Who Still Plays Need For Speed Underground 2?

• Thread starter Zibster
  • 92 comments
Yes i also have a PS3 controller, i will try it with that, but did you adjust any of the controls yourself?
I think so I don't recall having to and I was using a dscp3 tool or something to make it work with the games but I don't think that it was needed

I think so I don't recall having to and I was using a dscp3 tool or something to make it work with the games but I don't think that it was needed
Thanks i tried it now with the DS3 controller and it works perfect oddly enough but at least i can play again :dopey:

I still play NFSU2 now and then, mainly because it's the only game I've played so far that nailed the throaty boxer sound of the mighty Impreza. Beautiful!

This Godzilla is a speed demon
image.jpg

Okay, their is one thing in Underground 2 that has puzzled me for over a decade now and I still have no answer to this. While I haven't spent any quality time in Underground 2 in over a decade, I do remember in Pigeon Park, it has a location that is visible on the map, but I am 99% sure you can never access it normally. Why it's there and why you can't access it is unclear and despite it being in plain site, I don't know anyone who has explored it yet.
Bayview.jpg

Has anyone investigated this?

Edit: Actually it appears it has been explored, I guess I haven't been using the correct search terms! :dunce: This apparently explains it:
http://nfstheories.boards.net/thread/2157/nfsu2-brad-lawless-memorial-park
Still i'd be anxious to drive through those walls anyway. :lol:

Last edited:
Okay, their is one thing in Underground 2 that has puzzled me for over a decade now and I still have no answer to this. While I haven't spent any quality time in Underground 2 in over a decade, I do remember in Pigeon Park, it has a location that is visible on the map, but I am 99% sure you can never access it normally. Why it's there and why you can't access it is unclear and despite it being in plain site, I don't know anyone who has explored it yet.
View attachment 736518
Has anyone investigated this?

Edit: Actually it appears it has been explored, I guess I haven't been using the correct search terms! :dunce: This apparently explains it:
In the NFSU2 demo you can drive on it, but you have to use cheats to do so to unlock the map.

One question I have been asking myself for years now is are the graphics in Underground 2 better or worse than Most Wanted 2005? I'm genuinely curious. I have always felt Underground 2 had better graphics, but given how it's at night and MW is in the day, I have never been too certain about it.

One question I have been asking myself for years now is are the graphics in Underground 2 better or worse than Most Wanted 2005? I'm genuinely curious. I have always felt Underground 2 had better graphics, but given how it's at night and MW is in the day, I have never been too certain about it.
Mostwanted definetly has better graphics than U2, mostly because MW was made in a different engine, even the car models are still being used nowadays because of the details they had... Although I would still prefer U2 due to the tunning options :)

Let's revive this thread with this question I've been questioning myself for a while about the game's modding... Why you modders don't just use an original in-game car model to make your mods?? :confused::confused: I'm not a modder, but I think it would make the job much more simpler and comfortable for both game and modder since:

1.- You have a good base that already works in-game (modder)
2.- It will be more lore-friendly for the engine (game)
3.- It modernizes the game while keeping it original (game)
4.- You would just replace a few stuff (modder)

If it works in GTA, why it cannot work on NFS??

I have no idea what you're asking.
What I'm asking is why NFS modders don't make their mods with the in-game car models that have all the extra parts.

Something like this for example:

GTA 5's Blista with a hillclimb body (GTA 5 mod)... Pretty sure the modder made the body kit using the original car 3d model.

0a029f-0.png

Now, I've found something a bit more related...

NFS Prostreet's Acura Integra Type R 3d model with NFS underground 1's body kits (NFSU2 mod)

7c9890be-b404-4239-ab85-2549d1fff321.png
ba811386-5644-467d-8f55-0cd5665df811.png
1e00456b-2378-404c-b438-2105e29b6dc5.png

I know the Integra was cutted in the final version (although now it can eventually be restored) but considering how the NFSU1's part models fit the Prostreet's hd model, pretty sure inverting the idea (Let's say the original R34 GTR's 3d model with Prostreet's widebody kit or a rocketbunny kit from another model) could work too. Making it more lore-friendly too like the Blista :D

The game map has it in the wrong spot. The Brad Lawless memorial with the tiny looping road is off the north road of Pigeon Park. Images of it below. The second image is facing almost north, so you can use that to get a sense of the orientation.

