Who appreciates Standard Cars?

  • Thread starter Thread starter FishHunters
  • 167 comments
  • 10,517 views
Thinking about it more and playing around more with standard cars, I wish there was more detail on the exterior so i can take better and closer pics of the car. As i mentioned in my previous post, the lack of cockpit view doesn't bother me as I don't like the visibility and prefer the rooftop/hood cam.

So hopefully PD will either convert a bunch more to premium or just put more detail on the exteriors so we can get close up pictures.
 
I don't appreciate the laziness of porting PS2 cars just to be able to claim a 1000+ car count. To add more fuel, you can't even do certain things with those cars that you were able to do in the previous title.
 
I´m not so sure about the standard cars. I used them since the beginning but now i like to drive in cockpit view. Not so sure about its performance too, some old cars feel damn fast like the Countachs and the XJ220, these cars doesnt feel 20 years old at all
 
Most of my favorite cars are "standard", but I love the premiums as well. The problem is there are more cool standards than premiums IMHO.
 
I simply don't care.

A car is a car, some look better than others, others driver better.

End of.
 
I most definitely appreciate standard cars. What I really look for in a car in GT5 is performance, and most standard cars do not lack in this aspect. Take the RUF cars for example, light tuning easily gives over 450hp and given that the cars are generally light, they're really agile. :)

That's just me anyway.
 
The Standard Car Club ? :)

I refer to them as the (sub) standard cars :lol:
 
If PD were to drop all of the standard cars in an update, everyone would be crying. Appreciate what they gave us.
 
kjeezy23
if pd were to drop all of the standard cars in an update, everyone would be crying. Appreciate what they gave us.

+1
 
I love the standards! I'm pretty close to having all of them.
 
I sure would appreciate them more if they were premium but seeing as how their not I can still appreciate the cars that were in GT4.
I spent a lot of time playing GT4 so I'm glad most of the cars from that game is in GT5.
 
I love my standard cars, and like others I don't use cockpit view since it seems it only gets in my way. Premiums look amazing but I love the rarity of specific cars. 96 grand sport, saleen s7, 94 zr-1, zzII, nismo cars spoon mugen and all those special cars that true collectors have, but I do love my scuderia :D
 
i personally just use the front bumper cam and drive just as well as i would with premiums, so i dont see a major need for cockpit view other than the gauges and a little added realism. plus- super rally lancer evo and fgt for the win ^_^
 
-> ...
If PD were to drop all of the standard cars in an update, everyone would be crying. Appreciate what they gave us.
^ And I will flood the EMO Thread like The Sheen doing the Tiger Blood Spat!

-> More (cars) not Less!!! :grumpy:
 
Only thing I wish is that the standards had cockpit views. Don't mind that they aren't HD. Got a BMW V12 LM for the first time. Enjoyed driving it immensely just wish I could see from the cockpit!
 
I'm a fan of the standard cars for these reasons:

1. They give variety and over 1000 cars in total
2. If you use 'bumper' cam there's no difference
3. Some of them are still quite well modeled
4. They provide continuity with GT4 back, cars that I enjoyed in those games which I can still drive in GT5.

Some of them need updating desperately though, and the lack of thought that seems to have gone into putting them into the game is saddening. Even if we had forgone the cockpits and interior views, and just got upgraded bodies etc. (not even to premium level), I'd be a very happy chappy.

Also, I find it a bit annoying that we can't use these cars in photo travel, yet PD teases us by showing us standard cars in photo travel settings on the home menu!! GRRR!

Some of my favourite cars in the game are standards, like the Bellett GTR, the Delta S4 and many others.
 
I always drive with roof cam for the most part, so it doesn't bother me. In photo mode they look quite good anyway so.. I definitely appreciate them, yes.
 
-> I hope PD could bring some of the cars from GT2 as standard first. :indiff:
 
I always drive with roof cam for the most part, so it doesn't bother me. In photo mode they look quite good anyway so.. I definitely appreciate them, yes.

In photo mode yes they can look pretty good, but you have to be careful with some that you don't show up some of their flaws!

