Who Used A Wheel?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Simon Tibbett
  • 74 comments
  • 5,263 views
Messages
1,034
United States
Athens,Ga
Messages
simtibb
I had my G27 recently crap out and never used it in GT6.

Who uses a wheel in GT6 and do you like it? How realistic is the feel? I'm an iRacing fan but love the European tracks available in GT6 as well as some of the additional cars like the GT3 class cars. I'd like a real experience.

So...who uses a wheel? Yay? Nay? Slower or faster lap times? Realistic feel or is it arcade like?
 
Very realistic due to the Force Feedback, but to me, the feel would end there. There is somewhat of a lack of weight to the steering, and the gearbox but both of those can be modified (warranty voider) to your liking. Realistic feel because the game itself is realistic and you don't have cars crashing about with a turn of the wheel.

For first time users who have never even touched a wheel, lap times will be considerably slower but will improve over time. So they will go from slower than DS3 lap times, to same lap times, to better lap times than DS3. Of course, applying driving techniques and maneuvers would be much harder to do with a wheel than with a DS3. Examples such as drifting, heel and toe, and what not.
 
Is the lack of weight from the wheel or the settings in the game?

I've used a G27 (also just about every other USB Logitech wheel) before and liked the feel, although a little more loose than real cars, the feeling isn't bad.

Speaking of heel and toe, is it possible to drive with the clutch in GT6? Or would it purely be useless and just for show? I have read some cars will have clutch, others sequential, based on real life, but if there is a clutch, what happens if I just don't use it? Anything?
 
Lack of feel will depend on settings and car you're using.
I have my t500 set to 4 or 5 FFB and it felt really good with LMP cars as well as other more powerful cars. Jumped into the Honda Fit yesterday and the feeling was extremely light, almost nonexistent in turns.
 
The cars have a different feel, with the Fit being very light with the FFB, and say the Bugatti being heavy with the FFB, just as it should be in "real" life. The feel doesn't depend 100% on how much FFB you use, but on which car and your FFB setting. :)
 
I got a G27, it was tough at first because I'm still new to it and my times are probably still a tad slower than when I used a DS3. And practicing things like drifting can be intimidating because I'm not that experienced. I get the feeling that that huge snap oversteer you get when trying to get the tail back after a drift is unrealistic, but since I hardly ever drift in real life, I can't really complain.

The wheel actually helps my driving in real life, even though my AE86 irl is considerably weaker than the one in the game, it's about as much fun! I think that's what matters most in driving a car anyway :)

So yeah once you set up your wheel to a comfortable setting, get out there and have fun, you'll be faster than you thought in no time~
 
Wheel is good! I'm hoping fanatec release a new firmware to return the wheels back to the level they were with GT 5...

All the Xbox enhancements for the elite series seems to have fudged the GT support...
 
Speaking of heel and toe, is it possible to drive with the clutch in GT6? Or would it purely be useless and just for show? I have read some cars will have clutch, others sequential, based on real life, but if there is a clutch, what happens if I just don't use it? Anything?

I use a t500rs and th8rs. I don't know if it's the same for the g27, but i guess so because both are suported by the game.

Regarding clutch: yes it works.

You can stall the car.
You can use it with the H-Pattern.
To shift up you have to fully release the accelerator and fully press the clutch. If you miss the car stays in neutral and you have to manually disengage the shift and repeat the process to engage it (there is some threads complaining about this. TLDR: if shifter is in position the car in the game should not be in neutral).
Regarding shifting down, the game allows you to have the accelerator pressed when shifting as long you are also braking. This allows for heel and toe, so it really works.
If you start a race and don't press the clutch a single time you can still use the H-Pattern to change gears (kinda weird if you ask me).
Some cars don't have the H-Pattern avaliable. It happens the same if you upgrade the transmission (don't know for sure what components). I didn't try yet using the clutch with these cars. If the sequential mode works there is a possibility for the clutch to work. Have to try. Maybe someone already know?

Edit: Grammar
 
Last edited:
I have a DFP but haven't used it for GT6 yet cause I have no where to mount it.
 
