Who appreciates Standard Cars?

  • Thread starter Thread starter FishHunters
  • 167 comments
  • 10,517 views
Play gt4 then

How is GT4 even remotely close to anything in my post?

It isn't. GT4 is simply lacking. There is no online, painfully underdeveloped physics, less cars, no damage, no weather. It's a step back in every sense. Unless the only thing you can see is the number of polygons on a car I guess.
 
It's the reason why such a great roster of cars is possible. I heavily enjoy the fact that I can drive some of my favorite cars in the game even if only in standard forms. The only thing I ask is for Polyphony to let standard cars be used in Picture Mode and some of the awesome standard cars to be upgraded to premium.
 
Its a game renowned for its graphics. But your post was basically saying lets only have gt4 cars in. If that was the case it would of bombed. Lets be honest. The cars on a car game are one of the most important things, lets all have ps2 graphics on the ps3 . I like standard cars because of the car it's poorly trying to represent. I would love it a whole lot more if the lovely car was actually, lovely.

Photo mode is used to show the high quality premium cars in such detail the in game rendering can't.
Standard cars are almost certainly at 100% detail in game. So photo mode for that is pointless.

Why can't most admit it.
They under achieved on quantity and pointlessly over achieved on quality. Then include old PAST IT games to fill the gap. And most of us think thats great. Just.... Lol.

I love the game. Just tired of the people saying premiums don't matter. In that case a pc sim is where you wonna be my friend.
 
Last edited:
I would be all for this. I don't think the premiums add much to the game, as nice as they look. Eye candy like them should be strictly side lined until the rest of the game has been polished enough.

Even if GT5 was all standard, but still only 1000 cars, I'd be fine. PD would have more time to work on AI, online, tuning, damage, a real paint system, and a few other things.

This is a tough one. I LOVE the HD of the premiums. The more realism in looks the better, I think. The # of cars??? In my frist go round I was closing in on 300. But the grind would have made achieving 1000 cars a year or greater endeavor. Would I give up the premiums for more standards? If PD was going to wait 6 years for the next version maybe, if GT6 was going to be 2-3 years away; definitely not. As soon as the next version comes out the old one goes away.
 
I guess what I need to say in short is I like the standards and am glad they are there but I wish more were premium. I like seeing the interior and I like seeing them realistically rendered on the track!
 
I have 350 standards and 100 premiums... so you got the answer... I love them to the bits... and most because my favorite cars are in 90% of time, standards....
 
It's just a shame that out of the 1000 cars, 800 have to be found on a random schedule. :(
 
Its a game renowned for its graphics.

PD could change that and make GT a game renowned for its gameplay instead.

If that was the case it would of bombed.
Maybe, though I feel that it would have a lot to due with the fact that the only thing PD really ever showed was graphics. In all the years leading up to release, the relevant information was sprinkled here and there, while PD just showed off photos of cars that said nothing about the game.

Why can't most admit it.
They under achieved on quantity and pointlessly over achieved on quality. Then include old PAST IT games to fill the gap. And most of us think thats great. Just.... Lol.

I love the game. Just tired of the people saying premiums don't matter. In that case a pc sim is where you wonna be my friend.

What is there to admit? Premiums don't matter. The fact is, that's my opinion. And the fact is, it's not your opinion. I don't see the standards as old, I see them as more. Had PD gone all premium, we would have had less cars and the game would not have been as good in my mind.

And what PC sim is an exact copy of GT5, without premium polygon count? I like GT5, GT5 is where I want to be, and I'll keep voicing my opinion on it. This thread asked for opinions on the car models, and I gave mine.

I've already come to realize that some people like the premium cars, so I'm against taking them out of the game. What I am against is PD chasing pointlessly high polygon counts and making those counts a priority. They can have highly detailed cars, but when most of the dev time goes into car models that the game can't even fully use, and the rest of the game suffers, I don't see the point.
 
Traviizter
It's just a shame that out of the 1000 cars, 800 have to be found on a random schedule. :(

Agree, my only complaint about them is not being able to buy them with untouched odometers. :irked:

Other than that, they're great. Zonda, Accord type-R, Jag E-Type Coupe... The game wouldn't be the same without them.
 
I like standards, although some look better than others(Option Stream Z has to be the worst).

My biggest gripe with them, is that my most used feature in the game is photomode and when I take photos of a standard I can't always take the shots I would like. But it makes it that much more gratifying when you get a really nice shot with one without having to edit it post-GT5.
 