best cars
The fastest car for circuit, sprint, street-x, and url is the Corolla, a starter car, since it has the best grip and similar power of the other cars in the game. The fastest car for drag is the 240SX, so fast that with a "wheelie" setup, it would launch so fast that it would trigger a cheat detect with EA's online servers, so players switched to the RX7 or RX8. For career mode, the Corolla is fast enough. The highest scoring car for drift is the Golf (even though front wheel drive cars would not be allowed in drift events). Unlike U1, the AI in U2 don't rubber band, and the Corolla will generally leave the AI way behind.

n8blm1.jpg

n8blm2.jpg

n8blm3.jpg

Corolla in action:

Last edited:
The game map has it in the wrong spot. The Brad Lawless memorial with the tiny looping road is off the north road of Pigeon Park. Images of it below. The second image is facing almost north, so you can use that to get a sense of the orientation.
I know, I already figured it out earlier.
Thanks for the images though.

Still i'd be anxious to drive through those walls anyway.
There are some tracks where you can get through the barriers, such as Freemont, which is how I got those photos without the Cingular logo on the screen. Then there's a way to free roam at the airport, using one of the URLs, and getting past a barrier:

Well, been going through a bunch of the older games in my library and this was one of them. After a bit of a struggle I managed to get it working with the DS4 on my toaster, with the sole problem of having absolutely no throttle control; it's either fully on or off, same as the brakes.

I'm pretty sure that's not the case ordinarily? :confused:

I'm currently doing the Career Mode for like the 100th time.
I also noticed some time ago that most of the Street X tracks look like re-used drift tracks from Underground 1. Does anybody know for certain if this is 100% true though?

I'm currently doing the Career Mode for like the 100th time.
I also noticed some time ago that most of the Street X tracks look like re-used drift tracks from Underground 1. Does anybody know for certain if this is 100% true though?

Yes I noticed that too. It's a pity because I find the layouts better to drift on than the actual drift tracks on UG2.

I also noticed that this particular URL track looks a lot like Sepang Circuit (at least the first few turns):
https://nfs.fandom.com/wiki/Bayview_Speedway_Track_5?file=NFSU2BayviewSpeedWayTrack5Course.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sepang_International_Circuit#/media/File:Sepang.svg

Last edited:
I would play it again on my Playstation 3 after being gone from the game for about a decade, but unfortunately, the game suffers from huge slowdown during all gameplay outside of the Menus.

So, on my little vacations, I've decided to give myself a 4th (I guess) run on my laptop to spend some of my quarantine time, but most of all to try out the Olympic Imports mod alongside the latest extra-options mod too, and many other mods as well to give the game some fresh air 👍... Needless to say, all the mods, especially the Olimpic Imports one, really give the game significant life (I think in some cases, even better than the stock NFS heat :sly:)

upload_2021-2-23_3-12-4.png upload_2021-2-23_3-23-17.png

Btw, I know the NFSU Dodge Neon it's not the ACR (although there's a coupe version of it), but I decided to rename it like that to give it more strength :lol: (also, since EA now owns Codemasters, there's a custom Ravenwest RX7 for your eyes :lol:), and, if you ask how I could put decals on a custom carbon hood, it's all thanks to the debug menu 👍 (Note: Only works on My Cars, not on career)

Right now, I'm on stage 4 (Coal Harbor East) using the B15 Sentra SE R Spec V, one of my all-time childhood faves, as my current car ;), also, thanks to the extra options mod, my starter car was the RSX Type S :D (on its own stock power, it can hold up to half Stage 3), and my Escalade for the SUV races, all my career cars are gonna be either Super Touring or Time Attack-Inspired, you can see that on the RSX and the Sentra :sly:. Honestly, my Escalade low-key makes me wish Cadillac would have gone crazy enough on those days to make an Escalade Race Car using their LMP as a base, V.R livery included :lol:)

upload_2021-2-23_3-29-5.png upload_2021-2-23_3-32-14.png upload_2021-2-23_3-34-23.png

Last edited:
I still play UG2 to this moment, and even added UG1's vinyls, and even changed the Sponsor Cars section, such as replacing the rapper SUVs with NFSU1 cars.

Yes, NFSU2 is one of my favorite racing games of all time!!! I just beat the game again and made a little tribute music video.

I kind of see-saw between wanting to hunt down a copy of this game for my PS2, or installing mods and playing it on my PC. Either way, it's been so long since I beat this game that either option would work and it would be like playing it for the first time all over again.

Back