Who Used A Wheel?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Simon Tibbett
  • 74 comments
  • 5,263 views
Thanks a lot. I switch between these 2 wheel settings ( A and B ) on my CSR Elite:

A B
Sen Off Off (and I agree that this is too much for a formular car)
FF 100 100
Sho 100 050
dri 0 2
ABS 100 100
Lin 0 0
dea 0 0
SPr -2 0
dPr 3 0

I use ABS 70 due to the vibration feedback in the peddles, They will start to vibrate when you hit that percentage of braking, it is a very good indicator as to how much brake you are using and can help a lot if you are using ABS 0.

I originally set it that way for playing Forza 4 with ABS Off and found it worked very well, works well on GT6 also.

I pretty much never hit 100% brake unless I am in panic mode so at 100 I would not get the feedback from the brake.

Does the CSR Elite peddles give the vibration feedback on the brake like the CS peddles do?
 
I just can´t think of driving on GT6 without a wheel....

BTW, has the bug that plague GT5 regarding the "lag" online (playing with the wheel vs DS3) been fixed for GT6?

I remember losing almost a second and a half on Monza, for example. Quite annoying bug...
 
GT6 FFB seems to have a huge difference in the strength of forces per car.
I spent a while trying to dial my T500RS wheel in so that I have minimal clipping (FFB saturation, see below for details), and I ended up with this:
- Race cars = FFB 2 or 3 depending on how heavy they are
- Sports cars = FFB 3 or 4 depending on whether PD simulated power steering, suspension and tyre choice
- RWD or 4WD Road cars = FFB 4
- FWD Road cars = FFB 5

I am pretty sure that GT6 (with the T500RS) is linearly increasing forces with FFB between 1-10, however anything above 5 gives you heavy forces and amazing fast spin speed but also clipping so you only feel cornering forces and every other nuance is gone. Makes cars feel completely numb and you can't "feel" the car to drive it properly. Drop down FFB to the right level and the wheel becomes less heavy however you suddenly get all those little nuances about the road surface, grip levels, weight transfer, etc...

I'm not sure how the Logitech wheel FFB support (and therefore Fanatec piggy-back support) is done in GT6, so I can't tell whether there's the same thing as T500RS support. But if you ever feel that a car is heavy and numb, lower FFB down and you should find it makes the car come alive nicely.
 
Last edited:
Can't go wrong with GT6 FF setting at 5 with the G25, G27, or as a bi-product, Fanatec stuff really. I don't think anything is lost to clipping, and if left at 100% on wheel.. nothing is lost to clipping on the wheel either. I think clipping does start to happen with FF set to 6 in game though, and gets worse and worse up to 10, that's just my subjective feeling... You also get a different sort of clipping when setting anything below 100 FF on the wheel (at least on my CSR).. That is confirmed by Fanatec.

Edit-- CSR Elite pedals do not have ABS vibration in the pedals.. it is done in separate motors in the wheel rim. It works quite well. I also have bass shakers on my rig, and combined with regular FF, it is a little confusing at times, but it all works together pretty well.
 
G25 works beautifully with GT6. Tuning has made a massive difference to my times. Wheels and rigs, take race sims to a different level.
 
Cannot imagine doing GT5/GT6 or my PC sims without a wheel.
I think the wheel provides a more effective way to perform inputs.

Used a wheel all through GT5 and GT6.
Started with Fanatec stuff a few years ago, and migrated to T500 last Feb.
I prefer no driving aids, and 0 ABS, but what works for me, may not work for others.

GT6 FFB seems to have a huge difference in the strength of forces per car....

skazz, thanks for sharing your observations about the T500 FFB in GT6.
I had used FFB6 in GT5, and turned down to FFB5 for GT6.
It still felt a bit too much for some cars, now I know why.
 
Last edited:
I used a wheel,driving force gt,and use it on this game is great.the force feedback in gt6 is a lot better then I though.it still feels strong but "stronger" then gt5.i used it in like 3 or 4 years and it is still working
 
Drop down FFB to the right level and the wheel becomes less heavy however you suddenly get all those little nuances about the road surface, grip levels, weight transfer, etc...

I agree that you feel MORE. But definately not ALL! If you want to feel what a sim is able to do in regards of force feedback to the wheel you still have to try Forza 4. Forza really shines in this aspect giving you detailled information about the tyres and the street. That is the thing I am missing most in GT 6. But it has gotten better than in GT 5.
 
