Who still plays.......Shift 2 Unleashed?

• Thread starter Stephan
  • 82 comments

Stephan

Still progressing........
Premium
Philippines
Manila
Filracer
Being that this is the game that brought Slightly Mad Studios to prominence despite the issues in the physics department (it can be fixed in the PC version with a mod), it was still one of EA's attempts on making a NFS title that can compete with GT and Forza with a little taste from PC racing sim dev SMS.

So does anyone remember or still play Shift 2?

I'm currently on the Retro discipline and about to race against Darren McNamara and his rotary powered AE86 and so far, he's difficult. Oh and if you're wondering if his AE86 is a real car, it is. It was used during the 2009 season of Formula D. You can see the specs here.
0537cb38ebbd738e69d421595ef2bb86.jpg

Almost all of your rivals in each discipline uses their real life car with the exception of Mad Mike on the Works discipline because he drives a fictional Team NFS Mazda RX7 FC3S Works.

Oh and did you know that the main selling point of this game? The now defunct FIA GT1 class. This game is the only racing sim (without counting mods) that features the FIA GT1 class.
Nissan_to_become_Official_Car_Supplier_to_the_FIA_GT1_World_Nissan2.jpg

Funny that this thread would start to exist the day after i remembered that I have it.
Started out with the S4, which seems to become a solid choice for the Modern B events due to its speed, and also apparently gets to a higher grade as an A-class car than its RS4 cousin. The braking isn't exactly the best though.

Currently, I am looking for the files that would allow the 8C Spider, as well as the other four non-limited-edition hidden cars available in the dealership, mainly the 8C as the Works modification for it looks like this:
10-5.jpg

I swear I saw such an 8C being used in a cutscene
And I would prefer to not make an account on some site just to do one download, either.

I've actually recently picked up a copy, and am trying it out. Seems alright at the moment, already got Mad Mike's RX7 and it's impossible to race properly.

I played through shift 2 this summer and I liked it and liked it even more once I put some mods in the game and there's so many mods for shift 2 on nogripracing forums but they require mods to have annoying disc checks on their mods that use other models from different games

I'm tempted to reinstall and have a go at this again. Despite some of the disciplines being rather annoying I remember some seriously intense battles I haven't really had in any other racing game since. That AE86 in particular was a real beast to keep up with, even with the Speedhunters cars in my arsenal.

wtby4s2.jpg

Also, that damage modeling...

NgdgMOf.jpg

I play it every now and then on the 360. Love the game. Play it with many of the ASSISTS ON. I also use a MADCATZ FF and non FF wheel. One day I'd like to get the PS3 version to use with my Logitech wheels.

When I want something intense and less calm while wrestling with the car and ai I pop in Shift. This was something I felt that Forza and GT was lacking at the time.

Still have my old pics from 2011. Time flies.

yellproch.jpg

escrash.jpg

fhrisicon.jpg

Got the game on PS3 for free, pretty good for it's age, there are issues with car data accuracy, tuning and physics, but still enjoyable.

Being that this is the game that brought Slightly Mad Studios to prominence despite the issues in the physics department (it can be fixed in the PC version with a mod), it was still one of EA's attempts on making a NFS title that can compete with GT and Forza with a little taste from PC racing sim dev SMS.

So does anyone remember or still play Shift 2?

I'm currently on the Retro discipline and about to race against Darren McNamara and his rotary powered AE86 and so far, he's difficult. Oh and if you're wondering if his AE86 is a real car, it is. It was used during the 2009 season of Formula D. You can see the specs here.
0537cb38ebbd738e69d421595ef2bb86.jpg

Almost all of your rivals in each discipline uses their real life car with the exception of Mad Mike on the Works discipline because he drives a fictional Team NFS Mazda RX7 FC3S Works.

Oh and did you know that the main selling point of this game? The now defunct FIA GT1 class. This game is the only racing sim (without counting mods) that features the FIA GT1 class.
Nissan_to_become_Official_Car_Supplier_to_the_FIA_GT1_World_Nissan2.jpg
I still get on and play shift one and two every now and then. And enjoy undercover as well.

I just picked this up again after a massive break from it. If anyone is having issues with keeping the car on track on straights or gentle curves, swallow your pride and put steering assist on (especially if you are using a controller).

I'm on controller and there's no need for steering assist as long as the setting is properly setup for the player needs :) If anyone with controller on PS3 needs my setting, just let me know 👍 ( I don't use any assists, manual clutch )

I'm on controller and there's no need for steering assist as long as the setting is properly setup for the player needs :) If anyone with controller on PS3 needs my setting, just let me know 👍 ( I don't use any assists, manual clutch )
Enlighten me please. I tried very low dead zone and sensitivity steering settings and high speed sensitivity, but was struggling big time on very low and very high speed turning.

Enlighten me please. I tried very low dead zone and sensitivity steering settings and high speed sensitivity, but was struggling big time on very low and very high speed turning.

I got the settings notes on my pc, so here goes :

Steering deadzone 13% (my stick is old, like 10+ years old and the left stick basically rattle loose, needs some deadzone )
Steerng sensitivity 28% - used to run lower at 26%.

Throttle deadzone 0%
Throttle sensitivity 100% - R2 for gas, fast response on low input range, gradually gets slower on 70-100% input

Brake deadzone 0%
Brake sensitivity 100% - L2 for brake, fast response on low input range, gradually gets slower on 70-100% input

Clutch deadzone 0%
Clutch sensitivity 0% - square button, as the game do not register pressure sensitivity on face buttons, 0% is used to slow down input as much as possible, so I can roll off gently like real car on 1st gear.

