btw, I'm not convinced that Irish people are so quick to resort to violence at the bar. Seems a bit like a stereotype.
Much like with black face at a BLM rally, I imagine it just depends on how plastic you paddy.

What's the problem?

Because you get to go home and take it off at the end of the day, without actually dealing with the reality of being black. At all. It's like trying to talk to a trauma survivor claiming you totally understand when you can not, at all, because you've never experienced it. It trivializes their situation, it turns it into a costume, it a shallow and superficial effort that demonstrates absolute ignorance of the issues surrounding it.

Again, your intention does not matter. If you think going to a BLM rally in black face is showing support, you are absolutely ignorant to the desires and feelings of the group you are claiming to support. It is exercising privilege to the extent that you will disregard the views of people you are supporting, which is a disenfranchised group that has been marginalized for ages, the history around the practice, and that you're just borrowing their culture when its convenient.

It arrogant, entitled, antagonistic and ignorant. If you can't see the problem there, I don't know what to tell you.

Edit:

You and I may not believe black face was intended as pure mockery, but were not the target of it. Sit down with black people in your community and discuss it with them, this will help your understanding of the issue far better than we can on this forum.

As for the fighting Irish, touché. Although I’ve spent time in Dublin and Belfast and have seen enough to know you need to be careful in an Irish bar. I’ve seen someone clocked just for being English and ignorant, and I’ve been threatened myself in Belfast because some guy fancied my girlfriend.

You and I may not believe black face was intended as pure mockery, but were not the target of it. Sit down with black people in your community and discuss it with them, this will help your understanding of the issue far better than we can on this forum.

As for the fighting Irish, touché. Although I’ve spent time in Dublin and Belfast and have seen enough to know you need to be careful in an Irish bar. I’ve seen someone clocked just for being English and ignorant, and I’ve been threatened myself in Belfast because some guy fancied my girlfriend.
I have some Irish blood in my background and I'm very offended by your statement that you must be careful in an Irish bar as opposed to being careful in any bar, which is not what you said. I don't care what your intent was either.

Sit down with black people in your community and discuss it with them, this will help your understanding of the issue far better than we can on this forum.
Perhaps leave the boot polish at home when you do it though.

I don't care what your intent was either.
That sounds somewhat combative.

Intent doesn't matter or so I've read...here.
I think there may be an intent horizon. Turn up at a Jewish funeral dressed as Hitler and no amount of splaining is likely to get one off the hook. People don't necessarily react with the front of their brains when their blood is up.

Looking at the Dutch tradition coming from the 1800s how many black people where even in that region at that stage, I don't know if the intent was to make fun of people that may not have even been present in the population.
Comparing it to the US is a Bad comparison though given they had a sizable population of black people.

Intent is important because people are not going to happily accept the removal of their culture for perceived reasons rather then actual ones, and you risk dividing your country.

Because you get to go home and take it off at the end of the day, without actually dealing with the reality of being black. At all. It's like trying to talk to a trauma survivor claiming you totally understand when you can not, at all, because you've never experienced it. It trivializes their situation, it turns it into a costume, it a shallow and superficial effort that demonstrates absolute ignorance of the issues surrounding it.

I didn't follow that from beginning to end. Why does it matter whether our hypothetical BLM protester can take it off at the end of the day? How is that remotely like trying to tell a trauma survivor that you get it? How is it like telling the BLM folks that you get it?

Facial characteristics are shallow and superficial. It's pretty much the definition of it.

Again, your intention does not matter.

I don't know how on earth you can say that. Intent is at the root of just about everything.

If you think going to a BLM rally in black face is showing support

Nope!

I think that we should live in a world where one could show support by making themselves look like the person they're trying to support. In other words, effectively saying, today we're all black. You
know it's not literally true when you say it, but you're there in spirit. Solidarity.

you are absolutely ignorant to the desires and feelings of the group you are claiming to support. It is exercising privilege to the extent that you will disregard the views of people you are supporting, which is a disenfranchised group that has been marginalized for ages, the history around the practice, and that you're just borrowing their culture when its convenient.

Not sure why you're punching a straw man here. I'm not ignorant of the fact that someone would most likely get beaten within an inch of their life, or possibly killed, while attempting that. I just don't support it.

It arrogant, entitled, antagonistic and ignorant. If you can't see the problem there, I don't know what to tell you.

Try, without resorting to insult.

You and I may not believe black face was intended as pure mockery

Which black face are we talking about? Because there absolutely was some that was intended as mockery 100 years ago, I'm sure there are more recent examples too.

