Who Rocked it Better?Music 

Sorry Alanis. I've got to go with the Lounge version.

---

This cover unanimously beat the original on the last cover versions battle thread I was on, but YMMV.

Could barely make it 30 seconds into the cover. Jack White all the way.

The Original by The Blue Oyster Cult (1976)

The Cover by Gus Black (1996):

"You might be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper!"

Original easily ... Cover with no cowbell?

----

Metallica original 1983
"In the Blue corner from Los Angeles California... "

Cannibal Corpse cover
"In the Red corner from Buffalo, New York..."

"No Remorse"

I prefer metallicas version better, but as with the case on most of these, I almost always prefer the original. This ones an exception.

Original Peach

Cover Tool

Never heard these ever.
Peach - Solid Doomy Chunkster

Tool - Bloated more angsty.

I think Peach edges it.

------------------

Triple threat! Who's version is better?
The next post will decide!
Classic old song with zillions of covers. I'll keep the choices to the Original and a couple of unknowns...

Little Richard (1956)

Elvis Presley (1956)

The Beatles (1964)

I like Elvis' version the best I think, but the Beatles one isn't far behind.

If someone picks Metallica on this one, you are all hopeless. :lol:

This is an old Irish Drinking song, with lots of different versions. Metallica covered Thin Lizzys take on the song. So there probably is older folk versions, but I'm picking TL as the original.

Original Thin Lizzy:

Cover Metallica

Well I guess I'm hopeless then... I'm lucky enough to be old enough to have seen both bands play the song live, and to be honest, I appreciated the harder edge Metallica gave it. But that's me... I'm more of a rocker/metal guy than not.

Speaking of giving an edge to a song, how about these 2 versions... love the bass line/guitar solo that was OH so fun to play!

versus

Cheers

I like The Rolling Stones version better.

Big Joe Williams

Or AC/DC(the real AC/DC with Bon Scott, not the AC/DC with the silly fellow in the Newsboy Cap)

I need brain bleach after hearing the cover. Big Joe Williams.

The 1971 Original by Sir Elton John

The 2002 Cover by Ben Folds

Elton. Always Elton. Cover also takes a hit because it's live.

Original:

Cover:

The only version that is on an album. That is the only defense to it.
I understand that, and nothing against Ben Folds and/or Five, in fact I've enjoyed them for years, but "live cover" may as well be a four letter word as far as I'm concerned. If a band is to do a cover, they're far more likely to do it live rather than be willing to record it in studio for either their own release or a compilation. I have absolutely nothing against the latter so long as they don't ruin a song I love.

Elton. Always Elton. Cover also takes a hit because it's live.

Original:

Cover:

I think I'll choose the Michael Stipe version.

Eddie Cochran

Or The Who

The live version isn't always the inferior version, especially if it's coming from one of the greatest live bands of all time. 👍

:lol:

I stand by my statement though, and I'm sure there are some examples where I wouldn't, but that version (I love Live At Leeds, mind you--it's one of the best live albums of all time) always had pacing issues for me. Original.

Original:

Cover:

I think that the, The Connells cover is more - complete - the original is awkwardly disjointed / twitchy / nervy - which maybe the band were trying for, considering the title.

--------------

South Africa's "John Kongos" (1971)

England's very own... "Happy Mondays" (1990)

I Definitely like the John Kongos version better, never heard that song and it's pretty cool. :)

Original Chuck Berry

Cover Waylon Jennings

I like both these musicians. There's a lot of people who may not like Country Music, but I love Waylon and think he has one of the great voices of all time.

Waylon, Waylon, Waylon!

Hopefully the volume difference won't impact one's choice below.

Original:

Cover:

(Note: The guy singing and playing guitar in the original here is the guy with the shaggy hair singing and playing guitar in the original from my last post. ;))

I've heard the song but never knew what the title was or who sang it until your post. The original is far better, the cover sounds like a generic pop song.

Original:
Leonard Cohen - Hellelujah

Cover by Jeff Buckley

First guy sounded like his voice could melt granite... the second guy, eh, not so much. So a point to the gravelly old chap.

----
Quick triple -
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps"

George Harrison

Peter Frampton

Regina Spektor (Singing)

Win for Japan here. I guess in my head glam rock is better than big musical production.

----
"Push it to the Limit"

Giogio Moroder (Sung by Paul Engemann) (1983)

Finland's very own Noora Louhimo & Battle Beast (2015)

A win for Finland.

Original by Van Morrison's THEM (1964):

First cover by Shadows of Knight (1965):

Second cover by actor Bill Murray (2007) [LIVE]:

Original by Van Morrison's THEM (1964)
That would be the winner in my opinion. More bite to that version
compared to The Shadows version. I might be a little biased though as
Van Morrison's Moondance album is one of my all-time favorites.

Tony Bennett (recorded 1962).

Cover: Ronnie Dio And The Prophets (recorded 1963).

Yes. That Dio.
\m/
Ronnie-James-Dio.jpg

The song was just plain bad. As for the artists, I would have to give it to Tony Bennett here.

The Original by The Beatles (recorded 1965):

The Cover by Johnny Cash (recorded 2002):

Nice - I've just heard a Drummer praising Ringo and used the above song as an example that smart underplaying is much better for the song than showing off.
Which made me choose the Beatles version - because I preferred the drumming in the original -

Win for the Fab Four!
----
Metallica (March 1983)

Motorhead (2003ish)

Motorhead is a lot more impactful. Cover.

The Original by David Bowie (Recorded 1970):

The Cover by Midge Ure (Recorded 1982):

Why has this thread been idle so long?

Personally I don't care for the song, but as I can't stand the Sublime version, original it is.

I have some in reserve, but I just had an idea:

Original

New

Back