Who appreciates Standard Cars?

  • Thread starter Thread starter FishHunters
  • 167 comments
  • 10,517 views
If i should be honest, as a former forza 3 member and a very active cruise/photomeet organizer, gt5 didnt brought that "feeling" when i come to styling cars.

But gt5 has much better physics, and its actually fun to drive the cars. The huga amount of standard cars is also good, and i like the "feeling" that you never know what you will find in the garage. Seriously, i wouldnt mind if gt5 only had like 1000 standard cars, but with more detailed tuning options etc.

According to me, i could be happy if gt5, was like gt4 with updated graphics, physics, and online play. Thats it. Keep it simple and clean. Sure the premium cars look great, but most of my favorite ones are standard, so i dont really mind the premiums. To bad, that PD didnt implement the wheels from gt4, so you could change wheels on standard cars, hope they will fix that in a future update.
 
90% of the cars I like to drive are standard. There are several awful ones in the bunch, but their quality isn't bad overall. It would be even better if we were able to choose from a limited list of rims. The ASL Garaiya's sunflower seed-looking rims would be the first to go!
 
@ No_OBsT33R Those still look very bad. Your photography is nice but you can't cover up the dated rendering of the cars.

Having 750-800 cars that are PSP or PS2 graphics is really bad for a PS3 game. Of course they all shouldn't be premium since many of these are redundant cars that nobody cares for (hundreds of Skylines, RX7s, Civics, S2000s, NSXs, Miatas and so on) but GT5 needs a lot more premium cars.
 
I really cant see why the wheels cant be changed on standard cars? It was possible in GT4 so the wheel parts are seperate from the car from the beginning. I'm a big fan of standard cars. Without them GT5 would be pretty dull.
 
If i should be honest, as a former forza 3 member and a very active cruise/photomeet organizer, gt5 didnt brought that "feeling" when i come to styling cars.

But gt5 has much better physics, and its actually fun to drive the cars. The huga amount of standard cars is also good, and i like the "feeling" that you never know what you will find in the garage. Seriously, i wouldnt mind if gt5 only had like 1000 standard cars, but with more detailed tuning options etc.

According to me, i could be happy if gt5, was like gt4 with updated graphics, physics, and online play. Thats it. Keep it simple and clean. Sure the premium cars look great, but most of my favorite ones are standard, so i dont really mind the premiums. To bad, that PD didnt implement the wheels from gt4, so you could change wheels on standard cars, hope they will fix that in a future update.

I agree with you buddy... My collection of standards is always growing and sometimes I'm forced to do the same to my premium collection one. But its not the same, i've got a weird feeling about the division of the cars in 2 "worlds"...

And yeah, hell yeah... just let us change and paint our wheels on standard cars and that will be like SUPER awesome. I remember some discussion with you about how "stupid" a 700hp Supra look with stock wheels and I simply can't agree more with you. I've got 4 MKIV Supras in my garage and all they need is a new set of cool shoes.
 
I really cant see why the wheels cant be changed on standard cars? It was possible in GT4 so the wheel parts are seperate from the car from the beginning. I'm a big fan of standard cars. Without them GT5 would be pretty dull.
The wheels should also be separate from the car in gt5 standards cars,m beacuse they get dirty when you drive in dust, etc. Otherwise fail.
 
I never use interior view, I hardly view replays, only used the photo mode about twice and I hardly see much difference on track. I appreciate the work that's gone into making premiums but it won't sway me in making a purchase. Only down point is they don't allow custom wheels on standard, my only little gripe.
 
I was hesitating a bit in the beginning and thought that only premiums were worth driving and that the standards perhaps could do as some sort of collection just for the sake of collecting cars.

But now I have changed completely, I have no problem driving standard cars, and I'm happy that they are in the game because some of the cars that is the most fun to drive are standard models. And really, it doesn't matter at all when driving - they feel real. And the diversity is sick! Tell me what other racing game that has a Honda S800 racing car from the 1960's? Such an awesome part of racing history, I love taking it to the ring :)

---

EDIT: Alright, they could do with a little touchup and a little paint, but really, graphics isn't everything in the gaming world these days. Look at Minecraft, or World of Warcraft even, their success is not based on graphics. Graphics can only take you so far, but to fill the shiny surface (or pixelated surface) with content is what actually gives success. After all, no matter how good quality the graphics get, it will still just be visual representations for something that is not real.

I mean, when I was young I grew up with games like this:
full-4804-5610-hellcats.png

And I still had a lot of fun.

EDIT 2: Damn, cockpit view...
 
Last edited:
i love my Supra, my Civic Type R EP4, my Peugeot 206 RC..and alot more. The wish is, if they were Premium :ouch:
 
i love my Supra, my Civic Type R EP4, my Peugeot 206 RC..and alot more. The wish is, if they were Premium :ouch:
Yeah, but then again, the amount of favorite cars i have, i doubt they ever will be standard ones. And the reason for this is marketing and stuff, manufactures want certain cars to be exposed more than others i think. Explain the strange premium list some one?
 
@ No_OBsT33R Those still look very bad. Your photography is nice but you can't cover up the dated rendering of the cars.

Having 750-800 cars that are PSP or PS2 graphics is really bad for a PS3 game. Of course they all shouldn't be premium since many of these are redundant cars that nobody cares for (hundreds of Skylines, RX7s, Civics, S2000s, NSXs, Miatas and so on) but GT5 needs a lot more premium cars.

Happy to be corrected but I don't think the cars from GT4 and GTPSP were simply ported wholesale, I think they were re-rendered to some extent, upscaled and perhaps have a higher polygon count. But they didn't have extra details added, were just given a polish.
 
I love std, most incredible cars in this game are std :D
 
I just wish that Gran Turismo had the premiums that were featured in Forza Motorsport 3. The car selection in F.M was very good, and even with about 500 "premium" cars, GT5 would get a lot better.
Dont get me wrong. Its fun to collect standered cars and sometimes race them, Sometimes though I wish cooler, more famous cars were premium. Like the Toyota Minolta or that Nissan Silvia Drift car.
 
I appreciate standard cars (even MORE than premiums) 'cause if it wasn't for Them, there'd be NO GT5 in the 1st place!
 
standards oh yea i want more than they included
 
Now that I've started getting deep into standards I wish they could be customized with new rims and paint! Some would look really nice "detailed!":)

I also think PD made some bad choices on which cars they made standard and premium. Some of the standards definitely should have been premium like the Vauxall Super Touring!
 
Now that I've started getting deep into standards I wish they could be customized with new rims and paint! Some would look really nice "detailed!":)

I also think PD made some bad choices on which cars they made standard and premium. Some of the standards definitely should have been premium like the Vauxall Super Touring!
PD did a horrible job with the premium list...
 
i pretty much only use standard cars just because they dont look as nice doesnt mean dont use then
 
Back