I have never used the DS3 or any other controller. Started with PGR2 on the original xbox using a $29 wheel without force feedback and with a "thigh wedge" for support …. now with a G27 on a desk.I tried using the DS3 yesterday to do a quick test with a car and spent more time trying to find (and remember) which button did what and my steering was worse than a drunk trying to walk a straight line. So a lap of Mt Panorama which would have taken just over two minutes with the wheel turned into a 3:30 fiasco with the DS3.

So the moral of the story is that if you are used to one more than the other your times will suffer when you switch.
 
I'm not sure how the Logitech wheel FFB support (and therefore Fanatec piggy-back support) is done in GT6, so I can't tell whether there's the same thing as T500RS support. But if you ever feel that a car is heavy and numb, lower FFB down and you should find it makes the car come alive nicely.
I can't say that I have noticed any clipping using my Fanatec Elite. I use a setting of 5 in game and 100 on wheel. I can feel quite a lot in it.

I agree that you feel MORE. But definately not ALL! If you want to feel what a sim is able to do in regards of force feedback to the wheel you still have to try Forza 4. Forza really shines in this aspect giving you detailled information about the tyres and the street. That is the thing I am missing most in GT 6. But it has gotten better than in GT 5.
The biggest thing where Forza shines over GT is that Forza makes use of the vibration motors in the wheel and GT does not. If Gt were to do this as well it would be awesome!
 
I agree that you feel MORE. But definately not ALL! If you want to feel what a sim is able to do in regards of force feedback to the wheel you still have to try Forza 4. Forza really shines in this aspect giving you detailled information about the tyres and the street. That is the thing I am missing most in GT 6. But it has gotten better than in GT 5.
Since I played Forza 4 for years with a Fanatec wheel, I'll respectfully disagree. Yes, there are some reasonable effects for front tyre grip, but you feel almost nothing of the road surface and Forza really doesn't give you FFB feel changes between cars: They all feel pretty much the same.
My best FFB experience so far is Assetto Corsa with the T500RS. No console game approaches that.
 
My best FFB experience so far is Assetto Corsa with the T500RS. No console game approaches that.

Thank you very much for that information. Now I definately have to buy a new High-End PC and install Assetto Corsa (and Project Cars) when they become available ;-)
 
Threw the old G27 away and ordered a new one. I am sure it wasn't completely toast but was just very used and I didn't want to repair it.

The issue I have is if I have to teach myself how to use it it's not worth it because it will alter my mindset when driving in real life. I just want a way to get "realistic" seat time in my living room that may not benefit real driving greatly but it won't hurt it either. I spent so much time in iRacing before an event at Road Atlanta that while in the car IRL I kept catching myself doing things that were from iRacing and would not have worked in the car I was driving. Hahahaha Point being I don't want to spend so much time trying to learn to be fast in a fake environment in GT6 that it causes bad habits, obviously it's easy to remind yourself it's a game or IRL to forget about the bad habits but it just robs the experience for me personally.

It gets here today so we will see.
 
Lack of feel will depend on settings and car you're using.
I have my t500 set to 4 or 5 FFB and it felt really good with LMP cars as well as other more powerful cars. Jumped into the Honda Fit yesterday and the feeling was extremely light, almost nonexistent in turns.


I would like if PD put the FFB settings in "Driving Options" as well so it could be adjusted for each car individually.
 
Got a wheel, horrible. After messing with settings for an hour I gave up, bye bye PS3 and GT6!
 
Well what setting are you using because that wheel should work great.

Try 5 on the FF in game. I've had two G25s which has almost identical force feedback, and it works great in these games. Now I have a CSR which mimics a G25, and it also works perfectly. Using 5 helps. Too high FF in game will cause issues. Better too little than too much FF.

Oh, turn off "power steering" setting.. That sucks.

Also try bumping up "sensitivity" to 7. I find anything lower induces lag, which hurts when trying to correct over-steer.
 
BWX
Well what setting are you using because that wheel shoudl work great.

Try 5 on the FF in game. I've had two G25s which has almost identical force feedback, and it works great in these games. Now I have a CSR which mimics a G25, and it also works perfectly. Using 5 helps. Too high FF in game will cause issues. Better too little than too much FF.

