Who appreciates Standard Cars?

  • Thread starter Thread starter FishHunters
  • 167 comments
  • 10,517 views
So a PS2 car with nice physics ?
Still a PS2 car.

Making a sequel whilst on the same gen console , using the previous content is okay usually.

But even FIFA used new stuff when making the new game for PS3 and didn't use PS2 stuff. EVEN FIFA lol they use the same game and re-name it every year xD But even they used new stuff when jumping consoles.

No-one does it.

Making the console jump really NEEDS new content.

`
If you do not care about the premiums, and like the standards more, it's either because your obsessed with GT4 or you like the cars in the standards list.

Actually (and I don't mean to come off like I'm flaming, cuz I'm not) it's not that I care less about Premiums personally. I like 'em all...Standard or Premium. I'd rather have more cars to explore, period. Not just 200 Premiums or even 800 Standards. I want ALL of them.

I just went back to GT4 the other day to finish up the El Cappy enduro (one of the last races in that game I never got to)and I couldn't have been more ready to come back to GT5! Competing with just 5 cars? That's a snoozefest in comparison to 7 or 9 or up to 15 competitors.

Which returns to my argument, wouldn't it be nice if that lovely standard car was premium. Hmm nice thought that isn't it. would it be nice if they didn't include the 300 duplicate cars and all other standards and made a whole lot more premiums, carefully chosen to cover a large car base. Then you might get the GT5 version of your car. Great stuff. So think twice before saying standards are good, they may of robbed you your favourite car in its full HD high polygon count glory. Get my argument now ?

Wish the Skyline GTS-T was premium, hate the standard version, looks awful.

But good drifter.

Doesn't look a million miles off the GTR as well. Shouldn't be too hard.

GT5 ftw ! GT4 and GTPSP "ported over fill in content wasting GT5 development time" NOT ftw

On the contrary, it's well known that porting over the cars of GT4 and GTPSP actually took less time than making a single new Premium car for GT5. IF anything, porting the cars from GT4/PSP probably was taken care of by a single individual, and no time was wasted to get this project done.

In comparson to the dozens who worked on Premiums, they probably couldn't have finished a single Ferrari lighting assembly in the time it took to port over the Standards.
 
I just went back to GT4 the other day to finish up the El Cappy enduro (one of the last races in that game I never got to)and I couldn't have been more ready to come back to GT5! Competing with just 5 cars? That's a snoozefest in comparison to 7 or 9 or up to 15 competitors.

Completely agree. Once you go back to GT4, there's like no cars to even race! :lol: I mean even if the AI isn't super in either games, at least there's more in GT5.
 
Ah I stand corrected :-) I always thought they took a good while. Guess I have nothing to moan about lol
 
So a PS2 car with nice physics ?
Still a PS2 car.

It's the other way around for me. Every car in GT5 is a PS3 car. A PS2 car would constitute premium car model with GT4 physics. I consider PD's fixation on graphics a flaw. Graphics won't do much for gameplay, but physics will.
Making the console jump really NEEDS new content.
Basically repeating what I just said, but the physics were changed, so it's all new content to me. The car list GT5 has now is pretty much equivalent to an all premium list (ie 1000 premium cars). I can't even tell the difference when I'm driving, and I use chase camera.

If you do not care about the premiums, and like the standards more, it's either because your obsessed with GT4 or you like the cars in the standards list. Which returns to my argument, wouldn't it be nice if that lovely standard car was premium. Hmm nice thought that isn't it.
I must disagree. GT4 is my least favorite, and well whatever cars happen to be standard cars doesn't matter because they could just as easily be premium.

In an ideal world, every car would be premium. However, in the real world, premium cars take 10 times (?) as long to make as standards. They detract from the game.

If I had to choose between 1500 standard cars and 800 premiums, I would hands down choose the standards. They're easier to model, they look just as good outside of photomode, and they have full physics.

You mentioned earlier toning down premiums and upgrading standards. I think it's a good compromise, however, I draw the line when modeling time makes the car list shorter. Granted GT5's 1000 cars aren't as good as Forza's ~600, but that doesn't mean GT5 could have had an amazing 1000 car list.
 
In doubt if you like standards or not?

Just drive a BMW M3 CSL... stock. Completelly utter awesome. Period. :P
 
Yeah I wouldn't mind the better standard and worse premium compromise.