, but were not the target of it.

Neither were just about anyone under the age of about 60 today.

Sit down with black people in your community and discuss it with them, this will help your understanding of the issue far better than we can on this forum.

I don't need to understand it better to say that Dan Aykroyd and RDJ were on solid ground. I don't need to understand it better to say that it's not automatically mocking.

Try, without resorting to insult.

Try to stop talking about the hypothetical about how it should be okay to do something that is supposedly in support of a group that very clearly doesn't want you to do that.

And, yeah, skin color is superficial but that doesn't change the fact that people of color constantly deal with adversity and bullcrap because of it. Dressing up to show support is, at best, a back handed attempt at it because you simply co-opting part of their identity because that is how you want to show support. Again, you are completely disregarding the wishes of the group you are trying to support. You disregarding the history of the method you're using.

The reason for the trauma comment is because you can say you support them, you can say you identify with them, but the reality is you can't truly. A person can't claim to understand the trauma of surviving cancer if they've not had anymore than a white person can't understand the fear that routine traffic stop will end up with them arrested or shot for no reason. If you want to show support, you do so are yourself instead of painting yourself as someone that can identify.

You can argue intent is what matters but you can have good intentions and be wildly insensitive and hurtful. One of my favorite examples of something said with good intentions but just feels awful to hear is "everything happens for a reason." It is meant to tell someone that "it will be okay and you'll figure this out" but it to someone that is dealing with a death, or worse yet the murder of a parent, etc. it just sounds insulting and cruel.

You can have great intentions and still be a crappy person.

Neither were just about anyone under the age of about 60 today.

Black face is still practiced for theater and entertainment, generally comedic, today.

I don't need to understand it better to say that Dan Aykroyd and RDJ were on solid ground. I don't need to understand it better to say that it's not automatically mocking.

You just sound arrogant here. Clearly you need to understand it better. The vibe I'm getting is you've never actually spoken to a person of color about this.

than a white person can't understand the fear that routine traffic stop will end up with them arrested or shot for no reason.

Have you actually done any research? As of Oct. 1, 2018 15 unarmed black people have been killed by cops while 19 unarmed white people have been killed by cops.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/national/police-shootings-2018/?utm_term=.117fda28fe2a

It's an issue that effects everyone, to try and make it seem like white people don't have to worry about it is just plain wrong.

Have you actually done any research? As of Oct. 1, 2018 15 unarmed black people have been killed by cops while 19 unarmed white people have been killed by cops.

There are 6 white people for every 1 black person in the United States. If that was 3 black people killed to 19 white people, it would align more with the racial composition in the US. So, you know, you're only 5 times more likely to be killed by the police if you're black, going off the numbers you just provided. This skew in figures translates to traffic stops, arrests, and incarceration.

Sure, these issues exist for white people but it is far less of an issue after you look at the demographics.

There are 6 white people for every 1 black person in the United States. If that was 3 black people killed to 19 white people, it would align more with the racial composition in the US. So, you know, you're only 5 times more likely to be killed by the police if you're black, going off the numbers you just provided. This skew in figures translates to traffic stops, arrests, and incarceration.

Sure, these issues exist for white people but it is far less of an issue after you look at the demographics.

I never said it was as big of an issue, just that its something white people have to deal with as well so it's very much possible to understand what it's like.

Are you sure you wanna go down that rabbit whole? When roughly 3% of the population in the USA commit >50% of the murders...

The relevant parameter would be levels of involvement in violent crimes or even just measuring the levels of arrests by group and then figuring out the odds of getting shot by police during an arrest. I would hazard to guess that when you control for those variables there is not much difference between whites and blacks in terms of police violence.

Because you get to go home and take it off at the end of the day, without actually dealing with the reality of being black.
Je suis Charlie.

It's really the main point, and what makes it beautiful, that people opt in that don't have to. Sure, identify it as fraught, but please not ugly. It's only a continuation of ugliness if we choose to deny the beauty of it.

People also shave their heads to show support for cancer patients. Another beautiful thing intended as a counter to the potential ugliness of mockery and self-loathing.

So an actor who hasn't been through a trauma would be trivialising it if they were to play a character with that trauma in a movie? Because they've never experienced it. They get to go home at the end of the day and "take it off".

But some could say that a great movie depiction of trauma is in fact an excellent way to communicate more about the effects that trauma can have, the issues surrounding it, and to just generally educate and engage people.