On sensitivity ( applies to the steering, throttle, brake and clutch ) - lower sensitivity makes steering/brake/throttle/clutch slower on low input range and faster at the end of the range, 50% is linear, higher than 50% is faster steering/brake/throttle/clutch on low input and gets slower at the end of the range/max value input )

Speed sensitivity 97% ( current ) - I can run lower on some cars depending on car setup and track.

If you have low speed steering issue, there are many ways that might help, car tuning is very effective in this game, caster is the first that needs to be tweaked to your liking, higher caster = less twitchy steering. Higher than 10 usually enough. I also setup road cars with realistic steering lock, that means in the 30+ range, often around 36-39.

For high speed turning, the front/rear damper fast bump are overly effective in this game, raise the rear first to make the car less responsive at high speed turning, best track to test is Enna Pergusa. Raise front if the front wanders easily at high speed on slightest input, usually front/rear at 2 or 4 are enough on FR road cars.

I just picked this up again after a massive break from it. If anyone is having issues with keeping the car on track on straights or gentle curves, swallow your pride and put steering assist on (especially if you are using a controller).
Might have to give that a shot. As old as this game is, I still have a desire to complete it 100%. Yet without a wheel, or will power (No pun intended) I just have difficulty.

Steering deadzone 13% (my stick is old, like 10+ years old and the left stick basically rattle loose, needs some deadzone )
Steerng sensitivity 28% - used to run lower at 26%.

Throttle deadzone 0%
Throttle sensitivity 100% - R2 for gas, fast response on low input range, gradually gets slower on 70-100% input

Brake deadzone 0%
Brake sensitivity 100% - L2 for brake, fast response on low input range, gradually gets slower on 70-100% input

Clutch deadzone 0%
Clutch sensitivity 0% - square button, as the game do not register pressure sensitivity on face buttons, 0% is used to slow down input as much as possible, so I can roll off gently like real car on 1st gear.

On sensitivity ( applies to the steering, throttle, brake and clutch ) - lower sensitivity makes steering/brake/throttle/clutch slower on low input range and faster at the end of the range, 50% is linear, higher than 50% is faster steering/brake/throttle/clutch on low input and gets slower at the end of the range/max value input )

Speed sensitivity 97% ( current ) - I can run lower on some cars depending on car setup and track.

If you have low speed steering issue, there are many ways that might help, car tuning is very effective in this game, caster is the first that needs to be tweaked to your liking, higher caster = less twitchy steering. Higher than 10 usually enough. I also setup road cars with realistic steering lock, that means in the 30+ range, often around 36-39.

For high speed turning, the front/rear damper fast bump are overly effective in this game, raise the rear first to make the car less responsive at high speed turning, best track to test is Enna Pergusa. Raise front if the front wanders easily at high speed on slightest input, usually front/rear at 2 or 4 are enough on FR road cars.
Would like to give your settings a shot. PM or leave a link if you please.

Shift 2 Unleashed's race cars look so good that it could've been the inspiration for many Gr. 3 cars in GT Sport.

Thanks. I tried messing around with the settings, and it improved things a whole lot, however I was still having trouble keeping the car on track in certain situations - namely minor adjustments at high speeds. Places like the last straight on Road America with the slight curve, the 'infield' section of Hockeheim. I would nudge the stick to the side, like I have with every other racing game ever, nothing happens, nudge again, nothing, nudge a third time, in the wall. Steering assist fixed this, even if I sacrificed a little bit of pride. It was game breaking for me without it.

Now, if someone could remind these game makers that night races are the exception, rather than the rule, things would be great. Such a cheap difficulty spike.

Thanks. I tried messing around with the settings, and it improved things a whole lot, however I was still having trouble keeping the car on track in certain situations - namely minor adjustments at high speeds. Places like the last straight on Road America with the slight curve, the 'infield' section of Hockeheim. I would nudge the stick to the side, like I have with every other racing game ever, nothing happens, nudge again, nothing, nudge a third time, in the wall. Steering assist fixed this, even if I sacrificed a little bit of pride. It was game breaking for me without it.

Now, if someone could remind these game makers that night races are the exception, rather than the rule, things would be great. Such a cheap difficulty spike.

If you could provide specifics like car, setup etc, maybe I can try it and see how it happens for the minor adjustment at high speed issue 👍 It might be high speed understeer or it could be something else.

My user name is AveryS_24 and I just started playing shift 2 again so if anyone would like to join me and my friend send me a friend request saying I have shift 2

Why didn't I buy this sooner?
And why did I bother buying a cheap PS3 just for GT6?
It's funny, I only got it because I volunteer in a charity shop and someone donated some games yesterday
and I found a copy of the first Shift game for the PS3 in a wrong case.
I thought it was pretty good apart from the frame-rate and car selection.
But then I stumbled upon the Legends DLC for the second game and I had to have it! (On the 360)

Well, I got disheartned when I didn''t get my gift car...so I stopped playing, but the sounds, atmosphere and visuals were top notch, physics were fun, sometimes confusing. I do thank S2U for existing.

I'm disheartened there's a bug where the Ai don't use race liveries for the legend cars in quick race.
I can get them to use liveries for the Shelby Daytona, but only if I use the default plain car myself.

Latest Posts

Back