Was in a Lancia Delta S4 rally car with my wheel and strong force feedback. Was great sliding around the track. ;)
 
Completely agree. Once you go back to GT4, there's like no cars to even race! :lol: I mean even if the AI isn't super in either games, at least there's more in GT5.

YOu know, as I was watching that race on Speed channel yesterday it dawned on me. There are sometimes jackrabbit cars during such a real-life race, but what evens up the field is cautions. During a caution, everybody is suddenly forced back together in a group.

If Gran Turismo had cautions, therefore (especially older games like GT4) it would make things a lot more exciting. Those first 20 - 25 laps of the El Cappy race are a lot of fun. Basically, that's the first two pit stops. At least 4 cars are trading positions/paint occasionally. After that, it just gets dull. One car leaps way ahead of the others, and it's jsut me and that one car. No surprises. No late-race duels other than me and him.

Damn, I went off-topic. Trying to make a point though. :indiff:


Parnelli, it's a pleasure to know you're are still around.?
I still remember your great stories from GT2 lol
Parnelli's GT2 stories.

Jacques

Thanks. I keep getting people asking about that silly story, guess it's time for an update. ;)
 
I love many of the standards but for the lack of the cockpit view whkich is a big immersion killer after growing accustomed to premiums. I still use them but I wish PD could have met us half way.

I wish that they had the foresight to add a generic cockpit view (or two..one for classic cars and a more modern one) for all standard models. Maybe with a placeholder area for the cars maker logo on the wheel to help retain some of the cars individual identity. It wouldn't take a huge ammount of extra work but would hugely enhance the driving experience for cockpit users.
 
I wish that they had the foresight to add a generic cockpit view (or two..one for classic cars and a more modern one) for all standard models. Maybe with a placeholder area for the cars maker logo on the wheel to help retain some of the cars individual identity. It wouldn't take a huge ammount of extra work but would hugely enhance the driving experience for cockpit users.

That is a great idea! Hope they're listening!

I remember a recent video about the AMG SLS saying it took one guy six months to render it. If that's the case for every premium I can understand why there aren't so many, but that begs why is Forza spewing out 500 in only two years?
 
I tend to drive standards more because most of the cars I like in game are standards. While some look bad up close, they look good in replay :D
 
I have no other choice than to appreciate standard cars: since GT1* and GT2 I became a fan of Japanese cars from the 90's ( Supra, Toyota GT-One, MR2, Nismo 270/400R , Weds Celica, Nissan R390 etc.. ) and of course now they are only available as standard cars from the used car dealers, but at least they are available.

Jacques
 
They are fine with me,plenty of cool collectable cars to be had in the UCD. It`s a shame you can`t change the rims though. I do miss the cockpit view from the premiums.
 
i usually only drive standards. like 80% of my Favorites are standard cars.
 
-> I am still hoping for some GT2 cars to return to GT5 using a recycled port from GTPSP to GT5.
 
most of my cars collection are standards 80% of my garage is standards
 
IF anything, porting the cars from GT4/PSP probably was taken care of by a single individual, and no time was wasted to get this project done.
:lol:

Probably something they did the night before the CDs were gonna be produced. I mean they didn't fix any of the glitches with the cars, they didn't fix any of the factual information in the Info tabs, they didn't fix names/dates of certain cars that are incorrect, at least a good 1/3 of them look either of PS2 quality at most - some look like GT3/PSP quality, and they didn't even remove the copyrighted material from a certain car that exposed their rendering methods of simply scanning toy cars. :crazy:

Just pointing this all out... not that I hate Standard cars, but they could've been implemented with a little more care... some TLC... some effort... some love... some passion. It's these kinds of decisions that lead me to believe at some point PD just absolutely lost all passion for the GT series and just made GT5 to make money to fund their other projects.

It's just a cashcow cow for em and GT5 showed me they could easily lose that particular prestige at the drop of some simply care-less, effort-less mistakes.
 
:lol:

Just pointing this all out... not that I hate Standard cars, but they could've been implemented with a little more care... some TLC... some effort... some love... some passion. It's these kinds of decisions that lead me to believe at some point PD just absolutely lost all passion for the GT series and just made GT5 to make money to fund their other projects.

It's just a cashcow cow for em and GT5 showed me they could easily lose that particular prestige at the drop of some simply care-less, effort-less mistakes.

That is a thread unto itself! I agree with you! I am totally amazed at how so many details were left un-done! Like the shadows! I've never seen boxy shadows in ANY racing game. How could they not fix that before release? I am boggled but the amount of little things like that. The lack of thinking the entire project through.