Again, your intention does not matter.

Well, that's just silly. Of course intention matters. For some things you're still going to get beaten up simply because of how the world is, but if someone is ignorant and is trying to do something good then I think that absolutely counts. If a child blacks their face so that they can look more like their favourite basketball player, that's adorable and commendable.

If you go to a foreign country and attempt to get someone a nice gift and it turns out to be a horrendous cultural faux pas, I think the intention should probably still count for something. No?

...a white person can't understand the fear that routine traffic stop will end up with them arrested or shot for no reason.

That sounds like something that anyone could understand. I'm in Australia (ie. not even America), and I don't like it at all when there are multiple armed policemen surrounding my car telling me not to move. Perhaps that's my anxiety making it worse than it "should" be, but how should one feel in that situation? Fear of arrest or shooting seems totally reasonable to me.

The cancer is a far better example. Life changing or fatal illness is something difficult to grok without going through it, although good explanations and communication can certainly get people on the same page. But let's be honest, a lot of the stuff that is bad about the black experience is stuff that happens to everyone regardless of race, it just on average tends to happen to black people more than would be normal if you were, say, white.

Which means that white people can understand, they've probably been through some of the same stuff too. All they have to do is imagine what it would be like if that stuff happened all the time. Not exactly a stretch, even for the most unimaginative person.

The issue of Black Pete in the Netherlands is an exception that proves the rule. The act of black facing in the past was intended to portray black people as a caricature; stupid, clownish, without grace and unable to be successful in modern (read, white) society.

Sure, this is meant as a joke, but let’s look at it as a black person. Living in the United states, you are very much in the minority and the only real way you are represented is as a caricature. There is no mention of all the things African Americans did to help the advancement of this country. Over time, you come to think that this is offensive, especially at a time when African Americans are battling what they see (and so do I) as institutional and cultural racism.

Turning up to a Black Lives Matter protest as a black-faced white person is the height of white privelige. It’s not for me as a white person to claim that I don’t mean any offense when I’d be wearing the exact thing that’s been used by white people to mock black people for generations. Its not for any white person to decide what’s offensive for other races.

Again, as someone who is half black and gets seen as black by others because of certain traits I have that are supposedly predominant to one of my ethnicity more than the other, I get seen that way. Yet someone in said caricature based on a culture and having a history of it and celebrating said person is quite different to what you just gave as an example in the end.

Second as I said in my previous post, you just showed how you've taken your world view, and rather than put yourself in their perspective you instead took over and put black people from Americas perspective in place instead. And talked about how if it was done here it'd essentially be wrong. Yet why that example is being used when it should not be is the issue. Because the place we're talking about isn't America for one, so again it'd be silly to put your world view over theirs and expect your world view to be followed, I know it's mind blowing stuff that there could possibly be multiple world views, but it is a reality.

So I should be offended when someone pretends to be black or brown...because they don't know my supposed plight that every black or brown person supposedly faces or at least a majority do. Again I really am struggling to see where this plight is coming from, still have yet to get a solid answer from anyone suggesting this when they bring it up. Especially from Pocket and Turbo who just either ignore the post or the thread. I mean if people want to have so Red Cross telethon mentality in their head every time they think about colored people, then so be it. However, to think this is reality when it isn't and then make some argument to humanity that would be best saved for a time or place that actually faces this, is what really confuses and frustrates me.

To further this I would guess it's best that people who act in movies or plays should never take up roles that depict war veterans, never take up roles that emulate a parent of a dead child or spouse or other family member, especially if it is retelling history. Never play someone who has been raped, domestically abused, or commits suicide and so forth. Because all of these are just "Acts" and in the end these dramatizations are just that and those people acting them get to go home after and not really have to understand those who actually faced this stuff. To me that's the same situation you've just described, yet it's not that sinister.

Again, your intention does not matter. If you think going to a BLM rally in black face is showing support, you are absolutely ignorant to the desires and feelings of the group you are claiming to support. It is exercising privilege to the extent that you will disregard the views of people you are supporting, which is a disenfranchised group that has been marginalized for ages, the history around the practice, and that you're just borrowing their culture when its convenient.