The lighting engine in the game does help these cars a lot. Some of them though don't quite catch the light as well as their similarly painted premium cousins :indiff:
 
My bf was all about the premium cars when we got the game. Now he's not so fixated on that.
I never cared. ALL the cars look better than gt4 so what the heck. Maybe my eyesight is not as good as others, and maybe my tv isn't as good.

Most of the cars I like are not premium.

I'm glad there ARE so many cars! I like trying lots of cars out.

They're ALL standard cars to me.
I don't use the cockpit view because it shakes...and the shaking gives me a headache.

Couldn't care much less if a car were either. I run bumper cam, as I've always done, even on premiums - my screen is pretty small, and the cockpit cams of some cars make it quite difficult to see. Driving the Gallardo with cockpit cam is a bit like driving with a medieval knight's helmet, or in a letterbox.

I get a headache too!
I thought of the knight's helmet thing when I tried cockpit view in a couple cars!

But we don't have a ginormous tv right now. If we had my bf's gargantuan tv (which doesn't fit where we are now), I'm sure it would make more sense on that.. games just looked more "open" on it.
But even then I'm not sure I'd like that. I don't know how my bf plays sturmovik with the airplane view... that makes me sick. I don't even like seeing the hood of the car in gt5, especially on an unmodified antique muscle car. :crazy::sick:

Then we would have a smaller but very relevant car list.

This I disagree with. Mostly because a LOT of the cars people call "irrelevant", are the ones I love the most & have tons of fun with! :D
The Honda Z Act comes to mind. :D

Though I only own ONE skyline - the pace car I got from a gift ticket... and it's the only skyline I wanted!! I don't need 30 different skylines.... BUT, maybe some people love them?! So I won't judge! 👍
 
standards are just as good as premium to me.
even tho i really like the cockpit view i never use it cause it gets too annoying when you finally get used to driving like that u gotta switch back to a normal car with no cockpit view
 
I have no problem with the standard cars. As long as it's a car I want to drive, I don't really care about it's polygon count.

This sums it up pretty much for me! I don't understand why some people on this forum tend to hate on the standard cars?
 
I agree with most people here the standards are awesome. I probably drive standard cars about 80-85% of the time.
 
I much prefer the standards and I don't even think they look too bad, especially the M3 with the LED's in the rear lights.
 
I love all the cars. Some of the standards do look awful though. I can live without the cockpit, but some of the pixels look choppy. I wish every car could look premium from the outside.
 
I do! TBH, i spent more time driving the standard cars than the premium cars. I do like the premiums though but the list for the premiums cars aren't that great and most of the cars i like are the standards. The cockpit view is okay but i prefer bumper cam view since it's easier to see where you're going.





Some of the standards do look awful though.



Especially this one:
CapeRing.jpg
 
Personally although their flaws show up in photomode (see some of the standards galleries in the photomode forum and EDIT see above!) and perhaps occasionally in replays, I think the standards look just fine when racing, which is what matters most to me.

Plus thankfully it doesn't seem that PD have skimped in other ways such as handling, SFX.

Can understand it being an issue if you like cockpit cam best, and would have been interesting if Kaz had kept in the planned generic cockpits, but I use chase cam anyway so I love the standards as much as the premiums generally.
 
Read an article last night on an interview with Kaz. He was saying two things of note. First that the current premium cars are ahead of what they should have made for the PS3, he's thinking they are next generation console cars. He also says the standards were easier to bring over from GT4 without a whole lot of programming. Think it was a couple days to a weeks worth of programming for the Standards. I do know the SLS-55 AMG took 6 months to create from scratch. We're talking 1 programmer 2 cars a year. If they have 10 people working on cars then it's 20 new cars a year 60 in 3 years? But he also said it wouldn't take as long in the future.

We'll see what GT6, which he's already been talking about will bring. Just give me the cars preferably with a cockpit view. I don't really care about the interior. Although you know they're going to have to work on that since the other guys are doing it.
 
Some of them look just fine, even in photo mode at the Track.

39251f89.jpg


Then you use some filters and they look even better.

0f515fe5.jpg


974cd825.jpg


82c59e55.jpg


1cb035cc.jpg


cd989bb3.jpg


I don't see why all the hate.
 
Back