POST 100
 
Last edited:
im not fussed about having standerd cars as i hardly ever use the cockpit veow for 2 reasons
1.the shake
2. the lack of rotation in with the steering wheel
 
I was just taking a second or third look on some of my standard cars and yeah, somebody had put some work on some of them... to make them look a bit better. At least the textures were resized on some models... that's what I think.
 
After some time I've come to the conclusion that I like standard cars, eventually you get bored with the premium cars and go in search of some rare standard cars. I've tuned my S14 (240SX) to be a pure drifter, loving it so far!
 
I like A LOT standart cars!

And since i race always with the bumper cam im stick with these.
 
I definitely think that all the cars should be "premium" - in that PD have set the bar with that quality of rendering, however, I do certainly appreciate the standard cars as my gallery page will attest.

In fact, although I have opted for premium models for all of the a-spec events so far, I have been busy buying and testing every single standard car I can get my hands on. I have found some real gems amongst them in 'handling' terms irrespective of how they look. I think anyone discounting them purely based on their digital representation is missing out :)
 
my three favorite cars are all standards.
 
its a shame that PD made only that few premium cars!
One sentence always pops in my head when I think of standards: we love cars!

yeah, sure PD.....:odd:
 
This game fails as much as it succeeds, but because I like cars I will continue to play it....... the standards aren't all that bad, but they're (almost) not worth going into photo mode for.. not to mention replays can't be cycled through. I wish they at least had rims choice and paint options on top of that for them. 4000+ paints and you can only use 1 chip on a single car that you wont take a picture of unless you feel like photoshopping out the jaggedness the transparency texturemaps create.

Bleh... at the same time, the ability to use these awesome cars and tune them enough to be really driven how you like is incredible so.. it evens out >.> I appreciate the standards as is but I wish they were all a little more customizable at the same time, I mean really it's just a game anyways I don't see why they wouldn't do certain things that would be quite obvious and have been stated in other threads.
 
:lol:

Probably something they did the night before the CDs were gonna be produced. I mean they didn't fix any of the glitches with the cars, they didn't fix any of the factual information in the Info tabs, they didn't fix names/dates of certain cars that are incorrect, at least a good 1/3 of them look either of PS2 quality at most - some look like GT3/PSP quality, and they didn't even remove the copyrighted material from a certain car that exposed their rendering methods of simply scanning toy cars. :crazy:

Just pointing this all out... not that I hate Standard cars, but they could've been implemented with a little more care... some TLC... some effort... some love... some passion. It's these kinds of decisions that lead me to believe at some point PD just absolutely lost all passion for the GT series and just made GT5 to make money to fund their other projects.

It's just a cashcow cow for em and GT5 showed me they could easily lose that particular prestige at the drop of some simply care-less, effort-less mistakes.

I agree to an extent. Would be nice if more effort could have been put into upgrading Standards. I would disagree that PD has 'lost their passion' though. Since everything is being taken care of (slowly) by DLC nowadays, and will be for years, I find it funny that so many people still think this game is finished, and that they can criticize it as-is, because no new features are going to be implemented. It will never truely be finished, not until GT6 is close to coming out.

Overall: I still would prefer more Standard cars as they are to not having them.
 
I actually raced my Toyota Minolta for the first time lastnight. Actually it was my very first race with a standard. It was fun and the car is fast but I hate not having interior. I'm sure I will race some more with them but I feel like I am cheating myself since I always use the interior view. :)
 
I agree to an extent. Would be nice if more effort could have been put into upgrading Standards. I would disagree that PD has 'lost their passion' though. Since everything is being taken care of (slowly) by DLC nowadays, and will be for years, I find it funny that so many people still think this game is finished, and that they can criticize it as-is, because no new features are going to be implemented. It will never truely be finished, not until GT6 is close to coming out.

Overall: I still would prefer more Standard cars as they are to not having them.

I would have to disagree. I feel if they don't come out with some seriously new content AND fix some of the current issues people will become disenchanted with it sooner rather than later. I do believe they are trying to "milk" it for every last sale; but I think people are already moving on to other games. A seasonal event here, a couple new tracks there, don't think that's going to hold us that long; especially with problems like AI not being very competitive. I ready for GT6 and even contemplating an XBOX for Forza 4.
 
Some of my favourite cars are standard, so of course I appreciate them.
 
Back