Who appreciates Standard Cars?

  • Thread starter Thread starter FishHunters
  • 167 comments
  • 10,517 views
Before GT5 came out, I thought I'd like the standards almost as much as premiums.

In the first few months of playing the game, I realized that I was disappointed with standards and generally opted for premiums.

Now, however, I like both breeds equally: no car is better just because it's premium.

I like it the way it is now :D
 
I love any car that do the job with the less amount of modifications... Premium or standard, I do not discriminate...
 
I don't mind them, and theres nothing wrong with them. However if PD was to decide to make them all premium I wouldn't object..
 
I actually am fond of a few of them, CTR2 Baby. They are not as refined as the premiums and no in car view, but many of them are still a blast to Drive. Hopefully the conversions come.
 
Never judge a book by it's cover. I love the soul of standards because for me thats what Gran Turismo is about not fancy details on the wing but a machine that you comnect with emotionally. Sure I love premiums and would love to collect them all but some of those mentalist cars like the C9, R8 LMP, Pagani Zonda LM just get me. I do prefer premiums to standards when it comes to looks and because the Ferraris and McLarens are premium I tend to buy more of them. Buying cars from the UCD though is about the nicest feeling I get. Especially when I've been looking for a car for so long. It really is about what's inside the pixelated textures and bland shapes.
 
They're ALL standard cars to me.
I don't use the cockpit view because it shakes...and the shaking gives me a headache.

I wish that we could paint and change wheels on them as well as put on a carbon fiber hood (like my son has on his real life '04 WRX).
 
I wouldn't have much of a problem with them if PD hadn't done stuff to sabotage them in the game, or if the roster wasn't so painfully padded.
 
I check the UCD after every race without fail ... unless I've needed a certain car for one of the seasonals I am still yet to properly cycle through the premium dealership. I think that pretty much sums up the importance of the standard cars ... I really can't wait to see some of the more historically significant vehicles updated to premium spec though! 👍
 
Most of the best cars are standard so we have to like them!
 
I like them, mainly due to I had them in the previous games. This is not applied to those pixelated and ugly (Dahiatsus, numerous Nissans...) ones.
 
Last edited:
Mainly the race cars
but i prefer the premiums only because of the customization
if I could change body kits and rims on standards I doubt id even drive premiums as much
 
I appreciate the standard cars, since most of the classic American muscle cars are standard level. When I'm driving the Shelby GT350R, I'm not concerned about the pixels and whatnot, I'm just happy to be driving a GT350!
 
I'd prefer Polyphony Digital to remodel the standard cars and recycled tracks from GT4. I thought I was playing GT5, not GT4 HD. Most of my favorite cars are standard models, and it's painful to see them looking so poorly.
 
Couldn't care much less if a car were either. I run bumper cam, as I've always done, even on premiums - my screen is pretty small, and the cockpit cams of some cars make it quite difficult to see. Driving the Gallardo with cockpit cam is a bit like driving with a medieval knight's helmet, or in a letterbox. And I don't like using a narrower angle, it feels strange when speed/spatial awareness is mucked about with.

It would be nice if I could change the wheels on a standard. And I don't like the wings you can get - they're invariably way too large, or oddly positioned, and make the car look ridiculous.
 
I race bumper cam, so there is literally no difference as far as I'm concerned. Don't get me wrong, more options for photo mode would be good, but lets be honest, is that really what a racing game is about?
 
I love the standards, I never race cockpit view anyway. I like the nismos and the carbon r. I enjoy the crx,s integras, and type r cars.
 
No i do not, maybe some like the Le-mans racers, and the some like the veyron and jag xf, otherwise, they look absolutely out of place, after driving the premiums for so long, example ZZII, i couldn't bear look at it, despite it being a great car.
 
I'd prefer Polyphony Digital to remodel the standard cars and recycled tracks from GT4. I thought I was playing GT5, not GT4 HD. Most of my favorite cars are standard models, and it's painful to see them looking so poorly.

This 👍

My exact thoughts... most of my favourite cars are standards, so I like them a lot :)
 
I like a couple of them. Don't really mind that the graphics are lesser, but mind the limited views. It's not like I am checking out the 200,000 polygons of the headlight bulbs in the premium cars while I am racing, anyways. Just gimme six or seven view choices including a good in-car and hood-cam and I wouldn't notice the difference.
 
I Love my standard cars, you know why? Well, moste of my favortie cars are standard.

Agreed. 👍
 
I do. There are numerous hidden gems if you look hard enough.
 
I prefer to have standard cars than no cars at all...
 
There's more variety and depth. More rally cars, touring cars, LMP's, sweet road cars and tuners. I bought an Alpine A310 and sent a Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C2) from the UCD in my 2nd account to my main account. Why? Cause they're awesome. I always know what I'll see in the NCD. But the UCD is different every time. 👍
 
I have 60 cars in my garage, 42 standards, and 18 premiums, what does THAT say!!!!

Favourite standards I have are the Ford Escort WRC (love the Escorts), Jaguar XFR, Dodge Charger, and of course my Plymouth Superbird
 
I don't mind the standards at all, but there are quite a few with some very bad jagged spots on them.
 
the best cars in the game are standard so yes keep the standards.
 
I drive bumper view, so they are all the same except their performance.
 
I have standard cars. Rather have them than have nothing but that's silly. We could have a good few more premiums in their place surely. So yeah. I do not see the point. Instead of making gt5 bigger and better they add all of gt4 and gtpsp. Doesn't make sense to me.
 
Just imagine, if GT5 was 100% standard w/ minor tweaks (for damage & customization); then GT5 would've aquired more updated cars (more Ferrari's, Ruf's, Lambo's, Maserati's, Bentley's, etc.), return some of the cars that were featured on past GT games (Del Sol LM, Copperhead/Concept Car, Euro Accord Type-R, etc.) and maybe the car count would be close to 1800-2200 cars!!! :eek:

I would be all for this. I don't think the premiums add much to the game, as nice as they look. Eye candy like them should be strictly side lined until the rest of the game has been polished enough.

Even if GT5 was all standard, but still only 1000 cars, I'd be fine. PD would have more time to work on AI, online, tuning, damage, a real paint system, and a few other things.
 
Back