Who Rocked it Better?Music 

Can't stand both versions (the Original hasn't aged well). New version by default.

The Original recorded in 1969:

Cover 1 recorded in 1978:

Cover 2 recorded in 2012:

Cover 3 recorded in 2017:

Beatles every time. The covers are just trying to out 'loud' each other.

Why don't I actually follow the rule this time. I switch between these two depending on the day:

Original

Cover

The original is a classic I hear on the radio almost every day.

The cover is a too-edgy metal version with a music video about Captain Communism... OK then?

GENESIS easily.

Here's a song from my homeland of Ontario:
(original)

So deliciously 80's...

Here's the cover from a British guy who likes EDM and obscure 80's music. (Not sung by him.) (I wonder if his full stage name is "Robert Smith of The Cure", that would be cool.) (Hey, presenting Robert Smith of The Cure, hey babe my name's Robert Smith of The Cure)
(cover)

Has more energy but the stupid submarine-sonar-like riff gets me everytime at "we are not in love". It looses all the 80's-ness.

Forget my mini-rambling it's whoever listen's to it's opinion anyways.

Last edited:
I don't particularly like either one, but Platinum Blonde is cleaner and gets my vote. Must be the dumb sonar. :indiff:

Here's an American band and a not-American band singing an American Band.

This was actually a tough call. My thing on covers is that it has to capture the spirit of the original artists, which Dead Daisies have done quite nicely.

COVER!

The Original by Johnny Cash recorded in 1968:

The Cover by Home Free recorded in 2014:

Cash original. The cover isn't bad, but I can't get into it.

Keepin' it country, goin' into the classics.

Original:

Cover:

As much as I enjoy participating in trying to avoid the song every year I don't think the original is a bad song. Sure it got repetitive some time in the last 30+ years of non-stop Christmas time play, but that I don't really count that as a fault of the song itself.

The cover really doesn't add anything of value to the song, it actually just takes away from it. A dumbed-down version that was just made as a cash grab in a time when, for some strange reason, Crazy Frog was an acceptable thing to release.

Original

Cover

Well, that was interesting. As much as I like The Scorpions, I've gotta say the original is better. How about these two?

Tough call. Truly, truly admirable effort, but ZZ Top because I'd hate to run into Billy, Dusty and/or Frank in the afterlife having not chosen them. :P

Also @Draggon, watch those links, the second video started at 1:16 rather than the beginning.

Original by Tori Amos:

Cover by Twin Shadow:

Okay, so I love David Essex and I loathe Def Leppard, but I think I can set that aside because I've had a long time to examine the cover (pretty close to a decade, I'd say), and it just makes me wish they'd hung their hats a long time ago and never gotten the opportunity to molest that poor song into overproduced pop (now that's saying something when comparing it to David Essex). Original.

Also worth noting that sound was only coming out of the right speaker for that video post, but had nothing to do with forming my opinion.

Original by Neil Diamond:

Cover by Tony Carey:

Original. The cover would have stood a better chance had it been the Cash version.

We have a triple threat for you.

Original by Dean Martin recorded in 1954:

Cover by Michael Bublé recorded in 2003:

Cover by Celtic Thunder recorded in 2015:

I'm probably going Buble of the choices there. But, there is a better version of that song:

We did this one a while back but... not with Nirvana, which is crazy.

Nirvana wins this one, though it would have sounded better had it been all electric.

Here is another flashback, though we didn't do it with this artist:

The Original by Leonard Cohen recorded in 1975:

The Cover by Celtic Thunder recorded in 2015:

Cohen.

Another Hendrix-Vaughan comparison, but I think this one is closer than Voodoo Child.

The best version of the original song I could find on short notice on YouTube:

The best audio cover I could find because the Fender video I used to have marked seems to have gone:

I'm a big fan of SRV, but I've gotta give it to Jimi.

Original - Lovin' Spoonful

Cover - Tedeschi Trucks Band

I enjoy the music of Susan Tedeschi, really, but the original easily takes it.

Original by David Essex:

Cover by Martin L. Gore:

I prefer the David Essex version.

Kanye West - Stronger

30 Seconds to Mars - Stronger (Radio 1's Live Lounge)

Ugh. Longest 11 minutes I've experienced in quite some time. Kanye nearly took it because it was over faster, but he's still Kanye. Cover.

I told myself I wasn't going to do this last time but it's been bugging me that much.

Original by Leonard Cohen:

Cover by John Cale:

Cover by Jeff Buckley:

I prefer the John Cale version. It fits the song better to me.

I always though this was the case, but never thought about it until I heard both within an hour.

Original: Sam & Dave

Cover: ZZ Top

Nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss nnn tss.

I'm not a fan of Savage Garden, and indeed didn't care for the example above, but I still can't help but wonder what that poor song did to deserve that. Original...by leaps and bounds too expansive to properly convey.

Original by Velvet Underground:

Cover by Dave Navarro:

I've gotta go with the original on this one. The cover seems to be a bit too busy for me, and even though the original is at a slower tempo, I feel like it carries some fear or uncertainty with it.

Original by Bad Company:

Cover by Five Finger Death Punch:

I had the nagging suspicion, based on the name of the artist, it would be no contest. Though I was pleasantly surprised initially, it eventually turned into that new "metal" that I absolutely loathe--not that I care for old "metal" much either. Original. Easily.

Original by Johnny Mathis:

Cover by Art Garfunkel:

Charles Bradley--shame the screamin' eagle of soul didn't get to enjoy the success he found so late in life just a little longer. :(

Original by Status Quo (1967):

Cover by Camper Van Beethoven (1989):

Last edited:
Lothe the song, but I have to give it to the original.

Another Triple Threat...

The Original by The Top Notes (1961)

Cover by the Isley Brothers (1962)

Cover by The Beatles (1964):

Back