Why are more people not bothered about no rear-view mirror?

France
France
PD have some strange design choices, but for the most part I can at least see where they are coming from and respect their decision regardless of what I think.

But.. No rear-view mirror in any view besides bumper cam? No blindspot assist in any view besides bumper cam? Are they serious?

I would have thought there would be way more people complaining. “Just use look back button”. “Just use the radar”. “Just use bumper cam”. I’m sorry but there’s no reasoning acceptable for this design choice.

I don’t want to use the look back button every second I am trying to concentrate on racing. I want to have the fuel mixture up instead of the radar. I don’t want to use bumper cam.

I can’t believe we are accepting this in an “FIA” approved game with the upcoming championship.

PD have some strange design choices, but for the most part I can at least see where they are coming from and respect their decision regardless of what I think.

But.. No rear-view mirror in any view besides bumper cam? No blindspot assist in any view besides bumper cam? Are they serious?

I would have thought there would be way more people complaining. “Just use look back button”. “Just use the radar”. “Just use bumper cam”. I’m sorry but there’s no reasoning acceptable for this design choice.

I don’t want to use the look back button every second I am trying to concentrate on racing. I want to have the fuel mixture up instead of the radar. I don’t want to use bumper cam.

I can’t believe we are accepting this in an “FIA” approved game with the upcoming championship.

I agree 10000000000000000000000%. Not having a rearview mirror is ludicrous.

I did see people complain about this often back then. It sort of just died down and people didn't talk about it anymore. But I do want a rear view mirror in every view

Yes, even in cockpit. 99% of the time the mirrors are either obstructed/too far that you can only see an inch of it, or it's simply too small

It's a game balance decision made by PD.

In bumper cam, you have rear view, but have less knowledge on what is happening beside your car.

In roof/chase cam, you have better positional awareness, but don't have rear view.

It's a trade off, and Kaz doesn't want a 'this is the best view so everyone use that'. It's a compromise in each view and players can choose what they prefer. If I can drive bumper and have left/right situational awareness, why can someone not drive roof and check rear view as need be?

https://www.gtplanet.net/kazunori-yamauchi-e3-multiclass-racing-customized-race-suits-another-beta/

In bumper cam, you have rear view, but have less knowledge on what is happening beside your car.

In roof/chase cam, you have better positional awareness, but don't have rear view.

It's a trade off, and Kaz doesn't want a 'this is the best view so everyone use that'. It's a compromise in each view and players can choose what they prefer. If I can drive bumper and have left/right situational awareness, why can someone not drive roof and check rear view as need be?

https://www.gtplanet.net/kazunori-yamauchi-e3-multiclass-racing-customized-race-suits-another-beta/

I get that it's his game and he can make what ever decisions he wants, but that is idiotic.

Its HIS opinion that hood camera is better than bumper cam. Not everyone agrees to that.

I get that it's his game and he can make what ever decisions he wants, but that is idiotic.

Its HIS opinion that hood camera is better than bumper cam. Not everyone agrees to that.

-Roof cam is higher, gives you better view of the road and what is up ahead.
-You can see the edge of the car so can better place the car where you want on the track.
-You can visually see the car under or over rotating when turning.
-You can see opposing cars on the edge of your screen with visual reference to how far they are away from your car.

These are advantages Roof cam has over bumper cam. It is easier to see the track ahead, and will give you more visual feedback than bumper cam. I don't think those points can be argued?

Just like picking a car for a track. Some are better at cornering, and others in a straight line. If you give one car the best of both, then that car will be used always. Give one view all the advantages, no other view would be used, or you would be slower.

-Roof cam is higher, gives you better view of the road and what is up ahead.
-You can see the edge of the car so can better place the car where you want on the track.
-You can visually see the car under or over rotating when turning.
-You can see opposing cars on the edge of your screen with visual reference to how far they are away from your car.

These are advantages Roof cam has over bumper cam. It is easier to see the track ahead, and will give you more visual feedback than bumper cam. I don't think those points can be argued?

Just like picking a car for a track. Some are better at cornering, and others in a straight line. If you give one car the best of both, then that car will be used always. Give one view all the advantages, no other view would be used, or you would be slower.

If it were such an advantage why do so many of the fastest drivers use bumper cam in time trial? Even one of the fastest GT6 drivers who used hood cam switched to bumper in GTS. And what about the advantage of bumper cam of having a crystal clear view in front of you without a hood/roof covering a large amount of the screen? I’m sorry but I don’t believe any of those reasons gives them a right to take away the rear-view mirror.

And aren’t you forgetting... cockpit view? How is that such an advantage? (the rear-view mirror in the car is not always perfectly visible).

I don't think that there is one better view than an other one. I know that @kie25 (channel here) is one of the fastest guys in EU and he uses cockpit cam. So it all depend of the driver's skills in my opinion.

Neither do I. The fastest DS4 player uses chase cam. Many top drivers use bumper and hood/roof cam. Kie uses cockpit, and Lightning even got the Kyoto world record at the time in cockpit.