Yes it does, because if you think that simply being offended and then reacting to said offending in any way is right, rather than trying to understand the intent, that seems quite irrational. I can see why people would be offended, but then again it's confusing exclusion on the offset because of the fact that even without something like this happening they already think certain groups could never understand them. So if a white person can't understand them as a white person, shouldn't do something to make them inclusive on the outside to show they're all the same inward, what else is left? Are you saying that a group of black people today are the only people that understand their issues? Issues that they claim at times are on level with Jim Crow era living? Or being the new slaves, and thus equating it with American Slavery? Some of whom were actually African natives forced to migrate here which a modern black american probably has no possible way of understanding their plight and yet they have a plight of similar magnitude?

I feel it's equally the same the other way, I agree with you to the limited extent that yes, black face can be offensive. Though at times I find it strange people can play characters who are white or known as white while not white yourself it's okay. However, you try to do so with a black character or other race while not being that race or more so being white, and it's absolutely appalling. All based on the notion again (full circle now) that whites have not faced persecution or have a history of similar issues and thus it's not offensive if anything its something to strive for because they have privilege. Seems quite narrow in scope, ignorant, judgmental, and arrogant as well as antagonistic.

Okay going by that standard it is just as bad or worse to be Hispanic because looking at the total police shootings to date there have been 191 black people killed compared to 123 Hispanics. Depending on what stats you use, their numbers population wise are similar to that of Blacks. So I should be in fear every time I walk out the door cause I have the worst of both world within me. Dang.

Or perhaps it's something everyone should fear since 369 whites have been killed which is more than both groups put together. Yet the magnitude is still worse when you factor in at best this is 25-27 % of the population being shot at a rate only slightly lower that the 70% population. Factor in the fact that the U.S. has a high rate of police shooting of citizens compared to other developed nations and it starts to not really matter what you look like.

Last edited:
People get offended by all kinds of things whether it makes sense or not. There's no possibility of deciding what someone else can get offended by, they'll do it whether you want them to or not.

The question was not whether anyone would get offended - someone always gets offended, by anything. The question was what's the problem? Why is it wrong for someone to put on black face out of solidarity? Why is that white privilege? Surely you're claiming that it is exactly NOT white privilege to do so out of concern for offense to others right?

It is your place to decide whether you were intending offense. You can't control whether someone else will be offended by it, but you know your intent.

Once again, if someone wants to put on black face to join a black lives matter protest in solidarity with their fellow man... what on earth is the problem with that? Why should anyone take offense? It's not belittling, it's not mocking, it's not a caricature, it's not making yourself a clown, it's a celebration.

I guess the problem is difference in intent and perception. Perhaps another example is the difference in how men and women perceive things. So both need to be considerate (again show empathy) on how they will be perceived. So good natured intent needs to consider the perception of an action/statement.

A person can't claim to understand the trauma of surviving cancer if they've not had anymore than

You don't have to claim to fully understand it to empathize and show support.

You can argue intent is what matters but you can have good intentions and be wildly insensitive and hurtful. One of my favorite examples of something said with good intentions but just feels awful to hear is "everything happens for a reason." It is meant to tell someone that "it will be okay and you'll figure this out" but it to someone that is dealing with a death, or worse yet the murder of a parent, etc. it just sounds insulting and cruel.

You can have great intentions and still be a crappy person.

Absolutely. My favorite example is wealth redistribution. In your example, the intent was to make someone feel better and they made it worse because they have differing worldviews. That doesn't make the person a crappy person. If you truly understand the reason, intent, sentiment that they're trying to convey with the phrase "everything happens for a reason", you won't be offended, even if you're not religious. Because all that they're trying to say, in their own twisted and confused way, is that someone who loves them and can see the future knows it will work out. And that should be comforting. I'd like to think that I wouldn't be offended by this comment, and would take it in the spirit that it was intended. Comfort from someone who is wildly confused.

On the otherhand, wealth redistribution is good intent and makes those people crappy - that's because they're actually harming others with their good intent. It's one thing to say something stupid without meaning to, it's another thing to punch someone in the face because you think it will make someone else happy.

Black face is still practiced for theater and entertainment, generally comedic, today.

Where? I mean I'm not surprised that it's going on somewhere, but not to a degree that requires a national spotlight and cultural awareness.

Je suis Charlie.
People also shave their heads to show support for cancer patients. Another beautiful thing intended as a counter to the potential ugliness of mockery and self-loathing.

Gah! That was the example I came up with in the shower last night and I was so excited to bring it into this thread and you got there first! 👍

If a child blacks their face so that they can look more like their favourite basketball player, that's adorable and commendable.

Thank you, yes.

That sounds like something that anyone could understand. I'm in Australia (ie. not even America), and I don't like it at all when there are multiple armed policemen surrounding my car telling me not to move. Perhaps that's my anxiety making it worse than it "should" be, but how should one feel in that situation? Fear of arrest or shooting seems totally reasonable to me.

