Who Rocked it Better?Music 

United States
Azle, TX
supermanfromazle
SanjiHimura
Stated Goal: We are here to answer one very simple question. Who rocked a song better?

This is a music "would you rather" style thread that deals exclusively in music covers. How it works is that a poster will post the original hit song and a cover version that has also hit the charts (for example, The Who's Pinball Wizard and Elton John's cover) and the next poster will answer the question of "who rocked it better?" and will post another song that was a hit when it first came out and when it was also a cover.

Have fun and follow the AUP.

Last edited:
I think of those two covers, the Cavaliers did the better version.

---
England Vs. Finland
Hamilton Vs. Bottas
Iron Maiden Vs. Steve 'n' Seagulls...?​

Cover wasn't bad, but she just couldn't match Lindsey's vocals. Worth noting I'm waiting for my copy of the Lindsey Buckinghame / Christine McVie duet album. ;)

Never cared for the song, though I appreciate the significance, so I'll go with Michael McDonald as I'm more a Doobie Brothers fan than that of Marvin (though, again, I appreciate his significance).

Testing the waters here, but if you're only to check out one cover, make it the first (and, I think, more noteworthy) one posted.

Original:

Cover 1 (second chronologically):

Cover 2:

Note: I did this because I'm a big fan of Mott The Hoople and that particular album was produced by someone else dear to me, David Bowie, but, as I stated, the Cowboy Junkies cover is probably better known.

Never heard this song before, or any version of it...based on my own tastes, I’d have to say Velvet Underground, with Mott the Hoople coming in at a very close second. Never really called myself a fan of the direction that Cowboy Junkies went with it.

Original:

Cover 1 (Reached #3 in the UK):

Cover 2:

Last edited:
Gah - listened to them in reverse order... Last one started well but kind of stalled. The Middle one was much more playful - multiple singers gave it the real edge in the song.
The Original - Banned in my country - SO the real sound of silence! I guess I have to pick the Johan Sebastian Bachelors.

Yep I'll stick with that - the original didn't hit home as I expected. I thought the Bachelors was going to be a woefully cheesy dud. - Cheers for fixing that interweb linkage Nick Skyline - Edit

---
Box A "Original = Gloria Gaynor"

or Box B "Filthy Cash Grab copy = CAKE"

Last edited:
This is one of those songs that can take a radical different direction if a different artist in a different genre was covering it. Cake, by miles.

The Original by Nine Inch Nails:

The Cover by Johnny Cash:

Tough - the vocals are 'better' in the second but the music is much 'crisper' in the first.

XTC's version is my winner.

------------------

1977 Original by New York's KISS

1991 Cover by Florida's DEATH

Not a fan of rockabilly but I absolutely loathe Judas Priest, so I'll go with the cover.

Original:

One of many covers, this one just happens to be high on my list:

The Original by the Bee Gees:

The Cover by Becky Hanson:

I might've chosen the Faith No More cover (from 1995), if only for the simple fact that it's not linked to summer-blockbuster-comic-book-adaptation banality, but maybe that's just me.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Donovan runs away with that one IMO, Donovan's what Bob Dylan would of been like, if he actually could sing good. :lol:

This is an easy one for me, as I'm a huge Early Misfits with Danzig fan, but let's see what others think.

Original Misfits(language warning on these songs)

Or Metallicas combo cover from garage days.

Maiden, Maiden, Maiden. That's not even close. That's one of the greatest songs ever.

I love a lot of different music, but these are two of my favorite bands of all time. This is one of the rare cases where I may pick the cover over the original, even as much as I love Zeppelin.

Original Zeppelin

Cover TOOL

Last edited:
Maiden, Maiden, Maiden. That's not even close. That's one of the greatest songs ever.

I love a lot of different music, but these are two of my favorite bands of all time. This is one of the rare cases where I may pick the cover over the original, even as much as I love Zeppelin.

Original Zeppelin

Cover TOOL

Even though I love Tool, for me it's Zeppelin in this one...

I actually thought this song was WAY older than this, but was proven wrong in my research...

or...

Cheers

Original is solid, of its time, the cover has great bits but the vocals are tepid and don't mesh with some excellent guitarwork, so as a Cromulon I have to give it to the Original. A Win for Judas Priest!

Original Mike Oldfield (Roger Chapman singing) 1983

Swedish Band, with a Canadadadian Lady singer Cover 2014

Both are equally bad (one from the early days of Metal, and the other IS Metal). Have to give it to Ozzy out of sheer principle.

This one will spark some debate:

The Original by the Jimi Hendrix Experience (1968):

The Cover by Stevie Ray Vaughn & Double Trouble (1984):

This is a thread that is quickly becoming one that NEEDS a poll option with every post... would be nice to see a tally of votes over time to judge either original or cover as to which is the most popular by the masses instead of just one's opinion... doubt that option exists though.

Cheers

Stevie Ray Vaughn is great, but he's not Hendrix. Jimmy all the way.

This is one of my favorite songs, and a lot of people have covered it.

James Carr original.

Flying Burrito Brothers (Gram Parsons kicks ass) cover.

I was pretty sure of how I'd vote prior to listening, and nothing changed...Flying Burrito Brothers!

Original:

Cover:

To be fair, the original is actually rather obscure and certainly not a chart-topper, but I think that's okay and not at all like some YouTube no-name ruining a song in an attempt to get famous. I'd also like to note that, while relatively obscure, the album that the original was released on is [I think] absolutely phenomenal (and actually has a cover they did on it). None of this information should affect one's vote, of course.

The first one is more pure musical and less gimmicky, so it wins quite easily.

-----

Alanis Morissette - all the way back from 1995

Lounge Against The Machines' much more modern take from 2005

Which is the best of the worst? Well... You Oughta Know...

Back