I don’t know how that’s acceptable to not allow rear-view mirror and the black blind spot assist you get with bumper cam though. Especially in cockpit, where often you cannot see the mirror/screen so clearly and it’s difficult enough to see.

If it were such an advantage why do so many of the fastest drivers use bumper cam in time trial? Even one of the fastest GT6 drivers who used hood cam switched to bumper in GTS. And what about the advantage of bumper cam of having a crystal clear view in front of you without a hood/roof covering a large amount of the screen? I’m sorry but I don’t believe any of those reasons gives them a right to take away the rear-view mirror.

And aren’t you forgetting... cockpit view? How is that such an advantage? (the rear-view mirror in the car is not always perfectly visible).

I'm not saying it is such an advantage. I was saying that those are the advantages of that view. There are advantages/disadvantages to each view. It is in PD/Kaz eyes that adding a mirror will provide the roof cam with too much of an advantage over the others. As you may have read in this thread, many fast drivers use each of the views. Personally I use bumper cam, I prefer it for my driving style. I cannot use bumper cam in assetto corsa, that I use cockpit view. But for GT, I love the bumper view.

Cockpit view adds more reference points for driving around the track. Often with bumper view, I use the edge of the screen as my markers on a particular track feature as my brake zone. Sometimes those markers won't line up exact to the edge of the screen, so I have to estimate my brake/turn/accel points. With cockpit view, you have a lot more markers (the frame of the car) to reference your brake/turn/accel points from. Although even with that advantage, I feel cockpit view has the least advantages and is more there for the simulation aspect of driving a car. Hence why a lot of players request view locks as an option to lock everyone in a lobby to cockpit view, so they feel more immersed and less at a disadvantage.

It’s difficult when you are racing so closely and competitively compared to having a proper mirror and the dark blind spot/proximity assists.

In bumper view, I use left/right views to watch cars on my inside/outside, radar and proximity sensor gives an idea, but not to the same level of actually looking at the car. It's a flick of the button to guage what the opponent is doing. If I didn't have a mirror, I would be using the rear view in much the same way.

It wasn't an issue for me in the past because I had been a bumper cam user. However, I was having struggles getting up to speed in GT Sport and ended up switching over to roof cam. From my perspective, not having the additional viewing aids available is a major annoyance although the tradeoff of being faster somewhat makes up for it. That and I've learned how to use the real-time intervals as a gauge on how often I need to check behind me.

Still, I would rather have the rear view in roof cam anyways.

FiA, really? Formula 1 has no rear view mirror, only tiny side mirrors. You hear the drivers moan about it after every race, practice session or qualifying? I don't. And you'd think they would since their actual lives are at stake, not some video game numbers.

Every time i get enoyed by the lack of mirrors in my fave view (hood) i jump into the cocpit cam on the Porche Hybrid or some of the other LMP1 cars and i instantly feel better about how mutch i can and cant see

Well the trade offs, fairly annoying as they can be, does it's job so that not one view is OP. At N24 for example there was a 50/50 split between hood and bumper, and then 1 with chase cam. I know a few other guys at the top of A+ who use chase cam and cockpit as well.

Also the radar is more useful than rear view (in my experience anyway). If there was a way to force it on everyone's HUD that would be great as it improves situational awareness immensely.

I can understand their stance from a balance point of view, but mine comes from a safety point of view. There are countless accidents I could have avoided if there was a way to see the car behind me. Most of the time it’s from divebombers and people who lock up their brakes at every corner. The hood/roof camera gives us zero warning of these extremely common incidents without a rear view mirror.

The game isn’t enjoyable when you’re involved in accidents because you can’t see anything behind you. At the moment, the game’s blind spot warnings aren’t good enough (I would be glad if they could directly copy Forza 7’s system) and the radar is useless when you need to see another menu option, such as fuel your fuel map.

FiA, really? Formula 1 has no rear view mirror, only tiny side mirrors. You hear the drivers moan about it after every race, practice session or qualifying? I don't. And you'd think they would since their actual lives are at stake, not some video game numbers.

Is this a joke? :lol: :odd:

Dan
I can understand their stance from a balance point of view, but mine comes from a safety point of view. There are countless accidents I could have avoided if there was a way to see the car behind me. Most of the time it’s from divebombers and people who lock up their brakes at every corner. The hood/roof camera gives us zero warning of these extremely common incidents without a rear view mirror.

This is exactly how I feel. The best example I can think of is the first corner of Nürburgring GP which is really wide and slow, meaning that if you are racing closely to others someone can easily dive left or right under braking. It’s not easy to use the look back button in these circumstances in a difficult corner, and if you have the fuel mixture or TCS/BB up instead of radar, it can lead to contact without you knowing. It’s not enough to check behind you before the corner because a lot happens mid-corner too.

The lack of mirrors/visibility is one thing, but the lack of blindspot assist on cockpit view makes it almost unusable for races with other people. I mean it's possible, I've raced Gr.3 in cockpit and had no issues, but it's a risk every time. Cockpit view needs more visibility assistance than any other view, and it has the least amount. Simply egregious.

Latest Posts

Back