Who Owns Cummins? It's a Shocker.

There are many more powerful Diesel engines out there cummins is just the only one every regular joe knows about because it is available in a passenger grocery getter...sorry if I sound a little cocky but there are engines like Paccar, Detroits, CAT, yes and more powerful cummins you will never see in your plastic little dodge toys that's not even to mention what's really out there Scania and Volvo make extremely power engines Turbo Diesel V8s with over 700 Horse!!! MAN makes one of the worlds most powerful engines as well I know there is even more manufactures out there that make the Fiat pickup truck sound like a underpowered pickup don't get me wrong I don't hate the cummins engine I can't stand the people who think dodge is the greatest thing ever because of it

And how many of those engines are installed in affordable trucks?

That's like saying a 350 is a bad engine because you could have a twin turbo V10 instead.

Scania and Volvo make extremely power engines Turbo Diesel V8s with over 700 Horse!!! MAN

They do, but those engine are 15-17 liter* V8's. Not something you would stick in a pickup.

*915-1040Ci in the silly system.

sorry if I sound a little cocky but there are engines like Paccar, Detroits, CAT, yes and more powerful cummins you will never see in your plastic little dodge toys that's not even to mention what's really out there Scania and Volvo make extremely power engines Turbo Diesel V8s with over 700 Horse!!! MAN makes one of the worlds most powerful engines as well

Only 700 horses? How cute.

Probably a bit controversial, but could someone explain all the hype about cummins and Doge and Ford trucks?
Because they all seem a bit pointless because land rover is the best off road machine.

That's like saying a 350 is a bad engine because you could have a twin turbo V10 instead.

1975_chevrolet_corvette_coupe-pic-9364.jpeg

Boo!

hennessey-dodge-viper-venom-650r-photo-246719-s-1280x782.jpg

Yay!*

*not actually turbocharged

Probably a bit controversial, but could someone explain all the hype about cummins and Doge and Ford trucks?
Because they all seem a bit pointless because land rover is the best off road machine.

This isn't about off road machines, and I wouldn't call Land Rover the best either. Did you read the entire 1 and 3/4ths pages?

1975_chevrolet_corvette_coupe-pic-9364.jpeg

Boo!

hennessey-dodge-viper-venom-650r-photo-246719-s-1280x782.jpg

Yay!*

*not actually turbocharged
You sure picked a nice Viper picture isn't that the Venom? If so then you demonstrated his point correctly I thought it was a TT

EDIT: Never mind I can see the back it's the 650R not 800TT

Last edited:
I just can't understand the whole Chevy is better than Ford debate. I thought I might gain an insight and learn.

Yes, by reading the entire thread, I mean it's not even that tedious considering how minuscule it is.

Would much rather have the Corvette!!

:sly:

Even I would push you in mud for that Slash...you know you'd want the 650R one of the best cars at the time*

*note: said by Motor Trend and others not me...

I just can't understand the whole Chevy is better than Ford debate. I thought I might gain an insight and learn.

I find it even funnier when they start comparing old trucks not realizing Ford, Chevy and Dodge all used the same transmissions, transfer cases and axles :lol:

Heres what I know a about pick ups
Ford make F serires
Chevy make the Duramax (I think it might be the name of a condom)
Dodge make the Ram
And they all look the same.

Heres what I know a about pick ups
Ford make F serires
Chevy make the Duramax (I think it might be the name of a condom)
Dodge make the Ram
And they all look the same.
Are you trolling or are you being serious? Because I'm not going to bother typing out several paragraphs to bring you up to speed if you're just trolling. Also, this thread has absolutely nothing to do with off roading, so I'm not sure why you even brought up Land Rover. Plus Jeremy Clarkson isn't really the best person to be referencing when talking about trucks. That's like asking a politician what it's like to work at a pub - they've been in one many times, but that's literally it.

XS
Are you trolling or are you being serious? Because I'm not going to bother typing out several paragraphs to bring you up to speed if you're just trolling. Also, this thread has absolutely nothing to do with off roading, so I'm not sure why you even brought up Land Rover. Plus Jeremy Clarkson isn't really the best person to be referencing when talking about trucks. That's like asking a politician what it's like to work at a pub - they've been in one many times, but that's literally it.

That's exactly why I didn't do it because early on and more so now he seems to be trolling, if he really cares that much he'll read the the 2 pages and then try to respond in a proper manner. I doubt though that he's here for that so it's whatever to me.

This is a posh land rover!

It's all about traction. Do that off-road against a fully-laden pick-up, and the results will be quite different.