Or, say, when you visit a draconian foreign country and honestly wonder whether you'll be allowed to leave. An experience that even lowly white people can have. :)

Which means that white people can understand, they've probably been through some of the same stuff too. All they have to do is imagine what it would be like if that stuff happened all the time. Not exactly a stretch, even for the most unimaginative person.

QFT

Though at times I find it strange people can play characters who are white or known as white while not white yourself it's okay. However, you try to do so with a black character or other race while not being that race or more so being white, and it's absolutely appalling.

That's such a strong point.

I guess the problem is difference in intent and perception. Perhaps another example is the difference in how men and women perceive things. So both need to be considerate (again show empathy) on how they will be perceived. So good natured intent needs to consider the perception of an action/statement.

Yes I think it does (if they can). But I think the larger point I was trying to make here is that this should be the goal - to get to a point where we can leave behind racist actions that were performed by people who died decades ago, and embrace a culture of equality - which skin color really is superficial. I think that world is closer than some of the folks in this thread seem to think. RDJ did such a great job in tropic thunder, and I don't think that folks jumped to the conclusion that he was mocking anyone but his own character in the movie. I'd like to see people trying to edge their psyche away from the knee-jerk offense rather than toward it, because not getting offended has to be the end goal.

Yes I think it does (if they can). But I think the larger point I was trying to make here is that this should be the goal - to get to a point where we can leave behind racist actions that were performed by people who died decades ago, and embrace a culture of equality - which skin color really is superficial. I think that world is closer than some of the folks in this thread seem to think. RDJ did such a great job in tropic thunder, and I don't think that folks jumped to the conclusion that he was mocking anyone but his own character in the movie. I'd like to see people trying to edge their psyche away from the knee-jerk offense rather than toward it, because not getting offended has to be the end goal.

I agree. In an ideal world (without racism) that goodnatured blackface, squinted asian eyes etc. isnt perceived as offensive. However that isnt a reality. In my perception for example when someone squint his eyes to try to look asian is still very offensive.

upload_2018-11-21_16-38-51.jpeg
upload_2018-11-21_16-40-26.jpeg

I agree. In an ideal world (without racism) that goodnatured blackface, squinted asian eyes etc. isnt perceived as offensive. However that isnt a reality. In my perception for example when someone squint his eyes to try to look asian is still very offensive.

There is no such thing as is offensive. Unless you mean is offensive to someone somewhere. In which case I would agree with you that almost anything you do or say can be offensive to someone somewhere - especially if you're Jewish, because there are a lot of people who are offended by your mere existence in that case.

Or maybe you meant is offensive to me, in which case I would encourage you to try to actually determine whether the person was trying to mock or belittle by their actions before taking offense.

There is no such thing as is offensive. Unless you mean is offensive to someone somewhere. In which case I would agree with you that almost anything you do or say can be offensive to someone somewhere - especially if you're Jewish, because there are a lot of people who are offended by your mere existence in that case.

Or maybe you meant is offensive to me, in which case I would encourage you to try to actually determine whether the person was trying to mock or belittle by their actions before taking offense.

I deliberatly stated "In my perception" as in offensive to me. So yes I meant that, perhaps I wasnt clear in my wording.

However that isnt a reality. In my perception for example when someone squint his eyes to try to look asian is still very offensive.

The intent is more often then not irrelevant when you take something in offense. That is what I meant with being considerate or show empathy.

That said. In an ideal world it should not be taken as offensive, because in an ideal world everybody is good natured, but in reality it just isnt. Like good natured blackface is rarer then good natured blackface.A simple google search:

a3f67b3cd1ef789393d223ea49ed290998bf4a5e80cbe14c676e383c50fba13e_large

n-word.jpg

o-ZIMMERMAN-HALLOWEEN-COSTUME-570.jpg

example of goodnatured blackface, that is not perceived by many as offensive:

photo.jpg

The Asian in the picture doesn't look offended to me.

Difficult to say. But its hard to know without context. He also cannot see the others, because he is looking towards the camera. But the point i was making is the difference in intent and perception. This photo with miley Cirus squinting could be good natured and a group of tight nit friends. But it also is likely to be people mocking him for being asian.

In my perception it looks like mocking (regardless of intent), but it apparantly doesnt to you. So that is what I mean in difference in intent is often irrelevant.

Last edited:
Back