To shift up you have to fully depress the accelerator and fully press the clutch. /quote]
Depress and press mean the same thing. Not trying to be pedantic, I had to read it a couple of times before I understood because fully depressing the accelerator and fully pressing the clutch would have both pedals on the floor and wouldn't shift at all.
 
I have a DFP but haven't used it for GT6 yet cause I have no where to mount it.
I also have a DFP which comes out every now and again. Here's a tip, put an ironing board on its lowest setting and mount it (sideways) to that. If mounted at the square end, then there should be enough space for you to put your legs under for the pedals. It may look a bit strange, but works for me!
 
Depress and press mean the same thing. Not trying to be pedantic, I had to read it a couple of times before I understood because fully depressing the accelerator and fully pressing the clutch would have both pedals on the floor and wouldn't shift at all.

:banghead: Sorry and thanks. I thought they meant the opposite. Confusion with the prefix "dis-". In portuguese the same prefix is "des-". Will edit. Edited
 
I also have a DFP which comes out every now and again. Here's a tip, put an ironing board on its lowest setting and mount it (sideways) to that. If mounted at the square end, then there should be enough space for you to put your legs under for the pedals. It may look a bit strange, but works for me!
good idea but I don't have an ironing board... or an iron. Ill figure something out eventually.
 
I'm looking into buying a G27 next Thursday not only for Gt6 but for my pc sims, I'm looking forward to it the gamepad works fantastic but there is still a lot to be desired. I just want to bang gears and tear transmissions up.
 
I'm about 20 seconds faster with a wheel than with a controller.
 
I use a Fanatec Elite with CS pedals and it is awesome in game, very strong force feedback lets you feel the car and when you crash it may just hurt you a bit. ;)
 
I actually switched back to my DFGT from my Fanatec CSR.. May sound strange but I like the feel of my DFGT better for GT6, I use my CSR strictly for iracing now and I'm lucky enough to have two separate rigs. I did the paddle shifter upgrade to the DFGT and it makes it allot better.
 
I actually switched back to my DFGT from my Fanatec CSR.. May sound strange but I like the feel of my DFGT better for GT6, I use my CSR strictly for iracing now and I'm lucky enough to have two separate rigs. I did the paddle shifter upgrade to the DFGT and it makes it allot better.

Perhaps you just needed to tweak the settings on your CSR, or possibly have a FW version that is not GT friendly. I have a DFGT as well but would not consider using it over the Elite or the TurboS wheels I have. Nothing against the DFGT but it is definitely not in the same league with these other wheels.
 
your absolutely right, I think I still use it is because I used it so much for GT5 and for me I fear change:lol: that and the fact that my PC is in another room
 
Speaking of heel and toe, is it possible to drive with the clutch in GT6? Or would it purely be useless and just for show?

If you drive with the clutch and turn ABS off, then the auto blip will be off as well (stupid that it can't turned on/off separately I know). Anyway, with ABS & auto blip off, then it becomes essential to heel & toe to stop the tyres chirping & the rear end breaking loose. Strangely the tyres also chirp with ABS on when using the clutch, but the rear end will never break loose even with aggressive downshifts (tyres don't chirp at all with paddles shift). Tested that in a Lotus Esprit V8.

It's kind of fun using the clutch if you can get used to it, but it's not very realistic in GT6. It has all the same problems GT5 Prologue & GT5 had regarding missed gears etc.
 
:banghead: Sorry and thanks. I thought they meant the opposite. Confusion with the prefix "dis-". In portuguese the same prefix is "des-". Will edit. Edited
No worries, wasn't trying to be an a:censored: about it or anything. English can be a confusing language even to native speakers! :cheers:
 
I had my G27 recently crap out and never used it in GT6.

Who uses a wheel in GT6 and do you like it? How realistic is the feel? I'm an iRacing fan but love the European tracks available in GT6 as well as some of the additional cars like the GT3 class cars. I'd like a real experience.

So...who uses a wheel? Yay? Nay? Slower or faster lap times? Realistic feel or is it arcade like?
What happened to your wheel?
 