On asphalt, the car with the more road-biased tires and balanced weight distribution wins.

Jeremy Clarkson even thinks American trucks are dumb. Case closed.

Jeremy Clarkson bought a Hummer. And not the military grade, portal-axle equipped go-anywhere Hummer... he bought the GM-in-a-frock-poseur-special Hummer H2. An SUV built on GM's Silverado pick-up platform.

Jeremy Clarkson is an extremely talented writer and host, and a pretty good automotive writer, but an authority on trucks, or even a consistent judge of cars, he is not.

Cummins are pretty much the biggest employer in my town. Having employed some ex-cummins staff in the past, I pretty much wouldn't touch their stuff with a barge-pole - that's just my experience though.

XS

Fact is, trucks like you have in the states just aren't used over here, afaik, the models Sniper posted aren't even sold here - I don't even know about Europe. Our domestic equivalent workhorse is the Defender. Sure we get the light-weight trucks from Mitsubishi, Toyota, VW et al. but most (well, certainly most of the ones that I see) aren't used in a utilitarian way at all. I grew up in a farming village, if you wanted to get the job done, you bought a Defender.

Looks like the results are different Please bring me up to speed about American pickup trucks.

It's the exact same thing.

That Defender is locked in 4LO, which is four-wheel drive, locked hubs, equal traction going to all four wheels.

The Dodge is in 2HI. Rear wheel drive only. With a completely unladen bed.

A truck pull is not a battle of power. It's a battle of traction.

Pick-up trucks are not designed to play tug of war or conquer the Amazon rainforest. They're designed to haul heavy loads. A Defender is a wonderful off-roader. Incredible traction. Light enough to go across obstacles that would sink bigger trucks. Rugged enough to cross roof level water (with a snorkel).

It's not built to haul three tons of cargo in the back seat and pull a small yacht at the same time.

Not that pick-ups actually get used as such. :lol:

-

The videos prove nothing and show nothing that most people familiar with trucks don't already know.

Thats why everyone likes the old trucks for offroading. Cheap, cheap parts, easy to fix, big power and lots of ground clearance. Plus they have 4WD systems you'll never seen again.

There are many more powerful Diesel engines out there cummins is just the only one every regular joe knows about because it is available in a passenger grocery getter...sorry if I sound a little cocky but there are engines like Paccar, Detroits, CAT, yes and more powerful cummins you will never see in your plastic little dodge toys that's not even to mention what's really out there Scania and Volvo make extremely power engines Turbo Diesel V8s with over 700 Horse!!! MAN makes one of the worlds most powerful engines as well I know there is even more manufactures out there that make the Fiat pickup truck sound like a underpowered pickup don't get me wrong I don't hate the cummins engine I can't stand the people who think dodge is the greatest thing ever because of it

And what exactly does this have to do with people ignorantly spewing that Ford owns Cummins? We're talking about engines available in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, not semi trucks. I've been around diesel engines my whole life, from tractors to semis and everything in between, I'm fully aware there are engines far more powerful than the 5.9 or 6.7 Cummins found in Dodge (RAM, now) trucks, but I fail to see what that has to do with the discussion.

The new trucks certainly aren't underpowered. If they were legally allowed to tow the same weight as a semi, yeah, they'd be underpowered but for the weight they're rated for they most certainly are not lacking in the power department.

Looks like the results are different Please bring me up to speed about American pickup trucks.

I'm going to assume you're very young. Not only do you take everything Clarkson says as fact, you bring up an absolutely pointless video that generally only young "enthusiasts" think matters. There are videos all over the place of Dodges pulling Fords, Fords pulling Dodges, Dodges pulling Chevys and everything in between. A bumper pull like that is all about traction, nothing else.

I'm going to assume you're very young. Not only do you take everything Clarkson says as fact.
I'm 15 and I don't take everything Clarkson says as fact. In fact, I very rarely agree with Jezza due to the amount of sly insults he likes to dish out and the fact that over here agreeing with Clarkson is used sarcastically. However, his comments on the Ford F-150 Lighting in series 6, episode 11 are similar to my feelings on some Amercian pickups.

We're seriously using truck tug of wars? Seriously?

There's no faster way to prove that you know nothing about vehicles than to post one of those. See Niky's post. You could win one of those with a Mini Cooper if you just put tons of weight over the tires.

I've been desert off-roading in an F-150 Raptor. If you think a Land Rover can hold a candle to that thing then you are an idiot.

Edit: oh, he's 15 and listens to Clarkson. Got it. :lol:

Back