Who appreciates Standard Cars?

  • Thread starter Thread starter FishHunters
  • 167 comments
  • 10,517 views
Messages
1,973
United States
Florida - USA
Messages
Flsurffisher
The first time through it was ALL about premium cars for me. If I didn't have a premium car for an A-spec event I went out and bought one. I only used Standard cars for B-Spec events but most of those I didn't watch. I'd get the B-spec event started and go do something else.

However, this time through I've only bought the one initial car and only won 8 other premiums so it's all about the standards and I've started to appreciate what some of them can do and how some of them look.

Don't get me wrong I definitely wish there were more Premiums in the game however, some of the standards are beauties in style, looks or ability!
 
Last edited:
Who appreciates Standard Cars?

I don't know if most people would vote to make them all just plain vanish if given the chance to do so. Most of us would rather keep than versus not have them at all. Many of them are cars that almost nobody will ever actually bother driving in the game, but some of them are neat cars. It's just that they're sub-standard game models of limited polygon detail and typically poor texturing, which is the problematic part.

Now, if we could somehow choose between having them with their current sub-standard modeling or having them as Premiums, we would all vote for having them as Premiums. We can't do that so we just accept them as they are.
 
This is really weird because I feel more comfortable in a standard car. Don't get me wrong, racing in the interior view of the XJ13 with the HUD off is certainly one of the best experiences you can have with the game, but I just prefer standard cars.

That's probably because many of my favourite cars are standard, like the Dodge Charger, CLK Touring Car and Nissan R92CP, and I really love driving these cars more than anything else.

Anyway, I digress. Yes, I definitely appreciate standard cars, and despite all the flak PD's been getting because of them, I think their inclusion is one of the best programming decisions I've ever seen. Without them, we'd be in the same scenario as with GT3, and with "only" 200 cars, GT3 for me never felt complete.
 
Me! Infact, most of the cars I collect are standards. Driving my peugot 206 rally car around Eiger is fun even with no interior view.
 
The biggest thing for me with the premiums is the interior/cockpit view. Some of the A spec races I ran a Standard (such as the Lupo) because I didn't have any other choices. I wouldn't mind the standards as they are if they at least had the cockpit view.
 
-> I appreciate standard cars too! Heck, even if GT5 applied all standard cars just to get more cars; I could've been more happier!
 
I love standard cars! Some of them are really good - Touring cars, R92CP, Sauber C9, V12 LMR, GT-One etc.
 
Me , most of my cars are standard , and i even cancel buying some premium cars i want, to buy standards
 
I liked the rarity of the standard cars, I just felt like that alone was worth way more of my time than any premuim car. I also felt more comfortable with them. But Then the trading market fell apart and now nothing is sacred anymore - so I've started focusing on premiums. However, I'm still pretty ****ing loyal to my standards.

As much as I would like to have 1,000 GT-grade premium cars - I doubt we'll ever see that with this current roster of vehicles. Even in GT6. So the inclusion of these standard cars is extremely welcomed, especially when you consider how pathetic GT5 would be without them.

Just wish they could've integrated them a little better so that it doesn't seem like there is such a huge divide between them. They just look world's apart, as if you're playing two different games between the Standards and the Premiums.
 
I never use cockpit view on the cars, so the premium vs standard isn't really an issue for me. While I agree the majority of the standard cars are pixelated and all, some of them actually look good and you hardly notice the difference with a premium car (Vette race car comes to mind).

Since most of my faves are standards (RUFs, C9, CLK, ...), I don't have any reason not to love them :)
 
Ya I love standards.

My ratio of standard to premium cars is about 5:1 I'd say.

I use the bumper cam and so the lack of cockpit isn't a downfall for me really.

As some others have said, many of my fav cars are rendered standard so I'm checking to UCD all the time. Actually kinda ocd with checking lol.
 
Im on about a 7:1 ratio of standards to premiums and race using bumper cam (if thats what its called?) so I love standards :-D
 
I only drive premiums if I have too...all the tasty aero modifications make premiums very expensive for me :P I love the standard cars, sure if they could all be premium it would be awesome. The thing is if you only drive premiums the game becomes very boring, it did for me anyway. So many styles of cars, so many gems, monster killers, etc...reside in the UCD.

I am an 80's man so standards are my honey pot.
 
I prefer standards simply because they take less time to make. If PD ever starts to upgrade standards to premiums, I would consider it a waste of time.

I like nice graphics as much as the next guy, but visuals are such a small thing compared to the rest of the game that I don't think 6 months per car can be justified.
 
If you don't love at least 50 standard cars you don't have a soul.
 
I prefer premiums simply because of the cockpit view, but tend to use standards more often.
 
Of course I appreciate them a lot. +1

I bought a G20 and loads of oldschool japanese muscle yesterday. :)
 
There are a lot of great standard cars in the game. So many GT300/500 cars, not to mention the street car variations.


The game wouldn't be the same without the standards.
 
I have no problem with the standard cars. As long as it's a car I want to drive, I don't really care about it's polygon count.
 
I've been trying to drive Standards more lately, and I'm enjoying them. When I first played GT5, it was all about the Premiums; I didn't even look in the UCD for my first car. :P
But now, I like driving and collecting the Standards just to get the experience. Most of them are actually quite good.
 
I appreciate it but not all. Some should be premiums and some cars that look rather bad should not have been included.
 
Honestly, the variety is much better. Not only that but they perform just as well as premium cars. And I don't even see my car other than replays because I drive bumper cam. So I appeciate them. Half of them don't look that bad anyway.
 
I enjoy the standard cars as much as the premium cars.
 
Always using bumper view so couldn't really care less :P Would like to take a few of them to photomode though but rarely use it so its no big deal.

But I want the AI to drive mostly premium, looks better :D
 
kjeezy23
Half of them don't look that bad anyway.

So 400 do?

Its the lack of cockpit that does it for me.
A premium cockpit on a standard car I wouldn't worry at all about.

Maybe a decent hood view.
 
-> Another thing, PD wasted their time on developing premium cars and glitzy graphics. :indiff:

granturismo2.jpg


^ Just imagine, if GT5 was 100% standard w/ minor tweaks (for damage & customization); then GT5 would've aquired more updated cars (more Ferrari's, Ruf's, Lambo's, Maserati's, Bentley's, etc.), return some of the cars that were featured on past GT games (Del Sol LM, Copperhead/Concept Car, Euro Accord Type-R, etc.) and maybe the car count would be close to 1800-2200 cars!!! :eek:

complexstring.jpg


^ Even with the graphical downgrade on cars, GT5 would've have more race tracks from past GT's (Complex String, SSR11, Red Rock Valley, Grindelwald, Seattle Short, etc.) and real life tracks (Silverstone, Spa, VIR, Mount Panorama, etc.). :dopey:
 
I don't mind standard cars. Sure it sucks you can't take them into travel photo mode. I don't even use the cockpit view 100% of the time as I find the visibility is not the greatest, as I tend to use the rooftop cam.
 
I Love my standsrd cars, you know why? Well, moste of my favortie cars are standard.
 
Better than nothing, it'd be cool though if they made standards have blacked out cockpit view like the ones in GT: PSP
 
Back