I am using my Fanatec CSR Elite with GT 6. FF in game is turned down to 4 - because it is that strong with that wheel. I am using different on-wheel-settings for GT6 - depending on the car and race. I have not found a reference setting for GT 6 yet (http://f-wheel.com/settings). The H-shifter problems of GT5 are still there. So misshifting is very common for me. But the feel in the wheel is much better than I do remember from GT5.

By the way: I think my firmware is 750.
 
I am using my Fanatec CSR Elite with GT 6. FF in game is turned down to 4 - because it is that strong with that wheel. I am using different on-wheel-settings for GT6 - depending on the car and race. I have not found a reference setting for GT 6 yet (http://f-wheel.com/settings). The H-shifter problems of GT5 are still there. So misshifting is very common for me. But the feel in the wheel is much better than I do remember from GT5.

By the way: I think my firmware is 750.

I'm using 5 in game on the FFB which is as you know pretty strong when using an elite wheel at 100 on the wheel but I like it like that or at least until I get hit while turning and it tries to tear my arm off ;)

I am using FW 719 I think, I had a later one on the wheel for a while but did not like the way it felt in Forza and did not see much difference in GT so I went back to the older one.

My wheel settings if it helps are

FF 100
Sen OFF
ABS 70
Sho 50

all others off or 0

When driving the Red Bull JR the Sen Off is a bit high on the ratio, I find that one quite a bit easier to drive if I use 540 for the Sen, haven't tried any other settings in GT6 and generally keep Sen off in all the other cars and even most times in the RB Jr even though it does take a bit of wheel cranking to get around the sharp corners.
 
My wheel settings if it helps are

FF 100
Sen OFF
ABS 70
Sho 50

all others off or 0

Thanks a lot. I switch between these 2 wheel settings ( A and B ) on my CSR Elite:

A B
Sen Off Off (and I agree that this is too much for a formular car)
FF 100 100
Sho 100 050
dri 0 2
ABS 100 100
Lin 0 0
dea 0 0
SPr -2 0
dPr 3 0

For those interested in the possibities of that wheel, here is the manual: http://eu.fanatec.com/download/CSR_E_Manual.zip

I think it is a shame that Fanatec no longer sells this ultimate multiplattform wheel.
 
I'm much faster with wheel.. Used to use G25, then got a CSR, CSR Elite pedals (w/ load cell brake).. G25 is better in a lot of ways actually, but the CSR allows more adjustment on the wheel. Point is, it is still a lot like G27, because PS3 "sees" the CSR as a G25, which is a G27 basically.

I couldn't gold that 787B mission with controller after several tries, aced it with wheel on third or fourth try. You can turn off all aids with a wheel and go faster, for me I cannot do that on my DS3.

It is worth the hassle of using a wheel.. but sometimes it is still fun to sit back and relax and use a controller.


lvl 5 force feedback in GT5

Sen - 650 to 720, for drifting.. 450
FF - 100, for drifting, 80 to 90
Sho - 70
dri - 0, for drifting up to 4
ABS - 66
Lin - 0, up to 30 for drifting
dea - 0
SPr - 0
dPr - 0
 
Last edited:
I completed virtually all of career mode with a DS3, and whilst waiting for more seasonal content to arrive, i thought I'd go back and try and gold things I'd just quickly passed through. I still had a few problems on some... so out came my DFP. It definitely helped me gold the X1 at Goodwood, and has been useful elsewhere in putting the fininshing touches to challenges.

I am definately slower with the DFP as on the Hudson and latest 15th Aniv TTs I'm a good few seconds off my DS3 time. However I've moved my grinding to doing the RedBull Jnr and NASCAR championships and 24m Le Mans and I feel it's a much better experience to use a wheel. Though the wheel can't stay out forever (as it's attached to an ironing board see above) and it can be quite a faff to set up for a quick race. So I think I'll mainly be DS3, but if the new RedBull challenges have the X1 in (as I'm sure they will), then the wheel is coming back out!
 
Back