Agree, my only complaint about them is not being able to buy them with untouched odometers. :irked:

Other than that, they're great. Zonda, Accord type-R, Jag E-Type Coupe... The game wouldn't be the same without them.

Untouched odometeres is a new thing how can it affect the game, in no other GT game has naybody cared about 0 miles its only because you can trade that people want 0 miles if you couldnt trade you'd just accept the miles on the car and get on with the game.
 
I know the standards are good. My argument is they shouldn't be standard at all. They should be better. And premiums a bit worse to save time. Not that much different though.
There should be a premium skyline GTS-T and the current one. No more. Not five million. Then we would have a smaller but very relevant car list.
 
calico
Untouched odometeres is a new thing how can it affect the game, in no other GT game has naybody cared about 0 miles its only because you can trade that people want 0 miles if you couldnt trade you'd just accept the miles on the car and get on with the game.

Nope, I do care about the mileage, back at GT4 my most driven cars were the ones I've bought brand new. But each to their own. ;)
 
I don't have any problem with the standards because I focus on the driving mechanics and not the small details of the cars. As long as it drives realistically I don't car what it looks like.
 
i have only about 310 cars, about 260 of these are standards, the premium/standard thing for me is a ridiculous and i drive in bumper cam anyway so it doesnt make a difference to me, loads of standard cars are awesome drives
 
Me! Infact, most of the cars I collect are standards. Driving my peugot 206 rally car around Eiger is fun even with no interior view.

Me too, I prefer to to have a view from the outside ( camera behind the car ).
If I purchase a good looking car ( Nismo 270 R ) , I want to see it while I'm racing.

Jacques
 
I appreciate 'em.. They're harder to find thus grabbing hold of one feels much more satisfying.

Biggest drawback for me is indeed the fact they look awful and I can't change the wheels.
 
I love them, I do wish we can put rims on them but they are a blast. Im glad they are in the game.
 
I was very worried about the high proportion of 'standard' models in the run up to release.

My fears were unfounded however... on the majority of replays you can't see the difference and having played the previous 4 main iterations of GT on the 'dial' view it doesn't bother me to do it again. I prefer the cockpit view mostly, but the standard models certainly aren't unenjoyable.
 
I have a new hate. People saying they love finding them. This has nothing to do with that. They could of had the same car lot with premiums !
 
I dig the standards, too. Count me in.

Even if I'm racing a Premium, I don't always use the cockpit view. I do my best (fastest) driving with hood/roof cam.
 
I dig the standards, too. Count me in.

Even if I'm racing a Premium, I don't always use the cockpit view. I do my best (fastest) driving with hood/roof cam.

Parnelli, it's a pleasure to know you're are still around.?
I still remember your great stories from GT2 lol
Parnelli's GT2 stories.

Jacques
 
Parnelli, it's a pleasure to know you're are still around.?
I still remember your great stories from GT2 lol
Parnelli's GT2 stories.

Jacques

True... I still remember that times... even if I was only a damn observer on the forums...

And agree with mr. Parnelli on the hood/roof cam... my fastest times are done in these cams too.
 
Standards are well good , just think of it as GT4 cars with more immersive handling and a range of engine noises that are much better.
 
So a PS2 car with nice physics ?
Still a PS2 car.

Making a sequel whilst on the same gen console , using the previous content is okay usually.

But even FIFA used new stuff when making the new game for PS3 and didn't use PS2 stuff. EVEN FIFA lol they use the same game and re-name it every year xD But even they used new stuff when jumping consoles.

No-one does it.

Making the console jump really NEEDS new content.


If you do not care about the premiums, and like the standards more, it's either because your obsessed with GT4 or you like the cars in the standards list. Which returns to my argument, wouldn't it be nice if that lovely standard car was premium. Hmm nice thought that isn't it. would it be nice if they didn't include the 300 duplicate cars and all other standards and made a whole lot more premiums, carefully chosen to cover a large car base. Then you might get the GT5 version of your car. Great stuff. So think twice before saying standards are good, they may of robbed you your favourite car in its full HD high polygon count glory. Get my argument now ?

Wish the Skyline GTS-T was premium, hate the standard version, looks awful.

But good drifter.

Doesn't look a million miles off the GTR as well. Shouldn't be too hard.

GT5 ftw ! GT4 and GTPSP "ported over fill in content wasting GT5 development time" NOT ftw
 
Last edited:
Back