I tried every FFB setting, tried it with "power steering" on and off, different cars, etc. It seems like the wheel brings out all of the bad in the physics engine. It's about as far from "real" as you can get.
 
GT5 and GT6 both are known for having excellent force feedback. Try starting off with an underpowered FF car to get used to it. Seriously. Do a bunch of laps at Brands hatch, Autumn ring, etc.. All aids off.

Then maybe move to a miata or something, like an S2000.. Then try an NSX. It's good.. believe me. You have to get used to it a little for sure though.
 
BWX
GT5 and GT6 both are known for having excellent force feedback. Try starting off with an underpowered FF car to get used to it. Seriously. Do a bunch of laps at Brands hatch, Autumn ring, etc.. All aids off.

Then maybe move to a miata or something, like an S2000.. Then try an NSX. It's good.. believe me. You have to get used to it a little for sure though.

I drove everything from a Civic to a GT3 GTR. lol

The fact that it would take so much getting use to completely ruins it and means you're only building skill for this game, nothing else. I know GT6 is not a sim, but I thought it would have been more lively with a wheel. It just feels so fake.

I did like using the clutch on the cars that allowed it though.
 
I dunno.. Maybe something is wrong. Thought I Heard of a bug with G27 wheels.. Not sure what that was though.

If you are using anything over 5 for FF, maybe try lower,like 4 and give it a go with just paddle shifter. Try 9 and 3 on the wheel, I know a lot of people try to spin it around and grab it on top and that never works well.

All I can say is that most people regard FF in GT6 as one of it's stronger suits, and as someone who has been sim-racing for decades and has had experience with several wheels and several platforms and sims. It is pretty good.


BTW, it took no getting used to for me. I jumped right on and drove competitively instantly. I am used to FF in sims though in general.
 
I tried every FFB setting, tried it with "power steering" on and off, different cars, etc. It seems like the wheel brings out all of the bad in the physics engine. It's about as far from "real" as you can get.
Thats why guys I know who have participated in GT Academy say driving the 370z in Gran Turismo is pretty close to real life in most aspects. :lol:
 
BWX
I dunno.. Maybe something is wrong. Thought I Heard of a bug with G27 wheels.. Not sure what that was though.

If you are using anything over 5 for FF, maybe try lower,like 4 and give it a go with just paddle shifter. Try 9 and 3 on the wheel, I know a lot of people try to spin it around and grab it on top and that never works well.

All I can say is that most people regard FF in GT6 as one of it's stronger suits, and as someone who has been sim-racing for decades and has had experience with several wheels and several platforms and sims. It is pretty good.


BTW, it took no getting used to for me. I jumped right on and drove competitively instantly. I am used to FF in sims though in general.

I have used wheels for years on rFactor, iRacing, even the old old Logitech back in Sports Car GT. LOL

I'm not new to using a wheel, I'm using the same G27 right now on iRacing without issues. In GT6 cars tank slap like crazy, there's a strange dead zone feel, it's just very unrealistic. I tried 3 with paddles, same thing, the car was easier to control but still no ideal.
 
Thats why guys I know who have participated in GT Academy say driving the 370z in Gran Turismo is pretty close to real life in most aspects. :lol:

LOL.......

Because people in GT Academy would bash GT?
 
Here's a little more description if anyone can help, I WANT it to work and feel realistic, so although slightly annoyed I'm going to try again in the morning.

I feel like it may be a bad physics thing too, I can be going close to 45mph and the car will tank slap, anything above 100mph caused you to FIGHT the wheel, I always lose, the car goes into a spin.

I don't know what else to try really. I ran lower and higher FFB, tried the power steering, should I mess with the controller sensitivity too is it that the actual controller only?

What I want is a way to keep fresh so to speak at home, as mentioned learning to drive on GT6 if its not as close to real life as something else just makes no sense to me.

I ran a wheel in other GTs minus GT5 and loved it, but I was much younger and had little actual seat time in a real car.
 
Whats your point?

That just because someone endorses something doesn't always mean its true.

Maybe I just have it setup wrong, but until I get it right, this feels nothing like any car I've been on track in. Lol
 
Yeah but this is a close friend who is not under a contract to prevent him from saying negative things about GT Academy. Seriously if you have all this seat time, then you most likely have a defective unit or have something wrong with the settings. Plenty of other people around here have no issue.
 
Back